Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Why are there no gifs of Gumshoe's amazing Full-Body Breathing Exercise, and of his great little chuckle-smile, and his incredible lookaround waggle, that dude has some serious eyebrow game

What i'm asking here is why isn't every picture of Gumshoe animated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rotinaj posted:

Okay, two things. A, I said that I was pretty sure the legal system was based on the Japanese one, so y'all guys can chill. It's just a thing that bugged me...

B, when I played through all the games up to Apollo Justice.

God drat y'all jump on people's poo poo fast when they criticize the game.
Nah, you're just a wet blanket. None of the responses read as an attack or criticism against you from an outside perspective, they're purely informational!

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 24, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Look at this neat as heck thing in a twitter video:

https://twitter.com/aqua_rondo/status/713529228667400198

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Edgeworth really puts on the pressure. He's real quick to throw in objections when you aimlessly press witnesses, and is pretty good on ruthlessly calling and decimating your bluffs.

Still one of the best adversaries in the series.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The technology to look at items from different angles was only invented towards the end of this game.

You'll see.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Excuse me, i think you meant confuscating.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a broken [/img tag somewhere in there, and Edgeworth's "confess your crime" isn't capitalized.

I love how Edgeworth can just completely rejuvinate his case from the brink of certain-looking defeat here. And let's be fair, The "witness" here is such a complete moron that that is quite a piece of work for the prosecution.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've played all the games that Phoenix appears in as an actual laywer (let's not talk about that weird Project X zone game or the fighting one), and i think the only time a case is ever not about murder is in a spin-off game.

edit: what i'm saying is that A LOT of people die in Japanifornia

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 24, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Phoenix can definitely call witnesses to the stand, he does it several times, but he needs Good Reasons to do so before it's accepted.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's not like this "recently deceased mentor's teachings come to the rescue in times of great crisis" trope is particularly uncommon. It's often accompanied with aura/visual hallucinations or flashbacks to make more of an impact, too.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Poor Edgeworth. Beaten by a confession from his idiotic witness that the defense's last-minute deus ex machina asspull somehow drew out.

Look at that indignation. That frustration.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kopijeger posted:

Having the clothing and hairstyle of Maya makes sense. Appearing to have her own body and face yet having Maya's hair colour much less so.

It's... it's kind of a thing. Don't worry, the game will bring this up.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sssh, don't spoil the fun. We'll get to it. :neckbeard:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There's a lot of uh, sides to her, more than you'd ever wish to see, but the games at least use them pretty well. We've barely met Oldbag in the LP though, let's not jump the lasergun and wait for people to see why she's so famous for themselves.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even Edgeworth is afraid surprised!

I love this part. :allears:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Huh. So even though we discovered all these new people, they can all vouch for each other. Nick's probably sweating bullets right now.

Not just him, apparently... *sweats*

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

: (This feels great!)

He's so happy about bullying a small child.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

I still find it super lame that there aren't any non-murder trials in these games

Not quite true

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
To be honest, ties with the mafia is kind of small stuff compared to some of the people Phoenix has to go up against later.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was about to make a post illustrating Edgeworth's stance and how it stems from him being basically the anti-Phoenix, and the duality of the firm beliefs of "the defendant is innocent / guilty" between those two...

... but the upcoming case will do most of the work for me, so i'll just refer to that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Falconer posted:

So the person firing the gun is holding it with their left hand, but the picture of Edgeworth with the gun shows him holding it with his right hand. Is Edgey ambidextrous?

Mirrored sprites.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They intentionally hosed with the proportions (everyone's really tall and has big hands and so on) to give them more impact in the court battle scenes. They had to work with cartoony sprites on a really constrained GBA screen, after all.

Doesn't hold up so well in higher resolutions or more "realistic" depictions.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Haifisch posted:

With minimal spoilers: The guy with the best testimony title in the series would disagree. The one from the Dual Destinies DLC. You know the guy.

I would've known even without the DLC part. That was a fantastic scene. "Best testimony title" really gives it away :allears:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Keep in mind that the price for Dual Destinies is deceptive, it's actually higher, because the DLC is basically mandatory and probably not discounted. :)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

But every time I do it makes me laugh.

Same. :v:

This'll happen a few more times during the games. it get me every time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MegaZeroX posted:

Happy deathiversery Mia! :woop:

Not yet. The game takes place in 2016, so Mia died today.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
von Karma is usually extremely thorough. There's a reason for his famed perfect record. Dude doesn't take any chances.

Look at this. He knew this would happen. He's been training Edgeworth for a long time, and knows exactly how he ticks.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think we've got basically all the parts we need to piece together what happened, now. The really tough part is that we'll need to prove it.

Remember, the proof needs to be in the Court Record for you to present it. :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KataraniSword posted:

Do Japan's gun control laws forbid pistolwhipping a window open to be able to breathe until the elevator gets unjammed? That seems like the clearest option being suggested.

Just throwing the gun made it go off, repeated pistol-whipping would've resulted in a bloody massacre.

That's all ignoring the windows itself. Have any of you ever been in an elevator with these door windows? They are usually pretty heavy duty. Even normal glass doesn't break as easily as in the movies, and even the pistol shot in the photo just punctured a small hole, the webbed glass around it still holds.

I guess one method would have been shooting several holes into the windows, which they might not have wanted to consider for a lot of obvious reasons

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

This gets really annoying when I've figured out what happened and have a piece of evidence I think will prove it but the game is like 'woah slow down there son, your a crazy man.'
Which turns into showing a different bit of proof which leads to something being added to the court record, which I later show as proof... And then I'm allowed to present my first piece of evidence to solve the case :shepicide:

You mean, like

(there's no spoilers in the above pic, it's entirely made up)

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Phoenix' defense creed wouldn't quite work in that case. He only defends innocent people. :v:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, we've yet to both see the best character and hear the best character theme, which unsurprisingly go together.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, the writing in this scene is so good. Really funny AND characterising the people very well.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Now that the cat's outta the bag in regards to the car, i can post this, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExLEmVQSGLM

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

To be fair, Edgeworth is von Karma's student and has a pretty bad reputation as a "Demon Prosecutor".

And he did arrange testimony at least once during Case 2, having the bellboy omit mention of Redd White.

To be fair, part of that was probably pressure from above to "keep our good friend and benefactor Redd White out of this". Since Edgeworth isn't the Chief of Prosecution, he can't just say "nuts to you and your extortion attempt, i'll do this my way". :ssh:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The best new character of this case is finally here!

And yeah, whenever the camera cuts to him, just imagine him staring into your eyes, blinking twice, before he starts talking.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

I helped my uncle, Jack, off a horse.

You should really take your horses to a vet instead of euthanising them yourself.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nick is very easy to read.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Mzbundifund posted:

Why is Gant so into swimming?

Excellent time to bond with the subordinates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

resurgam40 posted:

I burst out laughing when I saw that. I know they're trying to build him up as sinister, but a literal PIPE ORGAN... it's really great.

Haven't you listened to his theme? :confused: What else would you play that on than a pipe organ?

You should always click music links. Ace Attorney without music is only 40% of the experience.

• Locked thread