Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

theshim posted:

Yesss. The very first chink in his armor.

God the spritework for these games is fantastic.
I'm very fond of his super-smug shrug and headshake. Just really wants to make you show him up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Mors Rattus posted:

: , I'd be giving up the very reaosn I became a lawyer!

: Mr. Wright!0

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

It is ineffable that she would do this.

I seldom pay attention to mundane details such as time and place.
Are those two like... correct?

Edit - no, I mean... it seems like RW is actually using an applicable word in its correct meaning.

quote:

The hotel bellboy has stated on the record thath e does remember you very clearly.

And, even i nthe highly unlikely event that I did do such a thing...

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 16, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

De ja vu all over again.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

mateo360 posted:

still a couple of omg's in there.
That judge is so angry, omg.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm afraid that it oculd be anyone in that costume.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

I still find it super lame that there aren't any non-murder trials in these games, but according to threads on the subject, you couldn't get any tension out of a trial that doesn't threaten a death sentence.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dinictus posted:

Also this is one of the few times where Gumshoe really shines at his job and it makes him (one of the many) Best Character in this series.
This is the case in which various characters really come into their own.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Thanks for including this :)

The video isn't mine, but it's really great, and if you're not watching it, you're missing out. The game has a fairly limited set of tools in terms of sprites and music tracks, but goddamn if it doesn't pull together an amazing scene using these.

On the other hand, the anime kinda bungled this bit. Nowhere near as much of an impact.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 9, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: Thanks for ocming down, pal!

: I get the feeling htat if he'd done something wrong,

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

This completely misses the point of why dumb laws are great.
That's, uh... not how laws are made. You'd certainly have to convince 50% of some group to vote "yes" on that law, but that group is rarely 50% of the relevant legislature, never mind the constituency they represent.

A great number of laws are passed by a small group merely because no one else was in attendance / objected, any number of regulations are encoded in law despite never getting an "up and down" proper vote, a lot of laws or bylaws are bundled together in ways that don't really make sense ("Here's an omnibus education funding bill. Oh, and it has a rider about people shooting bigfoot. No, you can't object to just that part.")

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Goods and Services Tax Act, Australia, section 165.55 (1999) posted: posted:

Huh. "Kafkaesque" gets misused a lot, but that probably fits the definition to a T.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 20, 2016

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: The printso n the gun

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: I'll get the report on MAya

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah judging by actual physical features Lotta's character designer clearly intended her to be a black woman, but then some bright spark was like, "I like mayonnaise. Hint hint."
That's nowhere close to how Japanese animators draw black people.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yes, because all Japanese people draw exactly the same way, forever,
Not necessarily. But there is such a thing as a "common style", and the people illustrating Phoenix Wright don't really deviate from it.

quote:

and also all anime is about white people, and the only distinguishing feature anyone of any race has is skin color.
:what:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: Ten years of files and tne years of dust, I guess.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: Er... very well, no opening statemnts so...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: Order! Order! Well, this is the first time somethinbg has happened like this in my court.

: Well, we've come this for.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

"O God, since thou made Miles Edgeworth, why did thou also create Phoenix Wright?"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

It also says: "This is your last chance! Now is your time to get revenge o nthe two men who ruined your life!" ...

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Malah posted:

^ Pretty much sums up my sentiments on these characters so far.

Ditto.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Malah posted:

I really hope to eventually find out what Angel Starr's deal is. How the hell does a detective get titled the "Cough Up Queen?" Undercover hooker seems a bit too obvious.
Confessions. I'm not sure if you're being serious, but that's the "a bit too obvious" explanation for me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: How was he killeD?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: Where have we heard htat name before?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Aerdan posted:

...And here we have an example of why the Oxford comma is important.
I'm having trouble reading this sentence as referring to anything other than 3 distinct persons. Could you illustrate your line of thought?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Anyways, in that context a comma would be absurdly inappropriate when compared to brackets or dashes.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: You're just saying thatb ecause

: HE's

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Go, Jiroumaru!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: I wouldn't recommeend

: So, go ahead! Investigate that room ro

: But, why would evidence fro mthat case

L W-wait,

: If you leave thingsh anging

: Oh, right! Wow, that feels like it wsa ages ago.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Have you considered accepting poster contributions for dumb laws?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

AlphaKretin posted:

I'd be against this, to be honest. The reason the book he was using as a source was written was because there's a boatload of :happened: about dumb laws online, and it'd be a lot of extra work for Mors to filter through the potential crap.
I guess it would require a [citation needed]?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

MightyPretenders posted:

So why the hell was everyone going on about Simultaneous murders at any point in this case?
I still have no idea. Seems odd, even by PW standards.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

As a satire of the Japanese legal system, this would work better if it wasn't a series of cases in which the defense / player keep achieving the impossible.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: We got a temr for that.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: So, what happened next?

Where's the start of that sentence?

PS - I still don't understand the logic that lead anyone to the "double murder" conclusion, even by PW "logic" standards.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 22, 2017

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

CaptianKatsura posted:

I don't think anyone in the Police Department actually thought Bruce Goodman was murdered in the Evidence Room while simultaneously being murdered in the Prosecutor's Office.
While also being murdered in the Parking Lot. That man sure does get around.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: (Maybe IU should ask

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

:] That's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Mors Rattus posted:

: it's supposed to start bothing you, pal!

• Locked thread