Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have never had an avatar since I joined 6 years ago because I never had anything I deemed worth spending money on.

Now I do. Not getting it now because I'm broke but thank you in advance.

So I'm glad I was just randomly looking at the LP forum and found this. I was so sad when the last Phoenix Wright LP ended right at this case because this was my favorite part of the first game and I only ever finished the first game. (started 2 but wasn't too interested) I love melodrama and this case is dripping with it. Melodrama has a bad rep with people but it can be done well. Many/most operas are melodrama, after all.

I loved Von Karma as a villain and we're only getting started with his dickery.

There's also a really good track I think you only hear in this case and I am not sure if we've heard it yet. I';ll keep an eye and ear out for it in future updates. This game has great music in addition to great writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As I already beat the game I can't really speculate on what's to come.

However, I just want to say one thing. Our two main opponents this game have been Miles and Manfred. Von Karma is smugness personified and also a real jerk to boot, something I don't think Edgeworth ever quite dipped into so fully.

However, Von Karma's finger wag never ticked me off like Edgeworth's own trademark mocking gesture. (I have a ton of saved gifs from the first time this thread was done and I always held onto this one in particular)

I dunno if it's the little mocking extension of his arms as if to say "what? That the best you can do?" or the condescending shake of the head that expresses his supreme disappointment and contempt, but when I first played this game, I wanted to punch him so hard.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I love all the music in this game but this track always sticks out to me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mors Rattus posted:

: Bah! This is not tangible proof! I set my ATM card's number to "0001" because I'm number one!

Von Karma will pretty much always be the Best Character in this series to me.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kurui Reiten posted:

Edgeworth's problem isn't that he believes everyone's guilty, it's that he believes everyone he prosecutes MUST be guilty, despite any evidence to the contrary. He's been fighting not for justice, but for verdicts. Now he's on the receiving end.

Edgeworth is, at heart, a good person. I remember distinctly when I played this game, once it becomes transparently clear that the one lady was guilty in the last case, he actually joins Phoenix in trying to prove her guilt, even though she was his client.

He does actually care about justice but Sith Lord Von Karma took him to the Dark Side.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is slander Wright and I will not stand for it. You can't just go around accusing powerful and respected men of murder.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So now I can talk more freely.

First off, I think it's important to point out that Von Karma did not hunt down Gregory Edgeworth with the intent to murder him. Von Karma comes off like an evil SOB and maybe he is but in this instance, can he be absolutely faulted? He was shot. He was obviously deleriouswith pain and anger and confusion. He did not have some methodical revenge plan.

And that's where Miles comes into this. I think the Manfred/Miles relationship is one of the most intriguing in the series. I don't believe Von Karma intended to do this to Edgeworth all along. I think it was Miles' losing those two cases that made Von Karma turn on him. If he had remained "perfect" I think he would have let everything remain as it was.

For those not in the know, Edgeworth has his own spinoff games. In the first one, you see more of his relationship with Manfred and I just can't honestly believe Von Karma was grooming him all these years just so he could take this fall. The man is evil but he was like a second father to Miles and seemed to take genuine pride in forging his "son" into a topnotch prosecutor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Well, it was still a methodical revenge plan in that case, just one made over the course of half a year instead of one made over a decade and a half.

Also, I'd suspect it was a sense of guilt that even made him try to raise Edgeworth in the first place, as opposed to a weird sense of "ha ha, murdered you and stole your kid, I win after all". He's petty and psychotic, sure, but considering he left Yanni Yogi alone for fifteen years, probably not that petty and psychotic. The whole end of the case does seem a bit like a rush job after everything's said and done. He wouldn't have left the DL-6 incident evidence around for some bumbling defense attorney to find, and certainly wouldn't have dropped a crucial part of it, if he ever suspected it would be a threat to him.

This is very interesting! I tend to give Von Karma a bit more humanity than some others do but even I never thought he took Miles in out of guilt. It does make sense, though.

Manfred Von Karma is still one of my favorite characters in the whole series.

• Locked thread