Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I love about these games is the wide variety of villains. In this first game alone we have accidental murder due to the culprit blackmailing the victim and having to defend herself from him, a burglar who panicked and wasn't thinking when he beaned the apartment lady over the head, and an absolute Bastard in Redd White. I like the Professor Layton games for much the same reason, the first two games has villain after largely money/revenge, which is reasonable and the the third game (Unwound Future) the villain is just an immense sociopath who wants to wreak havoc because he can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

von Karma planned for literally everything.

I'm pretty sure that the villain of that game is the person who gets off Scott-free after ruining the lives of two indignant people.

Are we both talking about Future Luke? or are you accusing the lead scientist on the time travel project of being the true villain?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing I love about these games is that despite the levels of crazy that most of the characters exhibit they have moments of genuineness that makes them work. Characters that start incompetent and annoying get context that elevates them. I think of it tonally like Shakepeare as performed by a circus - how they say things is beyond ridiculous but what they say has meaning behind it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah, this. They do acknowledge them sometimes though. In a couple of the games there's a few lines about how somebody is offscreen somewhere heading up the prosecution against the criminals you uncover during your defense trials.

It doesn't even matter whether the ballistic markers are still there or not. All that matters is that Von Karma thinks they are, and just confessed in court. Even if they aren't there he'd have a heck of a time explaining why there's a bullet in his shoulder at all. It doesn't sound like he has a backup explanation for it.

"I SHOT MYSELF IN THE SHOULDER! I was putting a case together to prosecute someone, and fabricated evidence to make it look like he murdered me!"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One thing that this series is good at is introducing a character who seems like they'll be somewhat annoying or stressful to deal with, then giving them just the right push to make their overall character work as more than what they were introduced as. We already have a taste of that with Lotta Hart, she's abrasive, but she recognises when her jobs are leading her down a dead end and finds a new angle instead. It helps that her photo's are competently taken enough to work as viable evidence in many trials as well.

Similarly with Gumshoe, he exists initially to be a foil, to get in the way because of the distrust the legal system has with Attorneys, but when you've proven to him that your on a side he can respect by defending Edgeworth when there is no reason as far as anyone can see to defend him as he rightly has a reputation as a right bastard, proving your impartiality, he gets in your corner. He may be kind of an idiot, but he's our idiot now and in any anime there is nothing more powerful than a Pet Idiot. Even so though in case 4 we see his true nature - devotion to the truth, and loyalty to those he considers to be his friends, initially just Miles but by Trial 4's conclusion he now counts Nick and Maya in as friends as well, hence his excitement to show of his ridiculous pet project to them as Miles likely doesn't give a poo poo. In letting Nick into the evidence room we even see the beginning of a little rebellious streak in his pursuit of justice for Edgeworth.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like Phoenix's showmanship. "Ladies and Gentleman, if you are going to commit murder you do NOT forget the murder weapon!"

I also like that Phoenix never calls Edgeworth out of his faulty logic - If actions spoke for themselves he would have been executed a few months later for two counts of murder he didn't commit. Don't bite the hand that'll save your sorry rear end Edgey! Actions not speaking for themselves is exactly why these debates happen in the first place because if you aren't going to interpret the actions, then what is even the point of a Prosecutor at that point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like Meekin's Sling. He's just handcuffed his hurt hand to his collar :3:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I like the animation of the sprite where he says the "50 dollars" liine - he isn't just being sheepish, he's playing with his little forehead spike, twiddling it around his finger :3:.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I liken Edgeworth form this point on to be like Lena Luthor from the Supergirl TV show - shady as hell, but on the side of good. Edgeworth is still a Von Karma at heart, but he uses controlling the courtroom to Phoenix's benefit because now he just wants to know the truth. Lena Luthor has the behavioural Luthor Shadiness, but she uses it so save the day, and considers Supergirl and Kara to be her only real friends. My favourite Luthor Moments were when she threw the party to attract the criminals who were robbing high profile targets with alien weaponry, only to immediately dive under the table to build and detonate an EMP. She needed a little last minute tech help, but good plan. Also the midseason finale where she convinced her mother that she was evil after all, gave her the last chemical needed for her supervirus bomb, only for it to turn out that the chemical had actually made the virus inert, and on top of that, she had called the police on the way out to the site so her mother was now surrounded. Lena's the best :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Honestly, just once in a blackmail story I'd like one of the people being blackmailed to have the balls to figure out what the blackmailer has on everyone else, then immediately out all of their secrets right then and there and just go "OK, can we proceed with collectively kicking this assholes' butt now? We can deal with the fallout later." Kind of like what Marco did to himself in Star Vs with the weird secret telling wart. Unrealistic I know, but drat if it wouldn't be satisfying. If you throw everyone under the bus it's axles will eventually jam after all :v:

Although I loved the twist the fan-musical put on the Redd White case where it connected the Chief Prosecutor being in Redd's pocket with Lana's coverup.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 8, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm kinda hoping that the final trial in the series will be a mass collaborative effort between all the MCs/Prosecutors. That would be satisfying having all the MCs with all their gimmicks dogpiling on every incompetent witness all at once and overwhelming the villain on their search for the truth. Defense and Prosecutor, Living and Dead all working together and being badasses.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

By the way for anyone interested: Turnbout Musical is complete. Covers up until the Von Karma case I believe, so the LP is beyond the spoiler zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyfm6p0L8b8

Oh my god they've worked in screwing up tutorial answers: "My client, Mia Fay... I mean Larry Butz..."

Something interesting to see in the series could be if Maya ever had to channel someone from an old case due to having info on events a long time ago, only for them to immediately demand Edgeworth be removed from the room because of his behaviour as the Demon Prosecutor getting the wrong person executed on obviously forged evidence and letting his murderer go free as a consequence.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Mar 18, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Exchanges basically end up being like (fictional example):

Judge: So, your saying the badger was on the scene of the crime, and that the bitemarks came from him checking if the bailiff was actually dead?

Nick: Yup.

Judge: Send out an indictment for the badger. Mr Wright will possibly want to cross examine him...

Prosecutor Du Jour: WHAT? You cannot be serious!

Judge: He got workable testimony from a Parrot once, I stopped caring about precedent a long time ago.

Edgeworth (from the gallery): DUDE, PDJ! YOUR CASE IS OFFICIALLY hosed! Now you'll see how I felt, or maybe you should do what I did, pull your head out of your rear end and DO YOUR JOB PROPERLY!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

In Mors defense on that one - they couldn't see the typo - the power was out :D

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Everyone knows Phoenix is using saves though, there are constant comments that he bluffs his way through every trial.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Edited out because may be too 'coy'

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

And if you're discussing the musical when saying the Stage Play, it's like 6 hours long when case 3 is included.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 9, 2017

• Locked thread