Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

WFGuy posted:

...Although, even as I type that, I'm pretty sure that in a lot of places there would be no problem with the prosecutor doing that, just as long as it's not the defence. Now I'm bummed out.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the intended feeling the writers meant to convey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: I'm sure one of them heard the clock tell the tiem when the incident occurred!

Found a typo in the third update.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No problem.

Mors Rattus posted:

: [i](Great. Just great.)

Here's one more from the first update of Case 2.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Since I'm on a computer now, I'll do the last two at once.

Mors Rattus posted:

: A s-spirit medium!? (I'm oretty sure that qualifies as strange.)

Typo here and another in the quote (assocThiated).

There's also a loose letter s at the end of the update.

This was the only typo here, aside from you putting "drog" instead of frog in the quote.

And that's all. Looking forward to the next update. :)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Edgeworth is here. :smug: levels are rising rapidly.

He's also a lot more cutthroat than Payne was, so I can see why they didn't want this to be the tutorial case.

Mors Rattus posted:

: ("When my sister couldn't find any contradictions in a witness's testimony she would bluff it and press the witness on every detail! The witness always slips up and says something wrong... It worked lots of times!" Heh... I should have expected Maya would know some of her sister's tricks! Alright. Let's give this a try!)[/i]

Loose tag here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Much like Phoenix has those exclamation points that get removed when he makes dumb remarks, Gumshoe has a similar meter for his salary.

And unfortunately for him, witness testimony requires him to speak.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

No personal attacks against the prosecution. But the prosecution is perfectly able to make personal attacks against the defense attorney and the victim of the case.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I always found it interesting that April May and Frank Sahwit have the same "Aaahhh, they should die for their crime :supaburn:" reaction.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Omobono posted:

And "please demonstrate that the evidence wasn't tampered with while in police custody" is still a bit too much on the nose.

I think in this case it's more along the lines of "The killer could have tampered with the clock after the murder" or something. Though, that would raise the question of why the clockwork wasn't found on Maya or at the scene of the crime.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Edgeworth gets a lot of great lines, and we've only begun to scratch the surface. :allears:

Mors Rattus posted:

: This is outrageous! Does the defense truly claim that hte witness was tapping her phone?
: Absolutely!
: Even if that was the case, (which it's not) you still have to prove one thing! Did the victim ever say that the weapon was a lcock on the phone?

Few typos here.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kopijeger posted:

I find it interesting that you are seemingly unable to bring up such questions as "Why would the defendant attack her own sister?", "How could she reach the victim's head when she is shorter than the victim?", "Why did she hang around after the deed was done instead of getting away?".

And that would be where Edgeworth would object and bullshit some semi-plausible hypothetical explanation that the Judge would basically handwave as making sense.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Polaron posted:

I mean, we have already seen absolute proof of the prosecution coaching a witness with the Bellhop, which is something I really wish we could call him out on.

"Your Honor, the presence of Miss May's consort had no bearing on this case! As such, I had him omit the information from his testimony."

"Hmm, I see."

And that's basically all that would happen. :v:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Glazius posted:

So... Edgeworth knows his own case is full of poo poo and is hoping not to get called on it? Or is he only doing as much prep as Phoenix?

Basically, whereas Phoenix comes up with arguments on the fly and has to contend with people poking the holes that arise in them, Edgeworth has time to ponder over his case ahead of time and attempt to cover those holes up. Notice that he didn't even want to allow the bellboy onto the stand at first.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if that was meant to be a direct reference to that movie.

Mors Rattus posted:

: I object! That was... objectionable!
: ... Objection overruled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx32b5igLwA

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, Lady Killer isn't an incorrect way of describing Redd White, Mr. Bellboy. :v:

I do like the branching scenes with April May, though. Her mentioning being afraid is probably the closest she comes to dropping her silly persona.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I like Redd White's English name more than the Japanese one, honestly.

That being said, his word-usage is very confusizzling.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

I hope when the anime gets to this point they have Phoenix guess Grossberg and White are lovers. Who doesn't pick that option? :allears:

Unfortunately, Grossberg was forthcoming about the information instead of Phoenix needing to dig.

But, on the other hand, we did get Redd White at his finest. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GQ0cKufTDU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, I forgot how magical Redd White on the stand was. Though, they don't actually have any evidence implicating Phoenix of the crime, in hindsight.

Did you mean to put "te ti" at the end of your update?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The amazing thing here is that Redd White takes the stand and, despite all his power, immediately implicates himself, accidentally gives a slip of the tongue that lets everyone know he was the killer, and comes close to breaking down less than a few minutes into the trial.

Mors Rattus posted:

: Oh... oh right. Thank you, Miles.

I also believe this is one of the rare times that someone refers to Edgeworth by his first name.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like Edgeworth (and the legal system as a whole) operate under the assumption that you wouldn't be accused of you weren't doing something suspicious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You don't want to know what they do to litterbugs in Japanifornia.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Now that you mention it, I can't recall a single instance of Phoenix ever calling a witness.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Edgeworth just doesn't let up in this case. Shame that it's not Phoenix that beats him, but Mia.

Maya just takes on Mia's body type. She doesn't have her sister's beauty mark either, I believe.

Also, Maya probably needs to let her clothing out a little to accommodate her older sister.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And here it is. The best (non-Cornered) song in the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: Aren't you that murderer from the other day!

I know this is being played as a joke, but how many people in Japanifornia get accused of murder and have to deal with people saying stuff like this to them all the time?

Maybe that's why Phoenix can't get any work at the moment? :ohdear:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

To chime in on this, Edgeworth's life basically goes downhill from when Mia beat him in the last case.

Made a small correction.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: They're kids. Children. Whippersnappers.

I don't know why, but this line always tickles me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sal Monella. He... exists.

The less said about that, the better.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: How dare you utter thatn ame, evildoer!

Typo here.

But you know, I think this is probably the best Case 3 in the series. Sal Monella aside, all of the characters are pretty neat. It's a shame Penny is just kind of there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Exercu posted:

It's kind of middle of the packish though.

3-3, 5-3, AAI2-3 are all better imo.

Oh, right, how'd I forget AAI2-3?

For me, 3-3 was good, but it just kinda felt there. 5-3 was meh.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Poor Penny. During development, her name was an afterthought and it was considered impressive for you to remember it.

They should've named her Nicole N. Dimed.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

A good exchange.

Case 3 of this game has a lot of great moments.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I love how Edgeworth is immediately done with every witness in this case as soon as they open their mouth.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Perjury is basically expected in AA-land.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: Of course, Jack Hammer died. But the Steel Samurai feel too!

Small typo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think someone in the last thread pointed out that the theme of this case is how a fan reacts to their idol. Someone better suited to write up an analysis could probably handle all the fine details, but you have things like Maya's initial reaction to Powers, Cody testifying and being unable to cope with the Steel Samurai losing, Oldbag's devotion to Hammer until she finds out what he did, etc.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The best part of Vasquez's goons is that they're literally part of the scenery. Given that they have no lines, I'm inclined to believe that she just put up a movie studio prop while Phoenix and Maya weren't looking and tried to threaten them with it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: And when exactly was that?
: I've forgotten.
: ...
: Maybe you could try remembering?
: No.

Have I mentioned that I love this case? :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

We have hit peak Edgeworth this update. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

: Ms. Vasquez! You did it!
: ... That wasn't a question.
: Um, did you do it?
: No.

Vasquez is also fantastic.

Mors Rattus posted:

: Don't "?" me! Don't you have anyhting to say!?

Typo here.

• Locked thread