Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Haifisch posted:

It's still a name reference, but I guess a police pomeranian would have looked too silly. (Or so adorable that it'd distract from the case)

Maybe, but the police dog is a Shibu Inu because that's silly to begin with, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I kind of like this scene. It's Grossberg's one chance to be legitimately helpful in this game.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Leif. posted:

How does the old man remember he used to be a chemical engineer....

It's a lie he came up with on the spur of the moment. He may or may not actually have burned off his fingerprints.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

I was going to make a joke about bringing in a metal detector, but then I remembered Gumshoe actually has one.

...No, I'm pretty sure Gumshoe does not have a metal detector.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

We found Gourdy with it.

My point exactly. While we were doing that, Gumshoe was called away to deal with something. I don't think we've seen him since.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Something to keep in mind. As Chief Prosecutor, Lana is responsible (at least in part) for assigning prosecutors to cases. And now I'm imagining her siccing von Karma on Redd White to make drat sure he loses his hold on the justice system.

All the other vectors of corruption don't need the competition, after all.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Since trials don't last longer than three days anyway, someone decided that sparing a day for someone who pled guilty was worth it now. For one thing, it makes sure that all the details about how the crime worked are on record.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The double murder was a neat twist the first time I played through the case, especially the way it was depicted in the intro.

I'd like to say more once we're shown more about it.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

So, now we hear that no body was found at the evidence room.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

And here's where the "double murder" situation really starts to go downhill.

Near as I can figure, things happened like this:
Meekins confronts a suspicious person in the evidence room and is knocked out.
He wakes up later and goes about his day, though he is inconsistant on this point.
Meekins is then assigned to deliver a report about a murder in the evidence room to Edgeworth. The report is not accepted.
Then Meekins is arrested for the murder that he was assigned to help with the investigation of.
Chief Gant interrupts the Lana Skye trial with this report and news of the arrest, then tries to blame the poor handling of the case on Edgeworth.

Laying it all out like this shows how little sense both the evidence room crime and the police response to it makes.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Remind me, was this case written before or during development of Apollo Justice? There was a line during this update that caught my attention.

Yes.
It should have been a few years before they started on Apollo Justice.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Now let's take a step back and review the following.

Meekins did not win the altercation in the evidence room.
It follows that he didn't kill anyone there, and notGoodman got away.
Therefore, no one was murdered in the evidence room, and this should have been obvious from the start.

So why the hell was everyone going on about Simultaneous murders at any point in this case?
This side track proves one thing: the police force is incompetent beyond what we had previously expected from them.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

It feels like the sole purpose of including it was to add a cool element to the preview. (And it was cool.)

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Malah posted:

Error or context that I've missed?

Simple enough. The camera pans over to look at Ema's reaction as the Judge is talking. It is an odd way to depict it though.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

This was the only way to increase the stakes from the base game. The escalation has gone from:

*An incompetent burgler
*An incompetent blackmailer with the courts in his pocket
*A competent mafiosa
*The most ruthless prosecutor in the country, with a plan that spanned 15 years. (Right? It's been a while)
*The Chief of Police, with the Chief Prosecutor in his pocket, and a 7 year scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

I was under the impression that this would be a megathread :confused:

If we don't switch over to a new thread, it might never be added to the lparchives.

• Locked thread