Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I'm reading the Steam forum and people say the devs took out enemy bases. Now groups of baddies just spawn from thin air. That seems like a big step backwards for a game with a solid tactical layer but a pretty thin strategic/meta layer. Hope that's just a temporary thing while they work out a better implementation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Berious posted:

I'm reading the Steam forum and people say the devs took out enemy bases. Now groups of baddies just spawn from thin air. That seems like a big step backwards for a game with a solid tactical layer but a pretty thin strategic/meta layer. Hope that's just a temporary thing while they work out a better implementation.

This contradicts what I've experienced in the recent versions - groups of enemies still appear from camps and crypts and stuff. There might be unrelated spawns too but as far as I can tell the camps still produce enemies.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

This contradicts what I've experienced in the recent versions - groups of enemies still appear from camps and crypts and stuff. There might be unrelated spawns too but as far as I can tell the camps still produce enemies.

That's good to hear. IIRC some enemies do just spawn for the road patrol missions so posters might just have been confused by that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Can you (or are there plans to implement a way to) claim a base and use it to set yourself up as some self-style robber baron? That would be cool.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Not heard anything about that. It's all about being a mercenary band, but I hope that one day it goes full Euro Truck and you can open up your own offices and have your mercenaries do jobs without your guidance.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For reference, the general rules of thumb I'm using for soldier stats, gearing, and leveling are:

1. 60~ skill at weapons is when soldiers graduate from spears to other types of weapons. I prefer flails and axes; the former for cleaning house against lightly-armored enemies like Bandit Thugs, Dire Wolves, and Wiedergangers, the latter for anything tougher and with heavier armor. Flails are great because of their two attacks: the first ignores shield bonuses, and the second is a guaranteed headshot. However, they do have difficulty against armored enemies, which is where axes come in.

2. 60~ is also my threshold for soldier competence: a mercenary that can't achieve 60~ weapon skill by level 4 is pretty much a bust, so I replace them with fresh recruits with more potential.

3. Make your ranged dudes hybrids; have them pack a 2-range weapon (pitchforks for early-game, pikes/billhooks/longaxes for the rest of the game) and help out in the scrap if the enemy has too many shields, they can't get an angle on shots, or it's nighttime. For this reason, you definitely want Quick Hands on them (though personally Quick Hands is a must for everyone in my party).

4. For level-ups, I always pick Fatigue, Melee Skill, and either Ranged Skill or Melee Defense (for whatever role your merc is to play). HP being a buffer against injuries is neat, but fatigue is just too important to neglect since more armor = technically more health.

5. Always take Student. Remember, level-ups get your more stat points, which are arguably more important than perks at making a decent soldier.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

toasterwarrior posted:

For reference, the general rules of thumb I'm using for soldier stats, gearing, and leveling are:

1. 60~ skill at weapons is when soldiers graduate from spears to other types of weapons. I prefer flails and axes; the former for cleaning house against lightly-armored enemies like Bandit Thugs, Dire Wolves, and Wiedergangers, the latter for anything tougher and with heavier armor. Flails are great because of their two attacks: the first ignores shield bonuses, and the second is a guaranteed headshot. However, they do have difficulty against armored enemies, which is where axes come in.

2. 60~ is also my threshold for soldier competence: a mercenary that can't achieve 60~ weapon skill by level 4 is pretty much a bust, so I replace them with fresh recruits with more potential.

3. Make your ranged dudes hybrids; have them pack a 2-range weapon (pitchforks for early-game, pikes/billhooks/longaxes for the rest of the game) and help out in the scrap if the enemy has too many shields, they can't get an angle on shots, or it's nighttime. For this reason, you definitely want Quick Hands on them (though personally Quick Hands is a must for everyone in my party).

4. For level-ups, I always pick Fatigue, Melee Skill, and either Ranged Skill or Melee Defense (for whatever role your merc is to play). HP being a buffer against injuries is neat, but fatigue is just too important to neglect since more armor = technically more health.

5. Always take Student. Remember, level-ups get your more stat points, which are arguably more important than perks at making a decent soldier.

I agree with pretty much this whole post though we differ some on weapon choice and perks. I'm a big fan of cleavers, maces and hammers once you have a the skill and fatigue to support them. Really the only weapon types I avoid are spears and swords once a soldier hits 60 skill. The two handed hammer and the greatsword are fearsome when given to an appropriately tanky and skilled guy. Have to baby the 2handers a bit but it's worth it.

Perk wise, quick hands is good for ranged for the the reason you specify but also very nice on front line to swap out damaged shields mid battle or whip out a throwing axe at a nearby enemy. Gotta keep an eye on the fatigue if you're shoving shields and javelins into everybody's pockets though.

My current general perk build is student, pathfinder, then whatever fits your role. I usually end up with shield specialization and a weapon skill for linemen. I fuckin love the adrenaline skill for pikemen too. They tend to have high spare fatigue and getting them a stab in before the enemies go is pretty keen.

Skills for bowman I'm less solid on. Once you get the tier 2 ranged boost, where do you go? I often pick up the skill that makes injuries 30% more likely but idk if it works on bows.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
for bowmen basically just remember that they ARE going to turn into pikemen once the battle gets joined, and go from there.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I've had pretty good luck with continuing to fire when the lines clash. As long as the archer is standing directly behind your own men or in an elevated position a little further back its quite unlikely you'll hit your own guys.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, shooters can get some surprisingly decent angles from the rear. However, I just think that using a 2-range melee weapon is just much more reliable then, and certainly much easier on fatigue.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I'm much happier with crossbowmen than bowmen, since crossbows can be fired at point blank and the archers can switch to being one-handed swordsmen. With Nimble and the perk that gives bonuses if you don't use a shield, it's probably the best equipment for an archer in a small band.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I don't even think of them as crossbowmen, that's just what my pikemen do before the enemy close.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I just read The Black Company, and, wow, that's a drat good book. I see now where the game takes a lot of its inspiration. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes the feel of this game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I could not get into Black Company. Something about the writing style just put me off.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
They just posted a big roadmap update.

quote:

• Three different ‘Greater Evil’ end game crises for you to get involved in – a war between noble houses, a greenskin invasion and an undead invasion. Each will come with its own set of contracts, events and changes to the world.
  • An overarching goal to work towards throughout your campaign, and the ability to retire at any point to receive an illustrated ending screen telling of your accomplishments.
  • A more lively and dynamic world, with more opportunities for you to shape it, and more relation between what is going on in the world and contracts on offer.
  • A memorial wall screen where your fallen Battle Brothers are listed with their deeds.
  • An overhaul of the mood and desertion mechanics on the worldmap.
  • An overhaul of the undead faction with new visuals and lore, unique lootable weapons and armor, and the introduction of new enemy types with their own fighting style.
  • An overhaul of ghouls as independent beasts that are more interesting and challenging to fight.
  • More contracts and events to change things up.
  • Various improvements to usability in both combat and on the worldmap.
  • Steam achievements.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/365360/announcements/detail/892100538373352943

The endgame and dynamic world stuff sounds amazing. Once they add that the game will be a nice complete package.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Also the game has a 20% off sale this weekend. Strongly thinking about pouncing on it so I can try out some of these improvements. I only played the original demo.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Lotish posted:

Also the game has a 20% off sale this weekend. Strongly thinking about pouncing on it so I can try out some of these improvements. I only played the original demo.

I may be biased, but its a fantastic game that iw worth 100% of its price in its current state.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Lotish posted:

Do it. Every addition and change they've done since the demo has been for the better.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I bought this like 3 weeks ago and have barely touched it. I got distracted by Rule the Waves and Rimworld.

I should really give this a go.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

dylguy90 posted:

I just read The Black Company, and, wow, that's a drat good book. I see now where the game takes a lot of its inspiration. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes the feel of this game.

I literally just finished the series, and for sequence of books that stretches from 1984-2000 it is abslutely insane how genre bending and amazing the whole drat thing is. If you haven't, read them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Is there a particular book in that series that you'd recommend to start, because I picked up the first and didn't care for it. I had a similar problem with the early Discworld books--the first weren't exactly what I consider great so I ended up passing on what my family and friends insist are great stories. I went back to some of those that Pratchett wrote much later and found they weren't wrong, so I'm wondering if I'd appreciate a latter book in the Black Company series.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The beginning section of the first book (while they're in Beryl?) drags a bit. After that it picks up quite fast and a lot of the knowledge gaps get filled in. If you didn't make it past the first fifty or so pages, I'd say just give it another try honestly. If you made it through the whole book then it might not be your cup of tea.

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 24, 2016

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
The Black Company audiobooks have really good narration too which really adds to an already fun story.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh god yeah I did the audiobook it was fantastic, especially Soul-catcher

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
Guys, this game has its hooks in me. I have been having some troubles with getting enough sleep.

But stopgap you argue that is your poor willpower. I would answer that Battle Brothers is the problem not me.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So does anyone have any advice on fighting orcs?*

*Besides "Don't."

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

I mean, that's some pretty good advice. I wouldn't disregard it so quickly.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
If you must fight them then there are a few things to bear in mind. Orc young are very vulnerable to archers but orc warriors are absolutely not - the minor chip damage on warriors isn't at all worth it. Skills like shatter armour which you get with hammers may be worthwhile, and you should consider split shield to remove their shields too, but even with bonus skills it takes several hits to smash their shields. The warriors love bashing you out of the way with their shields and I think they're immune to being pushed around themselves (also immune to stuns and I think poison-resistant). So don't count on your back line of archers being safe or even particularly useful - I usually roll with three archers but downsize to just 1 for orc fights.

You're going to suffer, basically, no matter how you fight them.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Orcs are scary but they're predictable. I'd fight them over goblins any day. You do need big-damage weapons against them, but don't scrap the spears. Spearwall can be helpful for filtering in one or two orcs at a time for your pikemen to focus down, since orcs tend to be fairly easy to hit even with shields. Though speaking of shields, flails are especially useful against orcs because their helmets tend not to be as common or as sturdy as their body armor, so being able to focus on their noggins with Lash can help a lot, and orcs themselves are so big and scary that you don't want to waste any real time destroying their shields anyway if you can avoid it.

Another big reason why you want your archer line to have polearms in their pockets; when orcs close, you want the huge damage from pikes and billhooks to carve them up.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So what kind of melee weapon do you guys prefer to put on your archers, pikes/billhooks or longaxes?

Personally I like longaxes the most but that's because i'm pretty bad at using the abilities of the other two well.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Koorisch posted:

So what kind of melee weapon do you guys prefer to put on your archers, pikes/billhooks or longaxes?

Personally I like longaxes the most but that's because i'm pretty bad at using the abilities of the other two well.

I go with whatever is available, leaning towards longaxes as the game goes on and I can get them. Although I do have a special rare billhook which does an obscene amount of damage so I've got that on one.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

I go with whatever is available, leaning towards longaxes as the game goes on and I can get them. Although I do have a special rare billhook which does an obscene amount of damage so I've got that on one.

I remember when I found my first rare weapon, a Greatsword with 105-130 damage, so many heads were lopped off that day! :allears:

Koorisch fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 25, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Koorisch posted:

I remember when I found my first rare weapon, a Greatsword with 105-130 damage, so many heads were lopped off that day! :allears:

Snicker-Snack.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah I'll prefer longaxes if I can get my mitts on them, but they can be difficult to find. Not a lot of human enemies use them, and not a lot of weaponsmiths carry them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Longaxes are gold in early-midgame, but I transitioned to billhooks once my shieldwall were ready to use axes. Billhooks do much more armor-piercing damage, IIRC.

Really though, the smart thing is to keep a well-stocked armory and equip for the enemy you're facing. You have a massive inventory, use it! For example, flails at the front and longaxes at the rear for Bandit Thugs, then mix in axes for the front and billhooks for the rear when Bandit Raiders appear.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 25, 2016

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Is it a feasible plan to have my shieldwall all packing javelins/throwing axes and hanging back to open with those, or is it not worth the fatigue/AP/Perks? Or would that be more effective just on skirmishers hanging out on the flanks ready to dart behind to plug the enemy backline/flank? For that matter, has anyone had much success with skirmishers?

Beyond that, I am loving this game. Even if I am dreading going back into a fight against bandit raiders who outnumber me. Praying I can make them flee and find some easy contracts to lick my wounds and restock with.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Throwing weapons plus shields and (one hander of choice) on five to six / bows and pikes on three to four / crossbows, shields and spears for up two trainees / and the remaining zero to two with two-handers. Do nothing, or take a step back on the first turn, then shoot anything that appears with a barrage of arrows & axes, bolts & bolas, javelins & more javelins. Then switch the shieldwall over to melee mode at the end of your turn. The enemy wouldn't get an attack on the first turn, and only a partial action on the second, as there'd still be distance to your lines?

Yes, this is how you do it. You bait the enemy into engaging on your terms and tiring themselves out wherever possible. Every throw can be a lucky one that decapitates an enemy leader. Of course, that goes both ways.

That mix of gear used to really work well once you had 3-4 levels and the right perks, but the new perk system & reworked perks nerfed it a bit and pushed it back in terms of when you can afford to actually pull it off reliably. Too many fatigue costs are too high to carry around much spare stuff, and the critical injury system is horrifically good at causing attrition before you can get to a decent level and get either the stats or fatigue reducing perks that make it work really well. It's still very much something you should aspire to, but really focus on getting everyone their role-minimum equipment and good armour before handing out throwing weapons or pocket greataxes.

'Skirmishing' isn't really a role you can afford to have with just a dozen people per fight, especially when usually outnumbered. Throwing weapons as a primary armament are too limited in scope to last most battles, going shieldless is dumb without really good armour/perks, and light equipment gives you stamina not speed (which is less useful when enemies are just as fast/faster). You're also faced with combat situations that don't favour the traditional role of skirmishers (i.e. you actually have to fight) and don't (usually) face equipment shortages which would have traditionally mandated a skirmishing role.

Arguably, your archers are your 'skirmishers'. They're the first to attack in a battle, and once the shieldwall is engaged they wrap around or poke from behind. Flanking and lapping are good, just don't expect to be able to devote people to it as a sole skill, especially once you start getting real work.

(Be wary of orcs if you rely on shieldwalls. The bigger orcs have a leap attack than can knock several adjacent people about, completely wrecking your wall, on top of being good at killing in general.)
(other enemies have their own gimmicks, but so long as you've got troops with stamina and keep an eye on what you're doing, you'll be alright)

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I use throwing weapons if I happen to find a guy who starts with ~50 points in both melee and ranged skill and already have enough archer-pikemen, but it's not something I specifically aim for. Currently I have a guy who has a rare bundle of javelins that I found, plus a two-handed hammer. With the throwing mastery perk they do inflict pretty huge damage, but mostly I just use them because I find them amusing rather than any actual tactical considerations.

Oh and on the topic of orcs:

:gonk:

:black101:

Miraculously I got through that with only one casualty, and that wasn't even the surrounded and battered crossbowman at the top.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
man the smaller quantity of new battle bro flags is making it kinda hard to come up with sweet company names that match the image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

They're so much prettier though. It's a tough tradeoff to make.

• Locked thread