Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What are some hardware sites similar to Anandtech? A lot of tech sites have pretty meh articles at best, or numbered lists at worst. I appreciate AT's :spergin: massive writeups on things.

(I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in IYG. I like reading up on both gadgets and hardware, but I figure AT's format would hypothetically cater to SHSC more.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Anandtech really was in a class all their own prior to Anand's departure and the Purch acquisition. Here's some other sites I like:

Tech Report is really good

JonnyGuru.com has excellent power supply teardown reviews

Silent PC Review does good articles on low-noise computing

Xbit Labs went bankrupt in November 2014, but if you need anything historical it's great, especially for comparative heatsink and fan testing (they don't change that often)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is Tom's any good these days? I was under the impression they had gone to poo poo for some reason.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Tom's was offensively, unethically bad. Then they got bought by Purch, now they are merely not good.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there a website to read that focuses more on new CPU/GPU developments but more on a scientific computing perspective? Instead of talking about how the new Titan 69 SSJ xTreme has this many more shaders to render a more realistic dick talk more about how said shaders can compute more realistic dick mechanics or something.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
I'd also recommend:

http://www.servethehome.com/ does a lot of reviews for server equipment (and some networking gear) with a focus primarily on home use and labs.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ reviews for consumer-grade networking gear. They sometimes dabble in the higher-end stuff.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Alereon posted:

Silent PC Review does good articles on low-noise computing

Rukus posted:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/ reviews for consumer-grade networking gear. They sometimes dabble in the higher-end stuff.

These are really cool! I totally wouldn't have found them on my own.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Take care with SmallNetBuilder though, there testing methodology is frequently really bad and broken.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I was a member of https://www.techpowerup.com/ for years. they do good work but the forums are a hellhole

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
https://www.thessdreview.com is neat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Ugh the owner is SUCH a creep.

Rukus posted:

I'd also recommend:

http://www.servethehome.com/ does a lot of reviews for server equipment (and some networking gear) with a focus primarily on home use and labs.

I like smallnetbuilder a lot, but I don't find them very useful for the router reviews; they're very set in their ways in terms of opinions about router hardware, and refuse to retest equipment after software updates change performance - which means you can't really trust their charts. The forums can be decent about bringing those issues up, though.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
thessdreview was pretty awful for a long time, I haven't visited it lately but I heard he started farming out reviews. I met the owner once at a CanadaComputers store, he was just standing around handing out cards and trying to get people to go to his website. He didn't seem to know what the gently caress he was talking about either, I asked him a few questions on controllers that he should've at least been able to parse and he looked at me blankly. Got a very sales man BSer type vibe from him. Anyways there are better sites, a few mentioned in this thread.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a website to read that focuses more on new CPU/GPU developments but more on a scientific computing perspective? Instead of talking about how the new Titan 69 SSJ xTreme has this many more shaders to render a more realistic dick talk more about how said shaders can compute more realistic dick mechanics or something.

You've probably seen them already but Nvidia's white papers they release with new architectures are really good.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Gunslinger posted:

thessdreview was pretty awful for a long time, I haven't visited it lately but I heard he started farming out reviews. I met the owner once at a CanadaComputers store, he was just standing around handing out cards and trying to get people to go to his website. He didn't seem to know what the gently caress he was talking about either, I asked him a few questions on controllers that he should've at least been able to parse and he looked at me blankly. Got a very sales man BSer type vibe from him. Anyways there are better sites, a few mentioned in this thread.

Yeah, I used to be a writer for one of those newfangled internet companies, and we used him as a freelancer I think? Maybe he was just a big person in the forums, I don't remember. Either way, he would contact manufacturers and say he was doing reviews and ask for review samples. He's just gross.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Wait trying to finagle free poo poo makes you gross now? I thought we were talking some Dr. Thomas Pabst poo poo (there were some allegations from way back in the day before Tom's Hardware was sold, including him hitting on an underaged writer for the site at an in-person meet-and-greet.)

Alereon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Alereon posted:

Wait trying to finagle free poo poo makes you gross now? I thought we were talking some Dr. Thomas Pabst poo poo (there were some allegations from way back in the day before Tom's Hardware was sold, including him hitting on an underaged writer for the site at an in-person meet-and-greet.)

Finagling free poo poo makes you gross when you're lying about who you are and it reflected poorly on us, absolutely.

But yeah, I mostly meant gross in relation to how he acts at poo poo like CES with women.

• Locked thread