Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
so what are games you liked enough to replay, be it new game + or games that, despite really really loving them, you never felt like playing again? i expect most to say dark souls, maybe some rpgs or character action games that revolve around grading systems, but id also like to hear what poo poo you love so much you cant help but replay through every couple years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I love JRPGS and will almost always replay them. The only one that has lost its luster has been Mario RPG. It wasn't as good as I remembered last time I played it

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Dark souls obviously, DXHR I played to like NG+++++++ after they added it. I loved MGS5 and I played it to death but I will probably never play it again

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have a save file for Jade Cocoon in which I have completed the main game, and unlocked the infinite dungeon plus mode. I keep meaning to get back to it, as I spent quit a few hours grinding it up. None the less, It makes me feel good knowing that my memory card is holding it safe for me.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i beat Paper Mario: TTYD when i was 8 or so and beat it again a year ago in a 14 hour marathon. it's just as amazing as i remembered it being and wouldn't mind playing through it right now. same goes for Luigi's Mansion.

on the flip side, Borderlands 2 was a game i immersed myself in and beat in the span of one week and then never felt the urge to play again, at least not without friends. might be because the early game was boring and slow, or i might have just burned myself out so badly. it's a shame because i really loved it when i went through it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i played thru bayonetta 1 like 3 times but i havne't pure platted hard yet oops. and shmups are fun 2 replay becasue they take 20 minnutes to beat

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

I forgot parasite eve. I love that game

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

chrono trigger had the best ng+ crap in a jrpg becasue the whole game took 20 hours or less 2 beat on a noraml playthru and then u could blast thru a bunch of endings after that

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

a game that surprised me with its replay value was Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse. i hate the show and can tell the game is meant to pander to the fans, but i'll be damned if running-and-gunning down disabled people/Adam West soldiers/the Amish/drunk frat boys as a talking dog with a shotgun isn't fun as hell. it's also pretty fluid, nice to look at, and did have a few memorable lines that made me laugh inwardly.

now that i'm talking about it, i feel the urge to replay it. funny how that works.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

symbolic posted:

a game that surprised me with its replay value was Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse. i hate the show and can tell the game is meant to pander to the fans, but i'll be damned if running-and-gunning down disabled people/Adam West soldiers/the Amish/drunk frat boys as a talking dog with a shotgun isn't fun as hell. it's also pretty fluid, nice to look at, and did have a few memorable lines that made me laugh inwardly.

now that i'm talking about it, i feel the urge to replay it. funny how that works.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

who is this man

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

symbolic posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i like RE4's "take revenge on this hard game" approach to NG+

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

symbolic posted:

AVGN: rear end Reel (Seasons 1-7)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I remember Tales of Symphonia having a rad NG+ system. You earned a bonus currency in the game meant to be spent on passive skills gems (but you didn't really need to because you got more than enough during the game). Once you restarted a Clear file however, you could use that currency to buy modifiers (good or bad) for the next playthrough or pay to bring stuff over. One of the NG+ perks was also a super-cheap one that made you earn way more of these bonus points, so NG+n you could buy all sorts of wacky poo poo.

Semi-related, but if you have designed a game with a focus on exploration, but lock the player into a certain area at the end of the game and don't let them run around with their maxxed-out character, you are going to be the first against the wall when I'm God-Emperor of the world. Kind of random but Star Fox Adventures will always stand out in my mind as the example of this.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Also this.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

chrono trigger had the best ng+ crap in a jrpg becasue the whole game took 20 hours or less 2 beat on a noraml playthru and then u could blast thru a bunch of endings after that

chrono cross might be 1 of the 3 rpgs ive ever finished, and if ct did the same thing as cc then its a really really cool incentive to at least go through the game once.

from what i recall in cross, they gave you a bracelet that let you control the game speed, for fast forwarding through long treks and slow down to more easily dodge enemies. They also let you keep all your party members and levels, and left the final boss portal open from the start of ng+. You can choose to battle him at different points of the plot for different endings.

Bobnumerotres posted:

but re4 isn't hard? O.o

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I love JRPGS and will almost always replay them. The only one that has lost its luster has been Mario RPG. It wasn't as good as I remembered last time I played it

ill make a concerned effort to try finishing an rpg but they usually seem too much time investment for me to replay, even if complex combat systems seem ripe for trying different approaches. i liked chrono cross' multiple endings thing because each step of the replay promised a new ending, and it means you only need to replay it once to see all 8 or 10 endings.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It would probably be easier to make a list of games I haven't replayed, but for me the number one replay game is Super Metroid. I always replay it at least once a year and sometimes even more than that.

I don't really like NG+ in games unless they make it significantly harder. Just blasting through a game without challenge isn't fun to me.

Co-op arcade games like Metal Slug X are also really fun to replay with different people. Me and my friends are still trying to get a co-op 1cc run of MSX down.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArfJason posted:

but re4 isn't hard? O.o

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

The only game I completed a NG+ run on was Okami, to pick up the missing stray beads, which turned out to be way harder than I expected.

Putting on the stray bead necklace is actually pretty cool since it disables the HUD.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

ArfJason posted:

ill make a concerned effort to try finishing an rpg but they usually seem too much time investment for me to replay, even if complex combat systems seem ripe for trying different approaches. i liked chrono cross' multiple endings thing because each step of the replay promised a new ending, and it means you only need to replay it once to see all 8 or 10 endings.

yeah, i don't have time to replay them anymore but i still want to try a SMT4 neutral run before Fin@L comes out, if ever, in NA

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]

ArfJason posted:

was there anyway to figure out on your own how to beat lavos and get the proper ending without looking on the internet.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Captain gently caress Face posted:

was there anyway to figure out on your own how to beat lavos and get the proper ending without looking on the internet.

first time through i looked in the internet, but after i did the replay, i noticed the color pattern in the dragon sanctuary, theres a spot in the floor that flashes them in the right order. Also the order you fight the elemental dragons is the pattern. When I saw them I was like, ok that's cool but it'd be impossible to make the connection just by casually playing through.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

yeah, i don't have time to replay them anymore but i still want to try a SMT4 neutral run before Fin@L comes out, if ever, in NA

Yeah, time is definitely a factor, but I think the format does not really appeal to me on replays, like chrono cross gave me the compromise of the Fast Forward button, and the ability to get a new ending every hour or so. The idea of just plodding through filler areas with filler fights on familiar territories slowly going from a to b doesnt sound too much fun. Even something like lisa or undertale, which are like 5 hours and condensed, i can't imagine doing the grind for the extra content unless its in years from now. The more likely answer is that all content should be meaningful on all replays, and that's more the developer's fault than the genre's.
I guess i need something more kinetic, like mgr. The big takeaway is that if we like a game a lot we will replay regardless, no formulas or gay pondering...

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
One game I had a complete blast replaying was Driver San Francisco. New game + lets you keep the opened city and all the mini challenges and dares. Story progression missions are still locked, and i think upgrades are too, but I had so much fun the first time I played it again like 3 more times, even starting a fresh new game to do the dares again, which is dumb you can't reset on a regular new game+.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

the zelda games hold up well, especialy with the 3ds remakes of the n64 games. i dont really enjoy replaying through games otherwise. used to do it a lot when i was younger. would replay mgs1+2 and the max payne games mostly iirc

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh i went through mp1 again two years ago, getting the itch to do it again soon.

Another couple of games I can't get enough of them is quake and i bet im wearing down people by talking so much about it, but half life 1. Both have movement that i really really like and it helps that they aren't very long. Used to replay them twice every year.

One game I loved to death but didnt bother to touch again after 100%ing it was Mark of the Ninja. One of the best stealth games ever made, but I just can't think of a good reason to go through again except for the dlc i got gifted last sale, and even then I doubt i'd do the full campaign again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ArfJason posted:

but re4 isn't hard? O.o

Not after the first playthrough but you get rad special weapons for NG+ that let you mow through that game in disgusting manner

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

C-Euro posted:

Semi-related, but if you have designed a game with a focus on exploration, but lock the player into a certain area at the end of the game and don't let them run around with their maxxed-out character, you are going to be the first against the wall when I'm God-Emperor of the world. Kind of random but Star Fox Adventures will always stand out in my mind as the example of this.

i cant stand it when this happens. its terrible

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Castlevania after SotN have the best NG+, personally

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I only replay games that have really varied gameplay... So while I really like single-player CoD for example I'm never going to replay it because it'll be exactly the same. But in most RPG games I can choose a different class or something which changes the playstyle enough to make it worth it. I actually don't like Dark Souls NG+/replays because the base mechanics for all the types of stuff you can focus on are the same, and it's not enough to trick my sperg brain into thinking I'm doing something different. Also I kinda get bored even with new enemy placements and whatnot.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i never liked ng+ in metal gear rising since you start out at full power, so when i played on very hard i started a fresh file and the first thing you see after the tutorial is a gorilla dude who takes loving ages to kill

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the NG+ super difficulty modes in platinum games are really awesome, iirc bayo 2 straight up had new enemies on the climax mode, you'd fight double/triple minibosses, and a lot of enemies used new attacks.

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

the NG+ super difficulty modes in platinum games are really awesome, iirc bayo 2 straight up had new enemies on the climax mode, you'd fight double/triple minibosses, and a lot of enemies used new attacks.

oh yeah the original ninja gaiden on xbox did this too, youd see enemies on hard and up that you never saw on normal

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i finish most games i play at least twice. even if they dont have ng+. i choose carefully though

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

symbolic posted:

*macklemore voice* This is loving awesome

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

JRPGs are a time sink and even though I really love them, it's not likely that I'll put in the time to replay Earthbound, for example, when I still have to play through Mother 3. It's a shame since I really like them, but there are exceptions to this like right now I'm playing through Pokémon Blue. I always like replaying Super Metroid and Castlevanias. When I completed Dark Souls I didn't really see a reason to go through NG+ immediately, but since then I've replayed it several times with some intervals and it's always goddamn epic.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

When I find a game I really like I usually play through it a few times with some other games in between. I've played all my favorite games at least four or five times.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Long rear end JRPGs are rare for me to revisit but I did play through persona 4 twice in the span of about a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

The ending where you have to solo Lavos as Crono ftw

• Locked thread