Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

https://youtu.be/N6VTzPU-yiE?t=35s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
:slick:

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
man this game was extremely ambitious

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

the camspy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I loved PErfect Dark so much.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

that mission where on easy mode you snipe some guys to save the negotiator, but on hard mode, you ARE the negotiator

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i was purely a goldeneye boy, and played this out of curiosity years later in an emulator. couldnt believe this poo poo was running on an n64, rare really pulled out all the stops

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Bobnumerotres posted:

couldnt believe this poo poo was running on an n64

to be fair, only by a loose definition of "running"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GameCube posted:

that mission where on easy mode you snipe some guys to save the negotiator, but on hard mode, you ARE the negotiator
I miss games that really changed up the levels depending on difficulty. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye did it so well. The last game I can think of that did it was Timesplitters 2, made by ex-Rare people I think, the jungle level had a whole ridiculous Indiana Jones ruin that you would just never see on easy mode and the first level had a secret zombie laboratory breakout and helicopter bossfight. It was insane.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Drew Curtis' Perfect Fark

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

im glad some people remember

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

perfect dark hd on xbox 360 is the definitive edition. its completely unplayable on n64 after seeing a pure 60 fps instead of 10

Captain Fuck Face
May 6, 2007

:] i like to read post :]
Expansion Pak REQUIRED

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Bobnumerotres posted:

i was purely a goldeneye boy, and played this out of curiosity years later in an emulator. couldnt believe this poo poo was running on an n64, rare really pulled out all the stops

It ran at 20 fps

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

never use the nbomb in multiplayer

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mysterious loyall X posted:

It ran at 20 fps

i guess the emu fixed that lolol but i remember some crazy things. the first level was full of destructable stuff, at some point in the game there was a pool table w/ ball physics and stuff. craziness

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal

trying to jack off posted:

i drop the nbomb wherever i want

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

mysterious loyall X posted:

It ran at 20 fps

fps didnt exist back then

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

man this game was extremely ambitious

yeah man. it stretched the n64 to its limits

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCuaaGk9IpM

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

trying to jack off posted:

never punch anybody in multiplayer

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

for those of you who don't Get The Reference: punches caused a motion blur effect that dropped the game to like 3 fps, and they forgot to turn it off when you died, and I'm pretty sure the duration stacked so if you got punched three times it would be five minutes before the game was playable again so you were better off resetting the match

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

GameCube posted:

never punch anybody in multiplayer

using disarm to blur someone as badly as possible before killing them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

tumor looking batty posted:

fps didnt exist back then

I remember seeing PSX sports games that ran at 60fps and they looked crazy to my eyes but I didn't know why

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

I own two xbla games despite never owning a 360: perfect dark and rez

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Steak is the best movie ever made.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

I remember seeing PSX sports games that ran at 60fps and they looked crazy to my eyes but I didn't know why

A lot of fighting games did too. These guys compiled a list of all 3D PSX/Saturn/N64 games that ran at 60fps

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26920-Games-with-3D-graphics-running-at-60-fps-5th-Generation-Consoles

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

GameCube posted:

for those of you who don't Get The Reference: punches caused a motion blur effect that dropped the game to like 3 fps, and they forgot to turn it off when you died, and I'm pretty sure the duration stacked so if you got punched three times it would be five minutes before the game was playable again so you were better off resetting the match

lmao

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

didnt halo 1 have something like that? you could punch a body over and over and the blood spatters would keep stacking forever and lag everyone the gently caress out

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

I got it when it came out because I loved Goldeneye but then on the first level I kept riding the elevators up and down and didn't know where to go so I got bored and gave up. Then years later I decided to give the 360 port another shot but I didn't know where to go on the first level and got bored and gave up

Walking around in the carrington institute is cool I guess

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

didnt halo 1 have something like that? you could punch a body over and over and the blood spatters would keep stacking forever and lag everyone the gently caress out

No. But if you suicided fast enough, you would eventually have a HUGE pile of grenades and guns. Then you could throw a grenade at them and make the game lag.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

I got it when it came out because I loved Goldeneye but then on the first level I kept riding the elevators up and down and didn't know where to go so I got bored and gave up. Then years later I decided to give the 360 port another shot but I didn't know where to go on the first level and got bored and gave up

Walking around in the carrington institute is cool I guess

you use the elevator to get to the bottom floor and then you use another elevator to end the first level

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

A lot of fighting games did too. These guys compiled a list of all 3D PSX/Saturn/N64 games that ran at 60fps

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?26920-Games-with-3D-graphics-running-at-60-fps-5th-Generation-Consoles

wow there were 3 n64 games that ran a solid 60, that's crazy

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

In Training posted:

wow there were 3 n64 games that ran a solid 60, that's crazy
I can’t believe F-Zero X managed but it makes sense as to why it seemed so fast and kinetic. It was good

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

thinking about nintendo 64 games

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

What games on n64 run at 60fps

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

What games on n64 run at 60fps
click the goddamn link. jesus. god. gently caress

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Dark Rift (1997)
F-Zero X (1998)
Gauntlet Legends (1999) (30+ fps variable frame rate which may peak at 60 fps)
Killer Instinct Gold (1996) (2D sprites and 2D gameplay in a 3D world)
Mortal Kombat 4 (1998)
Super Smash Bros. (1999) (variable frame rate which may peak at 60 fps under certain circunstances)
Virtual Hiryu no Ken 1.5 (1998) (included in Flying Dragon) (variable frame rate which may peak at 60 fps)

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

sometimes I feel like a 2d sprite in a 3d world....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gauntlet Legends ran at 2 frames per second

• Locked thread