Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
drat, Bob.

Bob the Drag Queen's FB Page posted:

There have been some very strong reactions to my win on Monday. I want to thank all of my supporters. You guys have lifted me up and I promise not to let you down. This is more than just a crown, it's a legacy. With great drag comes comes great responsibility.
In regards to the negativity that I have received, just remember HATERS GONE HATE. It's in their nature, they don't know any better and they can't help themselves. They really seem to love doing it and I don't want to take that joy away from them. I must say though I didn't expect to see it from an actual RuPaul's Drag Race alumni.
So RAVEN I know you HATE my purse, but I can think of about 100,000 reasons my purse is better than yours. ‪#‎bloop‬ ‪#‎ifyourgoingtobeshadynexttimejusttagme‬ ‪#‎thequeenhasspoken‬

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Thank god Bob doesn't play games. I can't stand another spate of vaguebooking BS involving Raja or Raven. 🙄

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

big black turnout posted:

You can't be a household name if you're worried your mommy might see you, if I'm being brutally honest here.

As an Asian person with first federation immigrant parents, it's shockingly easy to get away with becoming well known without your parents knowing. The language and cultural barriers gives you more leeway than you'd expect.

Another point that I think most people wouldn't understand about Asian culture and how that affects the process of coming out is that queerness basically doesn't exist in Asian society. Some Asian languages don't even have their own word for being gay. The word gay in Cantonese was borrowed from English. However, we do have our own word for human being. In southern cultures, kids would find no support for being gay. Asian kids can be disowned and left to die by the whole culture. Granted, Asian's approach to queerness varies according to which country they're from, but I wouldn't be surprised if Koreans tend to be very conservative.

I don't think it's fair to call her cowardly or say Kimchi is less for not being out to her mother. Cultural issues complicate coming out.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I think Bob is in for a bit of a pallor being cast over his win for the duration of his reign. The Children, (legendary or not, or only having come up with, but not being one of, the Legendary Children [sorry I love that guy from Paris is Burning]) have chosen Kim Chi as their avatar and all they wanted to talk about after the finale was Kim and Violet's dress. I searched the RPDR Reddit front two pages and there were only two actual mentions of Bob to be found the rest was wall to wall Kim and Violet. I think its going to be a full year process for Bob to win or not win over those vocal, social media viewers that sadly are weighed as a component of the buzz-metrics that determine things like booking fees and real world advertisement gigs. Bob might not get away from the negativity for a long while.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

shadow puppet of a posted:

I think Bob is in for a bit of a pallor being cast over his win for the duration of his reign. The Children, (legendary or not, or only having come up with, but not being one of, the Legendary Children [sorry I love that guy from Paris is Burning]) have chosen Kim Chi as their avatar and all they wanted to talk about after the finale was Kim and Violet's dress. I searched the RPDR Reddit front two pages and there were only two actual mentions of Bob to be found the rest was wall to wall Kim and Violet. I think its going to be a full year process for Bob to win or not win over those vocal, social media viewers that sadly are weighed as a component of the buzz-metrics that determine things like booking fees and real world advertisement gigs. Bob might not get away from the negativity for a long while.

Nobody at Reddit was pleased about Violet's win either last year. It'll pass.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Are people not going to go see Bob if she's in town because she's not Kim? Maybe a couple but that's it. She's going to be fine.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

shadow puppet of a posted:

I searched the RPDR Reddit front two pages and there were only two actual mentions of Bob to be found the rest was wall to wall Kim and Violet.

Really? One of the highest rated posts this week is PurseFirst's Bob's new video. The other one is a discussion of Ru's awkward crusade regarding Kim's mother. There were plenty of purse posts all week in anticipation of the finale. Perhaps part of the issue was posting anything about the winner outside of the winner thread was forbidden.

In any case, I didn't sense much anti-Bob or anti-Kim sentiment aside from outlying , unpopular comments.

As for the Violet posts, bitch deserves all the attention for that.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

We like both Bob and Kim Chi because liking things isn't a zero sum game.

However the loudest scream/squeal/noise my girlfriend made during the finale was when it cut to Kim Chi's friends in the audience and the founder of Sugarpill was sitting next to Trixie. (Which reminds me, I'm supposed to order her Kim Chi's eyeshadow).

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

I can't believe people are being mean to/about Bob. gently caress that makes me mad.

As the season went on, and I got used to him being so funny and great just as a guy, I realized that Bob's style of drag is something I have never seen before on this show -- what someone on ONTD called "realness realness". All those pants, all that flight attendant hair -- I know that lady. She's a normal lady, if charismatic and hilarious. Plenty of folks have aunties just like her, and that is VERY hard to pull off. She isn't Instagenic, she isn't showy, but she's real, and Bob knows it, and it takes major balls and confidence to bring that game against serious look queens. oval office. All of it.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
That basically sums it up for me. I admit it, I wanted Chi Chi to win. Out of the final three, however, I thought they were all amazing in entirely different ways. I would have honestly been cool with any of them taking it, because they all had a reason to win.

Bob is all my Mormon and Southern Baptist aunts, in terms of dress and that kind of guileless charisma.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

flynt posted:

From a while back, you got your wish!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

It makes me happy that by all accounts Ru was genuinely surprised and delighted by Bob's purse offering. :kimchi:

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

CaptainScraps posted:

I'm glad y'all got to see a Cynthia Lee Fontaine impression. They're so bad. I love them.

"Biiiiiitch."

Speaking of impressions, I missed this from before the finale:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_vpNr_TOqg

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone
So next year a "look" or "fashion" queen has to win right? The comedy queen gene always skips a generation.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Old Surly posted:

So next year a "look" or "fashion" queen has to win right? The comedy queen gene always skips a generation.

It all comes down to casting. I suspect a more old-school drag performer who has the look but can also deliver great performances will take the crown.

...gently caress, I'm still describing Bianca del Rio, aren't I?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
But hasn't Ru also been itching for a bigger queen?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Propaganda Machine posted:

If he was, he should've picked Kim. :colbert:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Its going to be a Faux Queen getting crowned next year and you know it. That is the only potential growth market for the show and sponsors. Logo then uses that to refocus its brand as something squarely aimed at the previously mentioned invading batchelorette party demographic. All Ru has to do is sell everyone out for the chance to make huge money.

Not too far fetched then.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Hmm, the newest Transformations features a drag king who discusses the growth in performance, style, and pageants - even mentions some established houses are bringing kings in. I wonder if we'd ever see a drag king oriented version of Drag Race?

Also looking forward to a mini-challenge designing a rival to PursePurse Imfurst.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Are drag kings known for sassiness? If not, I don't see it having as much draw.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

gandlethorpe posted:

If he was, he should've picked Kim. :colbert:

I think Ru would be a little less concerned with "want a bigger queen" than "want a queen to be the face of my franchise, as a symbol of pride and de facto standard-bearer of the drag community, to be able to tell their own mother that they do drag"

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

Yeah. If Vicky Vox manages to put down the Fireball and get her poo poo together this might be her year, finally.

e: Unless she's been tarred irrevocably with the Willam brush, which I hope isn't true.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

spite house posted:

Yeah. If Vicky Vox manages to put down the Fireball and get her poo poo together this might be her year, finally.
God almighty I want this to happen

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

How did this not make it to broadcast?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG_q-SbRqzI

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

spite house posted:

e: Unless she's been tarred irrevocably with the Willam brush, which I hope isn't true.

Imagine Peter Griffin decided to do drag.

That's Vicky Vox. I love her.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

ALFbrot posted:

I think Ru would be a little less concerned with "want a bigger queen" than "want a queen to be the face of my franchise, as a symbol of pride and de facto standard-bearer of the drag community, to be able to tell their own mother that they do drag"

Maybe it's just because I remember seeing ru doing it when I was a child, but I've always felt like she was looking for the queen that could host a talk show on television that the general public could get into - or at least a modern equivalent of doing so.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Pan Dulce posted:

How did this not make it to broadcast?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG_q-SbRqzI

Is there legit heat between them or is it all kayfabe?

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Capsaicin posted:

They were on tour together here recently and appeared a few times in vids, so I think it's just playing it up for the drama. I think Trixie herself would be the first to say people either love or hate her makeup so she probably wasn't too bothered by it anyhow.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

big black turnout posted:

Maybe it's just because I remember seeing ru doing it when I was a child, but I've always felt like she was looking for the queen that could host a talk show on television that the general public could get into - or at least a modern equivalent of doing so.

Crown Latrice.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Capsaicin posted:

"I just don't get her makeup!" - noted sublte makeup enthusiast Regular Beatrice

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Some topical political commentary from Jackie Beats and Willam, "Penis in the Ladies Room"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1_OoHyaVGk

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Isn't next season All-Stars? Hopefully Alaska can take the crown - losing to Jynx was a load of horseshit.

Edit: since I don't think it has been posted
http://youtu.be/0NPcFzYfRo4

the truth fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 23, 2016

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

the truth posted:

Isn't next season All-Stars? Hopefully Alaska can take the crown - losing to Jynx was a load of horseshit.

Edit: since I don't think it has been posted
http://youtu.be/0NPcFzYfRo4

You gotta hand it to Jynx. She was a sleeper hit with the audience. :haw:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Ru already handed Jynx $100k; he doesn't need anything else handed to him.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
I'll leave some Kim Chi cooking here for you all:
https://youtu.be/YRXtd1-eiTo

Best thing she says is that people think her name might be Kim Kardashian, and Chi is from Chicago, but it's cabbage. Pickled cabbage.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Watrick posted:

Best thing she says is that people think her name might be Kim Kardashian, and Chi is from Chicago, but it's cabbage. Pickled cabbage.

:psyduck:

Who couldn't make the connection that her name Kim Chi, was literally kimchi?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

First Monday without new Drag Race :sigh: Is this withdrawal?

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
RuPaul BOTS last week (Charlotte, NC). Ho. Lee. poo poo.

I bought VIP and it was worth every penny. I got to meet everyone and have a little convo with each queen : Phi Phi, Adore, Fame, Violet, Alaska, Courtney and a total surprise - Sharon (she was filling in for Ginger who was out sick). They were all sooooo personable :3 I'm kind of shy and guarded so I'm mindful of respecting others' personal boundaries but they were very warm and huggy... not to mention GORGEOUS up close. The only one I didn't meet was Pearl but she was just doing a DJ set so she didn't come out for the pre show.

They replaced the signs on the bathrooms with "gender neutral"

Can we talk about the loving show? I had read about BOTS here and on reddit but it really exceeded my expectations. I knew those bitches were talented but WOW. Visage was exquisite. Everyone's performance was tight. They did a Snatch Game sketch that killed me (Alaska = Lady Bunny, Phi Phi = a hoodrat mickey mouse in fantasia wizard garb, Sharon = Wonk-eyed Caitlyn Jenner - all of them were loving hilarious). They did some runway looks (Courtney's big rear end wings + Violet's tartan reveal LIVE!!!), Miss Fame did a live sketch of a face, Phi Phi can loving sing, Sharon did David Bowie, they did a Rocky Horror Picture Show medley where I practically had a pentecostal religious conniption... there was just so much. It was so good. Violet wasn't able to do her aerial performance :( but she did some sexy burlesque.

I know I can't affort VIP every year but I will probably do the $40 tickets next year. It's an amazing show.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
drat, I wish I'd sprung for VIP. I was at the show in Columbia, SC the night before the one you went to, and the venue gave everyone the boot pretty much as soon as the show ended. Definitely still a really fun time, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Who's going to BOTS NYC tonight? Where my people at???

• Locked thread