Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Who do you think logo is for, a marginalized group with a large amount of disposable income or something? :rolleyes:

Just curious, how common is Logo among cable companies? Time Warner has had it here (central Ohio) since the late 90's, and before that the only people I knew that had it got it through satellite.

I guess I just thought that if you had cable, you had Logo.

Team Bob the Drag Queen here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
If it were my show, I'd only have the Shade Tree for one episode. Right before everyone performed their dance number, I'd show all the queens each other's confessions on a big screen.

Poor can't dance Kim Chi. So adorable out of drag, too.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Like a few of you, the whole LSFYL I was thinking "Jesus just send em both packing". There are a handful of songs that every self-respecting queen should have a routine worked out for.

Is tearing off your dress going to be the new tearing off your wig?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I know this is ridiculous, but I can't figure out how to read reddit. Is there more detail on the accusation in that link, or is it just fan discussion based on the tweet that was also posted earlier?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I have been sick in bed since Monday with the flu, but I just watched the last episode tonight. I had been reading y'alls comments since Monday. Thankfully, my flu-addled brain convinced me that Robbie was going home. It was getting all pissed off since he was killing that LSFYL.

CLF never really grew in me, so I was competently fine with the elimination.

I'm not sure what to expect from Derrick, as far as him showing himself on the runway. He said in the first episode that he's only ever done Britney, so I doubt he knows anything else.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I think a lot of the queens confuse "I really love this person" with "I can do a fantastic impression of this person".

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Wouldn't both of those be off limits as part of WoW's "no copyrighted characters" rule?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
This is the first time in more than a decade that I've seen Debby Harry without a bunch of lipstick on her teeth.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Stabitha posted:

I think if Derrick pulled this off, Michelle Visage would give him a pass for doing Britney for Snatch Game.

Yeah but that kind of thing, if not done to perfection, would be excruciating to watch.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The pretend challenge that Ru was telling them about would be amazing! I would kill for a show where queens have to drive around together finding roadkill and making evening gowns out of it.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Legislacerator posted:

That whole episode was painful. Shameful runway.

Seriously, how do you make "Night of 1000 Madonnas" so boring?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Also, why is Madonna-kimono the one look everyone went for? I was hoping someone would do her Vogue at the MTV Awards look, but that probably isn't as practical as a kimono.

That was my question, too. Unless you're born in 1987, how is Kimono Madonna the iconic Madonna you think of? My mind would have immediately gone to Express Yourself Madonna or Blond Ambition Madonna or even black leather & chiffon Madonna. I didn't see a single goddamn drawn-on mole that entire runway.

Maybe I'm just old.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Nyeehg posted:

You're not out of touch. Too many queens don't respect the classics.

Huh, I thought Deathlove was making fun of me for wanting older Madonna. Now I feel better!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

big black turnout posted:

I was really disappointed in Betty for not having some kind of tear away with another outfit underneath. It also just kinda speaks to her arrogance, because she should've been expecting to lip sync after that snatch game performance

Even though I knew from here that she was going home, as soon as Ru said that Betty would be lip syncing, I knew she was done because that dress was impossible to dance in. I loved it, but if you know you called the challenge you need to come prepared.

As happy as everyone is to see talented queens after last season, I've been rather underwhelmed. I know they have the talent and the looks, but Ru has thrown them some amazing opportunities to shine and they've disappointed every time. I'm sure previous season queens would have killed for I Will Survive or a Madonna runway challenge.

It would be like Ru giving them a John Waters theme and everyone showing up as Tab Hunter.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
At the same time, since everyone knows that regardless of what the judges say, it's the producers who pull the strings at elimination time, so I can see being extremely reticent to piss them off.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

CHiRAL posted:

Well, they did say they're going back to their roots

All they need to do now is cram a dozen klieg lights under the judge's desk so that the only features left are their lips and hair.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I've just been posting here under the assumption that all y'all were soccer moms.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Actually, come to think of it, Logo in the US shows mostly Luvs diaper ads, fitbit ads and the kind of commercials you only see during daytime judge shows.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
He really should have known better than to 86 the wig.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Miss Nomer posted:

Anyone watched Gay for Play? I've learned that my teen crush on Jerry O'Connell when he was on Sliders was well founded. I loved his rant on who the target demographic was.

I did. It was okay, I guess. It was outrageously low budget. I did like Jerry O'Connell on it. I had a crush on him in Sliders, too.

I had gotten the impression, from the commercials, that there was celebrity contestants every week, but I guess they are only there to kick it off. Michele Visage looked great, though. Since I only ever see her behind the desk, I had assumed she had an Ursula lower half.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Was my cable company's feed off or did Derrick not know the lyrics to the song? It looked like he was mouthing "rhubarb" the whole time.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The cowardly lion outfits really would have been a million times better if they had the giant mane that Linda Evangelista wore in the Too Funky video.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Derrick did kill that LSFYL, but is it just me or did he just rotate through classic Britney dance moves? Either way, if we're basing the loser just on the LSFYL, Robbie deserved to go.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Combed Thunderclap posted:

WTF else is Logo going to show?

Facts of Life reruns. Lots and lots of Facts of Life reruns.

Edit: and somehow every time I turn one on it's always the one where Blair's retarded friend comes over to tell jokes or the one where Jo is dating her professor.

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 15, 2016

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I liked her, but I think Thorgy had shown us all she had to show.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

caligulamprey posted:

Straight dudes are getting into that buttstuff now. It's the cool, new hip thing that all the kids are doin'.

Now if only it were hip and fresh to get them into middle aged guys with too many cats I'd be set.

Rewatched this morning, still got chills during her LSFYL.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Yeah, I noticed that on my re-watch this morning, too.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's why Derrick had my sympathy, because it always seemed not like he was unwilling to listen to the judges critiques, but that he just didn't understand what they were saying or how to do any of the things they asked of him.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Hermetic posted:

being unbelievably hot out of drag

No, I think that should count towards a win. I can forgive a lot of mistakes if the guy making them is foxy.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

CaptainScraps posted:

Oh my god. Cynthia Lee Fontaine is so amazingly sweet and kooky. Just had dinner with her for about two hours. Cannot say enough good things about her.

I'm pretty much going to have to insist on more details than that!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Turns out it was just her culo.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Maybe it looked better up close, but from the runway it looked like she had an abscess over each eye.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Echo Video posted:

was any of that worth it, we turned it off five minutes in

Not really. I like Bianca, but I think I got maybe 2 or 3 laughs out of the 90 minutes, and they were chuckles at best. She needed to spend less time talking about how everyone is too PC these days, and focus on making us laugh. Also, after 90 minutes her voice becomes incredibly grating.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
No, it really wasn't funny at all. She had a physical prop on stage of a Rolodex, filled with things she hated, but she never touched it and never talked about things she hated, other that reiterating over and over that everyone is too PC, then talked about her mom and growing up. The stuff about growing up, if true, was sorta interesting, but it had the potential of being funny and touching, yet was neither.

She also had a really annoying habit of telling a joke that would have been mildly shocking 20 years ago, then screaming "Oh gently caress you!" at the audience even though no one was jeering. I think she was trying to pull a Joan Rivers with that, but Joan Rivers was genuinely funny and shocking.

Mostly I really just want new Joan Rivers stand-up :sadwave:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Honestly, straight ladies have been somewhat obnoxious in gay bars for a while now.

I feel bad even saying it because we, of all people, should not be excluding anyone based on orientation. However, unless it's a big noisy dance club type of bar, most of us like a nice low key place to hang out. Especially here in the Bible belt where a place to feel safe and comfortable is worth it's weight in gold. Then a bachelorette party comes in drunk and screaming and thinks we're all just dying to cater to them. We appreciate that y'all feel comfortable and safe around us, but no one likes an obnoxious houseguest.

I've even had straight women get drunk and think it's totally ok to grab my crotch (hard), and say something stupid like "let's see what you're working with!" When I've pushed their hand away and said "that's not ok" they get offended. I wouldn't dream of doing that to you! Because my hand would smell funny.

Honestly, ladies, a small number of y'all are ruining it for the rest of you.

Edit: the one part of Bianca's standup that made me laugh was chiding straight women for doing the unthinkable in the bathroom at the bar; going to the bathroom. The bathroom is for sucking dick and checking your hair!

criscodisco fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 12, 2016

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

big black turnout posted:

My favorite thing about this article is the passing assumption that straight women can like drag but not straight men

To be fair, when you're talking to a large enough audience, you play the numbers. What I mean is that, sure, there's certainly lots of straight guys open minded enough let go and just have fun watching a great performance, but it's certainly much less than half, at least when you're taking the entire country/world into consideration.

If I were writing an article about proper decorum in a titty bar, I would write it with straight men in mind. That being said, there's women who enjoy titty bars and I, being gayer than old paree, love a nice grimy titty bar.

I'm not defending it, just saying that I can understand writing to the audience that you assume will be reading it. I didn't read the article, though, so I could just be talking out of my rear end.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Do the queens torture you when you're with your wife? I only ask because the few times I've been at a show with a straight couple, the queens relished flirting and embarrassing the straight guy. It's a cheap laugh for sure, but a laugh nonetheless.

For as much as I love drag culture, I've been to surprisingly few performances, so I could be way off base. I think it's the result of a life lived in the Midwest. My favorite memory, though, is accompanying my friend Shawn to a national drag competition in Chicago that he was competing in, and watching him lose to a double amputee dressed as Patsy Cline, who sang "I Fall to Pieces" while letting one prosthetic leg and one prosthetic arm fall off midway through the performance. I hadn't even realize she was an amputee :psyduck:

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It really was. She swayed perfectly to the song on one leg for a good two minutes, although presumably she had experience balancing on one leg.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm thinking it's just correlation, because I've seen lots of Aussies bitching online about how the new-ish liquor laws have killed Sydney's nightlife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That's the part I forgot, the inappropriate questions. One after another.

"So do you like really hairy butts?"
"Um... yeah"
*in unison* "EWWWWW!"

"ARE YOU A POWER BOTTOM?"
*only knows what that is because they saw that one episode of It's Always Sunny that everyone has seen*

You know who should be coming to gay bars? Old black women. I've never met an old black woman who batted an eye at my sexuality, and they've all just been like "you like dick, whatever", as if it's the most normal thing on earth.

• Locked thread