Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Quinctia posted:

Jaidynn getting read for one of the more interesting Death Becomes Her looks while Kennedy didn't even get critiqued that week, despite looking like a hot mess.

I've said it before, I feel that Ru already knows who she wants to win each season, although she is of course open to changing that. For example, she planned on having Chad Michaels win season 4, until Sharon Needles broke out, and so to correct that, she gave her All Stars.

I think Kennedy got off so easy early in the season, and even won challenges where she should have been in the bottom, because Ru was trying to justify a Kennedy win. But by the end when it became apparent that Kennedy simply wasn't cutting it, she had find someone else.

And I really could do with never seeing anything regarding Jasmine Masters again, top five worst queen on the show ever.

But nobody really deserved a win last season. I'm looking forward to a return to form for this amazing show.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Great start to the season so far. I wasn't really feeling Kimchi in the promos, but I absolutely fell for her this week.

For the first time I think ever in the series, there wasn't anyone that I disliked. Just as I felt like I was about to turn against someone, they pulled out a great look, or even Laila's lipsync, which was amazing.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

I haven't followed the careers of most of these girls, just watched the show.

I would not pay money to see Tyra Sanchez, all I'm sayin'

to paraphrase Willam:

You can make talent pretty, it's a lot harder to find a talent for pretty.

Last I heard she mostly stopped performing? Didn't she also have some legal issues?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Combed Thunderclap posted:

First episode with commentary from Violet and Raja is up and it's so amazing.

They did the same thing last season and it was so fun, wish they'd do it for more than the first episode. :sigh:

It's up where? Logo's website?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Kim Chi needs to work on her confidence. She's like the one cute guy this season. But I get it, the inner fatty never truly dies, no matter how in shape you get.

I wasn't impressed by Thorgy last week, and in fact found her kind of annoying, but this was Thorgy's challenge. She absolutely killed it.

But Ru loves a ghetto queen. We've seen it time after time. If you do a ghetto queen even half-assed competently, Ru just gobbles it up. Don't get me wrong, Chichi did well, but Thorgy deserved the win.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A God drat Ghost posted:

I totally can see that happening to Kim Chi but I just don't see Derrick or Naomi in the top 3 at this point. Derrick has already demonstrated that she can't design or construct a garment, she faded into the background in the dance competition, and she's not doing anything to push the boundaries or be really memorable. Can she sing, act, or make me laugh? Naomi is gorgeous but had a really weak look last week, I don't know if she has other hidden talents we have yet to see but she isn't coming off as a big personality either and I think given the other queens, she'll need to be to get the spotlight.

Apparently Derrick can sing. I was listening to Jonny McGovern's podcast The Gayest of All Time (formerly Gay Pimpin') today, and the gang all went to the premiere party. They were saying that each the queens got to do a number, and Derrick shocked everyone by coming out and singing live.

They also said that Acid Betty's track kept on skipping, so she finally just shouted "gently caress it!" and stomped off stage without doing her number.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

I like Robbie, but she's lucky she wasn't the only one who showed up to season 8 not knowing how to construct a garment.

It's like the queens who show up that don't have a good impression ready for Snatch Game. How long has the show been going on that you're still showing up unprepared for it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

criscodisco posted:

I think a lot of the queens confuse "I really love this person" with "I can do a fantastic impression of this person".

Or, they can do a fantastic impression, but can they be funny. Some people are difficult to make funny. I saw earlier someone crossing their fingers that Bob would do Michelle Obama. Which, I'm sure he could do a fine impression, but how do you make Michelle Obama funny?

As fierce as Michelle is, in the 8 years that she's been in the public eye, I can't think of anyone who has done a funny impression of her, and I think it's unlikely that a drag queen would be the first one to pull that one off.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Programmable Soda posted:

Not if she pulls a Ben de la Creme and just presents them using their real names.

Or Stacy in season 3.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousTerminal posted:

Then again, Willam's book is coming out soon and he supposedly put in exactly what happened, so it may also not be that.

Yup. His NDA expires soon, so that's when the book is coming out.

There have been all sorts of rumors, ranging from he snuck his husband into his hotel room to smoking pot during the competition.

I feel like when it's finally revealed, it's going to be something completely underwhelming.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Berzerker posted:

Where can I find out the cast? I looked the other day and couldn't. Can someone spoiler it or PM it to me or something?

One of the queens broke up with this guy he was dating shortly after filming ended, and as revenge, the bitter ex spilled all the details online. So, this is likely accurate.

The Cast:

Alaska
Katya
Roxxxy
Detox
Tatianna
Coco
Alyssa
Ginger
Phi-phi
Adore

The season's twist:
The Winner each week gets to choose who goes home, from the bottom 2.

Early outs:
Coco is the first to go home. Apparently Adore walked off set and quit second.

Top 3:
Alaska, Detox, and Katya

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 27, 2016

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Zombie Squared posted:

I thought the Kim Chi and Acid Betty looks this week would not have looked out of place on a Face/off episode, but I loved both of them.

I know! If this had been a runway focused challenged, they for sure would have been in the top two. I don't think we've ever seen makeup like theirs on the show before.

Also, Chichi just absolutely slayed on that runway. She has that same messy charisma that Adore has. There is raw talent, and if she had the resources and the confidence, she could go far.

I loved that Naysha left Chichi some outfits.

And Naysha also has such gorgeous handwriting. Mine is like chicken scratches.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cael posted:

The lack of the judges never calling Naomi out on relying solely on her legs has infuriated my wife and I every week when watching. It's just HEY I HAVE LONG LEGS every single time combined with--as someone noted--"bra + panties + X" outfits.

I'm guessing this has to do with editing. They'll step up her criticism as it gets closer to her elimination. She's been safe every week, right?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dino. posted:

I enjoy the guests on Hey Qween, but I find the host a bit grating. And he seems to drop the ball on asking good questions in the interview. They're always like the same questions everyone's asked a million times.

I've been listening to his podcast Gayest of All Time (previously Gay Pimpin) for years. He used to be on Logo's The Big Gay Sketch Show. He's funnier when he's just kiki-ing with his friends, and talking about their drunken antics. Julie and Brandy from Bravo's The Vanderpump Rules After Show and The People's couch have been doing the show with him for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar53Mp4BJWc

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dino. posted:

Do you have a link to a thing where he's just relaxed, and not trying so hard to put on a character? I feel like I'd enjoy spending time with him, and the impression that I get from him on his show is that he's a genuinely sweet person.

Here's a link to his podcast. He used to do them weekly, but there are only episodes every month or two now. They get better the more you listen to them, as they talk a lot about their inner circle of friends without really taking the time to fill in new viewers.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/gayest-all-time-jonny-mcgovern/id107195698?mt=2

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

Thorgy says they only showed 10% of how funny Derrick was.

That really surprises me, because what they showed of Derrick really underwhelmed me. I never thought I'd say it, but Tatiana did it better all the way back in season 2. He didn't get the voice at all. Doing a shimmy every 30 seconds isn't enough. I guess that's the thing though. Derrick does Britney professionally, but I'm sure that involves just getting the look, and lip syncing to her every night. That isn't enough of an impression for snatch game.

And I was pretty surprised that Bob would even consider doing Carol Channing, given that Pandora killed it, again in season 2. Bob did well though, but he really didn't need to do it given that his Uzo was spot on.

Kim Chi doing Pearl would have been a disaster, given that Pearl wasn't really known for an over the top personality, which is what you need to have a really successful go at Snatch Game. His Kimmy Jong Un was fine. An amusing concept that didn't really go anywhere.

Thorgy was just fine for me. I think by doing boy drag, he was hoping he'd be taking a risk like Kennedy doing Little Richard last season, but it didn't even hit me until halfway through that he was even doing boy drag. He was funny, but he needed to push it a little more.

And the rest, Robbie, Naomi, Acid Betty, ChiChi, probably some of the worst Snatch Game performances ever seen on the show.

This is the highlight of every season since 2. How are queens still coming unprepared. I just don't get it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Programmable Soda posted:

That was a terrible song choice. They should've done a bigger hit, something like Like a Prayer so they can showcase some variety in their performance. Or a ballad! We haven't had a slow number in a while. I would've died if they'd done Live to Tell or Take a Bow.

Maybe it was too much money?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Stroop There It Is posted:

:qq: I PUT MYSELF IN A BRITNEY BOX :qq:

also ChiChi is definitely getting a personal arc boost, that runway look was like Shangela's corn outfit level

Is anyone else watching this with the Logo app and getting nothing but diaper, detergent, and haircare ads? Or does it just think I'm a particularly smelly mom with weak hair?

Given how low rent Logo is, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out that they don't even have a dedicated advertising department. It's probably just Viacom using the same ads that they use for every Tier 3 cable channel, not even trying to cater to their audience.

Troposphere posted:

speaking of gay for play I really enjoyed willam dragging it on Instagram and him talking about how logo doesn't give a poo poo about lesbians

like finally, someone said it

You're right. Especially ever since they decided a few years ago that they weren't going to be a gay channel anymore. They have what, like 2 original shows now? The least they could do would be to show reruns of The L Word or something.

Anyway, Naomi deserved that win. They really lit the fire under her rear end last week, and some queens will crumble under that pressure, but she took it and really elevated her drag.

I think they were a little harsh on Thorgy this week, I actually quite liked her look. But I'm not surprised that she is getting frustrated. She's come in second pretty much every single week, and a couple of those times she was the clear winner.

If Robbie and Derrick's looks hadn't been so atrocious, Chichi and Bob would have been lipsyncing for sure. Derrick killed that lip sync, but now that Robbie is gone, and Naomi pulled off a win, Derrick is the last of the Tier 2 queens this season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Nemo posted:

Chi Chi should have been in Robbie's place for not spending enough time on her look.

I like Chi Chi, but the girl dressed up as Dorothy and didn't even wear red shoes. Seems like a missed opportunity.

I think at this point in the competition, your performance history starts to affect the judging panel, so given the fact that Chichi has done better overall in the competition than Robbie resulted in Chichi being safe.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Marc Jacobs is definitely on my list of guest judges who need to stick around longer, along with Leah Remini (to annoy Michelle), Chris Stein, Gillian Jacobs (gave great critiques) and Dita Von Teese (just because).

I was dying at his comments about KimChi's ceremonial passing of the brooms.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Troposphere posted:

little women la is kind of bad but it's entertaining and the girls have some really poignant conversations when they're not all screaming at each other

I remember the one who is a Britney impersonator from MTV's True Life like 15 years ago. It followed her as she was trying to break into show business, a guy getting surgery to lengthen his legs, and a girl who needed a scooter to be mobile and was dating a guy who was over 6 feet (he ended up being a creep, and when she dumped him, they followed him to little people meetups as he sought out a new girlfriend).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Flyinglemur posted:

I propose a new rule: if a wig comes off,the music stops and that queen immediately gets the hook.

Unless there is another wig underneath it of course.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Now that Thorgy is gone, there really is no competition for Bob to take the crown. Even in season 6 where it was clear that Bianca would be the winner from early on, she was rather one note, and still had fierce competition from Adore and Courtney who each brought something very different.

This season, Chichi is too unpolished, Kimchi is too stiff, and Naomi and Derrick are too boring. Thorgy was the only one left who would at least make Bob work for it. At this point it doesn't even matter who else makes it to the Top 3. None of them stand a chance against Bob.

All Hail Queen Bob the Drag Queen.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 19, 2016

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Berzerker posted:

yeah Chi Chi is the Adore of this season, not quite there yet but a strong competitor

I agree. Although Adore still had an idea of who she was, she just needed help polishing up her look. Like the judges said this week, ChiChi is trying to deny who she is.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

Thorgy came across as really genuine, upbeat, and energetic earlier in the season but it seems like since Betty left she's been really pissy.

Yeah, I think Thorgy was (naturally) getting upset that she was absolutely killing it every week (until this week), and yet she never won a single challenge. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

I think she's a strong likelihood for All-Stars 3.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

If I remember correctly, a while back Graham Norton bought the rights to do a season of Drag Race in the UK. The plan is to have this British queen be the host, and Ru would be a judge. I thought it was supposed to have happened by now, and maybe this video is proof that it is finally happening.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

CaptainScraps posted:

Somehow I won a lunch with Cynthia Lee Fontaine next week. Neat. What should I ask her?

You have to ask her about her cucu obviously.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Ooooooooof. That was a difficult episode to watch. That was just classic bullying behavior right there, Derrick just really going for the one queen she (incorrectly) thought was weaker than herself. If she had just been accurate, or funny with her reads it would have been something at least, but it was just painful to watch. I don't believe for a second that Derrick was genuine when she said that she was having some light hearted fun, she was trying to demoralize Naomi and psych her out, and I'm glad that she didn't seem to succeed in that.

But, what a fantastic runway. I really had no clue who was going to take the win this week, the competition has gotten to be that tight.

And David and Amy Sedaris really need to be there every season. What a delight.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

gandlethorpe posted:

I wanna learn more about Naomi's family. Are they like the anti-Duggars or something?

They seem really awesome. They've been posting photos of baby Naomi all over the Rupaulsdragrace subreddit today.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I know this isn't the right show, but I figured there has to be some crossover appeal, and if anyone can answer it, you guys might be the ones.

Erika Jayne from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: she wears a wig, right? It looks like it's coming up around the edges of her face sometimes during her testimonials.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Troposphere posted:

Kim chi needs her own reality tv show I could watch her forever

Kim Chi's Guide to Hooking Up

A reality dating show where the queens (in full drag) plays Cyrano and set up Kim Chi (in full on boy mode) with a different guy each week.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Stabitha posted:

This is an interesting article about the rise of aggressive straight women disrupting drag shows. I guess we straight ladies, tired of having to be on the defense in regular bars, have let the safeness of gay bars give us a false sense of security, and in turn are become obnoxious jerks.

Obnoxious Straight Ladies, don't ruin it for the rest of us straight ladies who like to be welcome in gay bars and drag shows! Be kind. Be respectful. And don't forget to tip a bitch!

http://primemind.com/articles/strai...mpaign=identity

Yeah... I second that this has been a problem at not just drag shows, but in gay bars in general for a while now. It of course doesn't happen with that one straight girl joins her gay friends, but when a group of straight girls go to a gay bar, there is a pretty good chance that they are going to be obnoxious jerks.

I don't know what it is, but they just go into some sort of frenzy. They view gay bars as a spectacle, as a circus, and the gay people there are the lions and elephants performing tricks just for their entertainment. Lots of screaming and shoving gay people aside to get through the crowd and pick a prime dancing spot, even when the bar doesn't have dancing. Deciding that the first gay guy they meet there is going to be their gay best friend, and they begin barraging that poor guy with tons of inappropriate questions.

My friends and I have all been sexually accosted by straight girls countless times while at gay bars. Some girls really try and make it their mission to try and gently caress me when they find out that I've never been with a girl before. Grabbing at my dick is NOT okay. They just find it hilarious.

You try and explain to them that gay bars are one of the only safe places in the world where gay people are in the majority, and they just get it. They just reiterate that they just love dancing at gay clubs where they don't have to worry about getting groped by random straight guys. So I'll ask them, "So where are gay guys supposed to go when they want to get away from groping straight girls? A look just glosses over their eyes, it's like they can't even fathom that there is something they are doing wrong.

I love my straight girl friends. I love bringing them to gay bars with me. But groups of straight girls, particularly bachelorette parties, are just a whole different beast.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

angerbeet posted:

Oh well, back to the off-season, at least until All-Stars 2.

Yup. Time to unsubscribe from the RuPaulsDragRace subreddit. They get really weird between seasons.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

shadow puppet of a posted:

I think Bob is in for a bit of a pallor being cast over his win for the duration of his reign. The Children, (legendary or not, or only having come up with, but not being one of, the Legendary Children [sorry I love that guy from Paris is Burning]) have chosen Kim Chi as their avatar and all they wanted to talk about after the finale was Kim and Violet's dress. I searched the RPDR Reddit front two pages and there were only two actual mentions of Bob to be found the rest was wall to wall Kim and Violet. I think its going to be a full year process for Bob to win or not win over those vocal, social media viewers that sadly are weighed as a component of the buzz-metrics that determine things like booking fees and real world advertisement gigs. Bob might not get away from the negativity for a long while.

Nobody at Reddit was pleased about Violet's win either last year. It'll pass.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tatianna's one of the many queens from the earlier seasons who have grown a lot in the 4-7 years since they were on TV. :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujn0nmqahVI

...also dang Adore still looks a hot mess :eyepop:

I saw Tatianna at her home club Town in DC last year. She definitely did not do this. She came out, she didn't dance, she didn't lip sync, she literally just made laps stomping around and grabbing dollars bills from all the straight girls losing their poo poo in the audience.

And spoilers, big spoilers, regarding what I read earlier this year about the boot order, read at your own caution:

Adore is first to go, and loses her poo poo. Alaska and.... I think Katya were the top two.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

angerbeet posted:

That's not quite right, from what I've heard (Alaska's boyfriend got mad at her for drinking and went on a messy instagram spoiler spouting spree)

Elimination spoilers: Coco is the first to go, Adore walks out in the second episode because she feels overwhelmed by the number of people from Season 5.

The top three (and other stuff about AS2) is (theoretically) already known, you can find the T by googling or searching the /r/rupaulsdragrace subreddit.

Thanks. My memory was foggy, and I like your version better than mine anyway, haha.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousTerminal posted:

It's been 6 (5?) years since then though, anything could be different, look how much Shangela grew in just a year.

I've said it here before. Having seen Tatianna at her home club Town in DC, she is still totally underwhelming. She didn't even lip sync, she just stomped around in a circle in her heels as she grabbed dollar bills from straight girls.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousTerminal posted:

In my whirlwind rewatch of all relevant seasons to All Stars 2 I've gone through all of season 5 in the last few days. During the reunion episode when they're discussing the crush Jinkx had on Ivy, Ru says "Why not go for it, triads are in right now!" and guess who shows up in the audience cutaway?

EDIT: Also may I suggest linking to this underneath Ru's entry in the All Stars OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mS_Dp1KYGIE

This is really the only video needed to be included in the OP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqGJ7I75aTE

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rewatching season 1 of All-Stars now, and aside from the stupid team mechanics, it's a lot better than I remember it being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Holy poo poo everyone looks so good :swoon:

Also everyone seems really confident and sure of themselves, as they should be. :3: It's always a bit frustrating to wait for a few episodes (or the entire season) as everyone works through their "first time on TV" jitters/non-stop panic.

Roxxxy has lost even more weight and is looking cuuuuute.

• Locked thread