Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
Let's discuss practical aspects of The Wall. How high should it be? What architectural style should we use? What materials and techniques? Who would be on the shortlist for chief architect? How many people will be employed in its construction? How many careers will be launched, and what other far reaching positive effects will we see from the works of the Wall Progress Administration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Brutalist or bust

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Each state should have its own artistic take on the wall. Drawing what represents their states on it. It should be a solid wall though with a fortress like system. Perhaps a system of tunnels within the wall for border patrol to navigate and use.

The wall should be at least 50ft maybe 60ft high.

It should have a moat on both sides filled with alligators, piranhas, pythons, and electric eels.

The wall itself should have booby traps built into it so anyone trying to climb / scale the wall will have spears pop out and stab them / bricks pull in and fall to their death.

Under the wall should be a field of bamboo spears so when they fall they get impaled.

THere should be holes in the wall too where guards can stick their guns out and shoot people.

At the top we should have vats of boiling water / acid that we can dump on people. Also those scythes from Game of Thrones they used to slice people climbing the wall.

The wall should also go down about 20ft or to bedrock so they can't tunnel under it. We should fill the ground below with some kind of toxic gas that if they dig puffs out and kills them all.

THis wall is gonna be great let me tell you. its gonna be great.

Before the wall also we should have roaming mutants and rabid dogs that eat anyone who gets close to it.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
I really like Comfortably Numb, and the whole album works well, as a concept, but I just don't find myself listening to it as much as other albums. It would be a crowing achievement for any other band, but for Floyd, it gets lost in the greatness of their total output.

Conch Shell Corp
Feb 24, 2009

Just as good as Dark Side Of The Moon.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My second favorite Pink Floyd album after Wish You Were Here

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Wall should have an American Gladiator style obstacle course built into it, where any immigrant who can successfully challenge Patriot Guardians like Laser or Nitro gets awarded a free green card. I will also accept American Ninja or Most Extreme Elimination Challenge style obstacles.

MariusMS
Jan 26, 2006

Who's laughing now?
Clapping Larry
Shall we buy a new guitar?
Shall we drive a more powerful car?
Shall we work straight through the night?
Shall we get into fights?
https://youtu.be/_9LdxANt2ag

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

trump supporters are going to be heartbroken if the wall ends up being a metaphor instead of a literal wall

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I feel like it's a great precursor to get you into The Final Cut, which is a really underrated album.

MariusMS
Jan 26, 2006

Who's laughing now?
Clapping Larry
The Gunner's Dream is a perfect song and I'll vote for Bernie if you suggest otherwise

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The wall should have a human sized cat door in it

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUJzj4DXHYE

Kempo Yellow Belt
Jan 5, 2012
Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Brutalist or bust

Bring in North Korean architects. Trump gets awarded Nobel Peace Prize for "bring people together".

Also, bring in North Korean tunnel engineers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Tunnel_of_Aggression

quote:

The incomplete tunnel is 1,635 metres (1.0 mile) long, of 1.95 m (6 ft 5 in) maximum high and 2.1 m (6 ft 11 in) wide.[2] It runs through bedrock at a depth of about 73 m (240 ft) below ground.[2] It was apparently designed for a surprise attack on Seoul from North Korea, and could accommodate 30,000 men per hour along with light weaponry.[3] Upon discovery of the third tunnel, the United Nations Command accused North Korea of threatening the 1953 armistice agreement signed at the end of the Korean War.[4] Its description as a "tunnel of aggression" was given by the South, who considered it an act of aggression on the part of the North.

We must stop the rapists from mexico at every angle.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I got the DVD recently and can't decide whether to watch it in English or the original German. Usually i'm a bit of a subtitles snob but given that the whole drat thing is apparently voiceover and the English version is recorded by Gedeck herself I don't see the harm.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

AHH FUGH posted:

I feel like it's a great precursor to get you into The Final Cut, which is a really underrated album.

Agreed

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

Brutalist or bust

Hell yeah something like this:

:black101:

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
The Wall should have a giant Thomas "Painter of Light" Kincade mural drawn along it, to advertise downhome American charm and showcase some of the country's cultural achievements.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Ork of Fiction posted:

I really like Comfortably Numb, and the whole album works well, as a concept, but I just don't find myself listening to it as much as other albums. It would be a crowing achievement for any other band, but for Floyd, it gets lost in the greatness of their total output.

Animals > Dark Side of the Moon > The Wall

when on Shrooms

Dark Side of the Moon >

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Not a Step posted:

The Wall should have an American Gladiator style obstacle course built into it, where any immigrant who can successfully challenge Patriot Guardians like Laser or Nitro gets awarded a free green card. I will also accept American Ninja or Most Extreme Elimination Challenge style obstacles.

I like this idea. Anyone fit enough to challenge Mount Midoriama is fit enough to be an American.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
There should be not one, but two walls, and the space between should be patrolled by attack dogs and Jehovah's Witnesses.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

-Troika- posted:

There should be not one, but two walls, and the space between should be patrolled by attack dogs and Jehovah's Witnesses.

This is good, but make it one mile wide, and declare it a free for all shooting zone. A day permit costs 5k, every time you shoot someone you get 1k off. If you're smart, you might even make a profit! This encourages hard work, and exemplifies the virtues of a free market system.

Jimby Nougats
May 6, 2009

It should absolutely be a skeleton/bone wall of all the immigrants and Muslims who are "deported".

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I'm more interested in what the big beautiful door will look like.

It should be a big donald trump head and you walk through his mouth. Welcome to America, legal immigrants. You are more than welcome :patriot:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

AHH FUGH posted:

A good opinion. (I like the second half better than the first though)

Helsing posted:

The Wall should have a giant Thomas "Painter of Light" Kincade mural drawn along it, to advertise downhome American charm and showcase some of the country's cultural achievements.

Boy oh boy, if you want to keep people of good taste out...

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

mike12345 posted:

This is good, but make it one mile wide, and declare it a free for all shooting zone. A day permit costs 5k, every time you shoot someone you get 1k off. If you're smart, you might even make a profit! This encourages hard work, and exemplifies the virtues of a free market system.

Mexico basically does this at their southern border, though I don't think they do walls.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HEY!

DONALD!

LEAVE MARCO ALONE!

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
They should build like a 30ft wall, plain jane, like a mile out from the super wall, that way when people are trying to sneak in theyre like hell yeah we made it, then they see this gigantic wall in the distance like PSYCH!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
By the way, Trump's wall is a terrible idea that won't actually keep people out of the U.S., although it may keep undocumented migrants from leaving the U.S. We know this, because that's what's happened the last several times the U.S. tried to step up the militarization of the border patrol:

quote:

Although the intent of border enforcement was to discourage migrants from coming to the United States, in practice it backfired, instead discouraging them from returning home to Mexico. Having experienced the risks and having paid the costs of gaining entry, undocumented men increasingly hunkered down and stayed in the United States, rather than circulating back to face the gantlet once more. As a result, the rate of return migration began to fall after 1986 and accelerated with the launching of the border operations in 1993 and 1994.

Because net migration equals the difference between those entering and leaving the United States, the falling rate of return produced a huge increase in the net volume of undocumented migration. Through the 1990s and early 2000s, in other words, the United States spent billions of dollars, only to double the rate of undocumented population growth.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the wall should be a never-ending line of giant animatronic trump faces saying "yuuge" over and over

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Wall of animatronic trump faces: yuuuuge! yuuuuge! yuuuuuge! yuuuuuuge! yuuuuuge! yuuuge! yuuuuge!
Mexican terrorist shaking fist: drat you, president trump!
[the earth shakes and the sand churns as the animatronic trump faces rise into the sky, his shoulders now forming the lower portion of the wall]
Animatronic trump faces: The wall just got ten feet higher. The wall just got ten feet higher. The wall just got ten feet higher, gonna be yuuge

Feb 24, 2013

gum wall or bust

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Trump Tower, visible from the wall

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Majorian posted:

By the way, Trump's wall is a terrible idea that won't actually keep people out of the U.S., although it may keep undocumented migrants from leaving the U.S. We know this, because that's what's happened the last several times the U.S. tried to step up the militarization of the border patrol:

foreignpolicy.com link in 2016

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Maoist Pussy posted:

Let's discuss practical aspects of The Wall. How high should it be? What architectural style should we use? What materials and techniques? Who would be on the shortlist for chief architect? How many people will be employed in its construction? How many careers will be launched, and what other far reaching positive effects will we see from the works of the Wall Progress Administration?

I've been playing a lot of fallout 4 lately and have turned into a base building retard. The best walls start with a base that's the wood floor with the concrete under it. On top of that you can build the 2 sided floor and roof combo, then some half height fencing facing out. Between the floors if you build the half size platforms that are big enough to hold heavy machine gun turrets. On the roof, put either missed turrets or laser turrets, along with spotlights. I think the machine gun turrets provide the most bang for the buck, but I rather prefer watching the missles. The generators should be at ground level but fence them in just in case any Mexicans spawn on the wrong side, and for gods sake make sure you put a few inward facing turrets.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Immortan posted:

foreignpolicy.com link in 2016

Doug Massey is a pretty credible expert in this field, and his argument holds more water than yours, so...

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
All I know is that it will be beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Majorian posted:

We have ICE for a reason.

• Locked thread