Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Didn't have much to add this update, other than that I've actually never tried stealing anything. Didn't think it was worth it. But after some people spoke, I had a bit more to share on top of that.

First, I remember when I was really young and played the hell out of the shareware version, Silvar was easily my favourite town. It had the cheapest food (which made me happy), and had the most useful shops out of the non-plot-related towns.

I'm glad you brought up the generic shopkeepers and their responses. I thought some of them were pretty amusing (apparently one of them runs shops all throughout the continent, and whichever one you show up at just so happens to be the one he's working that day). But to be honest, Merry's the only one who's really unique enough to share his responses. Other than the fletcher can't remember anything other than his job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

So uh, if this wasn't a fan fiction run, what would have happened?

I would have killed the Spiney Worm for the XP, that's all.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I had been talking about the Dervish. I killed him so I could steal his armour.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

:facepalm:

I didn't make that connection. There was talk about the Worm earlier, and I thought you were just late to the reply. My apologies.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Vil posted:

I may or may not have occasionally stolen some well-guarded stuff from Fort Emergence with judicious use of character editor-added Quickfire and Fire Barrier.

If you're going to the trouble of using the editor for that, you might as well just edit the items in.

Also, berryjon, you have a "Slithzerizai" in the last update.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Vil posted:

I may or may not have occasionally stolen some well-guarded stuff from Fort Emergence with judicious use of character editor-added Quickfire and Fire Barrier.

Worth noting that MOST of the well-guarded stuff in Fort Emergence can actually be stolen with Web if you're very careful about positioning.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pierzak posted:

If you're going to the trouble of using the editor for that, you might as well just edit the items in.

I am principled in my cheating! :v: Also those rear end in a top hat guards who dared to come between me and my kleptomania had to go anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

berryjon posted:

:facepalm:

I didn't make that connection. There was talk about the Worm earlier, and I thought you were just late to the reply. My apologies.
Haha, same here. I thought "spiny worm" was just some derogatory name for the dervish. :v:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Fixed.

Haha, same here. I thought "spiny worm" was just some derogatory name for the dervish. :v:

Is that a SitCom "Haha"? Because this round of misunderstandings feels like it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
All of life is a sitcom, and the dead, the audience, can muster only canned laughter and skeletal grins, my grandad always said.

The same no doubt applies to LPs to some degree.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Don't feel bad, I thought the same thing: since he calls the Exiles "worms" in the actual game, calling him a "spiny worm" seems like a good fit for an Imperial who fought in the Exile war. After all, he would have basically became a "worm" himself, living and fighting in the caves for years, separated from the people of Exile only by his armor (the spine), which also serves to show the difference in culture and attitude.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I suppose sheep would be a little terrifying to a cave-dwelling people.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016

The Lone Badger posted:

In that case, your plan wouldn't work in Exile III. Dervishes get two attacks per round, and do an astounding 3-36 damage each. Even just one can totally kick a player's rear end if they're unprepared. Their only real weakness is that they don't have any of the fire or magic immunities that so many other late game enemies tend to have.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Finally caught up. Why do I always notice these excellent threads too late for character things?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 09 – Colchis and the Slime Pits

Before I begin, I want you all to know that this update consisted of 296 images before I started to trim them down in the face of writing the update. I ended with 189. This one will be big.

"Well, this is – or was – Colchis. Wonder what it was like?"

"Maybe there are survivors hidden in town, waiting for rescue!"

"Keep dreaming."

"I will! Thanks!"

"I see movement in town, it looks like the Slimes are present."

"Good eye."

"How do these things see anyways?"

"Perhaps we should ask that woman back in Krizsan, or see if the people who are doing studies in Fort Exile have a clue."

"Emergence, Matthias. Not Exile. Exile is where we came in, remember?"

"Please don't conflate a slip of the tongue with an implication for dementia."

"Slimes everywhere, but they're just reacting to our presence, not actively hunting."

"Not a big dock. I think Silvar is the primary port on this river."

"Whoever this was, died trying."

"Nothing on the bookshelf."

"I haven't seen this much destruction since Cotra."

"I know what you mean. I was in the first wave of people to try and restore the city after the Empire withdrew."

"I was the one who found where the attack was staged, and hit it in return."

"I hear we burned down the first town they built in Exile in retribution soon after. Seems petty to me, targetting civilians like that."

"I assure you, there were more soldiers than civilians in Harston, and I gave the civilians warning before I got that fire started."

:stare:

"The only reason I can think of that this is still here is because the Slimes thought they were rocks."

"It's a poor design choice when these things are so easy to disrupt with Fireball."

"Hey! I told you there were hidden rooms!"

“Except there's no way anyone could be alive in there!”

“Oh.”

This spirit seems to be struggling to remain in this place. It wavers and warps, and it so unstable you can't tell anything about its shape.

"Who are you?"

"Not important. Must help you."

“What are you doing here?”

The words are a whisper. It is clearly struggling to form them. "Help you."

“Very well. How can you help us?”

Its speech trickles out, one pained word after another. "Your foes are strong, and you are the only force up here to battle them. I wish to give you aid, but can do little. I made this room to wait for you. I have found gifts."

“What are these gifts?”

It wavers. "Two things are hidden in this ruin, one in the pillar, one in the anvil. They can make one of you an avatar against the slimes. Now I must depart, before I am discovered."

Discovered? By who?”

It tries to say something else, but fades away. You are left alone in the room.

“It said 'up here', like it was understanding of Exile.”

“What does it mean, 'as an Avatar'? I know of that spell, but if we need that power, we are sorely outclassed.”

“...”

“It's not like it matters.”

“I remember seeing a pillar in the room with the book case.”

“I wonder how they knew about Exile, if he died before he came up?”

“I see the anvil – or one of them anyways.”

“Clearing out the slimes.”

“You young kids, never giving a chance for your Elders to shine. But it's clear now. Let's have a closer look.”

“I have no idea what this does.”

“We can work on figuring that out later. For now though, someone should put it on.”

“What? Put on random equipment, just like that?”

“I think that's the worst of the Slimes in town taken care of. Let's go get that pillar.”

“Feels tingly.”

“Are you going to touch everything we find?”

“Yes?”

“Well, I've figured them out.”

“The helm prevents the person from falling asleep, while the necklace exudes a chemical counter-agent to deal with the Slime's acid.”

“And knowing that the slime creation pits are covered in fumes that cause drowsiness, it seems like a good option.”

“Except for the part where you or I can toss a fireball at it from a safe distance.”

“Art gets them!”

“What? Wait. Why?”

“You're the leader!”

“That's a stupid explanation, and you know it.”

“Even the road has been eaten away. It'll take weeks, or months for this to get restored.”

“According to the map, this valley should lead to the Slime Pit.”

“Of course there would be guards.”

“Still just as vulnerable to Fire.”

“Assuming they cooperate in lining up.”

:smuggo:

“Go west, here.”

“Ugh! So many Mauve Slimes. At least their magical powers aren't great. Sass is as good as them.”

“Thanks!”

“We're here. Rest up, then we make our move.”

“Let there be light!” :catholic:

“This is not good for my constitution.”

“Behind!”

“Ahead!”

“Burn them all!”

“With pleasure!” :flame:

“Seriously. Is there something about casting spells that gives people a god-complex?”

“I don't have one!”

“Nether do I!”

“I'm too old to have one. Can I have a youth complex instead?”

:sigh:

“Well, we're clear.”

“Large, open area. Lots of smaller side passages. If it weren't for the ichor, this would be just like home!

“There is not enough Fire in the world to purge this place.”

“You haven't seen quickfire in action.”

“I've heard of it, and being aware of what it does it part of the training for all members of Unspecified Services.”

“Really? Huh, must have happened after I retired then.”

“We'll come back to this later.”

“But the source has to be further underground!”

“We also need to reconnoitre the rest of this section of caves first.”

“Like, you wouldn't want these slimes to sneak up behind us, would you?”

“No...”

“You can't be serious.”

“What? It's food!”

“Rations that were inside a slime!”

“I have to agree with her. If it couldn't eat it, how can we?”

“Ugh... dead bodies...”

“Clear it out.”

:barf: “Sorry, this place is getting to me.”

Believe it or not, Matthias is going to have his disease trigger so many times in this dungeon that it stopped being funny. I spent more SP on him than I did on killing the enemies.

“Careful with the bodies. We don't know what sort of condition they're in.”

This notice means that everyone in the party just got Diseased. I wasn't about to tolerate that, so I reloaded my previous save. It's always the same bodies that do this, so I'll mark them down when I get around to the First Great Map Update.

“Ugh! What's that?”

“A Slime ZOMBIE?”

“What horror is this? How? Why?”

“It must have come from down there.”

“We can come back later.”

“Oh no!”

:sigh: Reload.

“I feel like we just avoided a very bad result there.”

“We can slip through these rocks.”

My mind is blown – an actual, honest to Vogal three tile Secret Passage! An Exile First!

“Explains the webbing we pushed through – it was to keep the Slimes away.”

“They have some nice stuff.”

“I'll take the powder and potion. The former will keep my sickness at bay for a while.”

“And I'll ditch the sword. Glad to see someone marked it as cursed.”

“No way through this, and I don't have the skill to take it down.”

“We'll come back later then.”

“!!!”

“NO!”

“Nothing back here anyway.”

“Oh! We should Scry that zombie thing!”

2 x 2d5 attacks can be dangerous, but on a foe so fragile at this point, it's not that bad.

“They blow up nice!”

“Do we really want to go where the mindless Slimes don't?”

“Yes.”

Oh frak me. Causes Disease? That's just mean!

“That thing is HUGE!”

And it spits acid. Please note that this Scrying happened after I had beaten down on it for a couple turns, including a few Fireballs. Art is standing in front of it, drawing Aggro, and depending on the Basic Necklace to keep the Acid away, even as it's eating at Matthias.

:smuggo:

“That's it? I suppose the Slug was keeping the Slimes away, being able to dissolve them and all that.”

“Yes, but that took a lot out of us. We should get out of here and rest up.”

“Agreed.”

Damned Disease not triggering a pause in the rest. Thankfully it only cursed him, then gave him a level of Dumbfounding which won't affect his spellcasting.

“What's this?”

“I think these runes keep the Slimes away.”

“Curious, those two upper buttons roughly correspond to the two entrances to the lower caverns to the north east we found. I wonder if there is some correlation?”

“Well, I just pressed the one in the upper-right, so we can go check!”

The joys of having certain solutions memorized, years after playing this game last.

“So, what happens if we're wrong about the panel?”

“We keep looking around the top floor.”

“Fireballs!”

:flame:

“Well done.”

“This is restorative.”

“We should remember this is here.”

“Hey! Wanna bet that button I pressed opened the gate?”

“I actually wouldn't be surprised.”

“Allow me.”

“No, you got to destroy the one Jordan made. I got this one.”

“There were five buttons. Five pits we need to destroy?”

“Sounds about right. You two up for burning things?”

“Well, that may happen sooner than you think – there's a back way out of here.”

“And blocked off.”

“Pressing Second Button!”

“I think he's right.”

“Oh joy. Gauntlets.”

“Well, I stand here, and the Slimes come closer, letting those two have their own fun.”

“Hold on!”

If you're really needing help, there's this Empire Archer who can wipe the floor with the Slimes in the room – assuming he wanders over to them.

They can also take everything we can dish out at this point – I don't have enough magic to bring one down.

“Um.. He's not hostile to us. Let's just keep going forward.”

Not pictured: Multiple Slimes sliced, diced and blown up.

“My turn.”

“So, I get the next one then?”

“I think this is getting a little easier as well – less Slimes every time we take out one of these pits.”

“But there's still those sounds. And three more buttons, and whatever is behind that barrier back there.”

“We'll just blow them all up!”

“I like the way you think.”

“I wonder what happens when I hold the button?”

“I am more concerned that we don't know where the other three access points are. We'll need to explore some more.”

“It would have to be this way, won't it?”

“Sure, but left, right, or straight ahead?”

“I sense power from the left. We should go that way.”

“See?”

It's just flavor – these four Slimes aren't really regaining strength, they're locked in place by no-pass tiles.

:barf: “I'm sorry, I seem to have run out the Cleansing Powder – this place is very bad for my health.”

:catholic:

“Curious, is this where the Slimes first came from?”

“Here, let me get that.”

“Curious. Everyone, look around.”

“Plenty of material here, including spare arcane robes – or at least, they look like it. Any magic in them is long gone.”

“A horrible caricature of Nephil society, and Adventuring 101.”

“So, what's in this back room then? More Adventurers?”

“AAAA!”

Let's see what he does...

HE DRAINS EXPERIENCE! KILL! KILL!

“Alright, that could have been worse.”

“A little over-reacting to a single Wight?”

“In close quarters? Sure. I worry about all undead.”

“This book is well preserved.”

“But I can't make heads or tails of this.”

Come back when the party has sufficient Mage Lore.

“We'll come back to that later.”

:ohdear:

“Ugh... I'll kill it.”

“The Slimes were attempting to merge with the living creatures? Were not the dead enough?!?”

“...”

“We find the source of this infestation, and we slaughter it!”

“Agreed. I wouldn't wish that fate even on my enemies.”

“Found the way down.”

“I've seen this before.”

“The part where the dead rise up behind us to trap us in a confined space and try to overwhelm us?”

“Isn't that a standard training module?”

And thus, a bunch of Slime Zombies got beaten down.

“I think it's your turn, Matthias?”

“And another one down.”

“And another blocked passage.”

:barf:
:catholic:

“We are getting out of here as soon as possible.”

“The fourth location should be around here...”

“OW!”

“Or not.”

“A bridge is a good sign.”

“Found it!”

“And today's gimmick is a boat ride.”

“As long as we keep the lights out, we can probably sneak past the worst of them.”

:supaburn: :supaburn:

So, this particular underground lake is dotted with islands, each of which has a selection of Slimes on it.

However, the exit from the lake is locked behind an island with Ochre Slimes, whose Acid Touch will wreck you in very short order. Thus, the best way to clear this gauntlet is to keep your lights on and island hop, using Fireball or archery to clear out the next island.

Like so.

Oh, and do be careful, Mauve Slimes can stack damage very fast when you have limited space to move.

“My magic is more powerful!”

“That's nice, but I have the energy to deal with the next one.”

“One last pit.”

“Good, we're almost out of it.”

“This doesn't scream trap at all.”

“No, just constant waves of Mauve Slimes until we reach the far end.”

“Yeah, I see that.”

“Well, might as well use that Energy Potion now.”

“That never gets old.” :)

“Huh?”

“...”

“Come on, check the walls for passages. Something has to be this way.”

“Found it.”

“No more guards – this one is mine.”

“Five for five, and one last one behind those barriers.”

“Which would be through here...”

“What is that thing?!?!”

Meet our first proper boss fight – the Alien Slime! It's a whole stack off HP, is immune to Poison (of course), and can take a beating like nothing else we've seen so far. But, there's no real gimmick to the fight. It summons Slimes at Random, and is just a pile of HP which Art, Sass and Bronwyn can beat down after time.

“DIE!”

“That thing was not natural. At all. How did it come to be?”

“I... I don't know. Everyone, look around, see if you can find anything about it. Where it came from... something!”

“Relax, there's this side passage here. Ole' Blubbler there couldn't squeeze in, it seems.”

“What do we have here?”

“Someone with an ego, that's who.”

“Make a copy – carefully, then we'll get out of there.”

“I don't hear any more slimes, and the stuff on the walls is starting to flake.”

True to form, with the Alien Beast dead, Slimes will only very rarely spawn now on the over world, and any Slimes attacking the cities stop. I intend – at some point – to demonstrate what happens when you are slow in killing the Slimes, as well as dealing with other plagues. It's Day 9, and the first changes to the towns start on Day 10/11.

“Alright, rest up, and then we head back to Krizsan and the Fort. Try to figure out who or what is behind this.”

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
One of the things I really like about this game is that the various plagues mostly feel legitimately threatening. Even the slimes, which are Cliche Introductory Monster #1, are causing major trouble, and are a believable threat both narratively and mechanistically.

That Helm of Alertness is about as good as helmets get, by the way -- 4+1 defense, no encumbrance, and a useful special ability. There are other top-tier helms, but when I last played I ended up using that helm for most of the game on my solo "party". The Basic Necklace is a mainstay as well, what with how unrelentingly nasty acid can be.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

The Helm of Alertness is both (1) awesome and (2) oddly useless against the slimes. Unless you're running into the sleep clouds to cast your Fireball (why??????), Slimes can't actually put you to sleep.

But as a general thing, the helm is legitimately end-game caliber equipment - great defense and no encumbrance. And while Sleep resistance rarely comes into play, when it does matter, it tends to be really useful.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of the things I really like about this game is that the various plagues mostly feel legitimately threatening. Even the slimes, which are Cliche Introductory Monster #1, are causing major trouble, and are a believable threat both narratively and mechanistically
It helps that the time limit for the slimes to have some effect (even a minor one) is actually pretty tight. berryjon barely made it, despite ignoring most of Upper Exile and bee-lining his way through the province.

Also, the use of pre-destroyed towns like Colchis works well to show that they really have impacted things.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
I was always annoyed by the force barrier in the slime pit. I don't like not being able to explore something fully and having to backtrack. I think there may have been a secret passage in there with a piercing crystal, though (or maybe I just cheated one in?)? Those things were rare as hell and I always saved/reloaded after using them to find out what's behind a barrier and whether it's worth my time.

Never knew the minimum days to prevent damages. I've repeated the "free" areas probably dozens of times as a kid, so I might've taken down the slimes by day 10 before, though it's not super-likely since I tended to clear ALL available upper exile first and have a super party to clear out the first few plagues. Anything actually missing for the first set of changes on day 10? I know the first time I played that Krizsan legitimately lost a bunch of buildings and NPCs, and I think one of the cities near Colchis got destroyed too. Are day 10 changes significant like that, or is it just a few holes in the city walls?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Random_Username posted:

Never knew the minimum days to prevent damages. I've repeated the "free" areas probably dozens of times as a kid, so I might've taken down the slimes by day 10 before, though it's not super-likely since I tended to clear ALL available upper exile first and have a super party to clear out the first few plagues. Anything actually missing for the first set of changes on day 10? I know the first time I played that Krizsan legitimately lost a bunch of buildings and NPCs, and I think one of the cities near Colchis got destroyed too. Are day 10 changes significant like that, or is it just a few holes in the city walls?

Damage to the cities is scaled - the first damage to Krizsan itself is triggered on Day 10/1, and proceed through to about day 30 or 40. if the Alien Slime hasn't been killed by then. I intend to go full Delorean and show off all the various stages of destruction around Valorim as best I can nearer the end of the LP.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The Basic Necklace is a mainstay as well, what with how unrelentingly nasty acid can be.

I do also like the chemistry pun on that one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Random_Username posted:

I was always annoyed by the force barrier in the slime pit. I don't like not being able to explore something fully and having to backtrack. I think there may have been a secret passage in there with a piercing crystal, though (or maybe I just cheated one in?)? Those things were rare as hell and I always saved/reloaded after using them to find out what's behind a barrier and whether it's worth my time.

Piercing Crystals can be bought cheaply in this game if you know where to look. I presume that berryjon will show off that particular section of the game when it becomes relevant. But the whole "try something, if it fails, reload save" thing is sadly not too uncommon in these games -- piercing crystals, lockpicks, and alchemy all can fail and use up consumables in the process. And there's also Capture Soul -- you can "capture" friendly NPCs like that Empire Archer, say, and summon them later, but the spell is so expensive energy-wise that when you fail you'll probably want to save/reload (faster than leaving town, resting, and coming back).

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

One of the things I really like about this game is that the various plagues mostly feel legitimately threatening. Even the slimes, which are Cliche Introductory Monster #1, are causing major trouble, and are a believable threat both narratively and mechanistically.

Yes, I really like how Jeff has clearly sat down and thought about what being at war with an infinitely-spawning array of slimes would be like. It doesn't just mean a whole load of soldiers are dying: it's affecting food, it's affecting sea travel, it's causing law and order to break down, and it's making people pack up and flee for safety. And this is just the first plague...

berryjon
May 30, 2011

The Slimes aren't tough by any stretch of the imagination. It's the 'infinitely spawning' part that's causing troubles. You're not facing one or two at a time, but over a dozen - and they just keep coming. You have to sleep. Your equipment wears out, you have to eat...

The Slimes don't.

And they're the least threatening.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The fact that the slimes are masters at infiltration is also notable. You have a wall? They'll ooze through the cracks. No cracks? They'll erode it until there are some. Just look at Colchis -- those ruins didn't come from human action. Nowhere on land is safe -- and presumably, once they'd done enough damage locally, they'd start creating more slime pits to spread even further...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to wonder if, back in the day, people tried Last Minute runs, faffing about and skirting as close to armageddon as they could.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

I have to wonder if, back in the day, people tried Last Minute runs, faffing about and skirting as close to armageddon as they could.

The clock stops on day 500, and there will still be enough surviving NPCs and resources to complete the game, even if you never left Fort Emergence until that day. Well, except for one part which does require a response, but I'll cover that when it happens.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Welp, that's the first plague taken care of. Played through this dungeon plenty of times. That rowing section is a real pain, though - even with the lights off.

Interesting to note is that the Giant Slug enemy starts off with 80 health. Particularly interesting is the fact that, technically, the Giant Slug is superior/tougher than the Alien Slime in almost every way. The Giant Slug has more armor, more combat skill, is faster, does 2.5x more damage per hit, and has its Acid Spit attack, all adding up to a world of pain for a party who gets in its way. It's also worth more experience because it has a higher level. The only ways in which the Alien Slime is superior are:
1) Has almost twice as much health, making it a damage sponge
2) Frequently summons assistance, which makes it annoying (especially if it spawns Mauves)
3) Has two attacks per round.

Other than that, the Giant Slug is a stronger enemy.

Also, although I never get much use out of the Basic Necklace outside of I believe a handful of enemies (including said Giant Slug), the Helm of Alertness is amazing. Sleep isn't a common status condition, but it is absolutely crippling when you come across it. That helm helps a LOT, and it has no encumbrance. Perfect for mages!

Finally,

MagusofStars posted:

The Helm of Alertness is both (1) awesome and (2) oddly useless against the slimes. Unless you're running into the sleep clouds to cast your Fireball (why??????), Slimes can't actually put you to sleep.

Not entirely true. Emerald slimes can put you to sleep. But they have to hit you to do so, and chances are they can't hit anyone but your mages by this point in the game.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I really like that the game actually has visible consequences over a long period of time that give you a kind of warning that you should hurry up: it's the kind of "show don't tell" that games like Mass Effect 3 seriously lacked for their dooms-day scenarios, and thus made their dooms-day dull.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

Nap Ghost
Sleep Cloud, by the way, absolutely /wrecks/ the Alien Slime: it can't act and takes far more melee damage. That spell was my go-to for pretty much any damage-sponge enemy without magic resistance.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013

Piercing Crystals can be bought cheaply in this game if you know where to look. I presume that berryjon will show off that particular section of the game when it becomes relevant. But the whole "try something, if it fails, reload save" thing is sadly not too uncommon in these games -- piercing crystals, lockpicks, and alchemy all can fail and use up consumables in the process. And there's also Capture Soul -- you can "capture" friendly NPCs like that Empire Archer, say, and summon them later, but the spell is so expensive energy-wise that when you fail you'll probably want to save/reload (faster than leaving town, resting, and coming back).

There's a wizard in Fort Emergnce with a low, but not 0 chance to have capture soul work. Just one of many game-breakers you could have within the first week. (Wizards have major summoning, so you can go from a 1 man party to a 20 man army that's been hasted)

Don't ask how many times I reloaded to learn that.

Gullwhacker
Aug 11, 2007
So the evidence points to a mage with an ego.

That rules out almost no mages...

Mr VacBob
Aug 27, 2003
Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea

Gullwhacker posted:

So the evidence points to a mage with an ego.

That rules out almost no mages...

It could also mean the perpetrator can forge a mage's signature.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Nap Ghost
Not only that, but they're signing their work in a place that will only be discovered if someone breaks into their headquarters, murders their minions, and demonstrates their failure. That's not the point at which I would want someone to realise I was behind the plagues.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Whybird posted:

Not only that, but they're signing their work in a place that will only be discovered if someone breaks into their headquarters, murders their minions, and demonstrates their failure. That's not the point at which I would want someone to realise I was behind the plagues.
But it's behind a fake wall! That's so secretive! Except, um, anybody who gets to the Alien Slime has already found several fake walls to get there, so... :shrug:

Though, to be fair, it is actually entirely possible to miss this piece of information. Anamixander warned us to keep our eyes open for any evidence and the text box after killing the slime does say that you should figure out who the creator is...but there isn't a specific indication that "hey dudes, you should search the room". IIRC, the Mayor of Krizsan only cares that the slimes are stopped, so it doesn't actually prevent you from completing the quest or make the game unwinnable or anything like that. It does delay you from entering one optional (but interesting and rewarding!) area in Upper Exile until much later in the game though.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Sorry for the delay in the next update everyone.

I got word back that one of my stories got shortlisted for publication in a Star Trek magazine next month, so I was busy this past week getting that in order.

I'll record the next update tonight, then try to have it to you all by tuesday or wednesday.

LuffyVeggies
Mar 11, 2016
Completely understandable, bj. Congrats on (possibly) getting published, by the way!

Also, just a note - I was rereading through the Exile II LP, and I found much to my disappointment that the full, uncut version of Karmas' speech to the rest of the party during update 031 (The Castle, and Magi Clearance) wasn't included on lparchive. It does still exist in the original thread, but said thread won't stick around forever. It's a little disappointing just because it was very interesting character interaction and insight. Is there any possibility of somehow archiving that part?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

LuffyVeggies posted:

Completely understandable, bj. Congrats on (possibly) getting published, by the way!

Also, just a note - I was rereading through the Exile II LP, and I found much to my disappointment that the full, uncut version of Karmas' speech to the rest of the party during update 031 (The Castle, and Magi Clearance) wasn't included on lparchive. It does still exist in the original thread, but said thread won't stick around forever. It's a little disappointing just because it was very interesting character interaction and insight. Is there any possibility of somehow archiving that part?

I didn't know this either. That should absolutely be preserved.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 10 – Reports and the Tower of Magi

"I hope that was it. The death of that alien creature seemed to have slain a great many of its progeny."

"It's stupid! Who creates something like that, then leaves such an easy way to take them all out?"

"Safety feature?"

"One that just anyone with sufficient force could apply?"

"I agree. Something with a little bit more effort would have been better."

"How long before people move back in?"

"Weeks? Months? Who knows."

"First, word has to spread that the Slimes are destroyed. And then that word has to be believed."

"It depends on if Mayor Arbunkle sends couriers or can use magic to send messages."

:barf:

"You alright?"

"I shall. Though it seems that not all Slimes are destroyed."

Slimes can still be overworld encounters, just not as often now.

"Before we talk to the mayor, I want to stop in with Cindy, and see what she has to say about the Slime's demise."

The Slimes that she was keeping contained are gone. Nice touch!

"Hello Cindy, nice to see all the Slimes dead, isn't it?"

She looks up at you, annoyed by the persistent questioning. "They might return. They might not return. We must prepare for now. Find ways to fight them, or at least keep them out." She resumes her thinking.

"Well, she does have a point. We know that other people can re-create the slime pits, so it's possible someone has the information out there."

"Uh, so not joyful!"

"I take it from the look on your faces that you have good news?"

"Boy-o-boy! It was amazing! You mentioned a reward?"

You tell Arbuckle of the slaying of the Alien Slime. "Excellent!" He claps his hands, and a huge stack of gold is brought to you. "I know not your opinion of the Empire, but know this - by slaying the beast, you have saved many innocent lives. Also, I will let news of your brave deeds spread. If I have my way, you will be greeted with open arms everywhere in Valorim."

He won't. There's still a few more hoops we have to jump through to get into every town peacefully. We also get 1500 gold for our efforts.

"What do you plan to do now, I must ask?"

"We need to report back to our superiors. We uncovered some evidence pointing at a potential source of the problem." She gestures for Delilah to reproduce the sigil found in the Alien Cave. "Do you recognize this?"

He looks it over. "No. No, I do not. May I have this, to check with our records? If the source of this problem is a rogue mage here in Valorim, and not from... your place, then we can respond faster."

"You can say Exile, you know."

"Not so long as I wish to keep my position, thank you. But you should go. With this out of the way, I can focus on returning people to their farms and homes, as well as rebuilding what was damaged. Colchis... I don't know if it will ever recover."

"Then we shall take our leave then."

"I wonder what Anaximander will say to all this?"

"Awesome job! You all deserve pay raises!"

"Oh, wouldn't that be the day."

"You sound like you've never had one on your life."

"You could say I worked commission for most of my life."

"Hey, Anaximander!"

"Does this mean we get a raise?"

"Ha! I wish. Price Karmas' efforts to rebuild infrastructure after the war is still costing a lot. Which means that you're more self-supportive than regular units."

"Well, we got 1500 units of joy from the Mayor of Krizsan, so that's not a problem."

"We shall head for Berra then, and get his input."

"Hello, Berra. We have found some evidence on the surface regarding the source of these monsters."

You describe to Berra the rune you found in the Alien Slime's lair. He looks highly disturbed. "I know that. That's the rune of Erika the Archmage. Perhaps you should go speak to Anaximander ... this is dire news."

"..."

"Back to the Boss Man!"

"Art, I know you know her as something she could possibly call a friend. Can I trust you to be diplomatic?"

"Yeah. You can."

"You know Erika the Mad? Personally?"

"I heard she's kept to herself. Why did she move up here, to Upper Exile?"

"I suspect we will ask her directly."

"Yeah, once I figure out how to break the news. Or break her if she has finally gone off the deep end."

I take this moment to spend money on training, and inventory upkeep. I started with Art, as she hasn't been trained at all. The following are Before/After pictures:

These two didn't get any training, because I ran out of money.

It's been mentioned in the thread a few times, but some generic items have in their weight or description some indication that they aren't 'typical' for their kind. Like this rock, which Sass has been carrying around:

See the description? That's your clue. And here is what it is, after I ID it:

Now to find some place to offload all this stuff, because I forgot to back in Krizsan.
:sigh:

“Hey, this cavern looks suspicious?”

“Really? Why should we investigate? We're headed for the Tower of the Magi!”

“Because as members of Unspecified Services, we are to investigate unusual or odd activities.”

“He's right. Besides, I don't think it'll be that long of a side trip.”

“See! Hidden passage! I was totally right!”

“There's nothing here!”

“Only lots of rats.”

“How did the Rats get so big here?!?!”

“And there's more.”

:black101:

“Next time Sass wants to explore a side passage, I say we skip it!”

“Hello again. It's been a while.”

“We were told we had permission to go to the Tower for training.”

She checks her journal. "It says here you're authorized to go down below and receive magical instruction. Go ahead and use the portal when you want, but please, don't overuse your privilege."

And with that, we now have free access to the Tower of Magi!

“To think, it was less than two weeks ago that we passed through these halls.”

“To think, you used to need permission to come back into this chamber.”

“What happens if you step off the line?”

“Nothing.”

“Such an amazing edifice! I heard that you used to be able to take this portal anywhere in Exile, as long as you knew the right codes.”

“Kav Ait Bon. Eas Ter Egg. Yeah, I know.”

“Hello there sir!”

There is a businesslike official standing at the entrance to the portal, notepad in hand. As people filter by walking to and from the portal, he checks them off.

“I'm sorry, I don't remember you last time we came through. What's your name?”

"I'm Vidrian. I'm very busy. I've received information on you."

“I hope that information about is is the good kind!”

"You've been sent here for training. I can tell you where the instructors are."

“The spells you are to receive will be taught to you by 'X' or Solberg, of the Triad. I'm not aware of their locations, but poke around. I'm sure they'll turn up. Also, Art?"

“Yes?”

“Archmage Peregrine IV has requested your presence forthwith. He is in his quarters to the south.”

“Thank you.”

“Now, everyone stay together. The mages here in the Tower don't like random people just wandering around.”

“But I wanna learn to cast Fireball!”

“I don't.”

You meet a small woman with dark skin and long black hair. She wears the robes of a member of the Triad, and has many tiny runes tattoed on her forearms and the backs of her hands. She radiates confidence and power. She bows slightly at the waist. "I am Mahdavi, of the Triad.”

“Hello again. These are the people I'm supposed to be leading on missions. Why don't you talk to them like they're new?”

“For all you have done? It shall be my pleasure.”

This is the third time I've been to the Tower and transcribed the same basic information for this series of LPs. I'll be glad when it's done.

"I am a member of the Triad of the Tower of Magi," she says modestly. "It is a post of no small responsibility."

“What's the Triad?”

"The Triad is traditionally compose of the three most skilled mages in Exile. We reside in the Tower and coordinate the magical efforts here. The Triad now consists of me, Solberg, and another. This usually works well. Sometimes, however, there are irregularities."

“It's a very nice tower! Biggest I've ever seen!”

“Thank you! This is the Tower of learning, the center of magical studies and knowledge in Exile. Unfortunately, because of the portal, we have also become something of a waystation."

“I was wondering about the portal being here...”

"The portal here was built several years ago. It was only two years ago that we were able to boost its power to send someone near the surface. Our long desired route to the Surface was attained. Unfortunately, it has meant that everybody sent up has to pass here." She shrugs. "Tedious, but necessary."

“And Peregrine's Thesis on Portal stability has noted that attempting to move one end of a portal like this requires disproportionate amounts of power.”

“Ah yes, Peregrine. He is something else entirely, and if he can lose some of his ego, he would make a fine candidate for the Triad some day.”

:lol:

“You mentioned Solberg as your equal. What is he like?”

"A good friend, and one who has suffered much for Exile. He usually studies in his quarters to the south."

“And there was another?”

"He calls himself 'X'. I don't understand him. Nobody does. He's skulking around somewhere."

“I know the type. But you mentioned some irregularities? We at Unspecified Services deal with those all the time!”

She looks uncomfortable. "Linda the Archmage was in the Triad once. She performed a rather unfortunate experiment with demonkind, and we had to banish her from the Tower. Only lately have we allowed her to return, as we need her considerable skill. She seems to have learned her lesson."

“LINDAAAAAAAA!!!!!!” :ssj:

“She is in containment! And I assure you, no one was happy with her return! But we had to, in order to monitor her properly.”

:ssj: “Where is she? I haven't punched her in years!”

“In Containment! Talk with Peregrine if you must, but she is secured!”

“Fine.”

“A sign more meant for people coming in than leaving.”

“Solberg and Peregrine are to the south. Let's find them!”

“You like this Peregrine fellow, don't you?”

“He's a genius!”

“He's an insufferable genius. There's a difference.”

“I'm at the end of the hall! The door is unlocked.”

“Hey.”

“Thank you for coming. The rest of you, Solberg is two doors down – you passed by it first on the right had side. Go there, and talk to him to get your rewards for your service.”

“But I wanted to talk to you about your thesis!”

“Perhaps later.”

“It's alright. I'll catch up with you guys.”

”Sorry, I don't have a seat for you,” Peregrine apologized to his guest. “I presume from the flush in your cheeks that you've heard about... that problem.”

“Linda.” Art said the name with enough hatred to melt stone.

“Indeed,” Peregrine checked his desk and found a sheet of paper that he handed over to his old comrade. Art took it and started to read it over, though the Magus also spoke of its contents. “The old hag still had supporters in the wings, people who weren't here when she summoned Adze-Haakai, and when we killed him. She jumped through the right loops to get reinstated as a researcher here – though she holds no actual authority. And everything she does needs to be approved of by one of the Triad.”

“Still hate her.”

“As do I, though it is hard to feel hatred for one so... petty in their work.” Peregrine shook his head. “Don't worry. I'm also keeping an eye on things, just in case.”

“Good. With you here, I can trust things.” Art put down the paper and leaned against the wall. “So, Solberg finally got out of his tower?”

The mage nodded. “Yes. Took another year to convince him that he wouldn't be assassinated. In the end, it took Karmas with Demonslayer to lead the escort. I think you know some of the other people who helped? Some irrelevant man by the name of... Chester? Yes! Chester! Who names their male child after a piece of anatomy? That's stupid!”

“I couldn't tell you,” Art admitted. “I lost track of him and Marianna after the war.”

“You were quite quick to retire to Olgai Vahnatai lands, that's for sure.”

“Eh, acting as a cultural assistant had its advantages.”

“I heard you became a very good fisherwoman,” Peregrine grinned.

“That I was.” Art sighed, wishing this wasn't going to happen. “There's a problem.”

“What?”

“It's Erika. When we killed the Alien Slime that was acting as a 'queen' to the Slimes in Krizsan Province on the surface, we found her sigil in an adjacent room.”

“Erika? I know she placed an annex for her tower in Upper Exile... But that doesn't seem like her style. Slimes?”

“Self-propagating, magic casting, acid spewing slimes.”

“No, I don't think so.” Peregrine was quick to defend the distant archmage. “You haven't talked to her yet, have you?”

Art shook her head. “I was planning on going back up to Upper Exile, go north through the Vahnatai outpost there, then to her tower.”

“A sound plan,” Peregrine approved. “Listen, Karmas is planning on a tour of Upper Exile soon. He has some political announcement he wants to make, and figures that would be the best place to start it. I don't know the details, but when he comes through here, you want me to tell him you want to talk?”

Art nodded. “That would probably be a good idea. Thanks for your time,” she smiled. “I'll see you around. And if Linda tries anything, consider giving me a chance to get my kicks in before you put her down for good.”

Peregrine laughed. “I shall. In the meanwhile, you should catch up with your people. Lots of spell casters this time, I see.”

Shrugging, Art stepped to the door. “Don't worry about them. They'll make it through, somehow.”

“Hey, how's things?”

“Art, my dear! These nice people said that they were with you.”

“They are. I was just talking to Peregrine. They weren't a problem, where they?”

“This is so awesome! So many famous people to meet!”

“No, not really. Now, where were we?”

You meet an aging mage in flowing, violet robes. Although he is only middle age, he looks worn well beyond his years. He gives you a weary bow. "I am Solberg, of the Triad."

“You are! That makes two of you I've met today! This is amazing!”

“I wish I had your energy.” He gives a weary, sad smile. "I serve Exile in my capacity as member of the Triad. Alas, I have endured many ordeals in this position."

“You finally got out of that tower of yours. I would think that's cause enough for celebration.”

“You are correct there.”

“So you're on the Triad! Does that mean you're, like the most powerful mage here?”

“Sadly, no. It's more of an administrative position. The Triad of Magi oversees all magical activity in Exile, makes sure dangerous knowledge doesn't become widespread, and watches for any potentially deadly experimentation. Such a position is not without risks. In addition, I am supposed to give magical rewards to those who merit them."

“I suppose we should get those rewards out of the way before we continue this conversation.”

Solberg nods. "Your struggle against the Alien Slime show you'll nee more powerful magic to complete your surface tasks." He teaches you the spells Ice Bolt and Venom Arrows.

Both are 4th Circle Spells, which Matthias and Niarl can't cast yet. I just need money to train them both to that point, and they're golden!

“But what sort of risks could there be here? This is like, the safest place in Exile!”

"We need to keep a close eye on experiments, to make sure nothing deadly gets loose. In particular, I watch my old adversary, Linda."

:ssj:

“Yes, we know. For the rest of you who don't, she has a dangerous predilection for summoning nether creatures. This tendency was what first drove me into hiding for many years. Now that she is back in the Tower, I am very nervous indeed."

“On notes of less impending doom, what sort of dangerous spells do you keep under wraps?”

"We try to control who can cast Kill spells, and the like. If unscrupulous persons obtained certain spells, we could all be in great danger."

“Like?”

“I tell you only because of the company you keep. Spells like Dispel Barrier, Shockwave and Quickfire are all considered of strategic importance to the Tower.”

“Hey! Blame Kai-Lyss for that, not me!”

“Did I say anything?”

“You did, Art. You said a whole lot there.”

“Mages.”

“Priest.”

“Well, that's it for me. Have a good day to you all, but I have paperwork to do.”

“Does this mean I can talk to Peregrine now?”

“NO!”

“NOOO!! but I want to discuss 5 dimensional hypertransit arrays!”

“And the use of ore-modified leylines to anchor teleporter pylons!”

“PLLLLEAAAASSEEE!”

These monuments are in the upper-left corner of the Tower. I don't remember any Silverio from Exile 2.

“At least they're together now.”

For some reason this one gets to me. If only because Patrick was pretty much the only non-crazy, non-rear end in a top hat mage in the previous two games.

“I don't think so.”

“I agree. There's too much to do up above for us to go back to Exile.”

“I just hope we don't come to regret those words.”

At least this time the whole “NPC Won't Talk To You” deal is justified, what with the apprentices at the Tower being silenced for a year.

“The odd thing is, I don't think any of us came here for our magical education. I was trained on the Surface, then Exiled. Niarl is Nephil, and thus didn't come here, and Sass is Sass.”

“I am!”

You meet a tidy young mage in tidy robes. Her haid is neatly combed and a small wand hangs at her belt.

“Oh, hello there. Pardon the intrusion. I see by your robes you're not an apprentice. My name is Matthias.”

"Kyanan. I am a teacher at the magic school."

“A teacher! How nice.”

"Some days. I instruct the students in the school in the art of casting projectile spells."

Projectile... Don't tell me..."

“Yes. You don't know fear until you've been near someone casting his first Fireball."

“I can't wait!”

“The rest of us can.”

“Hah! They finally got around to giving this place a name. Not that it needed one.”

“Come on then, time to swing by the shops. See who's in this year.”

The man sitting behind the counter is busily chopping pungent and peculiar herbs into small pieces. Shelves behind him sag beneath a variety of multicolored solutions with no doubt esoteric purposes.

“Hey there. I'm Bronwyn.”

"I am Vincent. Welcome to my shop."

“Hate to be a bother, but your sign only says 'supplies'. Can you be a bit more specific?”

"I make a variety of powerful potions, which are available for purchase. The Tower is an excellent place for this sort of business."

Potions? Nice. What's available?”

Smokey Crystals and Medium Energy Potions? Once I have money, I know where I'm going to be spending it! Too bad the prices are 'expensive'.

Part of me wants to find some place else that sells these things, but at a different price, and see if I can figure out the markup for the various price levels.

"I have sold potions to the finest mages in Exile. Solberg, 'X', Patrick, and, well, others." He seems to be debating whether to tell you something.

“What's so odd about selling to other people? I mean, we're others!”

“You're with the Services, right? He looks around to make sure nobody else is nearby. "I can't tell anybody here, but listen. Linda has been buying a lot of weird herbs. They're used for other things, true, but the herbs she's been buying are mainly used for summoning. It's suspicious. I stay out of tower business, but you guys have enough of a name that I thought you should know."

:ssj:

“Talk to Solberg, he's keeping an eye on her.”

“And lets move on before Art goes homicidal.”

“Hello?”

There is a large woman with very short hair behind the counter. She was grinding something with a mortar and pestle when you came in, and her fingers have the permanent brownish stains that are the mark of a true alchemist. She wipes a hand clean and extends it to you. "I'm generally called Piglet. I am an experimenter in the alchemical arts."

“Delilah! Wait... Piglet?”

“Yes?”

:lol: “So, you do alchemy? But what about that guy next door?”

"I don't make potions anymore. That's Vincent's business. What I do is try to come up with new recipes. For example, I can teach you to make Weak Poison with holly leaves, or a lovely speed potion with Confrey Root and wormgrass. Might you be interested in purchasing these fine recipes?"

Pass.

“Hello, ancient one.”

The crone behind the counter is so aged and brittle you're surprised nothing is actually foalling off of her.

“I am Ni'aurrl, with Unspecified Services.”

“Menlo," she says, in a creaky voice.

“So, uh, what do you do here?”

"Child, I've forgotten more than you'll even learn. My knowledge extends from the bottom of the sea and to the highest star. And I'll share it with you, if you ask nicely."

“...”

“What?”

“Oh. Please?”

“Of course. Show me what troubles you.”

She identifies things. That's all.

“Huh?

“What sort of monster would steal from the box?”

“Hello there!”

This woman is of utterly nondescript appearance; average height, average looks, dull hair. However, her robes are an immaculate white, and her face radiates peace and strength. "Welcome children. I am Mother Clarisse."

“Matthias, Unspecified Services.”

"And I am high priestess of the Church of the Seeking Soul. I spend my time learning and teaching. And when it cannot be avoided, wandering."

“Well, if you have to spend your time learning things, I suppose the Tower is the best place for that.”

"I agree. My main responsibility in the Church of the Seeking Soul is to never stop learning, and never stop exploring. It is a great burden. Sometimes, I wish to stop and say enough is enough. Fortunately, the joy of teaching keeps me going."

“I suppose that makes sense. Why learn if you won't teach?”

"Others hoard their magical skills. We delight in sharing them. Alas, we must request a fee to support our archival efforts. Are you interested in spells?"

Art can cast some of these, but I can't afford any of them right now.

“You mentioned that you wandered. Is that usual for your cult?”

"Yes. Before I came here, I did service in the Empire War, healing and even fighting. It provided an education, but one I would have been happier without."

“Alas, that war brought many things to us that we could have been better off not having.”

“Odd, this used to be a storage room.”

“Hrm...”

“Huh.”

“Sneaky, sneaky.”

So, the magic barrier prevents me from interacting with the chest, but I can still pick up the ring that's hidden back here. I ID it later.

“Shame they have to let this dissipate.”

“Eh, better than the alternatives.”

“Yeah. No. Not today. But the entrance to X's usual haunt should be along this wall somewhere. Just check for the hidden passages.”

“Found it!”

“X.”

You encounter a wizard wearing long, rich violet robes. A heavy cowl covers the mage's head. You can't make out any details of his (or her) face in the shadows inside. It's pretty creepy. A reedy, whispering voice emerges from the folds of the cowl. "I am called 'X'."

“How do you pronounce the quotation marks? That's neat!”

“Hey! Be polite!”

"I am of the Triad. It comes with the job description."

“And what do you do on the Triad?”

Again, the whisper emerges from the cowl. "We are the guardians of knowledge and the protectors of Exile."

"We restrict the flow of magical knowledge, so that the weak and untrained do not grasp hold of what they cannot control."

“We are not Untrained.”

"If one gains magic he or she cannot control, only blood will be produced." X emits a dry chuckle at this.

“I suppose we don't qualify yet?”

“No. Not yet. Your deeds do not yet necessitate my knowledge.”

Just as Solberg rewards us for killing the Alien Slime, we will need to deal with some other problems before X gets his turn handing us spells.

“That's odd.”

“What was?”

“X must be really distracted. He didn't mention anvils once.”

“What do those have to do with anything?”

“Be glad if you never find out.”

“Ugh, paperwork.”

“To think, it was only a week and a half ago that we spend the night here before moving on to the Portal.”

“So much has happened since then.”

“AH! GIANT SPIDER!”

“Hey there! You're cute!” The spider stares at you with big beady eyes. At first you aren't sure what it's going to do. Then it says, in a friendly, high-pitched voice, "Hi there!" It starts to bounce up and down happily.

:aaaaa:

The chirpy, happy voice continues. "My name is Spider! Pleased to meet you!"

“Please to meet you too! Why are you here?”

“I'm here because the neato wizards here wanted to study me!" He looks at you closely. "You're cute!"

“You're cute too!”

"Yeah!" it chirps. "Wanna' go eat bugs?"

"Bugs are yummy, and the wizards keep a bunch around for me. Wanna go eat some?" You politely decline. It looks sad for a moment.

“And how about those awesome wizards?”

"The wizards are really powerful! They can kill a thousand flies with a single wave of their hand! Cool, huh?" It gives a single, emphatic hop of approval.

“I think we need to step away. Art looks ready to incinerate everything through sheer determination.”

“Bye!”

“Didn't Denise say she left her amulet here? Better get it for her then.”

“I'll keep that safe for her upon our return.”

“I spent quite a few nights here during the Empire War, back when I had to abuse the teleporter to get around. Those weren't fun times, but they were what they were.”

“Sorry about the mess!”

“Hey there. Lots of stuff. Storage room being sorted?”

This mage looks more like a salesman than anything else. He holds a large sack at his side, which bulges with all manner of odd-shaped things. As you approach, he displays a rather predatory smile. “Not really. I am Brantford the mage. And Collector."

“Bronwyn. What is all this?”

"I collect valuable items of all sorts."

“So you say.”

"Yes! Many interesting souls come through the Tower of Magi, and I collect goods from them for resale. Perhaps you would like to purchase some of my goods? Or sell me some trinkets you no longer have need of?"

Brantford is our first 'random shop'. His inventory changes every few days, and he'll buy anything off you. I sell everything that I don't have equipped, then check that ring that Bronwyn stole.

This would be good, except I can't get it to work on Matthias! I'll keep poking at it for now. Let's see what he has to sell...

:psyduck: That's a lot of good stuff! The Magic Armor and the two shields are amazing! Too bad the prices are ridiculous, and even after selling everything off, I barely scrape up 800 gold – which is more needed for training than anything else at the moment.

“Let's not poke at such things right now. If we need to, we can come back later.”

“After we get Dispel Barrier.”

“Pardon me for a moment, I'm going to return this amulet.”

“You got it?”

“Yes, here you go.”

You give it to her. "Great!", she says, and gives you a scroll in return. “That's a good scroll, but my amulet is worth infinitely more. Now, I go on to my post!" She puts it on, and her face resumes its former dour expression.

“Right, go east, then north to Erika. No way I can avoid this one.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 23, 2016

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010
I suppose there's absolutely no chance that this is going to end with Art and Erika singing "Why Can't We Be Friends" together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Getting access to the Tower of the Magi is the most important part of cheesing your mages in this game. Not just because of Solberg, X, and Mother Clarisse, oh no. That tithe box? If you donate there, then pray at the altar, then the INT of everyone in your party is increased by 2 points, assuming it's not below...I think, 15. Which is a nice and reasonable reward for the pious...except that Jeff Vogel forgot to make it non-repeatable. So you can trivially get 10+ points' of INT (6 levels' worth of skillpoints) on every caster as soon as you get to the Tower, making your Bless, Haste, and attack spells all preposterously powerful for this point in the game.

• Locked thread