Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

'Karl' +4
Arctuus +3
Ni'aurrl +2
Delilah +1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I remember that guy. He's fairly tough, BUT he's alone and makes one (powerful) attack per round with no lingering dot. If you recall player characters cannot be killed in one attack at positive hitpoints - they get knocked to 0hp by the first attack but don't die until they take more damage.
That meant that as long as i cast one healing spell per round, no matter how weak, he could never kill anyone. While i slowly ground down his HP and killed him. Then looted the corpse.

(This was in Avernum 3, but i believe Exile 3 is the same in this)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I had been talking about the Dervish. I killed him so I could steal his armour.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LuffyVeggies posted:

Yeah, that's for the doubters - she can and will kick your rear end from the Surface to the Abyss and back without even trying. At least, she could if it wasn't for that "sunlight kills her" thing.

Couldn't she shroud an area in magical darkness of something? Or bioengineer massive trees that block all light?
(Or have a light-sealed tower and use teleportation to emerge at night to wreak... whatever it is Erica wreaks.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought the reason Exile had so many mages wasn't that they were disproportionately exiled, but rather that what magical lore did end up down there was thrown open to be taught to anyone who wanted whereas the Empire places strict legal restrictions.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

FWIW, whether a monster is only one tile or multiple tiles isn't completely correlated to strength - A multiple tile monster is usually pretty strong, but some of the nastiest monsters in the game are single sprite.

Like Art.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Island of Big Ales sounds like a nice place for a holiday.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes, let's give up magic! And then we can all die of easily-preventable diseases! Won't that be fun.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Some kind of healing.... magic?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

President Ark posted:

Clearly to solve the roaches we need to introduce some of those giant intelligent friendly talking spiders up here. They'll deal with it!

What do you mean, invasive species are bad? :downs:

We've already introduced Slithzerai outside their native environment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

wiegieman posted:

That reminds me, why don't the lizards have horrible sunburn reactions?

I'm sure the wizards at the Tower cooked up some kind of radiation shielding spell during the long period of preparation and construction of Fort Emergence. Many of the younger wizards have probably never seen the surface and all they know is that there's a massive fireball that will literally burn you if you just stand outside, so (rather excessive) precautions must be taken.
(It's not just slithzerai. Human exiles are pale as fish and will burn incredibly quickly)

To support this, the game references you being recognisable due to your pale skin even after you've been on the surface for a while. Because the shielding spells are stopping you from tanning?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Go ahead.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Yes it is. While we're at it we should ban fire. That kills tons of people.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Anama are really just fantasy-Amish.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm less saying that summoning is mechanically ineffective and more saying that almost every use of summoning we have seen has been:

A) demons, which us a terrible idea; or
B) hordes of monsters which is also terrible.

demon summoning seems like it should be illegal for the same reason making your own mustard gas is.

In the Empire all magic requires a license, demon-summoning included.

In Exile the state was pretty much set up by a bunch of mages, so the laws are arranged to let them do what they want.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What would happen if you cast Quickfire on the surface? With no walls to stop it, would it just keep expanding until it burned the entire continent?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Either one party of the Dragons, Erika and the Vahnatai is setting up the others as a scapegoat, or all three are working together to break up the Empire's control of the surface.

Or they've each separately decided to mess with the Empire, and hit upon similar ideas.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FreakyM posted:

Sounds to me like a built-in failsafe more than anything.

Doomsday weapons aren't supposed to fail safe. They should fail-extremely-dangerous.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 17, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

berryjon posted:

The party will actually do diplomacy! In fact, it's even diplomacy that will work in the long run.

Art is (re)starting a war. Isn't that, like, the exact opposite of diplomacy?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Glazius posted:

I think it's actually kind of adorable that all the dragons have pulled together like this. And there are babies!

Do we know who the father is?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He's a Drake, not a Dragon. He may not be capable of much magic.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The question is, are they all working together or did they each individually come up with the 'monster plague' idea?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Glazius posted:

Yeah, there are a lot of signs pointing due V right now, but it's honestly anybody's game.

It's actually been Peregrine the whole time.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm kinda surprised that before the war the Empire never demanded the return of certain artifacts on pain of e.g. stopping food aid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Major spoiler for Avernum 4
Rentar-Irhno 'survives' her death, becoming a Crystal Soul. Who then wreaks vengeance on Avernum for killing her.

• Locked thread