Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Firstly, berryjon, glad to see you starting Ruined World so soon after Crystal Souls.

Secondly, I was going to resubmit my character concept that I had pitched for E2, but you already said that Geoffrey (you mispelled it) Archer was on another assignment. Far be it from me to step on canon... plus, nobody voted for the character idea last time around (myself included as I thought that it would be gauche to vote for my own character concept). I can't think of another interesting concept and I doubt that the original idea would be any more popular this time than last, so bugger me and my lack of creativity.

Thirdly, I actually have found copies of all four Exile games (Blades included) that run natively in 64-bit systems, so let me know if that interests you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm going to think about this a bit, but apart from one or two submissions I thought that this was a very compelling group of misbegotten rogues. One thing that I would like to see in this final LP of the trilogy is a more magic-focused party. The Exile 1 LP had a balanced group (one mage, one priest(ess), one switch-hitter in Peregrine) and Exile 2 tilted more melee/support heavy with just one legitimate priest(ess, again) and one mage. This being the last instalment, I would kind of like to see how the game plays out with a caster-heavy party. By that, I mean at least four party members with significant casting abilities.

I'm also fairly keen on the idea of Art, due to age, being less combat focused and more the leader. She always was, but not as much on the front lines this time with more of an emphasis on heals, buffs, and support. Since she is being rebuilt from level 1 again, I think that this could easily be reflected in how her attributes improve as she levels.

I have noticed, though, that having a bit of priestly magic in this game can be useful, but in terms of "arcane" casting you either need to commit fully or not bother.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

LuffyVeggies posted:

That's quite a party we have finalized. It seems we have:
A con-artist Cleric/Thief
A skilled Wizard with a constant sickness
A Nephil Wizard/Cleric (which is somewhat unusual)
A Slith Warrior with some minor casting abilities
And a powerful-yet-moody warrior

It does seem odd to me that Blue will be the only member of the party without ANY spellcasting ability. Yeah, Sass' will be very weak, but I think it's meant to be that way. Oh well, at least we know who's getting the heaviest armor.

I'm actually looking forward to it because I wanted to see a caster-heavy party, but I will admit that Art may have to take a more martial role this time due to the abundance of casters. I think that that would be a good idea for the narrative, in fact... Art realises early on that her support team is heavy on arcane, light on muscle, so she has to make the best of it with her 50-year-old muscles. Naturally, this will open up possibilities for colourful complaints about the difficulties of middle age.

Part of me wants to say that Art should be more melee focused than in previous chapters, but it's already somewhat contrived (narratively speaking) to bust her down to level 1... focusing on her lack of divine casting abilities makes no sense unless she committed some blasphemy or lost faith in a cause.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
berryjon, I found some potential errors/typos:

quote:

[narrator] I will talk about horses when we get one. They are awesome, and utterly vital for a few side quests and delivery jobs.

Mis-set tag, I presume

quote:

That Spite I'll deal with after the Slimes, and that's the promised explanation as to why town NPCs won't talk to us. Because we're strangers.

"Sprite" instead of "Spite"?

quote:

“You let me worry about that. Until then, keep doing the good job.”

"the good job" is odd phrasing. Deliberate or not?

quote:

“You certainly got a tongue on you, grandma. They wanted to send two dervishes. I told them that would be overreacting. At any rater, there are a few of us in Krizsan."

"rate" instead of "rater"?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

LuffyVeggies posted:

Completely understandable, bj. Congrats on (possibly) getting published, by the way!

Also, just a note - I was rereading through the Exile II LP, and I found much to my disappointment that the full, uncut version of Karmas' speech to the rest of the party during update 031 (The Castle, and Magi Clearance) wasn't included on lparchive. It does still exist in the original thread, but said thread won't stick around forever. It's a little disappointing just because it was very interesting character interaction and insight. Is there any possibility of somehow archiving that part?

I didn't know this either. That should absolutely be preserved.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Getting access to the Tower of the Magi is the most important part of cheesing your mages in this game. Not just because of Solberg, X, and Mother Clarisse, oh no. That tithe box? If you donate there, then pray at the altar, then the INT of everyone in your party is increased by 2 points, assuming it's not below...I think, 15. Which is a nice and reasonable reward for the pious...except that Jeff Vogel forgot to make it non-repeatable. So you can trivially get 10+ points' of INT (6 levels' worth of skillpoints) on every caster as soon as you get to the Tower, making your Bless, Haste, and attack spells all preposterously powerful for this point in the game.

berryjon posted:

Must... not... abuse... mistakes...!

Compromise... do it once as intended, then repeat out of curiousity and perhaps once more just to be super duper sure. Once you realise to your horror that it's infinitely repeatable and you would *never* abuse such a thing, never touch it again.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

MagusofStars posted:

That said, IIRC, you *can* kill her in a straight fight if you're crazy enough to try and overpowered enough to do so.

That is a bonus non-canon update after everything is done if I've ever heard one.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I certainly wouldn't consider magical summoning somehow less ethical than other forms of wizardly magic simply because, in this game, it's shite.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

GodFish posted:

Unrelated to that, up north near Erika's tower, there should be a few fights with a good reward that shouldn't be much trouble at your party level, if I'm remembering correctly. Think its an ogre group, a slith group, and then an undead ogre and slith group for a fancy Slith spear?

I actually remember the bit in spoiler from long, long ago... fancy that.

Speaking of Sliths, I am surprised that Sass was not more excited/smug about being right about the dragon scales.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

radintorov posted:

He doesn't strike me as the type to get all smug on being proven right. :shobon:

True, but I could very easily see him saying "YAY we found a bit of a dragon" or something like that.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

I've got that covered for the next update.

Which won't be done for at least two weeks thanks to a move I'm going through and my computer with E3 on it being packed up.

I am about to move as well - I'm not even going very far this time (which is both good and bad), but I am still dreading it. May your relocation be the least shite possible.

Just to be safe, I recommend that you back up all of your files/the whole drat game to Dropbox or the like.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Exile 1 and 2 are not small games by any definition of the term, but having played Exile 3 a literal generation ago I'm just starting to get a new idea of how utterly massive it is.

This third chapter of the LP is making me even more chuffed for Avernum 3: Ruined World. Avadon 3 comes out in a few weeks and I do plan to buy it directly from SWS to support Jeff's works, but I'd be lying if I said I cared about it nearly as much as Exile 3 the Reremake.

Edit: Off-topic, but also Dragon Quest VII for the 3DS. I haven't been looking forward to a video game this much since I was a teenager.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

GodFish posted:

I don't have anything particular to say about this last update, but I do want to say I'm absolutely loving how fast we're getting updates.

Me too, I just didn't say anything because I didn't want berryjon to feel pressured. He's held a reasonably steady pace through roughly 2.3 complex RPGs while writing 16 different player characters and other bit parts, and that's very impressive.

I'm also jealous that he still has physical copies of the old exile hint books. I only have an archive of digital guides and I wish that I could find scans of the really old ones somewhere.

On a more positive note, I do have a copy of the original Nethergate, which is quite rare.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I'm normally a fan of doing all content off of the critical path first, then getting back to the main story. With the time limits in this game, though, I would hesitate to do that. I like the idea of being the big and very proactive heroes who stop the plagues and problems as early as possible so that more people are still alive to remember how great they are.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Are the hard maximums for health and SP still 199/99, respectively?

It also really bugs me that characters level up at such strikingly different paces. I'm sure that it's just my near-clinical OCD talking, but it does.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
This is very much why I'm looking forward to the reremake of Ruined World, even though it probably won't be out until 2018. The game has such an original plot and drama mechanism with the waves of different plagues and whatnot, but even moreso than that it's absolutely massive. I really hope that the reremake doesn't eliminate or skimp on content and it keeps that feeling of world-spanning enormity, because it truly feels epic. I had the shareware version of Exile 3 as a lad and I never bought the full version, but even the demo was so substantial that I don't think that I ever even got to the point where I couldn't do anything else without plumping for the entire game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Parts Kit posted:

If you are up for running a virtual machine or have an old computer with a 32 bit OS still around the games are free now.
http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/productsOld.html

Oh, I know. I even found copies of Exile 1-3 that are wrapped to run natively in 64-bit OSs, but I honestly don't think that I can enjoy such archaic games anymore due to the clunky interfaces and so on. Also, berryjon's narrative LPs are so enjoyable that playing the same game with no party give-and-take or goofy lines from Sass or Ember would probably just seem boring to me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Since the reremake of Ruined World won't be out for a year and a half or so, has anyone played Avernum 3 (the REmake)? I just wondered how it was similar/different in terms of plot, scope and so on.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I haven't a clue what jon is referring to, so I'm excited in a totally dumb sort of way. Not that jon hasn't been dropping hints about Art's past since Exile 1. Talk about your slow-boil plot reveals.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Never blame the author when you can blame yourself...

... unless the author is TMA, in which case: Go bananas!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Given how far you've come in this long and epic trilogy, jon, I hope that you don't give up. You need to do what you need to do, but I will miss this if you take a hiatus (especially now that TMAs LP is done) and I will be very sad if you call it off. I hope that you can find the inspiration that you need to see it through.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

the Quickfire (hah) maze in the lower-left of the map

I genuinely laughed out loud at the "solution" to that scenario.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Even though I wouldn't expect it before spring 2018 at best, I am almost irrationally excited for the reremake of Ruined World even though I still wish that Jeff hadn't chopped the max party size down to four. I'm more excited for that game than I have been for any game in a long time... in fact, I'm more excited for that than I am Breath of the Wild and the Nintendo Switch, and that's an entire new console that comes out in just over two weeks rather than a year or more.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

berryjon posted:

It's a long weekend up here in the great white north. I'd have another one or two done today, but I'm being dragged off to the swimming pool with my family, and then I go back to work bright and early tomorrow morning.

Queen Victoria would want you to spend her day involved with saving empires; she was big on those.

She was also notoriously hydrophobic.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
This LP is making me extra excited for the reremake of this game, even though it's going to be quite a while.

RickVoid posted:

Not sure if I 100% understood what happened in the throne room there, let me run this past you all.

(SPECULATION AHEAD)

So I see three possible scenarios to explain what Art and Prazac were talking about with regards to the Boon Prazac wanted to give Art in exchange for her cooperation:

1) The scene is being played straight. Prazac never knew her mother and, knowing that Art never got to be mother to her own daughter, wants to fix that for someone else. Art feels that because she missed out on most of her daughter's growing up she doesn't deserve to be in her life. Art and Prazac are not related.

2) Art is Prazac's mother, and both are aware of this fact but cannot currently acknowledge it. Art turns down Prazacs offer to protect her for reasons that have not been revealed, which confuses and disappoints Prazac. Sad.

3) Art is Prazac's mother, but Prazac is not aware of this. Her motivations remain as in 1, and Art's as in 2. Tragic.

I feel like #1 is the least likely of the three, and I'm torn as to which of 2 or 3 follows the narrative most closely.

BTW, this is a really goddamn great LP, and I can't wait for the conclusion.

Also, was part of that sequence a spoiler that your next LP project is the completely revealed backstory for Art, as told through Avadon, the Black Gate?

I just wanted to say that, after reading the "Imperial" update, my theory is essentially exactly #3 under spoiler tags, above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Peachfart posted:

Did I miss the conclusion of what happened with Art's daughter?

I must admit, I was hoping for some clarification on the relationship between Art and Empress Prazac myself, but I fancy that jon wants to leave it this way.

• Locked thread