Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
These are the Consequences of our Actions.
Let's Play Exile 3 - Ruined World

What is Exile 3?

Exile 3 (or E3, not to be confused with the Video Game Convention) is the final part of the Exile series. Developed and published by Jeff Vogel of Spiderweb Software in 1997, this game refines the Ultima-inspired elements into its final form before the series was rebooted as Avernum. In many ways it is better than its predecessors, but on the other hand, it is also a step back.

What is the Plot?

Several years have passed since the events of Exile 2. The Empire and Exile are in a state of cease-fire, yet there has been no contact since the end of the war. Exile and their Vahnatai allies are rebuilding their respective nations when a new series of caverns is discovered.

Except these caves connect directly to the surface.

Exile quickly establishes Fort Emergence to defend this location, and prepares to send out a scouting party to determine the current status of the Empire and the surface. The first such party vanished shortly after arriving on the surface, their reports indicating that things were in horrible condition.

Now, a second party is being prepared, to succeed where the first one failed.

How will the LP work?

Much like my two previous Exile LPs (Exile 1, and Exile 2), this will be a screenshot narrative LP. Nakar's Ultima LP is a source of inspiration, and I intend to honour that work.

Once again, Art will be returning as my lead protagonist, while the other five members of the party will be submitted and voted upon by the thread as I did in my previous LPs. Please see the Character Creation post for more details.

How do I get Exile?
Given that it is almost 20 years old, Vogel has released the Exile trilogy as Freeware. It may be downloaded from their website here. However, I am using a 32-bit virtual machine to run this game as it cannot even be installed properly on more modern systems.

If you are using a Macintosh computer, there is a wrapper here that you can use to run the game properly.

Audience Participation
I will try to ask the thread about major decisions, but in the end, I will try to get everything done. This won't be a 100% completion LP, the game is far too massive for that. Naturally, I will pay attention to what people say, and the suggestions they make.

Other Links
The Encyclopedia Ermariana is a Wiki for Exile and Avernum, and the primary resource I've been using for helping develop the background.

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Act 0 - The Party and Upper Exile (1)
Act 1 - Krizsan Province
Interlude 1 - The First Suspect
Act 2 - The Isle of Bigail
Interlude 2 - The Second Suspect, and the New Formello Murders
Act 3 - Karnold Province
Interlude 3 - Karnold Province
Act 4 - Midori Province
Interlude 3.5 - The Cult of the Sacred Object
Act 4.5 - Exploration of the Midori Province
Act 5 - Monoroe Province
Interlude 4 - Side Quests
Act 6 - Footracer Province
Final Interlude
Final Act - The End

Fan Art and Commentary from the Thread
The artist on deviantArt known as Sir Tiefling did this piece after I won an "Inspire Me!" competition with Art's story:

(click for full view on dA)

SA poster "Jamie the D" gave us this, in response to update 10 - and Art's reaction therein:

During a discussion on multi-tiled monsters, this exchange made me laugh:

MagusofStars posted:

FWIW, whether a monster is only one tile or multiple tiles isn't completely correlated to strength - A multiple tile monster is usually pretty strong, but some of the nastiest monsters in the game are single sprite.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 01 - Fort Emergence

Hello! I'm berryjon, your friendly narrator and LPer for this game. All of my narration and commentary will be done in italics, with that picture to the left to mark it. For now though, please click on the next image to get the opening, in engine cutscene!

"I hate you. I hate you all. Whoever thought this was a good idea will get their rear end kicked."

Welcome to the user interface for the game. It's been refined from Exile 1 and 2, but everything should still be recognizable. On the left is the active screen, showing your party and their immediate surroundings. There are walls, a sign, a door, various things in the room like beds, things on the beds...
The white dot is a special event, in this case stepping on it asks if you want to rest your party up.
The upper-right contains party information. Right now, Art is our only party member, though that will get filled up once the thread has voted on who gets in and who doesn't. Art has 10 HP and 15 SP. and is in otherwise good condition with no buffs or debuffs.
In the middle-right is the inventory window. This used to be combined with the party status screen, but was given its own section to make inventory work less of a hassle. It's a neat quality of life improvement over the previous games and I like it. Unlike something else which will be coming up shortly.
Below that is the log, where recent messages can be seen and checked up on.
Under the main window is a description of where we are, and it can be a specific room, the name of a dungeon, or a whole area of the overworld.
And under that is our command buttons. We are currently not in combat, so for now the buttons are, from left to right:

• Cast Mage Spell
  • Cast Priest Spell
  • Look at target Tile
  • Talk to target NPC
  • Pick Up items
  • Use something you are adjacent to
  • Call up the Map in a separate window
  • Enter Combat

"..."

"Where the hell did I put my shirt? I can't go around with my poncho all day!"

Picking up items will get everything in sight if you aren't in danger, or just things adjacent to the active PC if you are in combat or otherwise in danger. Changing from previous games, items now have weight in addition to taking up one of our 16 item slots. If you go over your weight limit, the PC in question starts taking combat penalties.

"There it is. And that candle looks like it will need to be replaced soon." She picks up the note from the dresser. It wasn't there when she went to bed. "What does this say?"

When something is in your inventory, you can Use it. For things like books and notes, it calls up a new window telling you what it is. Things like potions and scrolls get consumed.

"Anaximander, you have some explaining to do." She pockets the note - just in case she gets lost.

"No, no time to go to sleep. I just woke up!"

"I also need to get out of the habit of talking to myself out loud."

"It's weird though, I thought that this was already being handled? Why would I get called out of my retirement?"

"Yeah, this isn't ominous at all. Let's see... where am I?"

Instead of being black lines on a grey background as in previous games, Exile 3's map is full colour and a scaled down view of the map. I don't like it as details get lost, but it's workable.

"You know what? I'll wander a bit first. Get the lay of the land."

"commitment issues my rear end"

"Oooh! Food!"

"Ah! You must be the new arrival."

"That I am!"

And here is the 'quality of life' improvement I despise. Talking to people now covers up the active window, and brings up this... hideous thing. While mechanically it is the same as previous games, there is the addition of being able to click on a keyword using the mouse to ask about it, rather than typing it in.
Much like the previous games, you can click on the 'Record' button to have the game save the currently active dialogue. It's a neat way to transcribe what people tell you. Well, let me just Record this conversation tree, then transcribe it for you....
Where is "talksave.txt"? Where is the conversation dump file that I've been using in the previous LPs?

Apparently Vogel decided to incorporate the text dump into the game itself, so you can access it from within the game. While I can applaud the thought behind it, this means I can't transcribe conversations like I used to!
Well, that would be true, except for the efforts of my fellow goon, "Gullwhacker", who was able to locate a raw text file that was a full dump of every written word in the game. I was able to start extracting conversations from that file, though it does slow down my work flow. However, this is the raw file, and a complete mess. If anyone can find a proper dialogue dump, that would be most appreciated.
Also, conversations now have little faces in the upper left. I won't use them as there are fewer of those than there are NPC models in the game. As in, there is only one Slithzerikai portrait and one Nephilim portrait. So screw that, I'm sticking with what work for me.

You meet a young, scrawny man with short, sandy brown hair. He bows respectfully to you as you approach.

"Hey. I'm Art. Who are you?"

"Greeting, adventurer! I am Gordon."

"So, Gordon, what do you do around here?"

"Well, I'm sort of the servant for the guest quarters. I sort of keep everything clean, prepare meals, that sort of thing."

Like the previous games, everyone responds to "Look", "Name", and "Job". I won't be singling those out, but you can be certain I incorporate those into the dialogue I present. I will also be taking some small liberties with the text where needed to fit the narration and situation. For example, Gordon here addresses 'Adventurers' in the plural, rather than in the singular that is Art right now, so I changed that. In the future, things I ask of the NPCs will be bolded for ease of reference.

"You make the meals? You're the cook?"

He looks nervous. "Ummm. There's a bit of a problem with that. The fort is sort of not entirely ready, and I don't have the supplies up here to cook yet. Perhaps if you went to see Elisa?"

"And who is Elisa?"

"She runs the main kitchen, in the southwest corner. She gives lots of food to anyone who asks."

Not everyone will have something to say that will advance the plot. A lot of dialogue is incidental.

A young, lithe woman with dark skin moves lithely about the room, performing various martial exercises. A vicious looking curved sword is sheathed at her side. This person is clearly capable of being quite lethal.

"Hey!"

She walks over and gives you a stiff, sharp, not entirely respectful bow. "I am Yanmitho, the trainer for Fort Emergence."

"Art, Unspecified Services. Retired."

She looks at you with distaste. "I am here to train soldiers to the best of my ability. I can also train... others." She says 'others' with great disdain. You can't help but guess her contempt is aimed at you.

A lot of dialogue assumes the party is new. As Art has been around the block a few times, I will be changing that as I see fit, trying to keep the spirit of the conversation, if not the words.

"What? Others? You do realize we all work together, right?"

"You work for Unspecified Services, do you not? I am not afraid to say I have little respect for your lot."

"... right. And just so I know what I'm working with here, what is your problem with Unspecified Services?"

"Pfaugh!" She spits. "A ragtag band of untrained adventurers, amateur spies and mixed hangers on. We soldiers train hard and die for our cause. You wander around aimlessly, and expect respect."
"And yet, King Micah gives the first contact with the surface to your undisciplined lot." She spits again.

"Right. I could tell you how wrong you are, but it's obvious you've already made up your mind. What I can do, however, is take my Royal Clearance, and let Micah know your opinion. How about that?"

"It is not to such as me to question the wisdom of my monarch." She pauses and thinks. "Even if he is wrong. When Prince Karmas ascends, I know the right order will be restored."

"..."

After we've levelled up, we can talk to this nice ray of sunshine to improve our skills. Later.

"Alright, the rest of the rooms are empty. Plenty of space for people to rest though. Just how empty is this place?"

"KITTY!"

"Meow."

"Really, really empty."

"Not the way I'm supposed to go, but who cares? I don't work for him any more! I'm doing him a favor, and he can afford to wait a few minutes more. Jackass."

"Huh. Mages workshop. Usually there's a sign. Must not have been put up yet."

You meet a small, bent wizard, heavy with years. He is poring over a thick book, researching esoteric fields you could never begin to comprehend.

"Morning."

He looks up at you. It is clear his mind is wandering in realms far away. He croaks "I am Berra."

"Art, Retired. Whatcha doing here?"

"I mainly concern myself with doing research. If only the facilities here were adequate."

She looked around. "Yeah. Pretty threadbare. What sort of facilities do you need?"

He croaks in irritation.. "Now, if I was at the Tower of Magi, I would have all the tomes and materials I need! But here, I have little to work with."

"And what are you researching?"

"I am devising immensely powerful spells, communicating with being beyond your comprehension, gaining absolute power. Nothing you could possibly understand. You're probably just here to waste my time."

"Huh. That explains why you're here. Peregrine sent you."

"That child has too much power! There is no way he can be reasoned with! Now leave me, before I turn my powers on you, and make sure you speak not for a year!"

"Yep, as I expected. Bye!"

"Huh. I haven't seen some of these is years. And is someone writing a book?"

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!"

"Oh! Hello! I'm Art, retired."

This woman is quite young, probably in her mid-twenties. Yet, she radiates power well beyond her years. She levels a piercing gaze at you. "I am Mazumdar. Head Mage of Fort Emergence. I am responsible for coordinating all magical activities that take place in the fort."

"Wait... what sort of activities? It looked like you are set up for biological experimentation."

"This fort will eventually be used for experimentation, training and launching magical spells against our foes. However, the Triad keeps us from being nearly as powerful as we could be."

"I'm sure the Triad has their reasons, like preventing Empire raiders from getting at sensitive material."

"Perhaps. Unfortunately, they tend to not want to let power out of their control. For that reason, our resources are nowhere near what they could be." She grins. "With exceptions."

"I smell the hand of Peregrine there."

"No, he was of no help. We are supposed to be able to train mages here. Yet, the Triad won't let us have the books to teach spells from." She grins mischievously. "However, we've managed to sneak a few things past them. We need those tomes after all."

She shares the grin. "Good for you. Have a nice day."

"And there's the signage!"

This young mage's robes were probably clean this morning. Now, they have bits of fur and tiny clumps of dung on them. She sees you, and curtsies, self-consciously brushing fur and such off her robe as she does so. "I'm Eva!"

"Eva? I read your book in the other room."

"Oh? That? It's just a draft. I'm here to research the flora and fauna of the surface world. We summon samples from the surface, examine them in their cells, and teleport them back up."

"Flora and fauna, huh? Why aren't you asking us people who grew up on the surface?"

"Oh, I thought about that. How do we know you remeber everything properly? It's been a decade at the least for anyone! But Plants and Animals? I can study them without bias! If there's anything you've found of interest, ask me about it. Maybe I'll know something!"

She does too! Asking her about conventional animals gives a quick description of them, as well as less conventional creatures. I'll skip over this for now, and come back later when we've encountered actual examples.

"Neat."

"Now, mention of secret tomes... secret passage sense tingling...!"

"Not getting through here for a while."

"And here's the open area of the fort. How typical."

You meet a portly bearded man in nondescript robes. He looks bored. "Oh. Hello. I'm Habecker. Can I help you?"

"Art, Unspecified Services. Retired. You?"

"Well, I was hired to research for the Fort. Which is why I'm so bored."

"Research? There's plenty of that! You shouldn't be bored!"

"I am a sage by trade. I was brought here to study samples from the surface world. That's why being here is so boring! If only I could find someone interested in my abilities." He looks at you meaningfully.

"Oh. You identify the properties of items, and without someone bringing stuff to you, you can do nothing. I think I can fix that."

"If you could, that would be wonderful!"

"Whelp, going to avoid that as much as I can."

You meet a young woman with long dark hair. She doesn't seem to be too interested in talking to you.

"Hey! I'm Art!"

"Thereza."

"So, what do you do... wait. Don't I know you?"

"I'm with Unspecified Services."
"The department of spies, lone wolf mages, adventurers, and everyone else working for Exile that isn't in the Army or government proper. Also the eternal source of resentment on the part of the military. We're both on assignment for US at the moment."

"I know. I had a nice chat with the military trainer a few minutes ago."

"The military resents us because they don't control us and we do many things better than them. So don't expect much help from them."

"I know, I know."

"Wait. You said your name was Art?"

"Yep."

"ohmygoshI'msosorry!"

"Don't worry about it. What's your assignment?"

"Ma'am, I am the contact for the others being sent up there."

"Others?"

"Yes. Others. You didn't think that something so important would be left to a single group, do you?" She pauses. "I'm sorry, I'm not cleared to say more to you, Ma'am."

"I expected as much. Dismissed."

"Exit out to Upper Exile."

"Well, since they asked so nicely, why not?"

"A whole bunch of empty rooms."

"Hey there!"

A old, small, very round woman stirs a pot of savory lizard stew. She is surrounded with enough kitchen implements and supplies to feed an army. Which, you suppose, is her job. "Welcome, child. I am Elise."

"Ma'am."

"I provide hot meals to all my children. I also, if asked very nicely, provide rations for troopers going out on trips."

"Gordon mentioned your generosity. And I must say, it's a rare person who can make me feel young again."

"Oh, Mother-of-us-all, is that what it feels like?"

"Well, if you put it that way, may I please have a lunch, Matron-of-the-hearth?"

She smiles maternally. "You you poor dear. You need some lunch? Just a moment." She sets to work, and sook comes back with several neatly wrapped bundles of rations. "Here you are! Now, be careful out there!"

She gives us 8 food for asking politely.

"Never touch a Matron's pantry. There are less painful ways to die, I'm sure."

"Let's not disturb these guards."

You meet a gaunt, severe man. His armor bears the insignia of a commander. He has a regal bearing, but cruel eyes.

"Morning sir. Art, Unspecified Services. Retired."

He looks at Art coldly. "I am Commander Johnson, and I command all the soldiers in this fortress."

"Thank you for your..."

"Which you aren't. Someday, we're going to have to slay all those Empire bastards. And when we do, it'll be the soldiers who do the work."

"In case you haven't noticed, we've been winning against those bastards for a while now."

"Yes. That's right. You and your other 'Unspecified Services' wastes of air will then be no good to anyone. It's your turn now, but when you gently caress up, it'll be me and my men who do it properly." He looks away.

"Right. Sure. Whatever you think."

"Now, if that map is right, Anaximander is north of here. So, let's go east instead!"

"Art? Art? Is that you?" You see a small, heavy-set woman with a friendly attitude and a radiant smile. She wears long, well cared for robes. "It's me! Marian!"

"Marian..? MARIAN! Honey! I haven't seen you in years!"

"Yes, not since Motrax's funeral."

"Yeah. I know. I'm sorry. At least he had his cats."

"They're still there, I think. After the wounds and illness finally killed him, the place had too many sad memories for us. I mean, me and the Captain."

"I know. How is Ko anyway?"

"Busy with work. We moved pretty much from there to here, and things just haven't stopped."

"How have you not convinced him to take a vacation yet?"

"Oh, talk to him, and you'll see. He's in charge of logistics for the Fort."

"Wrong door, Art!"

You meet a Captain of the Exile army. He's very thin, somewhat hyper and undeniably friendly.

"KO!"

"Wha..? ART!" He shakes her hand vigorously. "What brings you to Fort Emergence?"

"Anaximander."

"Oh. Um. Well, I'm helping Marian with the supplies. I don't deal with the spy stuff."

"Don't worry about it. How's the supply situation?"

"It takes a lot to feed an army. Even though they haven't shown up yet. Hey, there's a supply room off to the side that's got some stuff set aside for you. And you can leave your extra stuff there. Help yourselves!"

"Free storage?"

"Yep! I'll make sure nothing happens to it. Hey, once you've had your meeting, come on back! We can chat. Catch up on old times!"

"Don't mention old, please!"

He laughs. "Fair enough. But still, we should all sit down and talk."

"Agreed."

"Here we go."

"Lots of basic gear. This is going to be one of those missions. I'm so glad I retired!"

"Hold on..."

"HANG ON! MOMMY'S COMING FOR YOU SWEETY!"

"HEY!"

A pale Exile, impeccably dressed and hair neatly cut, waits behind the counter. As Art approaches, he checks his notes. "My name is Levy. How may I help you?"

"Art. Unspecified Services."

"Ah. And I am in charge of making allowances for those in Exile's employ. I provide rewards for those who perform exceptional services." He smiles. "In addition, I have been given a very valuable stewardship."

"The Orb!"

He gives a small, smug smile. "I am the one entrusted with the guardianship of Thralni's Sphere."

"PLEASE! MAMMA MISSES HER BABY!"

He flashes another small, tight smile. "Will you request it?"

"PLE~EASE!

"Request denied."

"I will punch you."

"No, you won't. You gave up possession of the Sphere when you retired. It's mine now."

Her eyes narrow dangerously. "I will find a way."

"You do that. In the meantime, go talk to the boss."

"I will return. And the Orb will return to me!"

"Well, he should be here."

"And a whole bunch of nothing."

"You aren't Anaximander."

You meet a burly man with a lot of hair and a lot of gut. He looks you up and down as you approach. "No, I'm Flanagan." He rises to shake Art's hand. "And you must be Art. Heard a lot about you."

"I categorically deny using Hawethorne's and Garzahd's heads as puppets to entertain the children. I don't know who started that rumor."

"Ha! I haven't heard that one. Well, I suppose I should tell you what I do here. I'm sort of an investigating agent."

"Really? This is an office."

"Well, I'm too big and loud to be much of a spy! So, I wait here. Then, when something goes wrong, or gets weird, I'm the one who will look it over and make sense of what's going on." He taps his head. "I got more up here than you might think."

"I'm going to be talking to you a lot, aren't I?"

"Probably. I wouldn't be here otherwise. The Information loop would be too far."

"Thanks for your time."

"You too."

"Hey, someone left their book on the table..."

"Eh, the series went down hill after a while. Too many retread plots. It should have stopped after the third volume, The Ruination of Gaia."

"And speaking of, is the rest on those shelves?"

"No..?"

"I swear, if I got called up here to deal with this, I will drag his carcass along for the ride!"

"Anaximander!"

There is a dissonance here. Art is far too experience and veteran to be treated like that. Let's fix that!

"Anaximander? It's me. Art. Not some newbies." You greet Anaximander, commander of spying and special forces for Fort Emergence, and a very fidgety, nervous man.

"What? Art? You're early! I thought it was the others!"

Art shook her head. "Dammit, I'm retired! What sort of end-of-the-world emergency could you possibly have that would require dragging me up here from my hut?"

Anaximander took a deep breath to steady himself. "It's bad, Art. Really bad. We sent out a scouting party already, quite unofficially. They were supplied by X, and told to survey the region, check out the cities. That sort of stuff."

Art nodded. "Go on."

"They went missing a couple weeks ago. The last report was that they had split up to cover more ground faster." He looks sweaty as Art's gaze bores holes in him. "There's something wrong on up there, something that has the Empire in knots."

"I find that hard to believe."

"We're under Valorim," Anaximander passes a map to Art, showing her the local region. "You know about that?"

Art looked at the map. "Yes. Latest official colonization effort. Starting with Blackcrag Fortress, going south into Footracer and Midori Provinces. Any expansion after that was after I was Exiled."

"Well, they've gotten all the way to the southern end of the sub-continent," Anaximander wiped his brow. "The first party was basically there to make maps. We were supposed to put together an official delegation in a couple months, but after the last reports, we had to scramble."

"How?"

"We need to know what's going on up there!" He yelled out, causing Art to lean back. "Reports of monsters, diseases, criminals and bandits all suggest that the Empire can't keep control!"

"Which is wrong."

"Very, very wrong."

"What do you want me to do?" She already dreaded the response.

"Under Section 4B.3 of the Exile Security Act, I am hereby officially reactivating your commission in Unspecified Services to for the duration of the emergency," Anaximander said. "I'm sorry."

"SORRY?" Art screeched. "I'm 50 years old! I can't go running around a continent larger that Exile doing things!"

"You're the ONLY ONE I HAVE!"

"Bullshit!" Art snapped back. "There's... Theodore del'Astra, Brickman Longfellow, Mad Jeff, Rashiid, Adel Behdin, Ashley Boul, Cameron Carson, Caradoc, Conrad Ayers, Geoffry Archer, Rekban, Irving, Mercy, Mrrawn, Orssa, Richard Fox, Sss-Graa...!"

"They all have other assignments. I have you, and a bunch of new recruits."

Art shook her head. "You have got to be joking."

"I wish I was."

"Who was on the first recon group?"

"Erin, Elsner, Glost and Tucker."

"... and?"

"And what?"

"That's four. Teams of six. I wrote those rule myself."

"It was decided that a smaller group would be better able to evade detection and capture," Anaximander huffed, obviously not comfortable with the facts. "I know why you wrote those rules." He shuffles some papers. "Um, look, head over to the sitting room across the hall. These are the candidates you can pick from. Choose five, and we'll bring them up for your team."

Art looked down at the papers. "Fine. But there will be a reckoning for this."

"I would expect nothing less from you. Oh! before you go, there's something I got for you."

"What?"

"We contacted the Olgai-Vahnatai through their colony here in Upper Exile, and explained the situation." He produced two long wrapped objects from beside his desk. "They sent these."

Art held the two ancient blades up to the light, the dark metal glistening with oils that emerged from within. "They sent these?"

"They knew you would hold the gates," Anaximander gestured in the direction of the access point to the overworld. "They know you, and put their faith in you, as do we all."

This is my current map of Fort Emergence. To be updated once I get Magic Map.

Now is the time for Character Creation! The next post will detail how it is done, as well as how the voting for PCs will take place. Remember, you in the thread get to choose Art's helpless internstrue companions!

berryjon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 7, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 02 - Character Creation

In this post, I will introduce the mechanics of Character Creation for Exile 3. Those of you familiar with the previous games can skip down to the new traits.

When you start a new game, this is what you are faced with. I'm going to be scrapping all these in favour of custom characters as submitted by you, the thread!

Like so. Now, let's move on with Art's character for Exile 3. She's going to start with bog standard Level 1 stats to represent spending the past few years fishing and in general not saving the world.

When you first start a character, you are brought to this screen. Here you choose the species of your PC, their Advantages and Disadvantages. All these options have some effect on the amount of XP the character needs to level up. You see, by default, the bog-standard human requires 100XP to go up a level. Improving your character increases the XP required to level up, and giving your character disadvantages reduces it. Note that all percentages are multilplicative, so stacking Advantages on someone will hurt their long-term prospects, a lot. So, from the top:

• Human - (+0%) – The standard 'species' in Exile, Humans gain no advantages due to their nature. Default Weapon: Stone Knife.
  • Nephilim - (+12%) – Felinoids of the Surface world, they too have been Exiled for being 'undesirable' by the Empire. In Exile 1, they were a nuisance, but never really a threat on the strategic level. +2 DEX, Innate bonuses to Missile and Throwing Weapons. Default Weapon: Darts.
  • Slithzerikai - (+20%) - A species native to the Caves, the Sliths were allied against the Empire. Some Sliths are citizens of Exile now, and they have no presence on the Surface. +2 STR, +1 INT, Innate bonus to Polearm Weapons. Default Weapon: Stone Spear.

For the purposes of this LP, I would like one of each of the Nephil and the Sliths represented, though no more than 3 PCs total. Now, the Advantages are something that increase your character's ability in Exile, mostly in combat – though exceptions exist.

• Toughness - (+10%) - Simply put, the character with this trait takes less damage. Somewhere around 10%, but a variety of factors can affect the exact number.
  • Magically Apt - (+20%) - A PC with this trait deals approximately 25% more damage with spells than a character without this trait, and all other factors being equal.
  • Ambidextrous - (+8%) - The character with this suffers no penalty from having two weapons in hand in combat. I'll discuss the details later when I go through combat.
  • Nimble Fingers - (+10%) - Better at handling Traps, Locks and poison. Very utilitarian.
  • Cave Lore - (+4%) - The description says “Can Hunt”, which means that you'll occasionally get some food from nowhere while a character with this skill is in the party. It's also required for certain special encounters.
  • Woodsman - (+6%) - Like Cave Lore, except for the Surface.
  • Good Constitution - (+10%) - Resisting Poison and Disease, allowing the PC to recover from these ailments faster.
  • Highly Alert - (+7%) - A person with this trait can avoid magical sleep, allowing them to keep acting when others fall. They can also act as a warning for the party, allowing them to avoid being surprised by ambushes and the like.
  • Exceptional Strength - (+12%) - With weight now a factor, a character with this trait can carry 20% more weight that someone with the same Strength. They will also deal a little bit more damage with melee strikes.
  • Recuperation - (+15%) - This trait allows the person with it to heal much faster than normal.

Disadvantages, however, are not so nice. Though they do provide a reduction in the amount of XP required to level up.

• Sluggish - (-10%) - This causes a 25% reduction in the ability of a character to move in combat by reducing their default AP from 4 to 3.
  • Magically Inept - (-8%) - Cannot use Magical Items. No Potions, Wands, Scrolls, or other activated items, they are all unusable by this PC.
  • Frail - (-8%) - Poison and Disease are worse for this character. Yes, this stacks with Good Constitution, meaning +2%XP for no benefit.
  • Chronic Disease - (-20%) - This character will occasionally catch the Disease status, negatively affecting their performance.
  • Bad Back - (-8%) - Unable to carry great weights, this trait reduces carrying capacity by 20%, as well as reducing physical damage by a minor amount.

Not all Traits are made equal, and this shows in their unpolished nature. One thing that Avernum did better was improving this system, but we're here with version 2 of the system.

Art is Ambidextrous due to her combat style, and due to her advancing age, now also has a bad back. She only needs 100XP per level, which means that she will likely be advancing the fastest over the course of the game.

This looks like a lot, so I'm going to start going down on the left side from the top. The first field is the name of NPC we're training. All training through skill points earned via level up also occur on a screen like this. However, seeing as how this is a new NPC, we haven't had a chance to name him/her/it yet.

The purchasing of skills is done with two resources. The first is the amount of skill points we have on the character (earned at level-up), and the amount of gold we have in our party. The image is good enough, I won't recite the numbers later. However at character creation, we have 60 SP to work with, and infinite gold to spend. But what to spend it on?

Health is a flat measure of HP. It goes up based on a character's Strength at each level-up, but can be increased directly. Every character starts with 6 Health that cannot be reduced. The max is 251.

Spell Points power magic spells, and do not go up with level, they can only be purchased with the skill points earned by levelling up. The max is 100.

Strength represents a character's soundness of body. The higher, the more HP a character will have in addition to dealing more damage with physical attacks. All characters start off with 1, but if they feel like taking any damage at all, should start with at least 3. The max is 20.

Dexterity affects how ofter you hit or get hit in combat, as veterans of RPGs may assume, but also affect the Actions Points of a character, which will be explained when combat comes around. A high Dexterity will allow a person to do more per turn of combat than others. All characters start with 1, but if they want to do well in combat, should have at least three. The max is 20.

Intelligence affects Spell Points and Magic damage as Strength affects HP and physical damage. It's a nice dichotomy. All characters start with 1, but if they want to do anything with magic, should have at least 3. The max is 20.

Edged/Bashing/Pole/Thrown/Archery are all classes of weapons. Swords, Clubs, Spears, Throwing Stars and Bows respectively. They represent specialization in weapons, and the more you have, the better your ability to deal damage goes up. Focusing on a weapon can give more benefits than just the general benefits from a high Strength and Dex, so don't forget them. They all go to 20.

Defence is a general skill to defend yourself with; making shields better and in general not getting hit, or even reducing damage. However, the most important aspect of it is that this skill reduces the Encumbrance you get from your equipment. I'll explain that in Combat. A good long-term investment. Goes to 20.

Mage and Priest Spells represent the levels of spells available to the character. Having levels in these also improve your SP upon levelling up! Spells will be covered in more detail later, but at character creation, only spells up to level 3 are available. By the time we get to places with Level 4 spells available, we'll have enough skill points to buy more ranks in this. They both go up to 7.

Mage Lore is a passive skill that is pooled across the party to determine if they know about stuff for plot points or resolving quests. It goes to 20, and by the mid game, we should have at least that many points in it across all our PC's.

Alchemy is important for brewing potions from ingredients gathered from across the world, and they range from the 'why bother?' of thinks like Weak Poison Potions to 'absolutely vital' like Skill Potions. There is a core quest that requires this, but that won't be until very far into the game. Goes to 20.

Item Lore allows us to identify items in our possession without spending money or spell points on Identify spells. It's fairly passive, and useful at low amounts to detect if an item is cursed or not. This goes to 10.

Disarm Traps and Lockpicking are exactly what they say they are. Used for Traps and Locks, the skills go up to 20, and can be used on things magic won't work on. Dexterity provides a passive hidden bonus to these skills.

Assassination is an unusual skill. Characters with it have a chance of doing bonus damage against any foe lower levelled than they are. This can help with cleaning trash mobs, or even against boss fights if you're over levelled. I like to think of this skill as the 'Win Harder' skill. Goes to 20, at which point you're dealing massive damage to anything less powerful than you. It does not stack with ranged weapons, just melee.

Poison is a skill that allows you to safely add poison to your weapons to try and hit foes with. Can be useful with Thrown or Archery based weapons, but I find it's just not worth the skill points in the long run. Goes to 20.

Luck costs no money to train, and it does the most dangerous and powerful thing of all – it affects the RNG. Can go all the way to 20, if you dare.

Here is what I'm putting into my initial character. 4 extra points of Health, 5 baseline Spell points, 5 in each of the base statistics, 3 levels of Priest spells, and the last 8 points into edged weapons, as knives and swords are common weapons. In practice, this a build that buff themselves using Priest spells for a round or two, then charges into melee. Casters and other ranged attacks can pick it apart, so support will be needed in the long run.

This is the Character model selection. All PC's can have their own icons, and here is where the fun really begins! All PC images are bitmap images, 28x36, mirrored for when facing the other direction. For this LP, I will accept custom images for submitted PC's!

I'll say it right now, I find the non-humans to be far less interesting than the human ones, so if anyone really wants to try their hand at a new PC graphic, please be my guest.

But for now, I'm just going with the bottom of column two for no apparent reason. Wait, no, I have a splendid reason. And it's not just because it's the same graphic for Art back in Exile 1.

Finally, we get to name our PC, and I've chosen Art. Because that's her name.

Submissions!

I'll be taking calls for FIVE additional Player Characters. What I want are names, backgrounds and stats (or just guidelines). You can choose a PC picture yourself, or make on for additional brownie points. Just keep in mind that over the course of the game, we're going to be getting a lot of skill points to spend (upwards of 200 more during the course of the game), so you can have some flexibility in what you want to do. If there are more than five characters submitted, I'll put it up to the goons to weigh in on which ones they think are better. I will, of course, reserve the final say for myself.

Once I am satisfied with the number of submissions, I will move on to voting. Before anything else, I will pick one PC to automatically get into party, either because I like the character, or due to possible synergy. After that, Each person may assign a value of 1 through 4 to four of the remaining PCs indicating how much they like that PC, with 4 being more than 1. Each person can also add a -1 to one other PC, indicating that they believe that character should not be in the party.

After sufficient time has passed, I will close voting, generate the PCs fully, and move on with the story!

Now, on to the show!

berryjon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Mar 8, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, and there's an incorrect tag ("nobel" instead of "noble") and I think a missing close-italics in the first update?

They're both fix'd.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

Completely random other topic: Why didn't Art ask for her allowance? That's like...25 gold or some worthless amount! You could practically stay at a moderately-priced Inn for that.

Because Levy is currently on her poo poo list for keeping her away from her precious. And besides, I will have five other PCs to do that for her!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

48 HOUR WARNING

I will be closing PC submissions in 48 hours from now, then I will prep everything for the votes.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

FreakyM posted:

If I recall correctly, then yes, Magically Inept prevents from drinking Knowledge Brews.

I was not aware of that.

Actually, let me crack open the game, whip up a PC with that, and cheat a brew into inventory to check....

And that's confirmed. Magically Inept PCs cannot use Knowledge Brews.

TWENTY AND A HALF HOURS to submit PCs!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 02A - Potential PCs

The following PCs are presented as their background, followed by their statblock without commentary, and to the best of my ability. I apologize in advance for sometimes the math didn't add up for those looking for specific stats, and some people didn't give me more than a vague direction of what they wanted their character to look like.

Mazian Drej posted:

If the retired Art feels they are ancient, then Mazian is downright prehistoric. An old man, his hair silver-grey, his memories of the surface are dim, but filled with burning emotion. Once he was a soldier, too. But he was a grunt and once he'd thrown down his blade and deserted, he never took it up again. Though they exiled him, time has dulled his distaste for the empire and with the situation as-is, he feels it's time to return home, no matter what that looks like. In his heart he has ambition, even as he nears the end of his life. Once it was a desire for power, but never fulfilled, it has turned into a desire to leave some lasting institution behind him. This desire is what has lead him to join up with unspecified services, in the hopes of one last adventure for a life that has never truly known any.

Nista Shore posted:

A young magical prodigy, she severely irritated her instructors by only showing interest in the flashiest and most destructive spells. Ultimately, they came to the conclusion that she was wasting her talents, and they couldn't really teach her until she was actually willing to learn. After developing a crush on a fellow female student, and subsequently being rejected because the other girl was straight, she decided her life was over and volunteered for Unspecified Services in the hope of being sent on a suicide mission. Despite her magical strength, few people can handle dealing with her melodramatic personality. Time will tell if she grows out of it.

John posted:

After the end of the Exile-Empire war, the Empire was forced to abandon all of their subterranean outposts. They did their best to wipe away any information or intelligence they had gathered before they left, and in this they were aided by the fact that many of these outposts had been badly damaged by Art and her crew. However, they weren't quite as thorough as they might have liked.

We discovered "John" in one of the experimental labs at Akhronath. He appears to be an extension of standard golem magic, based on what the Empire was able to glean from their research into the Crystal Souls. Unfortunately, all notes on his manufacture were destroyed by Quickfire; he is literally one of a kind. When he was discovered, he was badly-damaged by that same Quickfire, and behaved erratically and violently. Fortunately, we were able to contain him until his inbuilt regenerative capabilities restored his crystalline structure, after which point he calmed down and was willing to be taken into custody.

John appears to be a "blank slate", and was unable to tell us anything about how he came to be. We estimate him to be of slightly above-average intelligence, and he is a rapid learner with an apparently perfect memory. However, he tends to be incurious and has precisely zero self-motivation: he instead will follow any order he is given unless prior orders conflict. As this represents a clear potential security problem, we have spent a great deal of time "programming" him with safeguard orders. Our testing indicates that he should make an admirable field agent and observer; the fact that we can rely on his witness testimony to be impartial and exact is an excellent bonus.

We would of course have appreciated having more time to test his capabilities and provide him with a more focused baseline training, but I understand that time presses. I do however request that we have the opportunity to inspect him from time to time during this operation.

Delilah posted:

Delilah is a well-regarded member of one of the up-and-coming religions of Exile, which flourished prior to the discovery of a way back to the surface as the refugees/prisoners/exiles of the underworld looked for some sort of light to replace the one they'd presumably never see again. She is charismatic, gentle, and a joy to be around - which has worked to her advantage her entire life, as it has been an excellent cover for her numerous illicit activities. In reality Delilah was born in one of the nastiest slums of the Empire on the surface and has been a talented thief ever since, her supposed innocence and good looks getting her out of whatever her hands have inadvertently gotten her in to. While the Empire eventually caught her during a foolhardy raid on a noble's house and sent her to Exile, the populace down below has been largely fooled by her act, allowing her to find Religion in a big way - granting her the resources and reputation a talented thief can only dream of.

Delilah is every bit the model Holy Woman in conversation, and may even believe some small part of what she says(I'll leave the specifics of the religion in question to you) - but is duplicitous to a fault. On her loneliest nights she wishes she could become the mask she has presented - but thoughts of riches tend to smother such urges pretty quickly. When she gets Serious, she takes a forceful tone, is a shrewd negotiator, and is relentless in her pursuit of wealth and/or power. Mostly it is just a question of how long the act will last...

Loc'ess posted:

Born shortly before the outbreak of the Exile-Empire War, Loc'ess spent his youth as a refugee fleeing from the Empire's atrocities. Having been granted refuge by the Exiles, and hearing stories from his elders about the Empire's handling of nonhumans, he considers himself owing a life debt to Exile. This, combined with his aptitude for the priestly arts and an uncommonly strong wanderlust led him to become a sort of traveling healer. When Upper Exile was established, "excited" did not quite do justice to his desire to move there.

After a bit of luck, paperwork, and some favors here and there, he finally got clearance to pass the portal to the caverns above. What does fate have in store for him? Only time will tell..

Tum'rrah posted:

Standing well over 6 and a half feet tall with a stocky frame, "Tom" is a brutish looking Nephilim with a sour demeanor and a penchant to hitting first and asking questions later (If the now thumped target is still breathing and lucid of course). Tom is an antithesis to most Nephalim, never being one to use darts or missile weapons, and instead prefers clubs, maces or whatever he can yank off the wall to fight with. Whether he's a bodyguard, a highwayman or a soldier, Tom has always stood out for never backing down from a fight, and rarely losing one, even with obvious broken bones and lacerations. Normally, such distinction would earn one a modest living based on experiences and reputation, but Tom has never really fit in with anyone in Avernum, as his frame and disposition lend people to leave him alone from fear or distrust. Tom only seems to fit in with other guards or vagabonds, and even then he rarely speaks unless spoken to. Eventually, Tom has closed himself away from other people and rarely trusts anyone.

Tom recently distinguished himself as a guard for a caravan that was nearly overrun by goblins, cracking several of their skulls and, after losing his club in the melee, picking up pairs of goblins and crushing their heads together. A member of the Unspecified Services recommended him to join this group as the previous two applicants had died in the ambush. Tom doesn't really know what to expect from his expedition, but if it as rough and tumble as the agent suggested, maybe he'll fit in a little better here than anywhere else in Avernum.

Arturus posted:

Arcturus was born in Exile to a merchant and has never seen the surface, but has eagerly studied the tales of the surface since he learned to walk. Expecting that Exile would return at some point, he studied everything the Tower of Magi had available about the surface - the flora and fauna, uses of various plants, and a little bit of magic. Unfortunately, all the time spent studying has ruined his sleeping habits for good and made him kind of...intense. Some would say a little too intense. It also limited his time to work on physical training, so he doesn't have strength, weapon skill or other physical attributes.

Matthias posted:

To most the idea of a mage is one who studies musty old tomes, experiments with arcane reagents and live in relative safety of tall towers. They spend their lives doing those things in a communal search for power, enlightenment or further knowledge of the arcane arts. Some are helpful and mindful of the populace. Some resent the populace for taking them away from their important work. Yet others lock themselves away to discover the secrets of magic undisturbed. To most, a Mage is powerful, secretive and concerned mostly with higher, theoretical learning.

To Matthias, a Mage is simply one who knows more about things than others.
Blessed with a keen observation and a powerful intuition Matthias found life in a Mage Tower self defeating. What is the use of knowledge if one does not use it? Soon after having this epiphany he left the tower having gleaned all the knowledge from it he could. Where other mages studied musty tomes, he studied lands, the nature and the people that dwelt within them. Where other mages experimented with arcane reagents, he experimented with natural ones. Where others found safety in secluded towers, he found safety in natural shelters. He uses practical solutions, magical or not, for practical problems. Sometimes for himself but almost always to help others in hopes that they can help him in return. Help that has so far eluded him. None have been able to help him battle the shortness of breath, the fevers, or the shaking hands that plague him every now and then. All signs of the tolling from his inner clock. One that, perhaps, ticks down faster for him.

No one knows exactly how or when Matthias came to Exile. One day he simply appeared and offered his services to the townsfolk, fitting in quite amicably be they Human, Nephilim or Slith. All found him quite willing, helpful and respectful, though strange for a mage. He did not boast nor did he complain, he simply carried out everything matter-of-factly no matter the hardships or oddities he faced. Never staying in one place for long his wanderings took him throughout the cavern systems and elsewhere until, almost as a matter of course he ended up at Fort Emergence not long after the first expedition to the surface had left.
"You'll need someone like me if you're going out there. I've seen enough to know the pattern that's taking place: change. Not for the better either."

"Ni'aurrl posted:

Ask too many questions, get sent to the sages. Ask too many questions of the Sages, and they just may keep you. Ni'aurrl fit the saying, and has been rigorously trained since she was a kit. When the Nephilim diplomats heard of the joint venture to the Surface, they jumped at the opportunity to see Home again; they sent word to the Sages, and the Sages sent her - barely an adult, calmed down enough to hunt without sound, but still a flurry of questions. The Sages have drilled her relentlessly on their surface territories, and she is keen to scout, see what has become of them, if new grounds can be acquired for their people.

Neril is eager to see, to learn, and to bring word back to her people. Prone to bursting out with questions, talking too much (too quickly), asking rapid fire questions, but has enough hunter's sense to know when to be quiet and stealthy - even if the prey is knowledge, not a living creature. She is trained to observe, to deduce and learn; these are shared by both mages and hunters, and she is a blooded huntress (rite of passage to adulthood) as well as an up-and-coming mage for the Nephilim.

She's well-read, knows some of Art's doings (what was available to public and Nephilim sources), and oh the questions she has. Not quite hero-worship, but definitely respect and excitement to get at all Art's history - especially as Art's connections to the Surface and Empire start becoming evident.

And she will (re)invent sunglasses upon seeing the Surface at high noon, because ouch that's bright. (Or wear a broad-brimmed hat, but that's less exciting.)

Dalmek posted:

Dalmek had the talent and inherent magical ability to have been a really fantastic mage, but circumstances never lined up. When he should have been studying to get into the Tower of Magi, the war broke out against the Empire and he chose to enlist in the infrantry. The war was over by the time he finished his actual training so he tried to apply to the Tower of Magi -- he failed the year of silence twice, both times yelling out of frustration. He had no real interest in magical theory and was more interested in combat applications, but found that beyond a few cantrips he picked up by natural talent, he realized it was usually faster to beat his problem to death with a giant stick.

He finally found a niche in studying Alchemy, but was expelled for cooking and selling drugs out of the Tower's laboratory. Since then, he's been wandering across Exile working every odd job you can think of; he's been a lab assistant, a bouncer, an exterminator, a cook, etc etc. He found his way onto the roster for Unspecified Services by accident - an agent of the Service was at a tavern and was impressed by how quickly Dalmek beat a half-dozen bar fighters into submission with a chair.

Sk'rrrrrrl posted:

Karl was a wild child, born to bandits and living outside civilization most of his life. He claims to have been recently exiled for banditry and that largely shuts people up about the specifics.

Which is a good thing, because he was never actually exiled at all. He was off hunting one day and returned to find an advance scouting party from Exile had wiped out the lair of his current group, so he tracked them back to their point of egress and snuck in. Not for revenge, just figuring he'd probably be safer on the side with more weapons. Karl has ridiculously cavalier attitudes about theft and murder, which are actually kind of an asset in Unspecified Services, or at least not as much of a liability.

Bendan posted:

Bendan was ten years old when he was exiled, not that long before Art's group was sent down. Young, but more than old enough to remember those events. His parents were outspoken and relatively popular pro-free market, anti-noble cronyism advocates from near the center of the Empire. They didn't get exiled. They just disappeared one night. Bendan tried to raise a fuss among their supporters to find them, but was met with frightened disinterest. He was branded an urchin and thrown into Exile. Now 19, he has a major chip on his shoulder towards the surface. He's a scrappy kid in general, and a brutal fighter, but when it comes to helping the surface, he would rather show them the indifference he remembers from his childhood. This will sometimes bring him into conflict with Art, though he's focused enough to kill the enemy first and argue with her later. This argumentative nature leads the other members of the party to "take advantage" of his Exceptional Strength to make him carry all the stuff.

Over time on the surface, he should mellow out and remember that the people there are just people, for the most part. He's a decent guy at heart. He will grow to see Art as more of a mentor, or possibly surrogate parent (with the occasional comment that she's more than old enough to be his mother). He may even eventually admit that his parents would have liked to live in Valorim (If that's true. I don't really know the social situation out there). However, he may occasionally have to bite his tongue and rant later when encountering corrupt or self-serving individuals. Also, though there may not be a good opportunity for this, at some point, maybe the team encounters a noble or corrupt judge or whatever, possibly connected to his family's disappearance. He has no evidence, but he'll be quick to point out that if a person is the kind of corrupt that leads them to make people vanish into thin air, they'll keep doing that sort of thing until someone ends them.

Sasserithrasix posted:

Sasserithrasix is a happy-go-lucky Slith with a hippy streak. He is also the poster-child for why practice and commitment trump natural talent. While he had the potential to become a great fighter or a great mage, his lack of discipline and inability to focus on any one thing for long left him skilled, but far short of his more committed peers. As he nears middle age, it seems clear to him that it's too late to live up to what he expected to accomplish when he was young. He has wandered Avernum performing a variety of combat related jobs, but because of his mixed skill set, intelligence (very smart, though perhaps not quite so much as he makes himself out to be) and general attitude, he naturally gravitated towards unspecified services.

In terms of personality, he generally takes things as they come and tends to find the behavior of most intelligent creatures to be absurd, that of the sliths very nearly as much so as that of humans or nephilim. He comes across as not very serious, but kind, intelligent and invested doing the right thing, as long as it's not too much trouble. But behind his cheerful disposition, somewhat lackadaisical attitude and good-natured ribbing, people who know him see flashes of self-abasement, resentment and bitterness. He has a surprisingly short temper and when he erupts in a burst of vitriol, the veil shading his disappointment in himself and his life becomes very thin. He also has hates authority, often unfairly so, probably because it reminds him of what he sees as his own failure. This means he will be fascinated by Art, like her very much, and also resent her, occasionally bursting out into a mostly ungrounded tirade about how she's screwing up.

In spite of this, his outward appearance mostly reflects the reality of his character. He really does believe and follow a philosophy of appreciating the simple and constant beauty of life and typically manages to enjoy each moment. He has the wisdom to perceive when others, and occasionally even he himself, are being ridiculous and always takes genuine, but not mean-spirited amusement in pointing it out.

Bronwyn posted:

They might not have been lofty heights, but they were hers. Story of her life, really. Was third in command of a fairly lucrative merchant troupe - right up until her boss annoyed the wrong Empire official. By then, shipping people off to Exile was a non-option - that particular punishment having died with Hawthorne - so they'd gone for something more severe, to 'make an example'. Execution, and confiscation of everything the troupe owned. Thanks to that 'reasonable' option being gone, everything was torn apart.

So her life was ruined. Fine. She could rebuild. Legally, not so much - but the law wasn't on her side to begin with. So she found her way to the shadier side of business, eventually signing on with a bandit gang. Knowledge of how caravans ran, of how valuable goods could be...well, that made her command material.

So she got better. Learned to fight, got practised at ambushing, and worked her way up to sub-commander of a fairly hefty bandit troupe. Thugs under her command - brutal sorts who'd backstab her as easily as anything. Fine - she never expected loyalty, the world was a brutal enough place. And they got a bit big, and needed a place to hide out from Empire patrols...so they started building a fort, and 'Blue' near the top of its pecking order.

Not exactly lofty heights, but they were hers. Right up until there was an accident, or maybe a betrayal - she'd been checking on an outer wall, a catwalk collapsed, and she fell into the abyss.

Filthy caves. Filled with monsters. A hard woman could find a way to endure, but swords dull, armour breaks...and when a bedraggled woman hit her limit, she finally found other people.

For loose definitions of 'people'. Exiles. So she was swept up, because Unspecified Services would just love to hear about the current state of the surface world - and she'd travelled enough as a merchant-turned-bandit to know a little bit about a lot of things. Was 'recommended' to sign up with Unspecified Services, because monster-infested caverns are a hard thing to survive alone...

She's bitter. Over the Exiles' role in the turmoil of the last decade. Over her supposed comrades effectively stabbing her in the back. Over how a pretty good life has fallen apart twice now...but fine.

She can come out on top again.

And these are your 14 potential PCs! As stated earlier, everyone gets four votes from +4 to +1 indicating how much you love that PC. And, because there is so much competition for the 5 slots, I will give everyone two -1 Votes to work with as well. You can use them on different PCs, the same one, or none at all!

Voting will last until Midnight, Sunday 13 March 2016, at which time I will tally the votes, and announce the winners, with the next update to follow soon after.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 11, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

LuffyVeggies posted:

So with you now covering the third game, I couldn't resist - I finally made a forum account to follow along with it the whole way. Unfortunately, I'm a little too late to submit a character, but he didn't have a developed-enough backstory anyways. I still plan to follow along!

Welcome to SA, lowtax appreciates your donation to his money bin, I'm sure. ;)

And thanks for joining us. I'm glad my ability to retain copies of old games has inspired some people.

However, I am disappointed. I don't see votes for characters. :colbert:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

To be clear, though: we get a total of 4 +1 votes, that we can allocate in any fashion, right? So like +4 to a single PC or +1 to 4 different PCs, etc?

Krumbsthumbs posted:

+1 to John, "Tom", Ni'aurrl and Sass

Bob Locke posted:

+1 John, +1 Blue, +2 Sk'rrrrrrl

Calamitous_Justice posted:

+1 to N'iaaurl, Matthias, Delilah, and Blue.

Just like last time, it's +4/+3/+2/+1/(-1/-1). Please clarify your voting!

Montegoraon posted:

So, it's odd that berryjon wasn't able to spec my character the way I wrote out. I went into the game and created a character exactly like that. It seems the pre-made characters the creation screen defaults to have more skill points than a character you create regularly. Significantly more.

Yep. Pre-built characters have more starting Skill Points to make up for sub-optimal point distribution. I did as best I could with 60 Skill Points.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 11, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

How in the heavens did I not notice this LP for so long? At least I found it in time for the voting! Now, down to voting:

Tum'rrah +2: His skills should make him a decent tank if his HP gets a boost, plus it won't be strange if he doesn't talk much out of fights.

Neril +2: Hard to say how a character with a history like her would act (or develop), but we need a mage and her skills seem workable.

Bendan +4: Including character who causes a bit of friction within the party isn't a bad idea; more importantly, he isn't made entirely of tissue paper.

Sk'rrrrrrl +4: He's made of tissue, but since nobody seems to have made someone with both lockpick/trap and a solid weapon, this guy is probably the best choice for developing into the "thief" archtype. It's also nice to have a pair of The Ne'er-do-Weels to play off/support each other, as well as justify why people don't like the party. I also honestly don't know if mixing melee with archery is good or bad, and kind of look forward to finding out.

1, 2, 3, 4, not 2, 2, 4, 4 please!

And without his votes, here are the current standings:
code:
Drej		|        1   4           1 - | 5
Nista		|              -           4 | 3
John		|4 1 3     1     2   1   4   |16*
Delilah		|    1 3 3 3   1 1 2 -     3 |16*
Loc'ess		|                      1     | 1
Tum'rrah	|  3           3         2   | 8
Arcturus	|1                           | 1
Matthias	|      2 4 2 3 2   4 2       |19*
Ni'aurrl	|2 4   1         3   - 4     |13+
Dalmek		|                4           | 4
Sk'rrrrrl	|    4         -   1 4     - | 7
Bendan		|        - 4           3   1 | 7
Sass		|  2     2   2 4   3         |13+
Bronwyn		|3   2 4 -   1       3 2 3 2 |19*
Right now, John, Delilah, Matthias and Bronwyn are all in the party, with Ni'aurrl and Sass fighting it out for the last slot.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 12, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

For what it's worth, Character development is a thing, and I will gladly enforce it to tell a good story.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

10 hours left for people to put in last minute votes!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TheJimTimMan posted:

I've never gotten very far into any of Vogel's games, making these LPs an absolute treat to read through. Thank you for taking the time, berryjon!

Thanks! Don't forget to check out TooMuchAbstraction's Avernum LP while you're here.

As for the voting, here are my tallies:
code:
Drej     |        1   4      =    1 -            =       | 5
Nista    |              -    =      4 -   -      =       | 1
John     |4 1 3     1     2  =1   4       1 - -  =2 3 -  |19
Delilah  |    1 3 3 3   1 1 2=-     3 - 1       4=- 1 1 1|22*
Loc'ess  |                   =  1             3  =       | 4
Tum'rrah |  3           3    =    2   1          =       | 9
Arcturus |1                  =          3        =       | 4
Matthias |      2 4 2 3 2   4=2           2 3 2 2=1     2|31*
Ni'aurrl |2 4   1         3  =- 4     2 2 4 2 1 3=4 2 3 3|39*
Dalmek   |                4  =                   =       | 4
Sk'rrrrrl|    4         -   1=4     - 4 4        =  -    |14
Bendan   |        - 4        =  3   1 3   4      =       |14
Sass     |  2     2   2 4   3=              1 4 1=3 4 2 4|32*
Bronwyn  |3   2 4 -   1      =3 2 3 2     3 - -  =- - 4  |22*
The top three had very strong finishes, while the competition for the last two spots got quite fierce. But, in the end, the final party will consist of Art, Delilah, Matthias, Ni'aurrl, Sass, and Bronwyn!

I'll get the next update worked on over the next couple days.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Having recorded the next update, I can say this -

Art is (currently) the only person with Priest 3. Cure Disease is Priest 3.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 03 – The Party and the Portal Town

“So,” Anaximander asked as he entered the small study, “have you made your decisions?”

Art handed back five portfolios. “These ones are the best of the lot. Some of them just wouldn't cut it, and others...” She shook her head. “Yeah, I think you need to look over these and figure out what was going on that they even reached my hands.”

“I'll do that,” the head of Unspecified Services agreed. “Your chosen team will be arriving at the Portal Fort as soon as they arrive. Until then, please rest and do review what little we know about the Surface. We have a scried map of the local region for starters.”

“Thanks.”

“Well, that was.. strange.”

“You call it strange. I call it our will applied to the natural world.”

“Can we do that again!?”

“No, thank you. You can't trust portals. You never know what's on the other side.”

“Well, that's not always true. More advanced and intricate portal types do allow for visual observation of the other side, thanks to Peregrine's advancements in event-horizon stability.”

“I understood, maybe three words of that.”

“Hey there! I'm Sasserithrasix! Call me Sass!”

A neatly dressed mage stands between you and the towering pillar of energy that is the surface portal. She holds a thick notebook. The energy of the portal makes her hair stand almost straight up. "Welcome, adventurers. I am Seles, overseer of the portal."

“Oh, where did we put that...? Ah! Here we go!” He hands over a token to Seres. “Our travel permission. I'm sorry, I didn't catch your position here.”

"My title is Portal Overseer. I look after and steer those emerging and when someone wants to use it, it is I they must give their request to, and I who gives permission."

“You oversee the Portal? But I thought that it was controlled from the Tower?”

“You're right. But not quite. It's a tricky job. So many want to use the portal, for so many reasons. Do you wish to request permission to use it?"

“Really? We just arrived. Why would we just turn around and go back?”

“Sorry, it's just one of those rote responses I give. I authorize portal transport back to Exile, and it's mostly bulk farming goods from around New Cotra, or military movements. Those are planned well in advance, and usually I just step aside for it. I deal with the specific and unusual cases, like people visiting family and the like.”

“That's... rational.”

“I know. It's almost like I know what I'm doing. Now, go on, I've got other transits to check out, and you're standing in the way.”

“Of course.”

“It occurs to me that I only just met the rest of you.”

“True. I suppose you want us all to introduce ourselves?”

“Me firssst! I'm Sass!”

“Really? You just jump in with that?”

“Why not?”

“At least give consideration to the other people who might want to speak.”

“I guess that means you're next, Ma'am.”

“...”

“I am Delilah of the Church of Joy, where we spread happiness to all!”

“Ni'aurrl, Sage.”

“Fine. Bronwyn. Sometimes called 'Blue'. Former merchant.”

“What an odd group we make. I know I volunteered for Unspecified Services, but I never expected a field assignment.”

“Perhaps it is not one? I mean, we could be forward deployed, but to a safe location.”

“If that were true, Sass and I wouldn't be here.”

“Where would I be then?”

“Spreading your own brand of happiness wherever you are!”

“Awesome!”

“Well, according to the orders we all got at the Tower, we are to travel east from here and to Fort Emergence, where will meet up with Anaximander, have our sixth member join us, and from there the orders are open ended.”

“Read them again. You have it backwards.”

“Whatever do you mean?”

“Hrmmm.... I think she's referring to the phrasing. The orders here indicate that we are to join up with the sixth member, and not the other way around.”

“Let me see. Ah. Yes. I understand now. You're right. Thank you Bronwyn.”

“If that's all taken care of, shall we go?”

“Not yet! Thiz iz a new town! We have to follow the protocols, and talk to everyone!”

“Hah! He's right. Proper information gathering techniques are vital to our well-being and our training. We should split up then!”

“Of course! I'm off!”

“Ssee you!”

“I too, shall take my leave.”

“You better go too, Blue.”

“... This is stupid. How can an organization run like this?”

“Ah, silence.”

“How many people read that sign, I wonder? Though it does help. I should make a connection with the local military, in case such things will help with our new assignment.”

“Hello there!”

This is an archer of Exile, polishing a fine yew bow with practiced fingers. His armor bears the insignia of a captain, and his face bears the expression of someone who'd rather be somewhere else.

“Good afternoon, I am Matthias, just come up from the Tower.”

He nods brusquely. "Captain Jake."

“Greetings again, Captain. If I may, what are you doing here?”

He seems irritated at the interruption. "Going to Fort Emergence."

“What luck! My group and I are headed there myself. What do you know about the Fort?”

“Not much. It's designed more to withstand attacks from the surface. I'm going there to serve again under old, dear Commander Johnson."

Commander Johnson? I'm afraid that I don't know that man. Is it a good fit?”

He looks to make sure nobody is listening. "Well, I can tell you because you're Unspecified Services and won't count for spit in the end. I've served under that vile old bastard before, in Fort Duvno. He's vicious and cruel, from his hair to his toes."

Uh... what? Let me check the previous LPs for this characterization....

Well, what do you know. He was a racist rear end in a top hat back in Exile 1, yet seemed to have mellowed out a bit during Exile 2.

“Ah, Duvno. North of Fort Exile, right?”

"Little town in Exile. What does it matter?"

“Not much, I admit. Tell me, are you concerned about Johnson's viciousness and cruelty?”

"Mark my words. They can make all the pretty words they want about our meeting the Empire and talking to them and coexisting on the surface, or whatever. But he's in charge at the Fort, and the fort is where all the big decisions are made. Remember that. This'll all end in blood. Lot's of it." With that, he turns away.

“Cheery fellow. I wonder how the others are doing?”

“Hello there! I've been trying to track down my coworkers. Have you seen a group of people poking their noses into things they shouldn't be?”

A young mage sits before you, reading a scroll. She looks irritated at your intrusion. "I'm Denise. Leave me alone."

“Now now, that is no reason to be rude.”

"Look, what do I have to say or do to get some studying time alone? As if I didn't already have enough problems."

“If you're feeling grouchy and irritable, perhaps you should consider taking a break from your studying and relax?”

"Yeah, studying time! You don't think everyone gains magical abilities by killing monsters, do you?"

“If you are referring to the notion that practical exercise of spells allows for the development of power, then yes, killing through magic is a legitimate choice, especially if you're in the army.”

“Well, Some of us don't want to go around butchering poor creatures all the time. We get our skill through good, honest work. So buzz off!"

“I accept your point as reasonable. Now, about your problems? Surely it is not in the manner of ones practice?”

She slams her book shut in anger, but not anger at you. "I left an amulet down in the Tower of Magi, a valuable focusing aid! They rushed me along to come up here, and I forgot it! Now that bureaucrat Seles won't let me retrieve it, and I can't go on to my post without it!"

“Is it a valuable amulet?”

She perks up. "Wait! I've heard of you! Can you get to the tower? If you can bring me back my amulet from the Tower of Magi, I'll make it worth your while!”

“Perhaps. What is your post, so I can explain it?”

"Look, I'm Unspecified Services, like you. I can't talk about it. Come to think of it, I probably shouldn't talk to you!"

“And I presume then, that you are limited in your ability to go back, just as we are. But, very well, I shall see to it if I return to the Tower before you.”

“Oh! Hey!”

This is a very tall, dignified woman, her face and short dark hair starting to bear the signs of middle age. She is currently grinding up some herbs and roots. She stands to greet you. "I am Carol, of the Hamer Clan."

“Ni'aurrl, Sage of the Nephil. What are you doing?”

She indicates the herbs and poultices that surround her. "I am a healer, brought near the surface to exert my skills."

“Oh, nice! What do you charge for healing?”

The shop interface overlays the dialogue box in this game, rather than popping out a new window like it did in the old games. But, as no one is sick (yet), it is empty.

“Your skills seem very good. But why would you be desired up here, in Upper Exile?”

"I was brought here to heal the soldiers who may be hurt in upcoming battles. We all hope such battles may be averted, of course. But, well, it's best to be prepared."
“So, you were brought up here. Did you not volunteer?”

"My husband and I were brought up here to serve here. The work is hard, but satisfying. I am only a little disappointed."

“I can understand disappointment.”

She sighs. "I did so want to see the surface, and not be cooped up in yet another cave. Oh well. I believe, if I'm patient, I may yet emerge above ground."

“I'll let you know what it looks like when I can. Out of curiosity, who is your husband?”

"My husband Tor looks after supplies." She smiles. "It's what he does best."

“Oh! There you are. How's things?”

“Good. Matthias, Carol. Carol, Matthias.”

“Pleasure.”

“Cows, cows, cows.”

“Why were you shooting the lizards?”

“We got orders due to an infection found in the herd, Ma'am.”

“Oh. That's sad.”

“I agree, but we have to keep the herds secure for a couple weeks after moving them up here in case of infections or the like.”

“Thank you for your time. Have a joyful day!”

You meet a small, heavily muscled man with dark skin and a quick eye. He wears all black and has an outlandish hat and a wicked sword. He bows sharply. "I am Julio, traveller."

“Delilah, Priestess of the Church of Joy. What do you do?”

"I am an explorer. I make maps, that sort of thing."

“Oh? You do? Where have you explored?”

"I travelled from one end of Exile to the other, don't you know, looking for a route to the surface. I swore an oath, you see."

“But I thought that the Duncan Maps indicated the five potential exits from Exile.”

“They do, but those maps are a decade old! I want more! Such is my oath.”

“Well, as a Holy Woman, I must ask – what is your oath?”

"A sacred oath! I promised I would never rest until I saw the light of day again. Good, honest sunlight. And it looks like I'll finally get the chance, even if I have to sneak through Fort Emergence to do it!"

“Well, I am headed to Fort Emergence soon.”

“You are? They aren't letting anyone out until they know it's safe. Well, hell with that! I've been in prison down here for long enough. If I die, fine. I can deal with that."

"But drat it, I'll die in the sun.”

“Be that as it may, tell me more about your maps.”

"You probably have one of my maps. I'm the one who mapped out these caves up here. I also made the only map we have of the area above. We haven't even been up there, but we have a map. Bet you're wondering how we did that!"

“Magic.”

"Magic! A mage managed to give me a split second magical view of the land above Fort Emergence from way, way up. From that, I made the map! Pretty amazing, huh?"

“Yes. It is. I hope you get your wish soon! Have a happy day!”

“You too!”

“Wow! So much stuff!”

“Ah, looks like we're not allowed in here.”

“HEY!”

“No touching.”

If you try to take something that is labelled “Not yours”, and someone sees you, the town becomes hostile as you're a thief. So don't do it!

“That was boring. There has to be something else around here that's interesting.”

“Ewwww!”

“And not allowed in here either. Boring! Where is there anything exciting happening?”

“Administration?”

“It means our bosses.”

“AH! When did you get here?”

“I was just leaving actually.”

“You were?”

“No, dummy. Really, do you believe everything everyone tells you?”

“Why shouldn't I?”

“... Just... Just follow me, and don't speak unless spoken too, alright?”

“Right!”

“Oh, this takes me back.”

You meet a professional looking mage in well trimmed clothes. Traces of Gray are starting to appear in his hair. He walks up and formally greets you. "I am Kelner, chief administrator of the Portal Fortress. You must be our new arrivals for the Services."

“I”m Bronwyn. This is Sass. We are Unspecified Services. What do you do here?”

He waves at his surroundings. "I coordinate all comings and goings for the Portal Fortress. It's sort of a promotion from my Tower of Magi post."

“I thought Seles controlled the Portal?”

"Yes she does indicate who can or cannot use passage through which Exiles come to the surface, and through which we sometimes return."

“You know, that sounds a bit suspicious. Why is there such a restriction on returning to Exile?”

“There are... health concerns, you see. Sometimes people can return. You should speak with Seles. She's by the Portal. She coordinates all of that."

“Yeah, that's not going to happen. Ever. So, change of subject! You mentioned you used to work in the Tower of Magi?”

"Indeed! I spent most of my magical career there, first in training, and then as administrator. I finally got transferred up here, much to my relief."

“How is this relief?”

"Once, years ago, a mage named Linda performed certain very dark experiments. I trained there at the time, and was able to help some adventurers purge the evil she brought. Later, when I was administrator there, Linda returned and I sense that old habits were starting to return. So I pulled strings and came here. It was not a situation I wanted to deal with anymore."

“So you chose being an Administrator instead. Yeah, that's reasonable.”

"Very true. It is a fancy way of saying that I run the place, but all the military mucky-mucks still get to boss me around."

“Um, you do realize that we're those self-same mucky-mucks, right?”

"Sorry. No offence?"

“None taken.”

“Bronwyn, these guys aren't talking to me!”

Instead of having NPCs have generic lines, now the game can be toggled to prevent you from speaking with someone at all.

“Well, stop bothering them!”

“Oooh! Neat! I'm going to read those!”

“You do that, I see someone over there to talk to.”

“What, no mention of Art-Iktah? Boring!”

“Who cares about Dragons? We're going to the Surface!”

“Bo-ring!”

“Oh thank goodness, I'm away from him.”

“Really?” You meet a short, portly man with short blonde hair. His fingers are stained with ink, and it looks like he has several pen cases in his pockets. He holds a pen in his hand now, with an unusual rainbow design on it. “I am Walner, the Sage."

“Bronwyn. Merchant. And working for Unspecified Services.”

“Oh joy, you guys. Me? Well, as soon as I heard about the surface portal, I came here to see what the fuss was about. Sages are always welcome whatever they go. And while I wait, I study in the library."

“You mean the library where a certain Slith is reading?”

“Yes. That library was set up as a sort of briefing area for mages arriving here, to sort of summarize what we know and what we've found. Be sure to look at some of the books ... some of them are sure to be interesting."

“Sure. Later. So, uh, neat pen you got there. Hard to find rainbow colours like that. Not to mention how few people know what that is.”

"He holds up the rainbow pen. "Oh, this? Call it a symbol of pride." He smiles enigmatically.

We know from previous games that the Empire considered “sexual abnormality” to be an Exile-able offense. Though this is the first time that Walner has been implicated as one of them – the usual examples were Nancy and Elspeth from the the Cotra area. I am also pointing this out because of a little detail later.

“Uh.. you know... never mind. So, you're a sage. Anything interesting about that?”

"People of learning and magic are needed up here more than anything. For example, I am an alchemist of some skill."

Alchemy is always good.”

"Yes, indeed. And my secrets are for sale. For example, I know an excellent, very old recipe for curing potions using Holly. Holly is a surface plant, but since you can go up there, you may be able to find some. I can also teach you a recipe for healing potions using good old Comfrey Root. Let me know if you'd like to purchase either recipe."

Once again, Alchemy is not something I like. Except there are now *3* reasons to use it in this game, rather than 2.

“I'm bored. Oh hey! You look interesting!”

You meet an aging, grizzled old veteran. He walks carelessly through the fort, appraising supplies, soldiers, walls and everything else with a long practiced eye. He extends a callused hand. "Call me Tor."

“Call me Sass!”

“Really?” He chuckles. “So, just arrived?”

“Yep! And walking around because the books were dumb.”

“Hah! Not something I hear often. As for me me, supplies are my life."

"Well, half of my life. Carol's the other half."

“Who's Carol?”

"My wife. She's a healer, and a fine one at that. She's up here with me. If she wasn't, well, I wouldn't be here neither."

“And you deal with supplies? That seems kinda... boring.”

He grins proudly. "Yep. Farmed for a while, but looking after goods is something I've always had a knack for."

Goods? But what about Supplies?”

"Well, you're too young to remember, but once I gave supplies to every single person who entered Exile. They teleported down, and I gave'em a knife and some food to get'em by until they found work. And this is good work too. Really appropriate, I mean."

“I'm Slithzerikai. I'm native to the Caves!”

“You're right. Sorry. To all us humans who came down. Still, really appropriate.”

"Well, once I gave supplies to everyone who came down from the surface. Now I take care of goods for everyone comin' up! Symmetry, ya'know?"

“A bit, yeah.”

“SASS! GET BACK HERE!”

“Excuse me. Gotta go.”

“Take care.”

“Well, are we all back?”

“It seems that way.”

“So, what next?”

:zombie: “ugh...”

“Are you alright?”

“Yeah, I am. Just a bit of the flu, or something.”

“You must be careful! They had to cull a bunch of lizards earlier due to a disease!”

“We should have you talk to Carol. She can heal you!”

I don't, for ~reasons~.

“I'll be fine. Come on though, there was something that caught my eye.”

“This caught your eye?”

“Hey, how about we do the smart thing and turn around?”

“Where's your sense of adventure?”

“Hiding under my pillow.”

“NO PRESSING THE BUTTON! WE WILL NEVER PRESS THE BUTTON!”

“Spoilsport.”

“So, that's everything. What next?”

“We head for Fort Emergence!”

“Eastward-ho!”

“That is a very fast 15 miles.”

“Get them!”

Welcome to combat! The big change is that everyone moves individually, and the changes to the command bar at the bottom.

Just like previous games, everyone starts out with 4 AP, or “Action Points”. Moving a tile costs a point, attacking costs 4. Casting a Priest Spell costs 5, a Mage Spell 6. If you don't have enough AP to complete the action, you use all your AP, and the action happens. The character's turn ends when they run out of AP, and combat goes in a “You then Enemy then you” type deal.

After the first turn of combat, Sass has taken some damage, knocking him down to 0 HP. Having 0 HP is a safety catch for PCs, as even if you have 1 HP, and take 30 damage, you are reduced to 0 HP instead. Only one you are at 0HP can further damage kill you.

Natrually, there are creatures that can attack the same target multiple times in a turn.

“Let's finish this!”

Oh, Fireball. You make everything better.

When you're casting a spell on the map like this, you will see a nice line from the caster to the target, as well as the area of effect for it. And exploiting the enemy AI to set up things like this is always fun.

“Yeah, nice flop there. Killed a wolf.”

Huh. That's new. Goblin Warriors can now add Poison, which is a damage-over-time effect to whomever has it. It comes in two degrees, where if the “P” is red, it deals more damage, faster.

“Well, that was fun. Let's not do that again.”

“Agreed!”

“Never been to New Cotra.”

“Let's go there instead!”

“No.”

“The warning about the Goblins could have been made sooner.”

“Well, here we are. Fort Emergence. Let's go meet the boss, and our last team member.”

“I wonder who it is?”

“Probably some nobody or paper pusher we'll have to escort around the surface.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 17, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Xander77 posted:

There's probably more, but I kinda grew tired of the "character speech quirk, grammar error or English as a third language" game halfway through.

The stuff you've pointed out has been fix'd.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Doing the Portal Fort now with the new guys gave me a chance to introduce them all on their own terms before adding Art to the mix, as well as covering the town itself.

Next updates will be the two dungeons, then onto the surface!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Montegoraon posted:

...You didn't push the button? Well what the hell does it do?

Incidentally, do curing potions heal disease? If so, then picking up that recipe might be a good idea after all. By the looks of things, the effects of Chronic Disease are not trivial...

The Button is a PLOT Button actually and will get pressed when the time is right. I took the opportunity to show how Bronwyn thinks in regards to poking things.

I'm checking on the Cure Potion...

Alright, the Curing Potion does not remove Disease - It deals with Poison. Rather, the Cleansing Powder cures Diseases.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Intentional, or is something missing?

Added 'Unspecified Services' after that.

LuffyVeggies posted:

First, I noticed you couldn't get the custom image for Matthias. Were you unable to find a way to get that in?
Secondly, also relating to Matthias, I noticed the Chronic Disease effects. Jeez, I had heard about how bad a trait it really was, but I didn't know it was THAT bad. I thought it would be like, two diseases a day at most. That seems to be like one every ten steps. Also, I noticed it vanishing between screenshots - how did you cure it between them without Art in the party?

I made a copy of the PC pics file and edited one, but not the one the game was drawing from. It'll be fixed next update with a comment about him putting his hat on. As for the disease, I was letting it get bad deliberately as for the purposes of the actual save file I'm working with, it never happened. Chronic Disease is mechanically the same as having a Bar of Uranium permanently in your inventory (without actually taking up an inventory slot). I cured it by cheating through the editor. Once the party is together properly, that option is off the table.

quote:

Also, I'm actually very interested in how you started from the Portal Fortress without Art. I suppose you started a new game, created all the party members except for Art, then moved everyone else into position, and then you plan to recreate Art when you get to Fort Emergence, but that seems like a lot of effort.
Correct! Though I'm actually going to be starting a third game with the whole team of PCs fresh in Fort Emergence to reset the XP and date. And no effort is too big for my LPs! ;)

quote:

Ghikra

Don't worry, I'll get around to it eventually. Art can't delay things forever!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Chapter 04 – The Goblin Fort

"Let's see, we should ask around for where Anaximander is. And if we're meeting our boss, I should put on my hat now."

“You have a hat.”

“Yes! Isn't it dapper?”

“Not the word I would use.”

“So, who should we ask about Anaximander?”

"One of the guards should know."

"I don't think so. Did you see the looks they were giving us?"

"And this place doesn't seem so friendly as to let us wander around."

"Hey, we could ask her!"

"Who? Me?"

"Yesss! We're here to find Anaximander!"

"Uh... you wouldn't happen to be the group from Unspecified Services, would you?"

"Yes, we are."

"I'm Matthias. This is Delilah, Ni'arrrul"
"Ni'aurrl"
"That's what I said, Sass and Bronwyn. If I may, who are you?"

"Art, Unspecified Services."

:aaa:

"Ah! It seems like the Services has a large presence here in Upper Exile. What is it that you do, exatly?"

"Oh, a little bit of this and that. I primarily deal with recon with a side of diplomacy and wetwork when needed. You know, just an ordinary day for Unspecified Services."

"Ah, then I suppose you will be told about the things we learn about on the Surface?"

"That's the plan on some level I'm sure." She shakes her head at the absurdity of it all.

"And diplomacy? Surely someone specialized in recon would be an ill fit for that."

"Don't be so sure. When you have traveled on the edge of the known world, being able to sweet talk your way into and out of problems is a vital skill. Just ask the Vahnatai."

:aaa:

"Uh... Sass?"

"Yess, I saw those wave blades at your side. Have you spent time in the Vahnatai Lands?"

"Yep. I was part of the first official delegation to meet them, and through some effort, wound up with these." She taps the blades fondly. “Good times those were.”

“Now I really don't want to know about what you define as wetwork.”

She laughs. “Eh, it's been years. I'm getting old and slow and people want me more for my mind and wit than my ability to carve through small armies.” She pauses to think about it. “Actually, when was the last time I did that? Has to be years ago...”

:aaaaa:

“Sass! Snap out of it!”

“It's you! You! Her! I've seen your statue!

“Uh... Statue?”

“In Gnass! The one put up by Arrth-Tsss! Although it's bigger. I thought you were bigger! Oh, it's such a pleasure to meet you!”

“Oh great. Another Slith fan. You're worse than the Vahnatai, you know that, right?”

“Um, could someone clear this up for me?”

“It's her! You know! Art!”

“Look, the only Art of importance is the Assassin of Hawthorne and Garzahd. And there's no way that... any... one.... ...”

“Oh.”

“Hey! Nice to meet someone who agrees that my reputation is ill founded and blown completely out of proportion. It's all true though.”

“Ma'am!”

“Relax. So, you're the team I picked.”

“I GOT PICKED BY ART!”

“Shut up!”

“Wait. You picked us as a team?”

“Yep. Alright, grab a seat boys and girls, it's story time.”

“I am certain I'm older than you.”

“You might be. Still going to explain things.”

“Alright, here's the problem. Behind me is the only known and secured exit from Exile to the Surface. There have been others, but the Empire has collapsed them, so we'd rather not lose this one too. A couple weeks ago, a scouting party was sent out consisting of four experienced Services Operatives. Naturally, they fail to report in or come back.”

“So, the higher ups panic. They recall me. And tell me to pick a team to go up there and find out what has gone wrong with, well, everything. I get handed a whole bunch of files, and you were the best I could get on short notice.”

“Wow! Thisss is going to be so much fun!”

“....”

“Yes, even you. For that reason.”

“Fine.”

“That's all well and good, but what?

“No! This will be great! We get to ask questions no one else has ever asked before!”

“But! Before we do that, I want to deal with two lizards with one stone. We need to start to learn to work together as a team, and there's a couple dangerous places to the North that need dealing with.”

“Such as?”

“There's a Goblin Warren, and a Bandit Fort that need to be addressed.”

“Well, we were attacked by Goblins on the way here.”

“Good! We go harass that place, and use it to build some sort of working routine. But first, gear. It's not a lot, but there's a storeroom to the west set aside for our use. Come on.”

“Everyone gear up. I've just got to run and get a map.”

“Of course.”

“Actual gear? Amazing.”

“Oh, don't be so dramatic. This is AMAZING!

“And against the racial stereo types of everyone ever, I am not using a bow.”

“I do!”

“Ah, here we go.”

“You know, I'm surprised that there is enough of an economic impetus to have organized banditry in Upper Exile.”

“And the two maps that Anaximander gave me.”

“Right, let's get back and check in on everyone.”

“Ah, having heavy armor to protect me is such a good thing!”

“And we're all ready.”

“Good!”

“Not going out yet?”

“Not yet. Have to get practice first, remember?”

While you could run out with your Level 1 party, I don't recommend it. The Goblins and Bandits are there for a reason.

:barf:

“Hey, you alright?”

“I will be. Just old age catching up to me, I think.”

“Well, hold on, let me help.” :catholic:

“That must be more than old age if it's resilient like that.”

There's been a bit of talk about Chronic Illness in the thread, so I want to make some official comments here. Chronic Illness effectively gives the character in question a hidden Bar of Uranium in their inventory. This causes them to become diseased on a semi-regular basis, either one or two-stepped as the case may be.

Disease is a status that does nothing by itself. However, it can generate a new negative effect fairly quickly while the PC is under its effects. Here's the total list:
  • Poison (Damage over time)
  • Curse (Reduced combat effectiveness)
  • Slow (Less actions in combat)
  • Dumbfounding (reduces maximum Spell level)
  • No Effect (YAY!)
  • Drain (Loss of Experience Points)

Needless to say, curing Disease is a top priority for me, but at the moment, only Art can cast the necessary spell, and we don't have access to Cleansing Powders – the item that removes Disease. Thankfully, Spell Point regeneration on the over world has been accelerated, and you can't catch Disease while resting.

:catholic:

“I am much better, thank you.”

See what I mean about accelerated recovery? I swing around north of Fort Emergence, and Art has all her SP back, while Matthias hasn't been reinfected.

“Meat!”

“Oh, hey, something easy to start out with!”

Me and my big mouth.

“Wow, haven't seen wolves in the flesh in a decade.”

“They're from the surface, but there's a breeding population down here.”

This particular party, as chosen by the people in the thread is massively in favor of magical skill over the previous two teams. That means that Art and Sass have to pull double-duty as meat shields and front-line combatants.

As I go along, I develop a certain pattern – Art advances, then Blesses herself. Sass and Bronwyn form a line with her, then Ni'aurrl and Delilah Bless them while Matthias either casts haste on someone, or holds off a turn and waits for Fireball opportunities. Except with the improved equipment, this happens:

“Too much gear! Argh!”

That didn't happen. Reload!

“First time with everyone, so be careful.”

Ideal combat formation, still working out the kinks in buffing.

“Wow, I'm glad I remembered to take off that shield. It would have been impossible to cast spells in that!”

“Not bad actually.”

“Not a scratch!”

“Wait, who is that coming from the west?”

“Have a nice day!”

“Too bad they couldn't have helped out with the Goblins.”

Enemy and Allied mobs on the overworld don't fight, sad to say.

“Yep, this looks like Goblins!”

“Very astute.”

“See? See!”

“Yes. Yes we smell.”

Ladies and Gentleman, the advantages of the Highly Alert Trait! Without that trait, we would be facing two enemy encounters – ahead and behind, rather than just the one in front.

“Same tactics as last time?”

“Yes!”

“Hrm...”

:science:

A spell I never used in the previous games, I decide to finally start using. Don't expect me to show it off all the time. Anyway, here we have Monster Stats! And this will let me explain combat in a bit more detail.

Level affects XP gains for killing the enemy. If you kill an enemy of the same level as you, you get 4 XP, and everyone else in the party gets 1 XP spillover. However, because the Wolf is Level 3 to our Level 1, the XP is increased. I'll have to double-check the exact numbers. Once we go over that level, the XP gains start to go down.

Health is how much HP they have, while Magic Points is their MP/SP pool.

Armor affects their damage reduction and avoiding being hit in the first place. Skill affects their ability to hit you. Morale is a measure of how much they can take before they run away, and can be affected by being awesome, or casting Fear. Speed determines how much AP they have by default.

Enemies can also have up to three attacks, and in this case the Wolf deals a basic 2d6 damage per successful hit. The Wolf also knows no spells in either the Mage or Priest line, and can't poison us when they attack. They also have no special abilities, and no resistances or immunities.

So, combat is actually pretty simple in this game, enough so that you could probably adapt the d20 system to it. When the Wolf attacks, it rolls 1d20 behind the scenes and adds 5 for the Skill stat. If this number exceeds the Defence stat of the target, then it rolls 2d6+Skill for damage, once again reduced by enemy defence.

When a PC attempts to attack the Wolf, they roll 1d20+ their own modifier (shown on their stat page), and if that exceeds the Wolf's Armor+Skill, they are hit. The PC then rolls their damage, and reduces that by the Wolf's Armor to determine how much damage they take.

It's simple and elegant. I like it! Except for how Luck factors into it. I think it adds 1d(Luck) to all your relevant rolls, and affects the enemy negatively the same amount. Who knows?

“Hey, Matthias?”

“Yes?”

“Fireball.”

:flame:

I should really catch combat in a video. The engine has massively improved, and watching numbers like that pop up never gets old.

“And here we are. One set of Goblin Tunnels.”

“What, exactly, is our goal here?”

“Make a mess, disrupt their operations, get to practising as a group. The usual.”

“...”

Oh, Dark Dungeons, how I don't miss thee. SP wasted on Light spells because I can't be bothered to carry around torches or the like.

“Much better.”

“Sound Alarm!”

:doh: Man, I can't wait for the free HP gains from level ups.

“There's quite a few of them!”

“You and I can keep up the Fireballs while those three hold the line, and Delilah heals!”

“Good plan.”

“Aww, so few?”

“Just the front guard. Let's take this one problem at a time.”

“And that's that. Take a breather people.”

“I took some notes about those Goblin Fighters though. Here they are:”

Everything else is doable with spells (which ignore Skill in damage reduction) or blessed beaters. But the Poison 2? That's what makes these guys real pains in my book. Also, the Health is 0 because that particular specimen was on the verge of death when I had Matthias scry it. They normally have 20 health.

“Hey, this Goblin has a crossbow!”

“Oooh! Nice. Any bolts?”

“No, doesn't look like it. Must have broke, or just never had any.”

Crossbows are new to this game, and are heavier but more damaging than bows. I'll keep this around for Delilah when we get those.

“Stinks”

“Oh Joy! More Goblins!” :catholic:

And with that kill, Art levels up! I'm going to be keeping an eye on her to make sure she doesn't get too far ahead of everyone else, but she's still only taking 100XP per level, which is less than everyone else.

And with that level up, Arts HP almost doubled, and she got 5 more Skill Points to be trained up at a later date. Not certain where yet, I want to see how the rest of the party develops first.

“Oh, goddess of Joy, show me some happy results from this chest!”

:lol: “Garbage and a crap knife.”

“Well, that's enough for here, just a bunch of sleeping pads. Come on we're going north next.”

“Crates?”

“Wouldn't it be funny if they were stolen from the Brigands to the north?”

“They all have food stores in them. Edible too.”

“Interesting corner. Was that there before the cave was expanded, or was it used to wall off another section of the cavern?”

“The water is too shallow to swim properly in.” :(

“Oh, hey, more Goblins. And Wolves.”

“This is not optimal!”

“But it's what we have.”

“Just shut up and let me swing!”

“Interesting Pillar.”

“Almost makes you feel sorry for killing them.”

“They are a hazard. It's not like you can negotiate with these tribal creatures.”

“Nothing here...”

“Still no swimming...” :(

“Yeah. No.”

“Not my god.”

“Not mine.”

“I worship Nephil deities.”

“hissss!”

“Hey! We can talk about this!”

“No! You ruined everything!”

“Wait. Is that a WORG?”

“poo poo. That is.”

“A what now?”

“Big, huge wolf thing?”

“Keep those teeth away from me!”

Another graphical step up is that casting spells and firing off munitions results in seeing the projectile travel through the air. You can barely see the arrow from Delilah over the enemy Nephil Warrior on its way to the Warg.

:black101:

“Think that was the leader?”

“Maybe. But this seems less ornate than what a leader should have. And there is that building to the west we have yet to find a way into.”

“Please, Oh Joy!”

“Just some gold, a potion and shirt.”

“Let's get out and rest up.”

“Much better!”

Art, Delilah and Matthias levelled up, and I want everyone else to get at least one more under their belts before heading topside. That means back in!

“I was wondering what was in that structure. We should investigate!”

“I agree. We're doing good, but I think we can do a bit more.”

“Oh hey, they replaced their guards!”

“TAKE THAT!”

And my first assassination of the game! When you're over the target's level, there's a chance to essentially double your damage to the target, depending on how high your assassination skill is. As you can see from the screen shot, the only one who hasn't levelled yet is Ni'aurrl. I should find a spot and feed her Fireball fodder.

“Hrm... South west, not north west.”

“But the structure is nor'west!”

“Executive decision.”

:smuggo:

:smugjones:

“Knock knock?”

“NO ONE HOME!”

:black101: “Agreed!”

“Weird, I can hear something from the north.”

“Me too. Like wolves?”

“I think they would have a kennel of some sort around here.”

“Down there.”

“I agree. Look at the floor. Paw scratches. Big and small.”

“Ignoring that for now. They have at least one Worg, and I'm not interested in more.”

“ugh!”

“And here is the other end to that structure! And multiple doors! Amazing!”

“It's a prison. Don't get your hopes up.”

Requiescat in Pace.”

“CLOSE THE DOOR!”

Giant Lizards can deal multiple attacks per round. Not fighting one in close quarters yet.

“Then what is that at the end of the hall?”

“Even I'm not eager to go down there.”

“Then we're not.”

Mung Rats can cast Stinking Cloud, a persistent field that curses anyone who enters. Not fighting it right now either.

Here's the map of the south-east corner of the Goblin warrens. I still don't like the way it's the same as what we see in the interactive screen, just reduced ratios. It's messy. Of course, with this, I note a potential hidden room.

“Ack! That viper bit me!” :black101:

“And there's nothing happy in this room either.”

“Hold on, Ni'aurrl, can you take care of that?”

“No, I got it.”

“Am I the only person here who can't use magic of some sort?”

“Sorry?”

:sigh:

“Yeah, I'm willing to keep this door closed for now.”

“You sure you want to look into the Kennels?”

“Well, if we can cull the pack...”

“Yep, just around the corner.”

*howl*

“Let's start culling!”

:black101:

“I hear more this way.”

“Worgs! Form a line around the exit!”

Being able to control how enemies get to you can be vital for survival. Art may have hit another level, but Worgs are still dangerous to everyone.

I should Scry more monsters. Maybe put together a post full of stat pages.

“Ugh, I got Worg guts in my hair...”

“There are Goblin skeletons here. Looks like that's how the giant wolves were getting fed.”

“Worgs.”

“And this is far better construction than anything else. I wonder why?”

“Yeah, we've got enough practice now, let's get back to Fort Emergence, clean up, and put our new found exercise to work.”

And that's exactly what I do. While having more levels gives you more HP to take hits with, you really need to train to improve your skills. Now, because I'm running tight on funds (as there's no place to sell loot in either Fort so far), I skip training Art. She already has an advantage with her swords.

Gets 1 point in each of Strength and Pole Weapons. I'm going to be speccing him that way for the first few levels, then I will probably invest in bringing him up to Priest 3/Mage 3 for the buff and debuff spells. And Fireball.

1 point of Strength, Dex, and two into Edged Weapons. She's a straight beater, so I'll have to keep her Assassination skill up, and also invest a couple points into Luck.

One level up, put everything into Spell Points, as I noted she was running short on those a lot. Expect her to pick up Priest 3 sooner, rather than later, as well as trying to balance that with improving her archery skills.

Priest 3! Huzzah! And one more point of Intelligence and 2 more into Spell Points. She'll turn into our next Peregrine with no difficulties at all!

He only got one level, so I poured all of his Skill points into Spell points. More SP means another Fireball, which means more XP gained for killing!

“This is quite the event.”

“Yeah. Let's just get this over with.”

“I wonder what it'll be like out there?”

“Beautiful.”

“I've heard of trees crowned in green, and fields of golden brown.”

“Us old folks though, we have memories, faded as they are.”

“Well, let's go get a breath of fresh air, shall we?”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 26, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

FreakyM posted:

Bronwyn's going to become pretty crazy if you invest in enough luck. I can't recall if it ever came up in the past two LP's, but high enough Luck can make you basically unkillable.

Ember had the highest luck with 5 at the end of E1. Yes, I intend to exceed that. :getin:

MagusofStars posted:

Slander! Maybe she could have similar magical talent, but no way she'll have the proper level of refined sophistication to be in the same class as Peregrine IV.
Mechanically. I agree, there is no way she could possibly match Peregrine IV's amazing interpersonal skills. :)

LuffyVeggies posted:

You forgot one important thing that disease can cause: Dumbfounding. Will barely have effect early on, and will never affect Bronwyn (and probably Sass, unless you make him more spellcaster than I expect), but it will have HUGE problems on everyone else later on.

I totally did not forget Dumbfounding. It's right there after Slow and before No Effect! Honest! ;)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Tylana posted:

From what I recall of the games manual/documentation it basically says "Str 3 is the minimum for anyone who wants HP evers." Sadly raising Str is not retractive on HP calculations.

It's one of the secret advantages to Sliths. They have an innate +2 Strength, so they are always getting HP bonuses on the level up.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

So, um, yeah...

Thanks to Sir Tiefling over on dA for some art of Art. (click image for art of Art)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Huh. That's a very nice piece of Art.

I'm curious though, if you always get some SP on level up if you have magic, why not always give at least one level of magic to every character? Does the initial investment cost more?

You get Skill Points on level up, not Spell Points. And Characters that are genned at Level 1 get a bonus 3 SP for every point of Mage and Priest Spells they have. Buying levels of Mage and Priest afterward do not provide additional Spell Points. Yes, it gets confusing. And the long-term investment is pretty high.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 05 – The Slimes of Krizsan

“AAAAAHH!” :supaburn:

“I notice you're not screaming.”

“I knew what to expect. You?”

“Dapper Hat.”

“OH MOTHER-OF-US-ALL Why?”

“I will invent something to protect my eyes!”

“What is that horrible thing?”

“It's called the sun. You're probably the first Slith in living history to see it.”

“Wait, does that make me a legend?”

“Yes it does! Aren't you joyful?”

“I AM AWESOME!”

“Alright, it's a valley. And the sky is clear...”

“The sky! Praise the almighty, I see the sky!”

“But where does it come out? I see it curving away to the east.”

“That's beautiful... I've never seen such colors.”

“And those of us who have, we had forgotten.”

“What're those?”

“Trees with leaves.”

“What're those?”

“Birds. They fly.”

“WOW!”

“No swimming, Sass.”

“But why not?”

“Who knows what's in the water?”

“Right! Don't know the currents at all. Got to be safe.”

“Oh hey! Look at this! Fish in a pool!”

“Oooh!”

“Aaah!”

“I'm hungry.”

“I don't know what those are.”

“No, seriously. Never seen them before!”

“They appear to be much larger versions of the Goos you find in the caves. Fascinating! I didn't know they could maintain coherency at that size!”

“Should be easy to kill then. Just splatter them.”

Meet the Slimes. They come in four major types. Amber is your general fighter. Emerald can cause a PC to sleep, making them miss their turns. Mauve can cast first level Mage and Priest spells.

“Did that one just use magic?”

“They're still weak! Beat them down!”

“That was easy.”

“Yeah, but goo everywhere.”

“This is worrisome. The Empire wouldn't tolerate these things existing, and should have hunted them down.”

“Really?”

“Quite. Most concerning.”

“Oh, don't worry. I'm sure someone is on top of this.”

“Undertow is no joke.”

“But this is a safe crossing it seems. The city is on this side of the river though, so no need to cross yet.”

“An actual forest! With groves! And trees! And leaves!”

“Farmland! Careful. Who knows how they'll react to us.”

“Will that be a problem?”

“You're Slith.”

“Yes. And what's the problem.”

“I don' know if they've seen your kind before.”

“oooooooh!”

“More of these slimes. Attacking farms like this? Where is the army?”

And here is the last type of Slime – Ochre. Acid does two things. First is that it decreases your defence as it eats at your armor. The second is that it will also deal damage over time like poison, except it runs out faster.

“Ah! The burning!”

“Just the normal ones left!”

“This is wrong. Very, very wrong.”

“More farms. We need to be careful.”

“Hello?”

“We're right here, you know.”

“Look at that city...”

“It's actually not that big. Almaria is bigger.”

“Can we go in? Please! I want to see?”

“Hey, Art? Are you sure this is the right Sass? Seems more like a hatchling than a proper agent.”

“He's what I had to work with. Other options, not so much.”

“Look at the walls. They are showing acid scoring.”

“Come on, let's talk to people!”

“Stick together! I don't want us separated here.”

“I wouldn't worry about that. We make sure lost kids get returned to their parents.”

“That could go wrong in so many ways...”

“I know. Listen, go see the mayor before you leave. Please?”

“Uh... sure?”

“He'll explain things. For now, I need to get back to work, in case more Slimes show up.”

“Uh, alright.”

“Pretty obviously a port town if the inn farthest from the docks has a maritime pun as a name.”

This innkeeper has filthy, dirt-encrusted hands, which have probably touched every mug and plate in the place. He looks you over with disinterested eyes. "I'm McElroy. Welcome to the Rowdy Oar."

“Good day! We're from out of town. What does your establishment offer?”

He wipes his nose with the back of his hand. "Well, we got the best drinks in the whole town. Only two gold. And we got room in the common room to sleep for the night. Only three gold. And we'll make sure none of the slimes get ya'."

“Well, your inn is up against the outer walls. I hope the slimes aren't too much of a trouble?”

"Well, those slime creatures have been sneakin' in all over the place. There was even an attack near here!"

“An attack? Inside the city? Horror!”

"Oh don't worry, one will slip through the walls every one in a while, but none get in here. Sleep easy!" He grins in a way you find not at all reassuring.

“Well thank you. But we have some other business to attend to first. Have a good day.”

“How delightfully normal.”

“Next building then, with a sign on it.”

“Our supplies are running low.”

“What's a herring?”

“A small fish used as a distraction.”

You meet a big, beefy man gleefully attacking a leg of lamb with a large cleaver. After years of chewing on mushrooms in the underworld, the smell of food in this shop drives you wild.

“Hi!”

He looks you over knowingly. "I'm Herron. Proprietor of Herron's Herring."

"You all look hungry, like you haven't seen good victuals in a long time." He winks at you. "You're in luck! Herron's Herring has the best food for sale around!"

“What's a herring?”

“I told you! A distraction!”

He grins. "Well, we don't have herring anyway, on accounts that the sailors when they come to shore are all sick of it. I just call this place that because it sounds good."

“You sure you don't have any for him somewhere to taste? I don't think he's going to let it go now.”

He shakes his head.“Nah, I tend to work with mutton and the like. Just let me know if you want any rations.”

I hold off on buying for now. My finances are pretty tight, at least until I get back to Fort Emergence and the free food and cash.

“Ah, decorative pools. Something that we have back home as well.”

“I don't recall this sect.”

“Neither do I.”

You meet a young, calm woman. She wears long white robes and the ankh of a healer, and somewhat incongruously, wears a big axe at her belt.

“Hello! I am Delilah, Church of Joy.”

"I am called Terry. I'm the town healer."

"Well, I mainly act as the town healer. Busy work. Plus, I maintain the shrine, for what it's worth."

“It's not a large one, that's for sure. But all shrines are worthy of respect.”

"Well, Krizsan has one small shrine to the healing arts, and I look after it. Nothing compared to what the other cities have. It's more a worry than anything else, I'm afraid."

“You shouldn't worry! Don't worry, be happy! That's what I always say!”

"Well, Krizsan has lots of sailors. They're a superstitious lot, but not the shrine-going type. It's all I can do to keep the dust off everything."

“That's understandable. While they are superstitious, sailors are not cowardly. They will come when they need to, not because they want to. Until then, be happy!”

“I'll try.” :haw:

“Um... keep practising!”

“Let's not leave yet. Those guards are watching us a bit too intently.”

“What is your exit plan?”

“Sass jumps in the water and swims back up river. The rest of us steal a boat.”

“That's less a plan and more like... I don't know.”

“I've found hard and fast plans have a tendency to go awry. Just stay flexible.”

This is one of the tallest women you've ever seen. She looks down at you with a grinning face as she effortlessly hefts about a huge hammer and tongs. She wears a leather jerkin, and her bare arms are sweaty and muscular. She gives the hammer a spinning toss, and catches it."Welcome to my Smithy. Call me Jinx."

“Hey! You're tall for a human!”

“I am, aren't I. And what are you?”

“I'm Sass! I'm a Slithzerikai!”

“Well, never seen your kind before.”

“You're the smith here?”

"Oh, well, what do you think? You can sell me what you got, and purchase weapons in return. Always glad to help a visitor to Krizsan."

Visitors. Oh. Yes. Us. Totally.”

She smiles, as if she's in on a joke you don't get. "Krizsan doesn't get many visitors these days, being as it's about as remote a large city as you can get. Sometimes we get people from odd places, though. Where are you from?”

“Gnass!”

“Imperial Capital.”

“Cotra.”

“It doesn't have a name.”

“Silvar.”

“Cotra as well.”

“Interesting. You're from all over the place. Oh, and be sure to ask me if you want a good meal. I know just the place to go." She chuckles at this.

“A meal? I suppose you would get an appetite working here.”

"Well, Herron, who's a ... a very good friend of mine, runs a shop near here." She rubs a small diamond ring on her finger and giggles. It's strange to see such a huge person giggle.

Aww, isn't that sweet. Anyway, we can go back and ask Herron about Jinx.

"A fine woman, running a fine smithy. And don't think I'm biased or anything just because I'm married to her." He laughs, and dumps some lamb into a stewpot.

We can also sell anything to her that we've identified, so let's take care of that now.

Turns out, I didn't actually have a lot of stuff to lose. And her inventory isn't worth investing in yet.

“Those look like warehouses over there.”

“We'll ignore them for now, continue looking around.

“BOOKS!”

An elderly, angular man sits behind the counter, dispiritedly polishing a shield. There is plenty of armor behind the counter, which is peculiar considering the number of books in the shop.

“Hello! I'm Ni'aurrl! Can I look at your books?”

He looks you over. "I'm Benedict. And sure."

“And while she's reading that, what do you do around here? Identification services?”

"Well, I'm a businessman. You know, this and that. Right now, I deal in armor."

“Armor is your business? Is it any good?”

"I used to sell potions and such, but then the slimes started appearing. Armor suddenly became the best business to be in."

“What do you know about the Slimes?”

"The ones who drop acid are the worst. Armor doesn't do a bit of good against acid. Still, armor usually helps a lot against them."

Once again, not much.

“This storeroom hasn't been used in a while.”

“At least the spiders in here aren't the talking type.”

“They're not that bad.”

“Uh, what are you talking about?”

“If you're ever west of Fort Draco, you'll find out.”

“No need to pry.”

“Besides, I think they take thieves seriously around here. Where's the joy in that?”

“Hey, I wonder if they have any ships in here?”

“Hello? Anyone home?”

“Odd.”

The guy who is supposed to be here has wandered off, and I couldn't find him. That's alright, I'll come back when I need a boat.

“That's the western half of the city looked over. Merchant district, warehouses. Nothing out of the ordinary.”

“Aside from the threat of the Slimes.”

You see a seedy looking sailor, walking around town looking bored. He paces over to you - it seems he finds talking to you preferable to doing nothing. He scratches himself."I'm called Denzil. Howday' do?"

“Uh... hi? I'm Delilah.”

“Had'ta' see you up close.” He shrugs and spits. "Normally, I'm a sailor. It's a disaster for people in my trade these days, I tells' ya!"

“A Sailor? Where's your boat?”

He scratches a tattooed arm."Bad trade to be in these days. Nobody is shipping anything anywhere. Too many monsters."

“Yes, we know about the monsters. We were attacked on the way here.”

"Betcha' think this is the only place with lots of monsters. Don't kid yourself. I've heard the rumors. We sailors get around. There's monsters running around everywhere. Watch your back. As for me? I'm running."

“And where could you possibly run when the monsters are everywhere?”

"I'm waiting to sign on with some merchants going west. There's a town called Pergies to the west, hasn't been attacked much. Maybe I'll be safe there. Sure getting out of here as soon as I can. Way too many monsters!"

Note to self: Visit Peregies sooner, rather than later. There's something there I need to pick up that will make my life a lit easier.

“I hear a guitar coming from that inn there. Odd, I recognize that tune...”

“HALT!”

This woman hefts a large halberd around with her. Both her weapon and her breastplate have tiny spots of dried slime on them. “I am Captain Maxine, head of the garrison.”

“Art.”

She shrugs her shoulders brusquely. "Can't talk long. Have work to do. I look after the garrison and city hall. Plenty to do, what with the slime invasion."

“We won't take your time then. One of your men told us to check in with City Hall before we leave. Can you tell us anything about that?”

"Just between you and me, City Hall isn't too useful to us. I mean, are we going to club the slimes to death with paperwork? That's all Cindy and Agrod have contributed."

:lol: “Hitting slimes with papers?”

“Agreed.”

“Who is Cindy?”

"She does research, trying to figure out how to flight the slimes. She's nowhere near bright enough, and I've lost good men trying out her schemes. Still, she's come close sometimes. She's still worth the trouble."

“And Agrod?”

"We beg the Empire for help, and who do they send? That worthless paper pusher. I'd like to use him as a shield, that's what I'd like. Now, I've answered your questions, so answer mine."

“Alright.”

“Spies?”

“Recon.”

“Don't make a mess of things.” She leaves the party behind, heading for one of the gates.

“GYPSY?”

A heavy set woman sits perched in the middle of the tavern, commanding everyone's attention. She plays a guitar flawlessly. When she finishes her song, she walks up to speak to you. Her skin is incredibly pale - she's an Exile!

“Huh, now I know where I heard that music before. Back in Blosk.”

She bows. "Art? It's been ages! Nice to see familiar faces. What brings you to the surface?"

“Oh, this and that. I wasn't told you were up here. Why are you up here?”

She tunes her guitar as she speaks. "Oh, just touring the surface. Like you, I suppose."

“You know what I meant! The Surface!

"Well, I've already played pretty much everywhere in Exile, so I snuck up here. Tricky, but I did it."

“...”

“So, when we go back to the Fort, can you let us know how you got out so we can plug the leak should someone come in?”

"Volunteered to help build Fort Emergence. Slipped out onto the surface soon as I got a chance and never looked back. And I'm not the only one! Pretty immoral of me, but, well, there you go."

“...”

“Let it go, Art.”

“But..! She's! And more! Security!!!”

“Let. It. Go.”

“Look, I know you're on the clock Art, but I would love to talk later. Besides, if you think me being here is mind bending, you should talk to the owner.”

You meet a woman with a sun-weathered face, loose clothes and a sure step. Tattoos ring her arms and wrists. She gives you a cocksure grin as you approach.

“Hello there. I am Ni'aurrl. Are you the owner?”

“No, that's Kessle over there.” She tugs her earlobe as she looks you over."I'm Dawn."

“Ah. Well, what do you do around here? Help out?”

“Well, I normally sail the open seas. Now I just wait around here. Krizsan's my home, after all."

“A lot of those around here. Sailors, I mean.”

“Yeah! Except you're stuck here too!”

"SHUT UP! Not much call for that now. Ships haven't been sailing since the monsters appeared."

“The slimes, yes.”

"Interesting thing about that. Just when the slimes started appearing, when I was sailing into Krizsan for the last time before the ships stopped going, I saw some weird lights on the coast."

“What as so unusual about them?”

"The south coast, just west of here. There was a tower, and there were some seriously weird lights flashing around it." She tugs her earlobe thoughtfully. "Maybe it's just me, but the Slimes must be caused by a bunch of weird magic there." She grins."But what do I know? I'm just a sailor, and you're genuine Exiles!"

:doh: “Could we not advertise that particular fact? We're all politely ignoring it.”

She laughs. "Don't worry! Your secret is safe with me! I was pretty close to being sent down there a few times myself!"

“Oh?”

“I was a sailor. I'm certain you can think of reasons.”

“Maybe. Uh, Delilah, you want to talk with Kessle there?”

“Sure!”

The woman behind the counter looks like a buxom serving wench made good. Her demeanour and clean, stylish clothes clearly mark her as the one in charge. She mops up some beer on the counter and looks at you proudly. "I'm Kessle. Welcome to my inn."

“Delilah! You run this place? Nice!”

"I run the Crusty Sailor Inn. I feel that, even in the middle of all the slimes and horror, we should still have a little luxury to get us through. We have fine beer for 5 gold, fine wine for 10, and luxurious rooms for only 15 gold. What would you like?"

“Well, we're from out of town. What can you tell us about the Slimes?”

"We have to be careful in these dark days. And we also have to keep clear heads. Good heavens! Some people from the northern cities said the monsters were being sent by the Exiles!"

Exiles? Really?”

:D

"Isn't that silly? I mean, the Exiles have plenty of reasons to hate us, but even if they had the power to do that, why would they want to attack those of us out here in Krizsan? I mean, this is the boonies!

“Well, I mean, maybe there's something important in in Krizsan?”

"But what could it possibly be? Krizsan is a beautiful city, but it's the youngest and farthest out of the cities in Valorim. This is as far from the center of the action in the Empire as you can get."

“Well, if you wanted to mount an invasion, would you start in the capital, where everyone's attention is, or start at the edges? In some nowhere town that no one would miss if something unusual happened?”

“No! That can't be! We're nobodies! They would never come here! Not in a hundred years.”

:geno: “That's the point! No one would expect those insidious worms to come here!”

“Of course! It's not possible!”

“But what about their spies? They could be anywhere.”

“Not here! That's for certain! I would know an Exile if they ever showed their criminal faces in MY inn!”

:geno: “Good. Good. You keep a watch out for those evil, evil, people.”

“I WAS IN FRONT OF HER!”

“We noticed.”

“Gypsy has been playing in her inn for weeks!”

“To be fair to her, our skin should darken over a couple weeks in the sun.”

“Until then, keep your skin protected. I don't remember sunburn being fun.”

“Hey, why is that building off to the side?”

This man looks like a sailor, but is wearing the robes of an apprentice mage (dirty and torn robes none the less). He stares intently into an orb on the table in front of him. As you approach the table, he looks up from the orb."Welcome, my children!" he says in an affected fortune teller voice. "Come forth, so I may speak unto you."

“No. I may be happy, but I only have so much tolerance per day.”

"I will forecast your future for only two coins! Also, I can share with you my great magical skills!"

“Really?!?!? You're an awesome magician?”

He waves his hands, and there is a flash of light. It's a very simple spell."I can create charms which will shift your fortunes. Purchase one, and you will never be devoured by the seas. A bargain, compared to the value of your life!"

“Hold on, let me check my wallet...”

“No! He's a con-man, and a poor one as well. It's a disgrace!”

“But!”

“No! We're leaving!”

“Awwww....”

“Last place to check.”

“Let's see what that plaque says.”

“This must be where Cindy is doing her work. Let's say hi!”

Yes, those are hostile slimes in the room. The rune-marked floor prevents anyone, including the party, from crossing. Though, if I was desperate for the XP, I would kill them with spells.

You meet a female mage. She's pacing back and forth, completely involved in her own thoughts. She stares intently at a vial of brightly colored slime in her hand.

“Allow me. Pardon, my name is Matthias, can I have a moment of your time?”

She looks up at you, but her gaze is absent. Her mind is clearly miles away.“I am ... umm ... I'm Cindy. Hi."

“Sorry for the intrusion, but I was informed that you were a person of interest with these troubled times.”

"I am ... oh." She stared at the vial and thinks for a moment. “I ... Research. I am doing research."

“Doing research into these slimes is a good thing. What have you learned?”

"Looking for ways to defeat slimes." She uncorks the slime, and sniffs it."The danger to us is great."

“What about the slimes themselves?”

She holds the vial of slime up so that you can see it. It's mauve."This. ... A sample. Very useful. For research."

“And the dangers they pose?”

"The slimes can enter Krizsan at will. They slide through holes in our walls. I look for a weapon against them, but the work is slow." She thinks."Perhaps you should leave, so I work more."

“I think that's for the best. Good luck.”

“The Mayor is in the next room.”

“Mayor.”

You meet a small, fidety man with the look of a natural-born bureaucrat. He sits in an impressive, polished oak chair far too large for him. His expression is hard to read."Welcome, travellers, to the city hall of Krizsan. I am Mayor Arbunkle."

He doesn't have a cat. I checked..

“I think you're doing a good job.”

He has a nervous tic around his eye. "I was picked by the Empire to look after this area. It was a nightmare assignment, and the monsters have only made it worse." He surprises you with his bluntness.

“I am certain that the Empire made certain that you were the most qualified for the position.”

"Yes. The continent of Valorim is only recently settled. A post here was a dead end for a career even as it was seen as a blessing. Then the slimes appeared." He looks around."The only worse job is anything dealing with Exile."

:geno: “There is nothing wrong with Exile.”

His mouth twitches. "Don't bother to pretend. I know there are Exiles running around. I don't care. We have too many other problems, and I'm not foolish enough to believe Exile would attack us by dropping slimes in the middle of nowhere."

“That's good to hear. So, what can we do to make your life with the slimes easier?”

He looks at you cannily."I will be blunt. You're adventurers from Exile. I don't know why you're here. I don't care. We have too much else to worry about." He wipes nervous sweat from his forehead."I have a mission for you, with a considerable reward."

Her eyes narrow. “You can tell us what it is, but I can't be certain whether or not we can take missions from Empire Officials.”

“I understand. We don't know who is creating the slimes or why, and we don't know where they come from. Perhaps a small, skilled band, such as yours, could have luck finding them. Find out where the Slimes are from, and remove the source, and you will be rewarded lavishly. Good luck to you."

“That is something we will need to run by Anaximander first.”

“Things must be extremely desperate if the Empire is willing to reach out to Exile for help.”

“Agreed. We should head back right away.”

“But we're almost done poking around this building. We should finish that first.”

There is an officious looking woman with a turned up nose behind the counter. Even as she looks up at you, she continues to nervously shuffle papers with her hands.

“Hello! Your nameplate says you're the Job dispatcher, but not your name.”

"Valoda" The papers continue to shuffle.

“And what does that mean, anyways?”

"I'm the delivery dispatcher. Even in these awful days, the mail must still go through."

“I thought the Empire already had a dedicated mail service.”

"Not out here. The Empire insists the mail continues to move as much as possible. It might occur to some to that perhaps they should send more troops to help us, and fewer orders to obey." She sighs."It is, of course, not my place to criticize the Empire."

“So, what, anyone can just come in and ask to do a delivery?”

"When someone needs something sent somewhere, they come to me, and I find someone to do it for them. It you'd like a mission, let me know. Before you get a mission, however, I have some advice for you."

“And that would be..?”

"These are paranoid times. You may not want to take a mission to a city until you know you will be let in. Also, we job dispatchers are unforgiving of failure."

She's right. We won't have access to certain cities and late-game quests until we've cleared lower things first.

“I refuse to fail! By the way, what is the price for failure?”

"Fail to complete one of my jobs on time, and don't be surprised if I don't give you another for a few months."

Another promise. You see the 'Day' counter in the upper right? Certain events are timed, and if you mess us with a Dispatch Quest, you will be shut out of that town's quests for 30-60 days. So don't mess up!

If this looks familiar, it's because it's the prototype for the Job Boards in later games. And it's randomly generated! That means that you'll rarely see the same mission twice!

“I think I'll speak with this one.”

You meet a Captain of the Empire Army. He has a squashed, puffy face, and a huge nose. He looks at you with extreme distrust."I'm Captain Agrod."

“Matthias, thank you for seeing us.”

He pulls out a small hip flask and takes a swig from it."Better than nothing. I'm the Empire liaison for this area. I hope you don't plan to cause trouble."

Trouble? Us?”

"Look, we all know there are Exiles wandering around. If you were near the center of the Empire, this would be a serious problem. But this is the middle of nowhere, and we don't care here. Just don't cause trouble, OK?"

“We understand completely. How is the Empire these days? You know, as we don't get out much.”

"The Empire stuck me out here in the middle of nowhere to look after things and to implement their inane policies. Speaking of which, what's your opinion on unicorns?"

“We are completely ambivalent on the subject of Unicorns.”

"Don't have any romantic ideas about happy, friendly creatures. When we got out here, we found a bunch of them, and they're nasty, vicious pests. The Empire told me to hire someone to get rid of them. So, tell you what, Every Unicorn horn you bring me, I give you ten gold. Just come back and tell me you have the horns."

“I think that's it. We should head back north and report in. Something is very screwy here.”

“Could the previous team have been ambushed by the Slimes and killed?”

“Possible. But Gypsy mentioned she wasn't the only one to sneak out. She could have mistook the scouts for escapees.”

“There's no sense in guessing. We can investigate that later. Let's just go back.”

“Hey, Anaximander, it's worse than we thought.”

“But before you do, I need to report back to the Castle. Take care of stuff here in Upper Exile for a day or two, then we can have firmer orders for you.”

“Yes, sir. Oh, what about the Exile escapees?”

“Your report indicates they are being tolerated for now. Identify who they are, and their last known location. We'll work something out, but that's for the Castle to decide.”

“Understood.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 24, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

That fraudulent mage in Krizsan (which, incidentally, is named after Jeff Vogel's wife) can identify items for you.

I had to cut out about 10% of the update to fit it in under the character limit, and that was one of the things done as Delilah doesn't tolerate (other) confidence crooks.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Kacie posted:

The people of Krizsan seem very tolerant of Exiles. And pretending to not notice what must be obvious, given most of them seem to recognize the party being Exiles. (Which, in all honesty, with a Slith and Nephil, should be pretty obvious.)

Yeah, that's true. With all their other problems, they're just happy that here's one group that's not out to kill them. But as the game progresses, we'll see those attitudes change.

quote:

Delilah, initial fight with the slimes: “That that one just use magic?”

Ni'aurrl: facepalm, “Could not advertise that particular fact? We're all politely ignoring it.”

"Did that one just use magic?"
"Could we not advertise that particular fact?"

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

What is the surface world like, politically? Could the slimes be creations of an enemy nation trying to invade the Empire?

Imagine if you will, that the Empire is the British Empire that never stopped growing, taking everyone else out in time, like one of those 'Global Domination' games of Victoria that people like Wiz wave to hold themselves back from doing. Only with added magic.

Valorim is basically Australia at this point - the farthest away you can get from the Imperial Capital, and still being colonized.

But one of the more benevolent policies of the Empire is "Is there a hostile monster in the area? Send in the Army! And a second one, just in case." That there are monsters attacking cities, with no official overwhelming response from the Empire is bad news for everyone. In fact, Garzahd was (legitimately) hailed as a hero for helping to kill the last known Dragon on the surface.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

> Rush jobs are exactly that. If you're accepting a Rush job, you better already know where the town is AND head straight there. The deadlines are always possible, but they don't give you much float room to screw around.

They are also a lot easier once you get a horse.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Destroyed cities are replaced by different maps, if I recall correctly. Plot-essential NPCs take refuge elsewhere so you can still always complete the major quests, but you may be cut out of other content. I don't think I had more than a couple of cities get destroyed the first time I played the game, though, so the "time limit" is extremely generous.

While looking around for information about when certain cities get overrun by monsters (which I still haven't found yet), I realized that this party could actually pull of an Anama run with the way they are now.

Man, I have to seriously consider showing that off on a different save.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 06 – The Goblin Tunnels, The Wolf Pit, The Bandit Hideout

“So, now what do we do? We can't go back to the surface.”

“We get used to the cold and dim lighting of the caves again. I can barely see twenty feet in front of me.”

“There was a distinct lack of joy in the world up there. Where did those monsters come from and why?”

“Well, the slimes are a threat, but they don't seem to be an existential one. I suspect part of the problem is institutional.”

Dammit game, give me a chance to cure the disease before you throw out the secondary effects of Disease!

“Are you sure you can keep going?” :catholic:

“I have learned enough that I can aid in his recovery, Art. You need not keep as much in reserve as you would normally need to.” :catholic:

Check out the log. It looks like Matthias got diseased again while I was curing him, but that's not the case. We actually got about 20 steps first!

“Hey! People!”

“Not even questioning if we were bandits or not. Lazy.”

“Alright, let's see what's hidden back here.”

“More Goblins?”

“A dead end.”

“Think we should check out what's behind that locked door on the west end? The one past the prison for dangerous creatures?”

“Oh. Chitrachs. How quaint.”

“Oh come on! Show some enthusiasm!”

Huh. Didn't know they were cold resistant.

“But not fireproof!” :flame:

“I quite agree.”

“Not much here. Just garbage an bodies of goblins and the like.”

“This must be the other end of the pit we saw in the prison cells. Still one way though. In.”

“And if we came in this way, there would be no way to control the flow of battle as we could around the door.”

“And there's this crack to the north. Looks like the bugs couldn't fit through.”

“Say, how did they get up here anyways? I mean, we're further up than Exile is, and I'm sure these things came from the Vahnatai lands.”

“... Good question.”

“Well, there is Ghrika to the north, that's a Vahanatai town. We could ask them.”

“Just spiders.”

I then head back down into the Wolf Pit for some more grinding, as well as checking out their stats.

“Curious. This construction is recent, but better than the Goblins.”

“No wonder! Bandits!”

“Hey!”

Yeah, I can stop all over him.

“Hey! Wot's all this racket down here? The Doggies getting uppity again?”

Oh god the Assassin. This guy is above our current level, and is twice as potent in terms of dishing out the poison as the Goblin Warriors. He's actually a serious threat! He also uses a graphic used by NPC's in towns, just to enforce the idea that he can and will look like anyone!

“It's a good thing we're outnumbering these people 6 to 1 when we fight them. I'd hate to go one-on-one with any of them.”

“True. But this looks like a feeding pen to me.”

“Agreed. Look at those bones!”

“And we can't climb over the fence, so we'll have to take the long way around.”

“Not quite yet. I think we missed something.”

“Oooh! Is that the voice of experience talking? Is it male, female, or neuter?”

“How did you know there was something in the back of the worg pit?”

“Seemed like the best security to me.”

“Oooh! How joyful! Treasure!”

“Uh... this shouldn't be here.”

“I agree. If it was stolen from them, we should return it.”

Just a picture of the chest not changing to the 'open' state, or vanishing as it used to in E1 and E2 – which makes double checking things a pain in the arse for sure as you have to treat every chest as unchecked. Now, back into the Bandit Hideout properly

Huh. It also seems that I've killed enough wolves and worgs to result in the Wolf Pit being 'Cleared Out', which is the new version of 'The Dungeon is Abandoned' that I did so often in previous games. Nice to know!

“Time to beat up bandits!”

“Hey guys! Want to surrender?”

“What?”

1d6 damage at range, and all the defenses of a paper sack. At this point (thanks to Magically Adept), Niarl can hit that much damage on average with a fireball.

“This will open the gates, should we choose to leave through the front door.”

“See!”

“Oh, that's not happy at all!”

“You're really good with that sort of thing for a priestess.”

“Oh, you know. Sometimes you forget the safety catch on something sacred, and have to do it the hard way. Nothing unusual.”

“Except this is a storeroom with nothing of value in it. Not even food.”

“Hey! Watering hole!”

“Another hideaway, another shrine to dark powers. It's kinda sad really.”

This is after taking 12 points of damage. Still fragile, and quick to put down.

“You! Traitor!”

“I have no idea who you are.”

“NOT ME, YOU IDIOTS!”

While Friendly Fire isn't, this is a case where it's justified – Bronwyn has enough HP to survive those, as well as the Wound the Evil Acolyte is sure to toss her way.

“Here, dear, let me help.”

I love the persistent damage on the map – the scorched tiles, and puddles of blood from battle. It gives a sense that you're leaving a certain degree of destruction behind you that the previous games didn't.

“Gee, thanks. At least someone has my back. I hope that potion was worth it.”

“Curious. They thought they knew you.”

“And that's the end of that line of conversation.”

“Oh! A pen for cows.”

:science:

I had to.

“Hey, Bessie, is someone disturbing you?”

“Uh.. no?”

“I don't believe my ears! Blue, is that you?”

“No, just people from unspecified services.”

“Did you say your nickname was 'Blue'?”

“Uh, no?”

“I know that voice! ALARM!”

“Eh. Charge.”

I picked this fight poorly, running low on SP for everyone except Art. At this point in time, I realized I had forgotten to screen-cap things, and took this picture to show you what was happening. Art is dealing with a generic soldier enemy outside while Delilah just used the last of her SP to put a minor bless on Niarl – she'll switch out with Bronwyn next turn. Matthias dropped a Stinking Cloud on the enemy spellcaster and the Captain. The stacking Curse from being in Cloud each turn, coupled with the AI's in ability to fall back out of combat if possible means that Sass can wail on the Captain with relative impunity. And Bronwyn can take out the mage once her magically slowed actions let her.

That's a whole lot of words to cover up I forgot to take about three images to set this all up.

“Care to make a statement?”

“No, not really.”

“As I said, no more discussion on that part. Am I clear?”

“Well, at least the books aren't porn.”

“Alright, this should be the better stuff. Take everything, and we can sort it all out later.”

I decide pressing on isn't good, so I backtrack through the wolves and goblins to sleep and come back.

“Odd, this lock is quite resilient.”

“Look, how hard can it be? I mean, you just stick a couple pins in there and twist, right?”

“Not for magic!”

“Talking to the only non-caster here, remember?”

“Don't worry! You'll improve some day!”

It's at this point I realize that no one in the party has lock picking as a skill. Nor lockpicks for that matter. I resolve to fix that at the nearest opportunity.

“More wolf pens.”

“And training grounds?”

“Fall back, I have an idea.”

I love me some killboxes.

“Building ahead and behind. Shall we go forward?”

“I want to see how far around the buildings go if possible.”

“Ugh, the webs get in my fur!”

“Not quite a dead end – I can feel some air flow.”

“Which leads us outside.”

“Good enough. Means we don't have to go through the wolves and goblins again.”

“SLIMES!”

“No, it's their smaller counterparts – Viscous Goos.”

The ability to split is something where if they take physical damage, they divide into two monsters, each with half the remaining HP. They're not a threat, just a nuisance, something to toss a Fireball at and be done with.

Fireballs solve a lot of problems don't they?

“No wonder, people just tossing good sets of lockpick away. I'll show you how easy it is!”

“Another secret passage out of the fort.”

“Except guarded.”

Now I remember to grab the Monster Info for the Apprentice Mage.

Also – multiple enemies in close proximity Two fireballs clear them out.

“And this takes us back to the training area. Looks like we've circled around the front building.”

“Seems to be a barracks of some sort.”

“Did you decide that before or after you reduced the stew they were cooking to unsuitability with your magical bursts of destruction?”

“Before, obviously.”

“I'll take those arrows, but the bow is just another Cavewood one.”

“Actually, I think that's all of it. Let's go back to Emergence and see what's up. It's been a day, so they might have heard something back.”

“Already? Emergence to Portal to Tower to Castle and back in a day?”

“Well, they are establishing those teleportal pylons in important places, so it could be done if the people run.”

“Or use magic.”

“Or both.”

“Huh, actually a clean side-cave.”

“{HAIL!}”

“{They were in a side cave to the north-east, honored blade. I came upon them and slew a great many, and now return to Fort Emergence for rest.}”

“{I hear your words and believe then, Art-Iktah. Know this – the honored Rentar-Ihrno is in Ghrika, and knows of your presence here. She bids you seek her out, that she may convey her own wisdom to you.}”

“{I hear the words of my elders and will obey.}”

“Did anyone else catch any of that?”

“How hard could lock picking be?”

“You just put the things in and jiggle, right?

“What is this? I don't even?!?”

“How do people make this look easy?

“No! No! No!”

“Please?”

“AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

10 points into Lockpicking for Bronwyn. I don't regret spending those at all as it saves SP on my mages.

“Ah, Art. Good timing. I got word back.”

“That was quick. What of it?”

“I can't believe I'm saying this, but in the words of King Micah and Prince-Regent Karmas, you are hereby authorized to assist the Empire in dealing with threats to the Surface that they cannot resolve by themselves in the interests of diplomatic stability and for the peace and welfare of those who are not our enemies.”

“That's.... that's very open ended.”

“You're right it is. Which is why you're the only person I can think of who can do this.”

“Right, because anyone who knows me knows exactly what I do to people.”

“And yet Karmas struck down Hawthrone, and Kai-Lyss ripped Garzahd's mind apart. People still think it was you.”

“Such is leadership.”

“Still, orders are orders. Get to the Surface, find out the source of these slimes, and deal with it.”

“And if people officially think it's us, and we're cleaning up the mess to make us look nice?”

“I will trust you.”

“Thanks.”

“Alright, let's figure this out, and then get on to serious work.”

Sorry for the short update, but it's just the way things worked out. I did a little extra training that I didn't show off because it's mostly boosting STR/AGI/INT for people. Art, however, is still sitting on 30 skill points as she's just too efficient, and I keep running into gold shortages.

Some people in the thread wanted me to show off the descriptions of some of the more... benign objects in Exile's item inventory. Well, here they are!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

LuffyVeggies posted:

You missed a couple of things in the Goblin and Bandit dungeons, but the one in the Goblin is actually pretty hard to find (and is just something like 300 gold), and the other is that door you couldn't unlock in the Captain's room, so it's understandable.

I'm going to be coming back through once I (legit) get Magic Map and do 'things missed'. It's just that this game is far more 'goal' oriented than the previous two games, and I'm keeping an eye on the clock. Once I'm clear of the Slimes, I can advance a bit on my own pace and do a bit more thorough exploration.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Don't worry, I'll get everything (or at least as much as I can). I'm just not pushing things due to the narrative structure.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Update 07 – Jordan's Tower

"It occurs to me to wonder what our leads are in this particular investigation."

"Well, we do have the word of the nice lady in Krizsan who saw a mysterious tower to the west of the city."

"You suspect that it is relevant?"

"It doesn't matter, does it? It's something that needs to be looked into. If it's relevant, good, if it's not, then that's one place we can ignore in the future."

"Have you done that sort of thing before?"

"What? Attacked potentially hazardous towers of mages on half-cocked information and a prayer of good luck? Not this week."

"What happened last week?"

"I joined you guys."

"We can cross here, and head down the river that way, cover new ground."

I really hope you're happy, people who voted for the guy with chronic disease.

"Well, there are less trees on this side of the river, should be a clearer run."

"That's sad. We need to destroy these Slimes!"

"I agree. The economic disruption is going to be catastrophic if this keeps going."

"But how long has this been going on?"

"Delan... Yep, that's on the map."

"It can't have been going on for too long, else things would be even more desperate. There's only so much blame passing, and holding out hope for the Empire to come save you before you take action yourself."

"But people with that sort of independence of action, well, they tended to end up in Exile."

"And no one has been sent down there in ten years! Sending them to the final frontier of Valorim would be the next best thing."

"Why is it a bad thing, being able to act?"

"The Empire has a love-hate relationship with heroes. Those who excel, but dare not fit into the mould the Empire creates for them are broken down in the end, unable to keep doing what made them great in the first place.”

“That sounds like a story.”

“I'm old, but not that old.”

“If she was right, then the tower should be on the other side of these hills... mountain range?”

“Sounds about right.”

“Marshland at the mouth of the river. How very normal.”

“But nothing here. We'll have to circle around to the other side.”

“What?”

“Weren't we told this? Some bandits able to travel or direct Slimes?”

“Doesn't matter, they get blown up all the same by fireballs.”

“Curious though, the Slimes are fairly easy to dissipate with concussive force. You would expect something... I don't know... stronger?”

“Maybe they're... what's the word for a first version of something, where you know there's going to be problems?”

“Prototype.”

“It's certainly a prospect. If you look at it, the Emerald Slimes are the base form, little more that oversized goo. Then you get the Amber and Ochre with their offensive ability, then finally the Mauve, that can cast spells.”

“That a Slime has the presence of mind to cast spells still boggles my mind.”

“Well, a second layer of defences, just as easily beaten by judicious use of fireballs and sharp objects.”

“YAY!”

“Not much of a 'tower'. I can see why people would miss it.”

In fact, this dungeon doesn't appear until you talk to Dawn back in Krizsan. No sequence breaking here!

“How... quaint.”

“Hrm, what do those signs say?”

“This is way too easy. Something is off here.”

“You are worried about good fortune?”

“It does seem a bit suspicious.”

“Well, there's no way to go but forward.”

:doh:

“Look, you haven't hurt us. We haven't hurt you. Can we just talk this out?”

“No!”

“You tried.”

It's like they want me to Fireball them!

“Well, it is a good defensive position against more conventional attacks.”

“Oh come on!”

“HAHA!”

“Hah! We don't need Fireballs for this!”

“No, but it's still helpful.”

“Hey, don't I know you?”

“Why do people keep saying that? :black101:

“Well, that seems like most of them. Spread out, careful. Look around for things of interest.”

“Found the basement.”

“We'll come back later.”

“Found a locked door. Or rather, it was locked.” :smuggo:

“This is bullshit!”

“I'm not interested in walking through those unless I have to. We should come back later once Niarl or Matthias can dispel the barrier properly.”

“Won't be for a while yet. That's advanced magic.”

“Hey! Look what I found!”

“And how we're trapped outside! How delightful! An escape route!”

This is the only way to get this 100 gold. Now you just have to step to the west to leave the dungeon, then come back in through the front door.

“We've done the west side thoroughly. Time to go down the middle.”

“Aw... You'd think they would have at least released ravenous monsters for us to fight.”

“Really?”

“No, they would probably send Slimes instead, and that's not as fun.”

“Everyone, be careful.”

“Yes, a garbage pit. How dangerous.”

“Hey, you never know!”

“There's something on that altar down there...”

“May I please have a lizard shank for supper?”

Uh... that's an Imp? I don't think so! That's an Imp! Dammit Vogel, stop changing things around! I have to mess with graphics files to get things right again!

Also, dangerous. Two attacks, excellent combat skill, and Mage 2, Priest 2 for multiple combat options.

“Watch were you're aiming that! Ow!”

“Sorry! Sorry! The demon dodged!”

I swear, I aimed for the demon, but my hand must have slipped as I clicked in the attack – Art got hit instead. Thankfully Matthias was able to heal her up a little.

“....”

“I'm sorry! Really! I am!”

“...”

“WELL WELL WELL.”

“Hey guys! Extreme Danger! We should do this instead of fighting each other!”

:doh:

“That's my line, priestess.”

“Does anyone hear anything?”

“Nope!”

“He's right, it's pretty quiet. Maybe it's a bluff?”

“Or we could have just needed to wait to get the smell.”

“Everyone, careful.”

And save.

“AAAGH!”

Meet the Spiny Worm! Just LOOK at those stats! Yes, it deals 6-72 damage before armor. Yes it has 100 HP, and is a Level 15 critter where Art is the highest in the party at level 7. But what's really new about it, and new to the Exile series in general is that it is that it takes up multiple tiles on the board. Here, let me show you the monster picture from the files:

Now, while I
could try to take this guy out now, I'm not in the best condition. Matthias just got diseased, Ni'aurrl is out of Spells, and I don't want to risk the Worm rolling high on its damage and skipping the whole '0HP Save'. I re-load the save.

“Well, I think there's something moving back there, but it ignored us.”

“I think we're getting closer to the source of these things.”

'Where has to be something here, right?”

“Killbox!”

“Ugh, these benches make things harder than they should be.”

“Still, lots of dead slimes.”

“Seriously? This guy has a 'throne' – and I use the word as ironically as possible, surrounded by various Slimes? He's a showman, and failing at the theatrics.”

“Maybe it's a prototype for when he demands the Empire bow to their knees before him? Showing that he can control the Slimes that are ruining the world?”

“I think you give this guy too much credit.”

“This.. is going to hurt.”

If I had Move Mountains as a spell, I could get access to the boss fight directly by blowing out the lower-right corner of the throne room. I don't, so I have to do this the hard way. But first, I fall back and see if I can get around him.

“drat, doesn't look like it.”

“And where did he get these?!?!”

“We can ask him?”

“We can beat the answer out of him with this stick I found!”

Yes, you can use a stick as a weapon. Bashing type for 1-4 damage.

“No. Here's the plan. We rest up, then Bronwyn, Sass and I charge in to him to keep him occupied. Everyone else, stay back and support with spells.”

Jordan's stats do not reflect the 12 points of damage he already took. And holy poo poo, he has Mage 4? He can cast Slow Group! And Curse All! If his AI was as smart as I am, I'd be SCREWED.

“Fireball!

And this is what immunity looks like – you don't even register the damage, let alone take '0'.

:sigh: Bronwyn's dead thanks to the Slimes. Reload. No Monster stats for the slimes or Gremlins at this point.

“Wow, that poison works better than I was expecting!”

Yeah, he died when he took 70% of his max HP as poison damage after Art hit him twice and poisoned Jordan on both hits.

“What's in these pots?”

“Ugh.”

“Nasty, nasty stuff. But four pots, four types of Slime.”

“Should we destroy them now?”

“Wait until we're on our way out first. No sense in leaving a mess we'll just have to cross over again.”

“Matthias, Delilah, Ni'aurrl, start going through those shelves. I got the desk. Sass and Bronwyn, keep an eye out.”

“And there is a lot in the desk.”

“That piece of paper looks interesting. What's on it?”

“A map?”

“Wait, Silvar? But that's a city in Exile!”

“Actually, our Silvar is named for a city on the Surface. It's possible this one is the same.”

“The Slime Pit? Is that where these things came from? He didn't cook them up in a lab?”

“Actually, I found his biography.”

I call bullshit. Stealth is a Tier 5 spell, but Jordan's stats only put him at casting Tier 4 spells.

“So, fireballs can destroy Slime Pits, where they form naturally. Good to know.”

“For you and me both.”

“Aww, I want to throw Fireballs around.”

“And with plenty of practice, you can!”

:)

“Hold on, there's a note here. Apparently he made a Pit here, it's just past the storage rooms.”

“Careful of those fumes. They can knock you out, and you'll be sleeping away the rest of this.”

“I got this.”

“Got it in one!” :smuggo:

:catholic: “Hey, no celebrating like that.”

“The structure must contain a multitude of volatile compounds to detonate like that. I doubt these things were formed naturally.”

“That just means we need to blow them up more!”

“Not really. A Flame spell won't trigger a cataclysmic organic molecule delay, while a Priests Firestorm is overkill for the task.”

“So noted.”

“And the way back up. Finally!”

“Considering this leads directly to his Slime Pit, I think it's just more of Jordan's quarters back in the building above.”

“Right!”

“Still, we should finish checking things out, and clearing out the last of the bandits. Don't want them to get any ideas.”

“I bet this is a lever for a trap door!”

“YOU IDIOT!”

“What did that do?”

“I have no clue.”

“Strong enough to hold a Slime, but they were all killed when we took out that Pit.”

“We'll check, just in case.”

“Huh.”

“Safe water resource.”

“Quiet.”

“I smell food!”

“Found food!”

“This boat is in a weird place.”

“Expecting something back here?”

“Something.”

“Fresh water! Nice cistern.”

“I found some Comfrey Root in a store room.”

“Ugh, Dancing Boots. Why do these show up everywhere? Toss'em.”

“Lookit me! I got a new Halberd! This'll be so awesome!”

“Careful where you swing that thing!”

“Seriously, where did everyone go?”

“Hello?”

“Not a bad operation down here. Not enough to feed everyone, but it will stretch rations in case of a siege, or they have to avoid towns for a while.”

“That's it, back upstairs.”

“And they're all gone. I mean, maybe some will come back after their patrols or raids, but I think we scared them all away.”

If you come through here without first pulling the lever in Jordan's 'proper' throne room, you get this message:

And you drop down into the basement.

Oh yes, if you sleep/camp, Matthias' disease can still kick in, and get at least one trigger before the rest auto-cancels.

“Alright, next stop is the town of Delan. It's the closest, and if Jordan had contact with civilization, that's a good place to start checking out. If that doesn't pan out, we head back east and go through Silvar and ... Cochis was it? Then the Slime Pit.”

“Or we could deal with those soldiers first?”

“Crap.”

“There's no way they didn't recognize us as Exiles. Sass kinda gives it away.”

“HEY!”

“I think they're not concerned with us because the Slimes are attacking. And truth be told, we are looking a little worn ourselves from the same thing.”

“Or perhaps the Mayor of Krizsan informed them of our presence, and as long as we're helping, they'll leave us be?”

“Don't matter much, we're here.”

berryjon fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 4, 2016

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Glazius posted:

They're getting pretty serious with the slime thing. I suppose it's the first major surface plotline and Exile is where the real newbie stuff happens?

Upper Exile has... four plot events to deal with over the course of the game. The one least related to the overall plot is a Murder Mystery in one of the towns. They get spread out over time, but two of them can be triggered by completing quests on Valorim, or waiting for a certain day to roll around.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

If you're finding Chronic Disease to be too much of a hassle, I for one wouldn't complain if you just shoved some Graymold Salve down Matthias' throat and replaced that defect with something less irritating, like Bad Back + Frail.

I may be a cheating cheater who cheats, but I have better plans for this than that!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

LuffyVeggies posted:

Wait, four plot events? I only remember two, and one of them doesn't happen until long into the game - so long that I completed the game before it happened. And I'm pretty sure that the Murder Mystery is more relevant to the plot than what you've implied.

Tower, Murder, Cult of Artifacts, Ghrika. Hrm, going to have to find time to explore Upper Exile a bit as well.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Here is the best response I can give:

You can move along any of the purple lines, although you tend to move upwards as the story progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

though you can also get Dispel Barrier up in the northern islands IIRC).

Dispel Barrier can only be gained in E2 through completing the Fort Emerald Quest and killing the guy with the Boots of Speed, there is no alternate location to get it.

• Locked thread