Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

waitwhatno posted:

CSU(hillbilly party; the party that has been ruling the state of Bavaria for all of its history) demands for Turkey to be declared a secure state, before any visa-free travel agreement can take place. They don't want any Turkish/Kurdish tourist to come here and apply for asylum from the Erdogan regime.

Meta irony on top of meta irony. It's meta all the way down.

That's actually not true. If your are a legitimate refugee you can still claim asylum, even if your country of origin is defined as secure, only the burden of proof is reversed. They simply don't want the problem they had with people from the Balkans to repeat with Turks.

Oh and the CSU is a very modern party that gets even defended by the only Green Ministerpräsident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Cat Mattress posted:

This is all a lot of crock. A business doesn't hire people because they can then fire them, it hires people if it needs people. And it needs people if its order book is full.

Expectations of future demand are a major consideration when hiring due to the costs of hiring and other factors. In countries where firing is more difficult a company must be even more certain the demand will last long enough or that the profit in the near term is great enough to risk future losses from overstaffing. What you are saying is an incredible oversimplification of how it really works in the business world, it's not just beep boop we need another widget like econ 101 would have you believe.

Of course there's lots of other factors but employment laws are absolutely a major component of the decision.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

TROIKA CURES GREEK posted:

Expectations of future demand are a major consideration when hiring due to the costs of hiring and other factors. In countries where firing is more difficult a company must be even more certain the demand will last long enough or that the profit in the near term is great enough to risk future losses from overstaffing. What you are saying is an incredible oversimplification of how it really works in the business world, it's not just beep boop we need another widget like econ 101 would have you believe.

Of course there's lots of other factors but employment laws are absolutely a major component of the decision.

So essentially you are saying that when it is extremely easy to fire people, and companies know that come next economic trouble lots of people are going to be unemployed, consumption is going to crater and the work orders are going to evaporate, they hire less?

I see.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

So uh, was that a serious post or not? I was on probation so I couldn't quote it, perhaps lucky for you? :v:

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

So apparently the impetus for the new Turkish deal with resettlement and visa-free Schengen access for Turkish citizens didn't come from the Turks at all - it was pushed by Merkel, behind everyone else's back: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f6c982ec-e54e-11e5-ac45-5c039e797d1c.html#axzz42OW2bIUR

Ok, this move really is the nail in the coffin for any respect I had for Merkel (granted as a yank that may not mean much). It was arguable (not very well mind you) that Merkel's administration had some prerogative to use German stature in the EU to influence policy in member states from a financial standpoint. However, this whole migrant crisis, from start to not-even-finished-yet, has demonstrated how out of touch and unilateral Merkel is being. It's not enough to unilaterally throw open the doors and tell every poor migrant (refugee or otherwise) "come on in!" and then demand your neighbors pitch in, now she is undermining their negotiations with Turkey with more unilateral back-room deals. Now I understand why Austria and the Balkan countries did their own planning without German involvement, otherwise Merkel would have canned the border closures and those countries would be facing another season of hundreds of thousands of migrants when this Turkey deal collapses. I gotta think that stuff like this back-stabbing will only hasten the move for countries like Austria, Slovenia, and the Visegrad group to try and solve issues alone or as a sub-group. What is the opinion of the Visegrad group in Slovenia, Austria, and other nearby nations? If I were them I'd start trying to expand membership in the club to Austria. This is starting to feel like that goon CK2 LP of the HRE.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Tesseraction posted:

So uh, was that a serious post or not? I was on probation so I couldn't quote it, perhaps lucky for you? :v:

Hahahaha I mean, it was a serious post, I think they deserve a look, but I erased because it was a derail, an objectifying one at that, which didn't add much to the conversation.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

So essentially you are saying that when it is extremely easy to fire people, and companies know that come next economic trouble lots of people are going to be unemployed, consumption is going to crater and the work orders are going to evaporate, they hire less?

I see.

They hire less people on relatively expensive permanent contracts. This is actually the flipside of employment protection legislation (EPL), because when a crisis comes companies fire fewer people than they would in a more flexible labour market. So while strong protections can hold down employment they also dampen unemployment. Companies are also more likely to invest in training for their employees when they are on permanent contracts (this effect may not apply to the public sector), and employees in turn will be more loyal. There is no strong evidence that EPL increases unemployment rates in general. What is however a bit more certain is that employment is slower to recover from crises in countries with strong EPL, and also that it shuts young people out of the labour market.

Of course in a country like Spain (or in any of the Mediterranean countries really), you have a large degree of segmentation in the labour market where a majority is well-protected in their jobs and the minority on temporary contracts have no security whatsoever. And the latter are always the first to lose their jobs in a recession. But you're probably not going to solve that problem simply by reducing employment security for everyone else too.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

waitwhatno posted:

CSU(hillbilly party; the party that has been ruling the state of Bavaria for all of its history) demands for Turkey to be declared a secure state, before any visa-free travel agreement can take place. They don't want any Turkish/Kurdish tourist to come here and apply for asylum from the Erdogan regime.

Meta irony on top of meta irony. It's meta all the way down.

Why would a Turkish tourist need to request asylum in Germany while the Ankara agreement already gives him extensive freedom of movement with regards to the EU? :ohdear:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Pluskut Tukker posted:

But you're probably not going to solve that problem simply by reducing employment security for everyone else too.

I agree but I see no other policy proposed either from Brussels or the PP.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
This new deal and plan seems awfully similar to the one that the UK has advocated from the beginning.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

khwarezm posted:

I always like the way Scottish nationalists say they'd let in Wales and the north to show how cool and inclusive they are, but either conspicuously avoid mentioning Northern Ireland or are openly hostile to the notion that they would have to shoulder any responsibility there despite having much stronger cultural links.

That's because Northern Ireland is a wild case.

The best thing to do is to not bother with them. Let what's left of the UK handle that poo poo.

Lagotto
Nov 22, 2010
http://balkanist.net/turkeys-mysterious-disappearing-refugees/

quote:

Official refugee estimates by the United Nations and the Turkish government are calculated by registration instead of tracking, thereby including hundreds of thousands who have found refuge in Europe or returned home. By John Butler and S. Keleşoğlu.

Over 2015, Europe experienced a refugee influx of historical proportions. The relative trickle of Mediterranean boat people became a flood, with EU border management agency Frontex counting 880,000 asylum seekers taking the dangerous sea route to Greece. Meanwhile, mass migration along the land route from Turkey to Europe became a practical possibility for the first time: one million are estimated to have arrived in Germany alone.

Yet over the same time period, the number of Syrian refugees registered in Turkey by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) went from 1.5 million to 2.5 million. This ever-increasing number (it currently stands at over 2.6 million), formulated in conjunction with the Turkish government, is being accepted uncritically by aid groups and government officials, but Turkey’s surprisingly-quiet cities suggest that something different is happening on the ground.

If the above figures are right, then, even without counting anyone who went on to Europe, over 80,000 refugees must have crossed the Syrian border into Turkey every month in 2015. However, during that year, Turkey closed off large sections of the border, and the principal population movement noted by some observers was in the other direction, as rebel gains in Idlib alongside the Kurdish victory in Kobani and continued expansion within the northeast meant that many who fled have been able to return to their homes.

So where are these vanishing hundreds of thousands of refugees in Turkey? The answer is that while a great deal of effort has gone into counting refugee arrivals, there are no effective mechanisms in place for counting those who leave. The only indicator we have that takes account of those leaving is the number living in camps: a figure that only increased from approximately 230,000 to 270,000 over the course of 2015. The Coordination Group of Afghan Refugees in Turkey, on the other hand, says that their figures suggest that fewer than 7,000 of 94,000 registered Afghan refugees remain in the country.

Would be really funny if this turns out to be true.

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008

Lagotto posted:

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Erdogan gets to claim that he's having to shoulder all 2.6 million refugees all by himself (which helps his extortion efforts) through the power of his world compassion, meanwhile he quietly lets them all through on their way to Greece and the EU. I simply do not understand why anyone takes anything the Turkish government says at face value anymore; Erdogan and the AKP is blatantly pulling a little Putin act, just without the shirtless pictures. I wouldn't be surprised if Erdogan tries to annex Cyprus or something equally retarded.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Extreme0 posted:

That's because Northern Ireland is a wild case.

The best thing to do is to not bother with them. Let what's left of the UK handle that poo poo.

You say that now but when we close our borders to your overflow on the 12th you'll regret this

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Dawncloack posted:

I agree but I see no other policy proposed either from Brussels or the PP.

'Brussels' is actually proposing tons of policies to help (at least, that's the intention) the Spanish economy and labour market, and subsidizing them too. There's a whole framework of coordination of member state economic policies, the European Semester which for instance issued recommendation for Spain to improve the quality and effectiveness of job search assistance and counselling, to improve the coverage of the regional minimum income schemes, and a bunch of other things. But it is rather toothless in actually getting the member states to comply with the regulations and it doesn't get a lot of press attention either (also, the associated documents function really well as sleeping aids). The liberalization obviously gets more attention because it's the most contentious part and affects the most people directly.

Also, of course, without Brussels there might very well not be a Spanish banking system anymore. No argument on the PP though.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

kustomkarkommando posted:

You say that now but when we close our borders to your overflow on the 12th you'll regret this

That's why I'm planning on building a wall like the one in Doomsday.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Randler posted:

Why would a Turkish tourist need to request asylum in Germany while the Ankara agreement already gives him extensive freedom of movement with regards to the EU? :ohdear:

Apparently, Kurdish refugees from Turkey have been coming to Germany for quite some time now. They have been one of the largest asylum seeker groups, before the gates of hades where thrown open last summer.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lagotto posted:

Yes, of course. Idiot Europe Magoo just forgot to subtract all those people leaving Turkey. Luckily, the brilliant journalists at balkanist.net noticed the discrepancy and saved the world. Thank God!

Dominionix
Feb 27, 2007

Because you touch yourself at night...
I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I really don't browse D&D that much and I can't find one anywhere: Is there a thread specifically dedicated to the "Brexit" (UK referendum on EU membership), or a thread which covers it in any reasonable amount of detail?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Dominionix posted:

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but I really don't browse D&D that much and I can't find one anywhere: Is there a thread specifically dedicated to the "Brexit" (UK referendum on EU membership), or a thread which covers it in any reasonable amount of detail?

There's no specific thread, it's been discussed both here and in the UKMT at times, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head whether either was in a reasonable amount of detail though tbh.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Mario is at it again, throwing money across Europe hoping some of it sticks and causes inflation.

Dominionix posted:

The UKMT covers the topic in much more detail and variety (you get a lot of really crazy justifications for leaving) but the signal-to-noise ratio in that thread is really hard to bear at times.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

GaussianCopula posted:

Mario is at it again, throwing money across Europe hoping some of it sticks and causes inflation.
He apparently had a couple of panzerschrecks in reserve to back up his beeg bazooka.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

He apparently had a couple of panzerschrecks in reserve to back up his beeg bazooka.

He should just accept that he can't emulate fiscal policy without limits and stop this madness.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

GaussianCopula posted:

He should just accept that he can't emulate fiscal policy without limits and stop this madness.
Perhaps if fiscal policy were more accommodating, he wouldn't need to take extraordinary measures to have any hope of reaching his treaty-mandated inflation target.

e: permitting the purchase of corporate bonds within a QE program is pretty bold, however.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

LemonDrizzle posted:

Perhaps if fiscal policy were more accommodating, he wouldn't need to take extraordinary measures to have any hope of reaching his treaty-mandated inflation target.

e: permitting the purchase of corporate bonds within a QE program is pretty bold, however.

The inflation target is not treaty mandated but a ECB governing council decision, the treaty just calls for the ECB to maintain price stability.

LemonDrizzle posted:

It was either that or deviating from the capital key, as there was simply not enough debt in certain countries to buy up and just imagine what would have happened if they did that?

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 10, 2016

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/707991895960584192

oh god not again

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

To be honest that seems like pretty poor wording at the end there. I hope.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

LGD posted:

Heh, drat you for making me laugh at this.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

LGD posted:

lol

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Yeah no this is non event.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Spree killers are like natural disasters at this point imho

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
"The Morning Star is read by the people who think the country ought to be run by another country. And the Daily Telegraph is read by people who think it is."

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Coverage of Draghi's expanded QE program in the German press:

:mad: !!!!Our savings!!!! :mad:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
At this point the most important question is probably which bubble is Mario fueling and how can you profit from its burst.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There are no winners in a currency war, just relentless retaliation until both sides realize that its futile.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Xoidanor posted:

There are no winners in a currency war, just relentless retaliation until both sides realize that its futile.

That's not even the objective. Draghi's primary objective is to keep state financing costs low by propping up their banks and to allow uncompetitive Euro countries to regain competitiveness without (too much) devaluation. The biggest bubble he is fueling therefore is government debt. But because Wolfi is a smart man that does not fall for the tricks of this feckless Italian, he simply lets the air out of the German government debt bubble on the other side by keeping his "Schwarze Null", which basically makes it an exercise in futility.

Mario's wet dream is probably a Eurozone inflation of exactly 2% with Germany (and maybe the Netherlands) being the only outlier above it and everyone else keeping well below, thereby increasing their competitiveness without going through internal devaluation, but his chances of achieving that goal are about as good as those of me having a threesome with Scarlett Johansson and Jessica Alba tonight.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

It's really rather amusing how, in the years prior to the euro crisis, the ECB held interest rates low to stimulate the German economy and thus fuelled the credit bubble in the GIIPS, and people are screaming bloody murder now that the situation is the reverse. It's almost as if the euro was a really bad idea.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
I'd say it wasn't that bad of an idea. Just, as with everything, executed poorly.

That seems to be a running theme when it comes to most anything European by now TBH. But the main worry for me is that, for the most part, no one in a position of power seems willing to learn from mistakes.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

I'd say it wasn't that bad of an idea. Just, as with everything, executed poorly.

That seems to be a running theme when it comes to most anything European by now TBH. But the main worry for me is that, for the most part, no one in a position of power seems willing to learn from mistakes.

Learn from mistakes? That's now how you spell double down. Better get on Merkel's level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

It's really rather amusing how, in the years prior to the euro crisis, the ECB held interest rates low to stimulate the German economy and thus fuelled the credit bubble in the GIIPS, and people are screaming bloody murder now that the situation is the reverse. It's almost as if the euro was a really bad idea.

A) Doing the same thing and expecting different results is the definition of insanity.
B) The situation is not reversed. The ECB is continuing to stimulate the German economy, or to be more precise, it's financing the refugee crisis/Wolfi's Schwarze Null. They just had to expand the types of debt they are allowed to buy under QE because there is too little German debt available.
C) Southern Europe lacks the economic infrastructure that can be stimulated.