Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Orange Devil posted:

AFAIK Finnish military doctrine in the event of invasion by Russia (which is like, the scenario their entire armed forces have been built around for decades) and the Finns not getting stomped to gently caress is to push back to the borders and then stop.

Let's all act like this is insanity though.

Well, the premise is that Russia somehow rebuilds the Red Army and overruns Eastern Europe likes it's 1945, so we're already in fantasy land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kassad posted:

Well, the premise is that Russia somehow rebuilds the Red Army and overruns Eastern Europe likes it's 1945, so we're already in fantasy land.

which is why I'm not particularly sure why we would want an EU army in the first place

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

an EU army would presumably be an army of the actual EU as it exists today and not some fantasy creature, I.e. it wod be wholly subservient to NATO and US interests and be built with integration into present command structures in mind

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
eu as a whole definitely has a bunch of nukes so beyond a token platoon to deter invasions by a theoretical insane dictator what's even the point of an army anymore?

they're stupid and cost money and keep the MIC going. worthless garbage

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

AFAIK Finnish military doctrine in the event of invasion by Russia (which is like, the scenario their entire armed forces have been built around for decades) and the Finns not getting stomped to gently caress is to push back to the borders and then stop.

Let's all act like this is insanity though.

From a practical stand-point, there's not enough Finns to invade and man Russia, even near our borders, let alone Moscow or Vladivostok. The entire balance of the situation hinges on the idea, which is realized by both sides here, that Russia trying to man Finland would be an Afghanistan-level disaster due to guerilla warfare, so it's easier for them to just leave us be. I'm not convinced the same kind of logic would apply, on either side really, if the EU decided to arm itself up and have a huge multi-national standing military. That's sort of the thing that Russia is afraid of, and that hasn't changed in a few hundred years.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Andrast posted:

which is why I'm not particularly sure why we would want an EU army in the first place

To bomb countries in the global south, or Greece I guess if they fall behind on repayments.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

V. Illych L. posted:

an EU army would presumably be an army of the actual EU as it exists today and not some fantasy creature, I.e. it wod be wholly subservient to NATO and US interests and be built with integration into present command structures in mind

Whereas the main theoretical value of an EU army in my mind would be to end the de-facto vassal relationship with the US.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Orange Devil posted:

Whereas the main theoretical value of an EU army in my mind would be to end the de-facto vassal relationship with the US.

:same:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

That's the only reason this is even being discussed in the big rooms so I'm confused why anyone would think otherwise. The point is to build an armed force capable of operating without NATO-aid or in-country bickering. :confused:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MiddleOne posted:

That's the only reason this is even being discussed in the big rooms so I'm confused why anyone would think otherwise. The point is to build an armed force capable of operating without NATO-aid or in-country bickering. :confused:
Even if it's not designed to decouple the EU from America, that seems like an inevitable consequences anyway. Like, a theoretical EU spending as much as America on "defense" would be strong enough to follow its own interests (and not to follow the US when it is against its interests), inevitably causing a fissure in the relationship.

The possibility for grift and roundabout support for poorer countries is another reason to promote it. R&D in the rich countries, manufacturing spread out across the EU, recruitment as a way to absorb unemployment among the parts of the population most likely to start poo poo. Which incidentally ties into the relationship with America, with the EU demanding a fair distribution of manufacturing of NATO material, rather than subsidizing American manufacturers.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It would also (hopefully) put and end to the era of expensive national paper tigers. An overwhelming amount of EU countries have armed forces incapable of mounting any real national defense, much less coordinating with each other. They're financial black boxes that euros go into and american tech comes out of.

Not that an EU-army is ever going to happen. At least not within the confines of the current EU supranational structure.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of the comedy gold of the idea of cross-EU democratic elections. Imagine the campaigns.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded of the comedy gold of the idea of cross-EU democratic elections. Imagine the campaigns.

"Kippers vote for us we'll keep the Pollacks out"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Orange Devil posted:

I don't know how that would work if most of the significant contributors would still be part of NATO, if anything it would be a way to tie formally neutral members of the EU to what is structure that will be heavily influenced by the US/NATO even if it legally separate. If anything, I would say a dream scenario for the US.

Also, it would probably heighten tensions with Russia since now a "EU Army" is on another one of their borders. If anything I would guess that would be a point.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ardennes posted:

I don't know how that would work if most of the significant contributors would still be part of NATO,

The USA would never allow a unified EU counterweight to its own interests within NATO, so de facto the choice becomes "do we stay part of NATO or do we set up an EU military knowing full well it means we'll have to drop out of NATO?"

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

we could just drop out of NATO right now and restructure our militaries so they're something else than funnels of tribute to overseas overlords

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deltasquid posted:

The USA would never allow a unified EU counterweight to its own interests within NATO, so de facto the choice becomes "do we stay part of NATO or do we set up an EU military knowing full well it means we'll have to drop out of NATO?"
I’m reminded of the USSRs application for NATO membership. Because that is functionally what it’d be. Sure, less ideological conflict, but diverging agendas nonetheless.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
In the event that the EU becomes united enough and motivated enough to create a centralized army of it's own the question for the United States then becomes either kicking the majority of NATO out of NATO and pissing off it's most important military ally, or learning to treat NATO as something more than an instrument of solely it's own influence.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Nilbop posted:

In the event that the EU becomes united enough and motivated enough to create a centralized army of it's own the question for the United States then becomes either kicking the majority of NATO out of NATO and pissing off it's most important military ally, or learning to treat NATO as something more than an instrument of solely it's own influence.

That or simply's co-opting that EU army because Europe would be too fragmented to have a coherent foreign policy even if it did have its own army.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

eu as a whole definitely has a bunch of nukes so beyond a token platoon to deter invasions by a theoretical insane dictator what's even the point of an army anymore?

they're stupid and cost money and keep the MIC going. worthless garbage

Because everybody knows that nukes aren't going to fly if somebody attacks Finland or Lithuania.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Thanks for confirming Finland should have nukes of their own.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The US did plan on nuking northern parts of Finland if the Soviets decided to march through, since that'd slow the conventional forces down somewhat (well, this was the theory anyway) and they didn't want those dang Russians to reach Norway, which had / has (?) important air ports for ferrying nukes deeper into Russia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Every country should have nukes, tbh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rappaport posted:

The US did plan on nuking northern parts of Finland if the Soviets decided to march through, since that'd slow the conventional forces down somewhat (well, this was the theory anyway) and they didn't want those dang Russians to reach Norway, which had / has (?) important air ports for ferrying nukes deeper into Russia.

That was if WWII kicked off, not if little green men popped up around Helsinki.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

That was if WWII kicked off

:ohdear:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I'll be deep in the cold, cold ground before I recognize the Great War as one of the World Wars.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

We respect all faiths here in the Joint European Task Force, so it's all good!

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

V. Illych L. posted:

we could just drop out of NATO right now and restructure our militaries so they're something else than funnels of tribute to overseas overlords

I mean, we could try, but I doubt the US would let us.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
There's also the question of all those American soldiers on our soil, which, I have been repeatedly assured, are there for our own good.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i sincerely doubt that there's domestic appetite for invading belgium or whereever in the US

i'm sure there would be an inexplicable uptick in terrorist attacks and expropriations of foreign holdings, but NATO is actively making everything worse

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Certainly the EU creating their own army wouldn't be a hilarious operational failure as well as an epicenter of corruption and human rights violations

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Lord Stimperor posted:

Certainly the EU creating their own army wouldn't be a hilarious operational failure as well as an epicenter of corruption and human rights violations

So, an army then

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

we've tried it already, i still resent malta for not voting for us back in 90 something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxPdRRj_v5Y

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly recall that Germany would probably have lots of English language campaign material and never broadcast any of it outside of Germany, while the French would go 'gently caress you, vote for me' in every other language.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Holy poo poo Macron has gone full insane

https://twitter.com/zahrabilloo/status/1329696098340859910?s=21

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How the gently caress is separating out children for their religion upholding secularism?
I’d be all for Macron publicly reading one of the CH issues and parading it into the camera. This however is Orwellian bullshit.

(it’s for ensuring children attend schools, and comes with a crackdown on homeschooling.)

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's unclear in the article whether the attendance register will be all children or the children of parents deemed "muslim" by the state. Where is the Twitter account getting its quote from?

I mean, I'd assume the worst given that it's France and Macron but is there an actual statement.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

The Twitter account flat-out made up the headline. The article itself makes no such distinction:

quote:

The measures include a wide-ranging bill that seeks to prevent radicalisation. It was unveiled on Wednesday, and includes measures such as:

Restrictions on home-schooling and harsher punishments for those who intimidate public officials on religious grounds
Giving children an identification number under the law that would be used to ensure they are attending school. Parents who break the law could face up to six months in jail as well as large fines
A ban on sharing the personal information of a person in a way that allows them to be located by people who want to harm them

The implication here would reasonably be that these identification numbers be given out to all children to ensure they are attending school. Apart from anything else, it would be an easy system to avoid if it were targeted just at Muslims by simply saying you weren't Muslim.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The law is never going to be targeting muslims because it's in fact illegal to record people's ethnicity and religion. Doesn't mean it's not openly being done in response to a "Muslim problem", they're just keeping the bill legal so the Conseil Constitutionnel doesn't throw it out. The ban on hijabs in schools was also written as a law banning all religious symbols. Guess how that was enforced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Nobody is pretending it isn't being done in response to the multiple beheadings and bombings. In fact both the government and media are making that link at every opportunity.