Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Merkel most certainly is no Frank Underwood or can you imagine her having sex with a 20 something year old reporter? (If you can, I'm sorry because that image will haunt you for the rest of your life)

Don't forget the threesome with her security detail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

There are no winners in a currency war, just relentless retaliation until both sides realize that its futile.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

I'd say it wasn't that bad of an idea. Just, as with everything, executed poorly.

That seems to be a running theme when it comes to most anything European by now TBH. But the main worry for me is that, for the most part, no one in a position of power seems willing to learn from mistakes.

Learn from mistakes? That's now how you spell double down. Better get on Merkel's level.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Randler posted:

For Germany at least, it's probably real estate.

Except that Germany is the only European country with a sane rental market that is not dirt poor...?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think it's mostly a divide between if you consider the EU collapsing on itself like a house of cards a good or a bad thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Summer last year was when the EU entered its death throes, a succesful Brexit would be nothing more than a mercy killing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Every time a nation works around EU treaties or legislationthe institutions that make up the EU lose relevance. Empires don't fall overnight, they fade slowly into distant memory.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

The EU is the opposite of an empire since all members actively aspired towards membership and they all decided to maintain individual veto powers.

Technically yes, but the intention was always that the EU would erode the nation states until it was too late to resist. The EU is a collaboration of international organizations that dwarfs even the UN in scope and ambitition. Everything from the Lisbon treaty, regional empowerment legislation, common currency, pan european identity policies, EU parliament, schengen to the open ended limitations of EU member state inclusion was tailored from the ground up to facilitate the building of a federalized European superstate that could see its borders expand forever through the spread of western liberal democracy. Before 2008 we were seeing institutions successfully peel power from both states, the European Council and the Council of Ministers. The EU was so close to reaching its vision until the Lehman Brothers crash snapped it from its fingers. What we're seeing now is the reversal of all that, every part of it is getting actively subverted for every day that passes.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 13, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Germany didn't have a housing bubble.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/mar/16/france-state-of-emergency-many-forms-pupils-allowed-to-smoke-in-school-paris

quote:

But one of France’s lesser-known special safety precautions against terror attacks is that high-school children, aged around 15 and up, are now allowed to smoke in their own school playgrounds.

For decades, the huge crowds of Paris high-schoolers puffing away on pavements just outside their lycée front-doors in break-time, rolling tobacco – and a few of them, let’s face it, rolling other substances – has been firmly part of the Paris landscape. Hundreds of them do it. You can find your way to Paris’s lycées by following the haze of smoke during the 10am 10-minute break between philosophy and economics.

But these crowds of smoking teenagers started to make the state feel uneasy. If Paris was now vulnerable to cars full of gunmen with Kalashnikovs pulling up and firing on crowds, surely the school-age smokers were an easy target? It was a grim risk that schools no longer wanted to take. Particularly after a wave of hoax bomb threats against lycées last month. France remains haunted by a fear of children being targeted in terrorist attacks.

Is this real? :psyduck:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jippa posted:

Which bit? It seems pretty sensible to me.

Unless Paris is turning into Baghdad anytime soon the second-hand smoke will kill more people than any terror attack ever would. It's just such a weird policy decision.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Turkey is like a living breathing reminder that the declaration of human rights and values of western liberal democracy all mean dick in the face of realpolitik.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

the focus with closing the balkan route is also stupid in a big way. if there's one thing refugee crises have taught us, it's that people can and will find new, less safe routes when the safer ones are closed down

I don't know if we are watching the same game unfold here but team Europe clearly is not part of that "us". They haven't learned anything except how to dig their heads into the sand and ignore reality.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aren't we already seeing more coming over Russia considering the recent diplomatic tassle between Russia and Norway?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I love all the people acting like this will discourage people who were already so desperate as to try to cross the Mediterranean in a rubbery dingy while perfectly aware there was a strong change they would drown.

What did Europe learn from Lampedusa? Not a god drat thing it turns out.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Toplowtech posted:

the emergency state laws don't allow people to form group of more than 3 people in the streets

:stare:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All hail the EU. Officially undeveloping countries with its economic policies.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Just quickly from Wikipedia, German road fatalities are pretty low no matter what way you slice it, unless you compare to Sweden that's gone for 100% driver safety instead of having roads that are fun to drive

Trafikverket! :argh:

While I do prefer not dying on the roads it can get a tad obnoxious at times.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 23, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Our politicians on both sides are just proudly passing along the bomb in the hope that it won't blow when they're in government. :sweden:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Randler posted:

Private interest expenses lower the tax base in Sweden? :staredog:

It's quite possibly one of the worst tax deduction ideas of all time a nation can get.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

It promotes development of new homes because it subsidizes new home purchases.

Tell that to our simultaneous housing shortage and housing bubble.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

We have a Nobel price waiting for you if you can successfully "softly" deflate a housing bubble. It has literally never been done.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Orange Devil posted:

Well to be fair it wasn't quite so terrible when it was implemented. However, it turns out some things have changed since 1893.

Cheap credit ruins everything.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ministers are dropping like flies.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Maybe, MAYBE, just maybe Germany shouldn't have watched Greece burn all those months ago.

You mean that there are consequences to bullying a nation state for years with no end in sight? No way.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

They've also been struggling to get any traction in the media for the last 3 months and it's not for lack of trying. They yet to find an unique angle now that the debate has shifted from immigration to integration. For example, they recently had a press conference where they proposed solving school segregation by creating completely segregated schools for immigrants(:lol:), this proposal got almost no attention. The integration debate is entirely focused on labour laws and wages right now which puts them with their opinion of "we like both ideas" in the squarely uncontroversial corner.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 11, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

Well if you think about it, it's the logical conclusion of multicultarist championing of difference.

That's because mono-culturalism and multi-culturalism are very similiar in what they politically entail. Both suggest segregation but with different goals in mind. One is "we should only have one culture period" and the other is "we have multiple cultures but steps must be taken to restrict intermingling". Think Canada and parents rights in Quebec for instance. In fact, the only nations that are dedicated to multi-culturalism as defined in academia at the moment is Canada and the UK. Almost all other western nations (with some notable exceptions in the US and Scandinavia) are melting pots of varying degrees. Nationalist parties are pretty much exclusively mono-cultural in their proposed policies.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 11, 2016

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Friendly Humour posted:

I don't think that's exactly true nowadays, although historically it used to be. Many nationalistic parties in Europe today, notably Marine le Pen's FN, seem to me to be pursuing a policy 'leading culture' which acknowledges the existence of different cultures inside society, but demands that they adhere to the values and lifestyles of (what they perceive to be) the 'leading' traditional culture. Which I think is actually a rather reasonable policy, although I violently disagree with what the far-right define as constituting the leading culture.

That's what mono-culturalism is when applied lightly.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

A consistent message that brings unity. It is not found anywhere in the west, precisely because of said 'cultural diversity.'

Could we get that argument in English instead of meaningless platitudes?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CrazyLoon posted:

Not really. OhYeah is posting.

:iceburn:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Charlie Mopps posted:

How many Jews lived in the Netherlands 80 years ago?

How many Jews still live there?

Clearly the Dutch are a horrible people who are incapable of getting along with anyone and should be eradicated of the face of the earth, just like the people in North Africa. And lets not even get started about the Germans.

Hey now, if this thread had to adhere to causality we wouldn't have nearly as much shitposting.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't see why Greece isn't utilizing the migrant crisis as a strategy for economic growth paired with appropriate structural reform.

Having something to invest into doesn't really matter when you have nothing to invest.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Camps require infrastructure to administer. Barbed wire, chemical components, rations, all of which could be produced in Greece and itemized to Germany whilst still utilizing slavic wage-slaves.

Isn't all that fun spending under the purview of Frontex through operation Poseidon?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think this is quite what cold war strategists envisioned when they coined Mutually Assured Destruction but I feel it applies.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You know I like the idea of human rights, but I don't like paying to uphold human rights, let the poor nations do it. :smug:

Like seriously, feel however you want about economic migration but complaining about asylum seekers moving too far when re-shuffling their entire existence is kinda morally bankrupt.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

A lot of Green Parties seem to be that way - and frequently have a large collection of moonbats spouting anti-science nonsense.

GMO and nuclear power come to mind.

Might have something to do with many of them being in formed in the literal wake of Chernobyl, just perhaps. Also, the founders were largely what I can only describe as anti-globalisation hippies.

Well ours did at least. :sweden:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

doverhog posted:

Why not fusion instead?

That's like asking why more money isn't spent on mars colonization.

Cat Mattress posted:

Renewables is good, when it's not a disguise for coal. Germany is really bad at this. They figure that since trees can grow, then turning wood into charcoal and then burning it is the same as using renewable energy, right? Between that and mined coal (which is mined with gigantic bucket-wheel excavators that destroy old forests, arable lands, and entire villages as they roam around devouring the entire country like the Nothing from the Neverending Story), Germany is objectively much worse off environmentally than if they had went for full-on nuclear power.

Not to mention the political implications it has already had for the EU in international politics. loving natural gas and Ukraine.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's the age-old debate of whether politicians should shape opinions or follow them. Structuralists say shape and rational choicists say follow.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

When is Europe going to eliminate all these small trash 1 and 2 cent coins? I forgot how annoying and utterly useless they are when Canada got rid of its 1-cent coin. It must be a pure waste of money to mint them at this point, right? The cost of manufacturing must exceed the actual value by now.

Yeah I swear, literally the worst thing I remember about living in Germany. I mean when both storefronts and beggars will take offense when offered a denomination then that denomination is officially redudant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

How the gently caress is online polling a thing?

It's so cheap and easy compared to methods of old that people overlook the validity issues.