Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Against my better judgment I decided to dip my toe into /r/unpolitical to see how the wider world was handling the run up to the referendum. To say it was an unpleasant experience filled with overwhelming Leave circle jerking would probably be a bit of an understatement, although it might have just been a bad time I caught them at, seeing as they were all luxuriating in an apparent 13 point swing to Leave that was reported in a poll on Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'm trying to make a link between modern Leave voters unwillingness to take part in Europe and general fear of Johnny Belgian telling them what to do and Our Brave Tommies going to war to save Poland from Old Hitler but nothing's coming to me.

There's something there though I'm telling you. Maybe toss in something about Brexit voters preferring to murder defenceless politicians to boot.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Deltasquid posted:

The EU itself doesn't have any formalities for leaving except "country decides to leave, start the procedure." It's the UK that decided on the 50%+1 vote referendum.

I don't even think it's binding? (I'm not British)

It's not binding in the least, but it wouldn't look good for the sitting government to completely ignore it.

Of course then you have pro-Leave pundits thumping their chests and saying it would be political suicide for the Conservative party if they don't immediately initiate the Leave process and that the Conservative party would literally not survive the scandal.

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 21, 2016

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

LochNessMonster posted:

It's a really big blow to the prestige of everyone involved in the EU bureaucracy and thus they are pretending it's all doom and gloom if the UK leaves.

Typical fear mongering of elitist bureaucrats. They are so out of touch with reality they people actually believe what they say, no matter what they say.

In reality nothing will happen except that the UK will not have to bail out corrupt/bankrupt southern European countries and thus be laughing when the EU creates the next big financial crisis.

Tell me more about corrupt Johnny Greek and his lazy, ignorant ways.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

So are the good guys winning?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Private Speech posted:

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children.

Are we allowed to talk about large scale unskilled immigration without it devolving into exactly this sentence or has the Left just ceded this ground entirely to the political Right?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Private Speech posted:

I don't know, I mean I'm not trying to steer it that way. It's the similarity that struck me

The truth is, what else is there to do, from a left wing perspective? How is limiting immigration improving the world, unless you accept the premise that your own people come first?

Your own citizens by default come first. Nobody's debating this to my knowledge. That's an issue of citizenship, not race.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

Are you allowed to talk about the stock market crash of 1929 without it devolving into the rise of the Nazi party?

Is that a yes or a no?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Here's a link to the reddit live-thread on the truck plowing into people at the Berlin Christmas market.

Currently 9 killed, 50 injured.

https://www.reddit.com/live/y4kse2ib8b37

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Sums it all up quite well

What's that first word?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Harry Potter is English, which as everyone will quickly tell you means he cannot be a fascist or Nazi no matter the policies he supports or enables. So please, stop slandering this fictitious cultural icon.

quote:

DER SPIEGEL: Mr. Prime Minister, since your party, Law and Justice (PiS), has been in power in Warsaw, Poland has suffered from a bad image. It used to be the model pupil among the new European Union member states, but now it is considered un-democratic, nationalistic and quick-tempered. What happened?

quote:

Morawiecki: Those are opinions and not facts. Poland is a democratic nation-state like all the other countries of Europe. And we are pragmatic. We have a problem with a part of the European political elite and with journalists, but not with the normal people. For example, 97 percent of all foreign investors would come to us again. You are right, though, that we need to make a greater effort to explain our policies. We are facing major changes in Poland. Now, we would like to see the majority of our population benefit from our economic growth. Just because foreign observers used to praise Poland does not mean that the policies of the time were also good for the majority of the population.

Allow me to respond to your accusations of ill-temepered goonery by ranting vaguely about a nebulous hostile entity while also acknowledging the same decline in my country's prestige that I initially sought to refute.

Edit: I'm not actually a normal reader of Der Spiegel but if their journalists deal so handily with bullshit political dodges as this one does then I might be looking for them again.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Inescapable Duck posted:

It seems to me like the problem is no one sees the EU as a remotely democratic institution. And they're probably entirely accurate.

What's the litmus test for a body being democratic here? Because I don't see it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like this thread has an overly high ratio of tinfoil hat wearers who use the word "democratic" as a knife to slice at things they don't like, but then again I'm working on a Saturday so what the gently caress do I know.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

There's this show I'd like you to watch, it's called The Wild Ones. It addresses everything you're concerned about.

Here's the gist though; your complaint is stupidly broad and your solution is absurdly narrow. "I'm unhappy with how I'm being represented therefore the EU has to come a-tumbling down" is half-assed emotional polemics.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

So I guess Buttery Pastry and MiddleOne just had a bunch of "gently caress the anti-reform guy!" posts in their back pocket they wanted to get out there regardless of whether the guy they were responding to was talking about that or not.

But I mean gently caress it it's a Saturday, let's all indulge in strawmen! And while we're at it let's hypercharge the hyperbole!!

Nobody would have a different opinion than mine if they knew what was really going on! Criticism of any variety is an attempt to shut down discussion! Wait, why are all these crows gathering around me?

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 3, 2018

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Dude. These are not the posts of someone who thinks the EU needs reform:

At least not in the context of lollontee's posts.

Perhaps next time ask me about my opinion on EU reform in the EU thread, rather than for some reason trying to sieve it from my responses to an emotional lunatic who's complaining about the broadest poo poo in the universe framing it in the context of the oncoming collapse of Western governance.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

quote:

All the elections I can vote in, none of it makes a lick of difference to how the EU is run. So no, the EU doesn’t have a ’democracy deficiency’, it was never intended or built to be a democratic project at all. All the organs of building democratic consensus in the EU, namely the EU parliament, were from the very beginning carefully not granted any kind of executive or legistative power beyond a measly veto right.

The EU is a project to limit democratic involvement of the uneducated masses, so the educated liberal technocrats can make all the actual decisions. Which is why we’re seeing all these reactionary protest parties. Turns out you can’t really decide to give up national sovereignty on the sly to the ECB without the electorate going ’hold on you captive loving banker pet’ at some point of the process.

quote:

Parties like M5S Podemos and Syriza do not arise in societies where the electorate is satisfied in the way they are being represented. And with every single party of significance a seeming captive servant of finance capital, no matter how you express your dissatisfaction with the state of things, with every party telling us ’there is no alternative’, I do not consider myself or my interests represented.

How the gently caress can you look at the state of politics in western countries today and claim that we’re being democratically represented by our lovely austerity governments? Who the gently caress in europe is currently satisfied with the way their government acts? If demanding actual visible change from the political system I have to live under makes me makes me a child, then holy gently caress i do not want to grow up into a miserable piece of poo poo adult like you

Someone who'd read this.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Dawncloack posted:

No strawman, you are the strawman!! lol You seem to have become quite the little whiner, the moment you found pushback to your slogans.

Those are popular and often used images in many debates.

One comment to Cat Matress' post

Yeah, well, kinda, but the parliament can't introduce legislation (good or bad? I've heard both arguments in this thread).

More important, articles 207(3) and 218 of the Lisbon treaty essentially mean that, when it comes to trade agreements, the Council and the Commission decide on their own, without even asking Parliament.

So it's sorta, kinda democratic, until the executive wants to do something, then it's a simple matter of adding it to an international trade agreement. This is why all the poo poo like ISDS from TTIP and CETA was in the form of an international agreement.

What in the name of gently caress is this nonsense?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

How about you just state your opinion about the EU when you post in the EU thread rather than doing this cutesy poo poo and posting vague crap about what "the thread" has too much of.

I responded to a post you absolute numpty, and you want people to post their entire set of political beliefs every time they post now? What are you barking on about?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I think it's broadly fine but am open to the idea of reform.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Dawncloack posted:

"Reform". Ok. What reform. Let's hear it.

Didn't post in the thread to advocate reform mate, so no. If you like you can ask the guy I was responding to.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Well you've convinced me. Looks like lollontee was saying dumb poo poo all along.

Follow up question though, are you a literal child?

You asked me what my opinion was on reform of the most complex macro-political international body in human history in one line.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Orange Devil posted:

Really, you're going to complain about a one line post? You?

Next time ask the question you want the answer to, how about that?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Bedshaped posted:

It's pretty surprising. Canada needs to harden TF up.

I moved to Canada (from Northern Ireland, no less) and holy gently caress it's cold.

It's dry and cold and pulls the loving soul from your bones. I hide away in my soon-to-be-legal pot-den in Southern Ontario on the very southern tip of the country, next to some nice, big, heat-regulating lakes and the winter still drags the temperature down to -20 or -30 on the regular, and that's before windchill.

I can't stress this enough though: the pot is loving stellar.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

That whole "extra money and drivers for commissioners" thing has already been confirmed as not happening.

The whole Selmayr thing is pretty sketchy, but not quite in a pay-for-promotion way.

Excuse me please don't try and temper my ragewank midstroke, thanks.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Fabulous Knight posted:

From the Wikipedia article about that double agent the Russians had poisoned in the UK just recently:

Like I just don't know. Somehow every so often I just continue to be kind of surprised at how blatant they can be. "Lol oops looks like we poisoned a guy and 20 other people due to that poisoning, welp what can you do".

I'm not at all surprised by this, I'm just rolling my eyes at Britain's pathetic roll downhill into shameful impotency since the Litvinenko poo poo went down.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I enjoyed the part where he quoted Faust to illustrate his economic philosophy.

Yes, that’s a thing that happened.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

Maybe EU sanctions should hit the Moscow proxy in the EU...

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/976844865458835456?s=21

Kinda lovely for a country that depends on EU money to align with Putin...

I'm not sure this counts as Greece aligning with Putin.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Is somebody seriously arguing for placating Putin after 2 blatant assassination attempts on British soil and 2 invasions of friendly allies within the past decade?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

That's up to the Ukrainians as opposed to the Russians. Neither Europe nor Russia gets to dictate to Ukraine what to do with itself.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Also, as it has been mentioned, the entire issue of NATO and EU membership which will permanently "declare" a winner.

You're going to have to explain what you understand this sentence to mean to me.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Once a country in the former Soviet Union enters NATO/EU they are almost certainly not going to leave it, it is a one-way trip.

The simple reason for that is being in the EU and NATO is better than being in the remnants of the Soviet sphere. I'm not sure what you were trying to say with this, it's literally beneficial for every nation to join the EU (including us in the UK) and it's beneficial for every state worried about Russian encroachment to be in NATO.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Ardennes posted:

Well you explained it yourself, that is what is motivating the Russians in the first place especially since they can't compete with the economic advantages of the EU.

So the fact that their country is a shithole is motivating Russians to invade neighbouring allies and threaten non-aligned states?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

The Russian oligarchs who bled the country dry were fully backed and advised by The West?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'm kind of wondering that myself, because every Russian's response to this question seems to flip from "The West is our enemy!" to "The West didn't save us!" overnight with zero self-awareness.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

lollontee posted:

yeah but that's harder to indignantly make fun of, in a desperate effort to delegitimise any enmity that russians might harbor, with regards to their fair and honest treatment in the magnanimous care of the western powers.

That’s super easy to make fun of because it makes Russia into a little kitten helplessly ravaged by The Nefarious West exactly long enough for Russian posters to validate their vague and nebulous anger towards anyone but themselves.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

lollontee posted:

Oh good, so you agree then that Russia has plenty of reasons to be angry at the West?

No, I’m actually blatantly mocking that tendency? I thought I was pretty obvious about that.

Do you want me to break it down a bit more? “Russian posters have a tendency to blame everyone but themselves to avoid personal responsibility.”

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

lollontee posted:

Now the thing I wonder is, how many of the people you consider respectable have used the argument "tendency to blame anyone but themsekves" with you. And how is it that you don't consider admitting this embarrassing?

Oh you're just repeating what I say back to me now? Gosh, if only there was a word for that tactic.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

lollontee posted:

Well, you keep saying funny things! If you don't actually believe these things, why is it that you keep telling us you do?

What the actual gently caress are you talking about?

At what point did any doubt enter your mind regarding me mocking you? Allow me to assure you there’s none there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

God I'd love for Merkel just to pick him up and throw him out the 4th story window.

Just like ... who was that baddie from the Matilda movie?