Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I need to make some proprietary software and I have a deadline but the underlying lib that does most of what I need to do uses the AIDS GPL and now I need to either make a potentially compromising business decision or rewrite everything from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
the aids gnu public licence licence

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

AGPL is great. what library?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

my stepdads beer posted:

AGPL is great. what library?

An `enterprise asset management' software with years of development behind it that, given my constraints and the insane value it adds, leaves me no choice but to offer the source of my derivative SaaS.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
just license an equivalent proprietary library op, problem solved

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

just use the gpl code, its not like anyone is going to do anything about it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

rewrite it. if it's gpl code it's garbage and you'll easily do better on your first try.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

can't you just dynamically link it or some poo poo.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think you're meant to ring up all the original authors and offer to buy the copyright, there's no way GPL could be less free!!

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

jony ive aces posted:

just license an equivalent proprietary library op, problem solved

I could not find an equivalent alternative.

GameCube posted:

can't you just dynamically link it or some poo poo.

Not if you don't want to open yourself up to potential litigation. The GNU AIDS General Public License is specifically designed to infect all works that utilize AGPL code in any way (particularly web services) as it does not contain any linking exceptions. MongoDB core for example is licensed under GNU AIDS GPL, but the drivers are separately licensed under Apache so that people can make `useful' software with it.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i want to make commercial software using something free and im going to complain about it

- an millenial

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

emoji posted:

Not if you don't want to open yourself up to potential litigation. The GNU AIDS General Public License is specifically designed to infect all works that utilize AGPL code in any way (particularly web services) as it does not contain any linking exceptions. MongoDB core for example is licensed under GNU AIDS GPL, but the drivers are separately licensed under Apache so that people can make `useful' software with it.

that freakin sucks!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i want to make commercial software using something free and im going to complain about it

- an millenial

it doesn't sound like he has any objection to paying for it, but gpl AIDS is a nasty disease and makes that really hard!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mit is the best license

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Here's the license for my posts

code:

DO WHAT THE gently caress YOU WANT TO PUBLIC LICENSE 
                    Version 2, December 2004 

Copyright (C) 2004 Sam Hocevar <sam@hocevar.net> 

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified 
 copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long 
 as the name is changed. 

TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR COPYING, DISTRIBUTION AND MODIFICATION 

0. You just DO WHAT THE gently caress YOU WANT TO.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

akadajet posted:

code:
                    Version 2, December 2004 

as the name is changed. 

this license sucks because it is not widely accepted as one of the standard licenses meaning if you use something it covers you have to have your legal department review it specially rather than saying "well its under mit and mit is on the accepted list"

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

akadajet posted:

code:
                    Version 2, December 2004 

as the name is changed. 

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just use it and plead the fizith

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

pointsofdata posted:

I think you're meant to ring up all the original authors and offer to buy the copyright, there's no way GPL could be less free!!

this. the author can legally sell you his software under a different license if you ask for him.

unless he's a freetard in which case lol sucks to be you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

emoji posted:

but who is dumb enough to use mongo?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also whats the library you're using cause theres probably an alternative out there. don't let the aids gpl defeat you

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
i've never seen anything useful licensed under the agpl

fftw is gpl though, which was kind of annoying when i wanted to write a mit licensed thing using it
i ended up just using a slightly slower library with a bsd licence, freedom wins again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Please use MS-PL or Apache or MIT/BSD

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

suffix posted:

fftw is gpl though, which was kind of annoying when i wanted to write a mit licensed thing using it
i ended up just using a slightly slower library with a bsd licence, freedom wins again

:lol: FFTW is a library from MIT that is not released under the MIT license.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Please use MS-PL...

why?

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

im suing u

Wikipedia posted:

Because, in contrast to the MIT and other OSI-approved licenses, WTFPL does not disclaim warranties including warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, nor does it expressly disclaim liability for unintended damage caused by the software, anyone who modifies or redistributes WTFPL software may therefore be subject to a host of legal obligations and duties which run counter to expectations produced by the text of the license. If this is of possible concern to you, because those issues are dependent on the laws of each country, you should get proper legal advise for more pertinent information relevant to the country you live in, or if you are choosing a license for your work, you can chose another license that protects you by disclaiming warranties.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
you should try to justify harassing a mentally ill man until he kills himself, again

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

emoji posted:

yet it's still not as viral as proprietary software which doesn't respect your :rms2:-given freedoms

you can always ask the agpl authors for a proprietary licence if your business model requires it

but then you cannot help their neighbors, and thats not good, hackers, thats not good

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

emoji posted:

An `enterprise asset management' software with years of development behind it that, given my constraints and the insane value it adds, leaves me no choice but to offer the source of my derivative SaaS.

sounds good to me. more saas stuff should be open source.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

the value in saas is the underlying infrastructure and support, not your code gluing htings together

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
sounds like your company's business model sucks op, have you considered working somewhere more free?

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Space-Pope posted:

you should try to justify harassing a mentally ill man until he kills himself, again

You should try to get a grip.

my stepdads beer posted:

the value in saas is the underlying infrastructure and support, not your code gluing htings together

Yea, ultimately it won't matter too much if I am unable to purchase a license from the vendor.

big scary monsters posted:

sounds like your company's business model sucks op, have you considered working somewhere more free?

The business model is up to me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

because its a free license

b h m
Feb 13, 2016

Free as in beer?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
free as in beer and free as in speech. unlike AGPL which is free as in your time

b h m
Feb 13, 2016

its as simple as this op: dont do the assignment, whatever it was

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

unlike AGPL which is free as in your time

lol

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

MrMoo posted:

:lol: FFTW is a library from MIT that is not released under the MIT license.
they only MIT license things they couldn't sell, and fftw has actual paying users

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The YOLO license (You Only License Once)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is the AGPL that retarded one where you're expected to hunt down ever contributor and ask them if you can use it, and also it applies to any derivatives because AIDS.

• Locked thread