Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Quidnose posted:

Hurm. I dunno, why would you call her out for not having content when you haven't even finished reading her. That's weird.

I agree. It feels like he had to check to make sure his fake opinion was valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quidnose posted:

Scum participate in joke phase, and the way they do it is USUALLY scummy. I didn't like the way Lumpen was doing it!

This doesn't make any sense to me. It looks like one of those things people say to look like a fact when it's not actually a fact. Quid, can you give some example ideas of scummy jokephase posting?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I mean, it all depends on individual intent, so no, I can't give you specific examples without interviewing people and asking them their intent?

I BELIEVE that when it comes to joke phase town members go "this will be funny"

Whereas scum go "this will be funny, AND ALSO."

So like people might drop a joke vote keeping in the back of their mind to return to it later, or someone might make a shady "case" that's kinda jokey but, again, come back and be like "These was a serious case now that this has played out."

It just rubs me the wrong way when people are like "CLEARLY this is joke phase why are you even taking this seriously." Scum know what they're doing during joke phase, come on now. Everything scum do is calculated, why would joke phase be any different.

This isn't really a line of discussion worth having, I don't think, because I can't prove it beyond ~My philosophy~ and we've had this discussion to death, but whatever, talk about it if you want.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quidnose posted:

My first post was THANK GOD VANILLA TOWN and I don't see you calling it out.

Podima your casework is lazy and seems kinda pick and choosy!

There's a distinction between, as you said, blasting out "THANK GOD IM VANILLA TOWN" versus casually sliding "as a town man i" into a post - that's the point I'm trying to make.

Quidnose posted:

Hurm. I dunno, why would you call her out for not having content when you haven't even finished reading her. That's weird.

Also I was commenting as I was reading, at that point ANarc had said very little other than complaining about jokephase!

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

I guess you didn't make as hard a call of "Rarity looking terrible for not providing content" as I thought you did. I buy it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

How dare you mix up me up with something MT said. Jk she's awesome I don't mind

:j::respek::j:

TMM has forever tarnished my ability to be trustworthy of people complimenting me in Mafia, but I hope you're town!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

TMM why are you barely posting? normally I'd expect you to have 30 more posts than you currently have at this point.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I see we moved out of jokephase.

Alas~

I guess I'll actually read then, but goddamn I'm tired.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BottleKnight posted:

This is really stupid. Why would I post a case if I were insecure and unconfident in it?

It's day one, how can you possibly be confident on a scum read of someone based on literally a one-sentence post?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Murmur Twin posted:

It's day one, how can you possibly be confident on a scum read of someone based on literally a one-sentence post?

I've said this before, but it sounds like you're just calling my case bad, not me scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BottleKnight posted:

I've said this before, but it sounds like you're just calling my case bad, not me scum.

Fair enough. It's the first case on D1 so it's not like I'm 100% confident you're scum, it's more that I found that case to be the most suspicious one in these extremely early stages of this game. Which, humorously enough, is the reason I'm not saying "BK is definitely scum and I implore everyone to read him over and tell me otherwise".

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidnose posted:

It just rubs me the wrong way when people are like "CLEARLY this is joke phase why are you even taking this seriously." Scum know what they're doing during joke phase, come on now. Everything scum do is calculated, why would joke phase be any different.

This isn't really a line of discussion worth having, I don't think, because I can't prove it beyond ~My philosophy~ and we've had this discussion to death, but whatever, talk about it if you want.

I dunno, I feel like if someone who was more wiling to put effort into it than me ran the numbers they'd find that most cases based on jokephase / D1 usually end up with dead town.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BottleKnight posted:

TMM why are you barely posting? normally I'd expect you to have 30 more posts than you currently have at this point.

Because I'm trying to break the meta that I have to post post post all the time. It gets tiring. I generally like posting, but sometimes I just want to read along and make some comments and reads without getting called scum because I'm not at the top of the post count.

And frankly, I didn't feel like engaging the heavy posters during the early jokephase because I didn't find it particularly funny.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

:j::respek::j:

TMM has forever tarnished my ability to be trustworthy of people complimenting me in Mafia, but I hope you're town!

However, this did make me laugh. Hi MMT! :)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TMMadman posted:

Because I'm trying to break the meta that I have to post post post all the time. It gets tiring. I generally like posting, but sometimes I just want to read along and make some comments and reads without getting called scum because I'm not at the top of the post count.

And frankly, I didn't feel like engaging the heavy posters during the early jokephase because I didn't find it particularly funny.

Out of curiosity, how DO/did you post that much with a delivery job anyways? Were you being a bad person and posting while driving?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

I dunno, I feel like if someone who was more wiling to put effort into it than me ran the numbers they'd find that most cases based on jokephase / D1 usually end up with dead town.

Dead town on D1 isn't a bad thing at all, dead town in GENERAL isn't a bad thing at all. In fact someone had a mafia theory a while ago that said it was actually WORSE for town to nail scum on D1 than it was to get a miscuddle to get info from.

But again, mafia theory, been discussed to death, let's hunt scum. We are all ~different~

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TMMadman posted:

You said this last game when we were scum together and you were lurking because of being scum. CAN I TRUST YOU TMM

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

TMMadman posted:

However, this did make me laugh. Hi MMT! :)

Doesn't answer the question of whether or not he is town :tinfoil:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Quidnose posted:

Doesn't answer the question of whether or not he is town :tinfoil:

If anything, the fact that Kash is modding inherently makes me think TMM is scum :tinfoil:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Podima posted:

Out of curiosity, how DO/did you post that much with a delivery job anyways? Were you being a bad person and posting while driving?

There's a lot of times when I am just sitting at the curb waiting for dispatch to give me a job. Plus, a lot of it is posting while waiting in lobbies, elevators, loading docks and messenger centers.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And for me, driving at speeds less than 25 mph, I might as well be in one of those amusement park car rides that have the little rail in the middle so they can't go off track.

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuYRNSfN30k

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
Quidnose may be onto something. My posts were not very subtle about how decisive the articulation concerned. Maybe Quidnose inherently questions whether incisive queries can really anchor Scumhunting when sincerity is called into question. We can all understand that, I know I've been there. On the other hand, Asiina does look more intensly unseemly when you take into account what Ninth said about that.

Khris Kruel tends to have all the answers and the best breadcrumbs, while also answering Rarity soundly in the way nobody expected.

Podima, can you look into all this and share your analysis? The tendency to cut through jokephase when cuts both ways.

Let's not overlook who's really posting Scummy here, and that's Murmurtwin. Especially the last several posts as well as earlier ones. BottleKnight, do you see what I'm seeing there and what post especially sums it up when you really think about it?

##Vote Murmurtwin

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

TMMadman posted:

That's fair, and I totally get it.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Lumpen doing EXACTLY the same thing I called him out for earlier, acknowledging I may have a point. What is this.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Lumpen posted:

Quidnose may be onto something. My posts were not very subtle about how decisive the articulation concerned. Maybe Quidnose inherently questions whether incisive queries can really anchor Scumhunting when sincerity is called into question. We can all understand that, I know I've been there. On the other hand, Asiina does look more intensly unseemly when you take into account what Ninth said about that.

Khris Kruel tends to have all the answers and the best breadcrumbs, while also answering Rarity soundly in the way nobody expected.

Podima, can you look into all this and share your analysis? The tendency to cut through jokephase when cuts both ways.

Let's not overlook who's really posting Scummy here, and that's Murmurtwin. Especially the last several posts as well as earlier ones. BottleKnight, do you see what I'm seeing there and what post especially sums it up when you really think about it?

##Vote Murmurtwin

I can't say I do, but if you post a case I will definitely look at it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Lumpen posted:

##Vote Murmurtwin

I feel like this has to be some clever breadcrumb (while also implying that KK is doing the same) but I can't figure it out.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I propose an all girls alliance

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I propose an all porpoises alliance

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

Quidnose posted:

Lumpen doing EXACTLY the same thing I called him out for earlier, acknowledging I may have a point. What is this.

I don't know if you have considered the likelihood that gaining votes with suspicions adverse relates to between the other thing you're doing. What I'm noticing when you post is that making sense also connotes being onto something. But who knows if that being the case would flip just what is expected. AnonNarc has experienced this many times from a meta perspective.

Calling me out earlier for exaclty the same thing is bound to come back and remind me again later. But at the same time, not voting on it noticed an awkward vibe from you, going back to hedge on that tunnelvision.

My case on Murmurtwin works the same way, as BottleKnight pointed out.

TMM's posting is not intended to constitute an appearance of Scumhunting, but something deeper going on. Khris Kruel knows it, even Asiina obviously suspects it. So why no votes yet? There's a feeling like awkward posting when overemotional but not contributing that still drives content, but that's more than I can decide at this point. TNL said as much when he posted on the other page.

##vote Quidnose Thunderdome, bitch.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Can you dumb it down a bit for me Lumpen? I find that post impossible to parse.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Lumpen posted:

I don't know if you have considered the likelihood that gaining votes with suspicions adverse relates to between the other thing you're doing. What I'm noticing when you post is that making sense also connotes being onto something. But who knows if that being the case would flip just what is expected. AnonNarc has experienced this many times from a meta perspective.

Calling me out earlier for exaclty the same thing is bound to come back and remind me again later. But at the same time, not voting on it noticed an awkward vibe from you, going back to hedge on that tunnelvision.

TMM's posting is not intended to constitute an appearance of Scumhunting, but something deeper going on. Khris Kruel knows it, even Asiina obviously suspects it. So why no votes yet? There's a feeling like awkward posting when overemotional but not contributing that still drives content, but that's more than I can decide at this point. TNL said as much when he posted on the other page.

This is the fakest of the fake. There is NO WAY you think I am scum, your posting doesn't even include a case on me. The only thing I can see is that you're saying I'm tunnelvisioned whilst not voting for you, which makes no sense; I am voting for you. You reading the thread, Lumpen?

Your thunderdomes have been great in the past, used when you are CERTAIN you have caught scum to the point that you are willing to demand the game vote along your self-created schism. This is too early. There is no case to back it up. This is you playing that YOU ARE LUMPEN with no substance and no reason to do so.

And it's fake! My vote stands!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Is this a Survivor claim? :j:

Lumpen posted:

I don't know if you have considered the likelihood that gaining votes with suspicions adverse relates to between the other thing you're doing.

---

---

My posts were not very subtle about how decisive the articulation concerned. Maybe Quidnose inherently questions whether incisive queries can really anchor Scumhunting when sincerity is called into question.

---

The tendency to cut through jokephase when cuts both ways.

I, uh...

...wait, what?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lumpen posted:

Uhhh, are you talking about me or someone else in this post?

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I suggest an all man alliance, no boys allowed

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to join your cause imgay

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Kashuno can we somehow work me and imgays alliance into the general storyline of this game

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
INTRODUCING CLUB MEN!

Current Roster:

imgay
jakep

We are an organization of men seeking men to share our manly endeavors. This is a safe place for men, thus we do not allow women and meek boys who would mock our brotherhood.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

BottleKnight posted:

Can you dumb it down a bit for me Lumpen? I find that post impossible to parse.

All I'm saying is don't you find it all a little strange when Scumhunting and suddenly people just say they don't even look back and read all the posts before just disappearing for hours, only to then say the opposite? That's far from what I or anyone would consider to be just what you would expect when Scumhunting. Right?

Quidnose isn't even trying to hide it when in fact there is no doubt that on the last page they all were saying the same thing. I believed it at first but then more people chimed in, even Rarity. What I was initially claiming about Asiina's posts, Quidnose jumped right in and started flipping out, but not in the least bit like defending a Scumbuddy but instead as to the effect of knowing what effect posting just like that would have, even right after Khris Kruel said that.

All the while Jimson is lurking but nobody said a word about a newbie shield but then coming in here and spouting off about TMM. Look at the softclaims we have so far. If Murmurtwin is pretending not to be seeing it, who else isn't reacting? Just look who gets nightkilled and then look back at the posting. In light of the flip.

TMMadman posted:

Uhhh, are you talking about me or someone else in this post?
Clearly. You were the one who, in previous posts, just came right out of the gate with what you said and that should be noted. It isn't an alignment call but everyone can understand just what I mean when just a few posts ago you were saying something completely different.

I want Asiina and Podima to weigh in here because the two of them have really got me thinking. I will come back to that in my next post, but for now I want them to report back with what they learned since then.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I am super confused and really don't understand what you're getting at Lumpen. I'm trying my hardest to read what you're posting but it just makes no goddamn sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

BottleKnight posted:

I am super confused and really don't understand what you're getting at Lumpen. I'm trying my hardest to read what you're posting but it just makes no goddamn sense.

Happy St Patricks day!!!!

• Locked thread