Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
I got a factory job that I've been doing fairly well at the last year and a half but that involves 60-70hr work weeks and so I've been absent from the forums a lot for a good while. This is my current stable:

Explorer is my nephew's, Subaru is my daughter's.

This was my DD for a long time, but I yanked the 305 and transmission

And dropped them into this so I could rebuild the 350 and transmission from it to put in the Nova

A long time ago I swapped the rims on the Nova and Camaro because the Centerlineish ones looked a lot better on the Camaro. As of now though, the rims that used to be on the Camaro and were on the Nova are now sitting on this:

I am fairly certain I've sourced a solid set of rims to dedicate to the Cutlass, as the 14 inch steelies are just not going to cut it I don't think. Not set in stone, but I'll be pretty sad if they fall through. They are quite literally perfect.

Background
This car has passed from friend to friend over the last couple years with each person taking on a little of the work, then giving up and getting rid of it at a loss. I am the sixth person at my job to own this car. It came to me as needing only brakes, a water pump and a battery to be on the road. As we all know that can not possibly be the case. So I am entering into this knowing that there will definitely be other things that will need to be addressed.

Current State of the Car

The car is non-running, I have not even tried to crank it. When I was told it needed brakes, I expected shoes and pads whatever. What I found however was driver front tire has no drum (oh yeah, drums on the front :rolleyes: ) Or hardware. Of any kind. Just a hose a with a wheel cylinder flapping in the wind. Rather than try and fix whatever remaining hardware issues there may be, I bought new wheel cylinders, all new hardware and shoes for all 4 tires including drums. Those will be installed by the end of the week. Next step will be removing the water pump and bringing it to the parts store so I can match it to the replacement as there is apparently a short nose and long nose version. Lastly, I'll be taking the battery out of the Nova for now to get it started and see if the carb is really as hosed as the last person said it was.

Why We Are Here

I traded for this car because I really wanted something similar to the Nova that I could take my wife and daughters out in. The Nova is pretty much dedicated to being just for me, as it's been cobbled together by rednecks from mostly worn/rusted/improvised bullshit. As it sits after around 10 years of driving it, I finally yanked the Toyota seats that were bolted only on the outer edge out and replaced it with a bench from a 4 door Omega. This makes installing a car seat very complicated, but at least I'm not digging the scene with a gangsta lean anymore.

The car was touted to me as "A numbers matching 71 Olds with a 350 Rocket" and while I had no idea what a Rocket was, I knew what a 350 was so it had to be even better than that, right?

quote:

Produced from 1968–1980, the Rocket 350 was entirely different from the other GM divisions' 350's. It used a 4.057 in (103.0 mm) bore and Oldsmobile small-block standard 3.385 in (86.0 mm) stroke for 350 cu in (5.7 L). Output ranged from 160-325 hp (119-242 kW). 1968-1974 350s were painted gold; 1975-1976 350s were metallic blue like the 455; 1977-1980 models were painted GM Corporate Blue. The "Rocket" name disappeared from the air cleaner decal in 1975, the same year that the catalytic converter was added to the emission control systems. The early Oldsmobile 350s made from 1968-1976 are more desirable engines with heavy castings, beefier crankshafts, and better flowing heads. The later 1977-1980 350 had the "lightweight" castings, including a thinner block with large "windows" in the main bearing bulkheads, crack-prone head castings which were actually manufactured by Pontiac Motor Division (castings are marked "PMD"; these heads were also used on the 260), and a lightened crankshaft.

That sure SOUNDS better. But because I'm pretty much someone that really LIKES cars, not someone that really KNOWS cars - I'm very skeptical about it actually being a 350. I got burned once buying a 350 from a '79 Caprice only to find out after that the 2bbl carb meant it was a 305. And so we come to the reason I post this thread:

Questions

How do I go about confirming this is "numbers matching"?
Does the absolutely not a 4bbl carb on this thing mean it too is a smaller engine?
Is it better to just leave this as stock as possible under the hood, or should I embrace technological advancements and continue with the evolution to electric fuel, and a bigger intake/carb?

The Meat

This is pretty much "the plan":

Pretty this up once all the mechanicals have been sorted. An actual paint job complete with whatever minor body repairs are needed to make it look good.

And there will be some minor body repairs needed

Find where the leaks are happening and resolve them.

Drivers floorboard has been pooling water, as was pointed out to me that may in fact be mold forming on the newish carpet/seats

This is what we are working with under the hood.

The things that sold me on this car

All the chrome you see missing from the outside is in the trunk

See that dealer decal on the bumper? This car hasn't left the town I live next to since it was born

Interior is 90% redone, all it really needs in here is a new dome light, new headliner and something to fix that retarded radio hole.

I gave basically $800 in trade for it, only half of which was cash. Can you blame me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
You cannot be blamed, and only good can come of this thread. :getin:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

ssjonizuka posted:

You cannot be blamed, and only good can come of this thread. :getin:

SET SAIL SKIPPER :911:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I was hoping it'd be a thread about the Camaro, but it's already perfect in every way.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

meatpimp posted:

I was hoping it'd be a thread about the Camaro, but it's already perfect in every way.

One day, there will come a time when I have stupid money to throw at it to make it more obnoxious. When that time comes a new thread shall rise. Until then, I am not at all opposed to derailing into Camarotalk here.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
(Originally) Lime Green sedan? :):hf::)

I don't really know poo poo about the BOP stuff, but there should be a casting number on the front driver side of the engine under the cylinder head. Last six numbers of that should match the last 6 of the car's VIN if it's the original engine.

Good luck!

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
More like pea soup, but since it's all there on the inside, I'm going to run with it. Eventual paint will be gloss/metal flake black with green pin stripes. If the rims happen, those will be painted to match the interior/stripes as well.

Edit Just ran into this which has additional info on where numbers might be. I'm off to see if I can get it nailed down.

Micromancer fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 7, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Micromancer posted:

I am fairly certain I've sourced a solid set of rims to dedicate to the Cutlass, as the 14 inch steelies are just not going to cut it I don't think. Not set in stone, but I'll be pretty sad if they fall through. They are quite literally perfect.

He's referring to a set of 15" Olds Rallyes that I've been sitting on.

Unfortunately, the last time I ran them (20+ years ago) they required copious amounts of sealer, due to heavy corrosion and pitting on the bead mounting surfaces.

Let's do something about that, shall we?

Don't try this at home. I'm an imbecileexpert.

Still some pitting, but much, much better.

I'll give the bare steel a spritz from the Mystery Can:

RIDE ETERNAL, etc.

Center caps and 3" beauty rings, and they're ready to roll. The dead ladybugs and mud dauber larvae come free of charge.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Holy god drat they look even better than my phone had implied - in other news I think I will have a day off in a week or two and can totally hop over to grab them in person to save the shipping hassle. Those will look amazing in Pea Soup.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Yeah, "Lime Green" in '71 wasn't that Limey, but if your body tag says 43 for the color code, it's Lime. Weird.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You're not serious, are you?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bucephalus posted:

Sweet Jesus, I didn't know you were that close to me. :ohdear:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
45min, give or take.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Yeah, "Lime Green" in '71 wasn't that Limey, but if your body tag says 43 for the color code, it's Lime. Weird.

Color code appears to be 42 on the Body by Fisher plate in the engine bay

Long URL to example

So yay for even dumber Palm green I guess!

Bucephalus posted:

I just drove 1300 miles round trip in the Ranger with no fuel gauge. Cost me under/around $80 in gas, spent $40 on a hotel room. I'm 100% serious I will happily come pick them up it will cost less than shipping more than likely. Google had that planned at 9.5 hours actual time was closer to 12 hours so even with trip bloat for frequent stops I could pretty much sleep after work, wake up at like 7pm drive over night get to you during the day do some kind of sick breakfast/lunch thing and make it however far back and hotel if I have to. Wake up finish the drive and head to work. That's if I only get one day off. I've worked the last 2? 3? weeks straight and if I do the next two weeks I'm pretty sure I could convince my boss to let me take Sat and Sunday ensuring the trip was relaxed and casual.

Edit: gently caress the dumb poo poo, I'll put in for a half day vacation on a Friday which ensures Sat and Sunday off. Weekend of the 25th good for you if the day is approved?

Micromancer fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 7, 2016

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Should be OK. The least I can do is meet you somewhere in Columbus.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 7, 2016

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Bucephalus posted:

Least you can do? I'm pretty sure dusting off those rims, cleaning them up with tools I don't own and donating them (still think you should figure out something I can trade for em!) is way WAY beyond least you can do. Unless you are afraid I may be dangerous or something. I should like to point out that nearly everyone that came here for the Goon Shoots from TFR and the after parties for Rock Band and such survived.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Ok, make me an offer.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
I'd put value at $200 +/- $50 on the low side eBay has complete sets of 14s at around $400. If you'd happily list em on Clist for $125ish I'd gladly do that and food for you (and Meatpimp if he wants to photobomb the day :v: ) If you have something more car related in mind I might be able to scrounge up something if I knew what to look for and if you play M:TG I definitely have some poo poo I could throw your way that would cover them.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I've always had a soft spot for Olds of that generation, when I was just old enough to memorize the model and brand of a car, my dad had a '69 cutlass convertible, and I think a '71 Vista Cruiser, I remember loving both of them for some weird reason. I probably won't comment much but you can be sure I'll be watching!

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I'm agreeable to $125, cash is my greatest ally right now..

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Definitely done, a crazy bargain and one I really appreciate.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
5'd this thread fuckin rules.

also 6.2 that fuckin' camaro :kimchi:

actually 6.2 all of them.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bucephalus posted:

I think I'm clear on Mar. 26th. I suggest Steak and Shake right off of I71 at Polaris. My treat for both of you nuts.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
My, how nice :)

Dammit_Carl!
Mar 5, 2013
Sweet. Never let the old steel die if it can be helped.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Dammit_Carl! posted:

Sweet. Never let the old steel die if it can be helped.

Never let anything die, man. All cars are important, even lovely-rear end ones.

But this thing is special so deserves a bit more love.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Micromancer posted:

Explorer is my nephew's, Subaru is my daughter's.

Whose is the white Bravada?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Glad to see you're doing well, Micromancer.

Love the Olds, glad to see the Nova is still kicking around, lookin forward to this thread.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That motor sure looks like a rocket 350 besides the carb, but it could have been put on to save gas, lots of people did poo poo like that. As far as matching numbers you'll need to find out where the serial numbers are on the motor and tranny and see if they match numbers with the body. If it truly is a Rocket that thing will loving scoot with a proper four barrel on it.

Also as a requirement the rally wheels will need to have BF Goodrich Radial T/A's with the white letters facing out installed :colbert:

This will be a fun project to follow, godspeed sir.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

meatpimp posted:

I think I'm clear on Mar. 26th. I suggest Steak and Shake right off of I71 at Polaris. My treat for both of you nuts.

Definitely in for this. Put in for the vac day last night I should know in a day or two if its approved.

Bucephalus posted:

Whose is the white Bravada?

That would be BarkingSquirrel's.

Terrible Robot posted:

Glad to see you're doing well, Micromancer.

Love the Olds, glad to see the Nova is still kicking around, lookin forward to this thread.

Likewise, its pretty cool to see what you got going on in that van thread. I can't envision a time where I would be without the Nova, I have an unreasonable love for that thing.

leica posted:

That motor sure looks like a rocket 350 besides the carb, but it could have been put on to save gas, lots of people did poo poo like that. As far as matching numbers you'll need to find out where the serial numbers are on the motor and tranny and see if they match numbers with the body. If it truly is a Rocket that thing will loving scoot with a proper four barrel on it.

Also as a requirement the rally wheels will need to have BF Goodrich Radial T/A's with the white letters facing out installed :colbert:

This will be a fun project to follow, godspeed sir.

White out is a tradition here, I'll definitely price those when it's time for good tires.

In other news:

Reading a bit about the Rocket I saw that the 305 should be painted black and a 350 would be gold. This is definitely a gold block. Is there any chance the Edelbrock intake and 4bbl carb I have for the 350 I am rebuilding for the Nova would fit here? Being a completely different block I can't really see how but :???:

Got the battery and water pump today. Only got as far as getting the old one off but so far - they weren't lying

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
If you have a junkyard nearby full of '80s stuff, a 307Y intake and carb from a G- or B-body shouldn't be hard to find. I don't have one anymore.

E: don't be tempted by any 260s, the ports are smaller.

E2: 403s from late '70s Firebirds are fair game too.

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Mar 8, 2016

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Going from my pontiac experience, which will be similar, your 350 is actually closer to a big block than a small block.
The 400 we got from a firebird was externally the same dimensions as the 350 ponitac.
These are BOP motors (buick, olds, ponitac), not chevys.

So will stuff fit that was from the Nova? Probably not at all.
But a carb is a carb, so doesn't matter as long as it bolts up, and if you have an edlebrock or whatever adapter it will work.
The pontiac 350 was 2 bbl as well, so thats not too surprising.

This also means its way easier to replace the 350 with a 455 if you felt you weren't burning fuel fast enough.
But since it is not a small block 350, buying things will be harder. This was all around 2001 or so, before internet made ordering easy, so maybe its easier now.

blindjoe fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 8, 2016

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
gently caress YEAH- A MICROMANCER AI MEGA THREAD EXTRAVAGANZA.

And I'm here to watch it unfold. :f5:

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
Not sure exactly how much part buying I'll be doing. This one is for the family, I dont think I want to stick a bunch of go fast in this one. The Nova however, part of the reason I was willing to donate the intake is I think I want something that can take a blower, and while I haven't researched exactly how those bolt up I'd imagine it would be radically different.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

https://www.bopengineering.com

A bop parts specialty house in cali. Recommended to me by a fel pro rep while trying to track down parts from a '41 chevy that were possibly shared.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Micromancer posted:

Reading a bit about the Rocket I saw that the 305 should be painted black and a 350 would be gold.

Yeah the gold is what tipped me off, back in high school a buddy of mine had one, and later on my dad did as well.

If the Nova carb doesn't work you should be able to find one relatively easy on ebay, if you're lucky maybe you could find one local on CL.

Or you could splurge and get a new Edelbrock.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I've found garage and estate sales to be great for finding carbs. Also snap on tools as well.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

Or you could splurge and get a new Edelbrock.

Car like that needs a gold Holley.

Edelbrock makes good manifolds, though.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
Front wheel disc brakes were optional on those. I was able to get all the parts to change mine pretty easily. You have to change the spindles to do that conversion though which is a real awful job. The other chassis upgrade I did was to add a rear sway bar. To do this boxed lower rear control arms should be used.

The 15 in Olds wheels should look really good on that. They originally came with 14s. The 15s were only made for a little while in the mid 70s. Other cosmetic upgrades could be made with 442 parts like grills and a steering wheel but a lot of that stuff has gotten pretty expensive.

Micromancer posted:

Find where the leaks are happening and resolve them.

Don't be surprised if you find some ugly poo poo if you remove the glass. The window channels like to rust out on these especially if they have had vinyl tops. The leading edge of my roof panel was mostly gone where it met the windshield frame. Most of the damage was hidden by the glass and sealant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

rocket_350 posted:

Front wheel disc brakes were optional on those. I was able to get all the parts to change mine pretty easily. You have to change the spindles to do that conversion though which is a real awful job. The other chassis upgrade I did was to add a rear sway bar. To do this boxed lower rear control arms should be used.

The 15 in Olds wheels should look really good on that. They originally came with 14s. The 15s were only made for a little while in the mid 70s. Other cosmetic upgrades could be made with 442 parts like grills and a steering wheel but a lot of that stuff has gotten pretty expensive.

Don't be surprised if you find some ugly poo poo if you remove the glass. The window channels like to rust out on these especially if they have had vinyl tops. The leading edge of my roof panel was mostly gone where it met the windshield frame. Most of the damage was hidden by the glass and sealant.

The abundance of some kind of caulk or whatever around the glass kind of leads me to believe you may be right. That and you could pretty much tell me anything and I'd be inclined to believe it (in this thread) because User/Post combo :v:

:alarm: Also I have a small problem - I completely forgot the 26th was the TFR shoot at Terry Waldens, can we make it for Sunday the 27th for me to hit town?

• Locked thread