Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gonna be in the 70's and sunny this upcoming week, might have to break the car out of its winter slumber :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Keeping this alive. It's almost time to get new summer tires, and I might get new wheels. I was going to get RPF1s but I am lazy and don't want to do all the fender work to make them fit. I might get a set of 6UL's but I need to see the new style and see how flat the faces are on them from people who own them. They are wider and have a better offset than RPF1's too, albeit a tad more expensive. Other option is re-do the AP2 V1s a different color and get some spacers

Also thinking about getting an RSX Type S and going full japan

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Dear unofficial S2000 thread,

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/6065637048.html
Thoughts?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

That is a good price if the title is clean like it says it is

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nodoze posted:

That is a good price if the title is clean like it says it is

Seriously. I've seen plenty of salvage title cars for more than that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Just shot him a message. I suppose this would push my house buying thing back about four months. Could be worse.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 4, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So that dude isn't responding to calls.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/cars-sale-109/2000-gpw-red-165k~-tucson-san-diego-1162010/
Too many miles?

Another option is a friend of a friend with a yellow AP1 asking $9k. Needs a repaint because yellow poo poo is impossible to match correctly, along with some clear peel on the trunk. Figure $8k after negotiation on that.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 6, 2017

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

So that dude isn't responding to calls.

http://www.s2ki.com/forums/cars-sale-109/2000-gpw-red-165k~-tucson-san-diego-1162010/
Too many miles?

Another option is a friend of a friend with a yellow AP1 asking $9k. Needs a repaint because yellow poo poo is impossible to match correctly, along with some clear peel on the trunk. Figure $8k after negotiation on that.

Unless the car is in bad shape I would never be afraid of high miles on these cars. The engines don't break unless you run out of oil. That car looks exceptionally clean for how many miles it has, and it was very well cared for. The price is a little high but GPW/Red is a desirable combination and it has a new top so that hassle is taken care of. Getting AP2 wheels with it is a plus too

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
She lives about 100mi from me but is out of town until 4/18. I can be patient, I guess, but it pushes off two trackdays I was planning on doing so I can make time. Ah well.

I do really like the color combo and it nice to hear that about the mileage. My current DD is an E46 with 185k and that doesn't scare me so...

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

She lives about 100mi from me but is out of town until 4/18. I can be patient, I guess, but it pushes off two trackdays I was planning on doing so I can make time. Ah well.

I do really like the color combo and it nice to hear that about the mileage. My current DD is an E46 with 185k and that doesn't scare me so...

If a E46 with almost 200k miles doesn't scare you then you have nothing to worry about

(also need a sanity check :v:)

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The only thing worth noting on the higher mileage cars is it has likely lost some HP. I knew a couple S2k guys here in the valley a while back, one with a 215k mile F20C and one with a 40k mile F22C. Even though the AP1 had a 4.7 final drive the AP2 still walked him in a straight line.

Not a shocking revelation that high mileage engines lose power but the difference surprised me. Personally I'd buy it, track it to death, and swap in a monster KA engine when the original one dies.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Silver isn't my color but I just sent an email on this anyway because of the suspension setup.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/cars-sale-109/fs-az-2002-sebring-silver-%2413-000-a-1168763/

edit: I'm going to look at it tonight

Anyone want to give a thumbs up or thumbs down?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 7, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Looks fairly clean and straight, the aftermarket bits seem to be good ones and not cheap chinese tat. If the price is right and it is fun I don't see an issue.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Nice shocks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm picking it up tomorrow... it rides really well for the spring rates that are on it. All VIN tags are in place and no evidence of paint work that I could find. The owner is a really, really cool older gentleman and I think it breaks his heart to sell it.

I'll be swapping the wheels out and I wanted to raise it but he started talking about toe curves and more or less told me to leave it where it is. The setup sounds a little weird to me on paper in terms of spring rates(I want to say something like 800/500 but I can't remember for sure) / ride height (low.) / etc but he seems to be an ex-national level autocross dude that knows his poo poo and it seemed well set up when we drove it around. He is giving me the high-flow Penske valves/shims, has documentation on which valve/shimstack is in them, etc. He had a cabinet filled with Eibach ERS springs and offered to let me have the rates I needed but I wasn't sure. I'll baseline it.

Disclaimer: I don't know poo poo about S2000 suspension.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 8, 2017

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nice. I was gonna say the suspension seemed pretty hardcore vs. what you usually see folks do so it makes sense that he used to autocross. High spring rates aren't bad if you've got the dampers to control them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nice buy, you're gonna love it.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

BlackMK4, you live in the Phoenix area? I think I remember you talking about motorcycle track days in the valley. I moved back here a year ago so let me know if you end up tracking this, I'm getting the oil line recall done soon on my GT350 and need to get a track day in before it gets too hot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

BlackMK4, you live in the Phoenix area? I think I remember you talking about motorcycle track days in the valley. I moved back here a year ago so let me know if you end up tracking this, I'm getting the oil line recall done soon on my GT350 and need to get a track day in before it gets too hot.

Yeah. I'm in Scottsdale near FLW/Shea.

I sold off my track R6 last month and my Tuono is still for sale -- I turn 30 in a few months so I think I've reached the end of riding for a few reasons. I ran 4 days in my E46 ZHP sedan last month so I think I'll be running a bunch in this. :) Shoot me a PM if you end up booking anything. Chuckwalla is hella my poo poo, AMP is a good car track if you can pass sound, Firebird/WHP is donkeyshit, and Inde is really cool.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

This thread needs to go away. I only just got over my S2000 itch.

I was on the fence between rebuilding the motor in my e30 and just saying gently caress it and buying an S2000 instead, but I couldn't find one I wanted for the price I wanted.

My requirements were, in order:
-clean title
-sub 100k miles
-stock/minimal mods
-white
-$12,000-$14,000

Guess how many cars there are for sale that meet those criteria :smith:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't want to make you itch, but I know of one in Arizona... minus the 100k mile thing. I linked it above, I think.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't want to make you itch, but I know of one in Arizona... minus the 100k mile thing. I linked it above, I think.

No, satan, stay back!

:smith:

The worst bit about this is my gf actually liked riding in the s2000 more than my e30. Minus my driving, that is.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

charliemonster42 posted:

This thread needs to go away. I only just got over my S2000 itch.

I was on the fence between rebuilding the motor in my e30 and just saying gently caress it and buying an S2000 instead, but I couldn't find one I wanted for the price I wanted.

My requirements were, in order:
-clean title
-sub 100k miles
-stock/minimal mods
-white
-$12,000-$14,000

Guess how many cars there are for sale that meet those criteria :smith:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/6070258470.html

Not white, but still :v:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Part of the reason for wanting white is I absolutely am one of the last people to be trusted with a fast red car. My e30 is red, but it's only saving grace is the fact that it's slow as balls.

That said, that car is gorgeous.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

charliemonster42 posted:

-sub 100k miles

This is not a big deal on S2000s, they regularly cross the 200k and 300k mile mark.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

plester1 posted:

This is not a big deal on S2000s, they regularly cross the 200k and 300k mile mark.

I know the engines are solid, but it's the rest of the car i.e. the interior that I'm more concerned with. The ones under 100k are usually in better shape.

I know I'm being picky, but if I'm going to sell my e30 to buy a car, it's got to be a car I want to own. I'm tired of high mileage cars.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ah, yes, this was a great financial mistake. It's awesome.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

Yeah. I'm in Scottsdale near FLW/Shea.

I sold off my track R6 last month and my Tuono is still for sale -- I turn 30 in a few months so I think I've reached the end of riding for a few reasons. I ran 4 days in my E46 ZHP sedan last month so I think I'll be running a bunch in this. :) Shoot me a PM if you end up booking anything. Chuckwalla is hella my poo poo, AMP is a good car track if you can pass sound, Firebird/WHP is donkeyshit, and Inde is really cool.

Small world, I'm about 10 minutes from you off of Raintree.

I used to run all the local tracks with the Elise until 4 1/2 years ago. Long term goal is to build up an AP1 for TTC in a few years. I'll shoot you a note when I sign up for a track day in the next month or two.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

charliemonster42 posted:

I know the engines are solid, but it's the rest of the car i.e. the interior that I'm more concerned with. The ones under 100k are usually in better shape.

I know I'm being picky, but if I'm going to sell my e30 to buy a car, it's got to be a car I want to own. I'm tired of high mileage cars.

Mechanically speaking outside of the engine the thing most likely to go is the soft top (duh) but that lasts a good ten+ years for OEM and longer for a robbins as long as you take care of it. Nothing else mechanically will break other than the clutch slave cylinders. The seat bolsters will wear out but that is fixable. Other than that the interior doesn't really break

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 10, 2017

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Well gently caress, no wonder they're so expensive!

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Mechanically speaking outside of the engine the thing most likely to go is the soft top (duh) but that lasts a good ten+ years for OEM and longer for a robbins as long as you take care of it. Nothing else mechanically will break other than the clutch slave cylinders. The seat bolsters will wear out but that is fixable. Other than that the interior doesn't really break

I know, I'm just tired of owning high mileage cars. Just for once I'd like to own a car that's under 100k miles. Trouble is, all the low mileage ones are too spendy for me. I'm not spending 23k on a second car. Oh well.

That one with the Penskes on it looks awesome, though. They've got pretty drat good suspension on them from the factory, some real racing shocks must be amazing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I bought that one :)

I also have an E46 330 ZHP with Bilstein inverted struts, Eibach springs, Ground Control camber plates, big front bar, delrin bushings where needed and new OEM ones everywhere else, etc. This car makes that one feel harsh, overdampened in the front, underdampened in the rear, and slow to turn in.

With that said, I also owned a 91 318iS with the entire Ground Control catalog and a bunch of other poo poo. I loved it. I love my E46. The S2000 does not make me feel like I'm driving one of the BMWs, I'm not worried about it breaking (you know what I'm talking about.), it doesn't make any weird noises or vibrations. At all. This is a new feeling.

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

Small world, I'm about 10 minutes from you off of Raintree.

I used to run all the local tracks with the Elise until 4 1/2 years ago. Long term goal is to build up an AP1 for TTC in a few years. I'll shoot you a note when I sign up for a track day in the next month or two.

Sounds good to me :)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 10, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

charliemonster42 posted:

I know, I'm just tired of owning high mileage cars. Just for once I'd like to own a car that's under 100k miles. Trouble is, all the low mileage ones are too spendy for me. I'm not spending 23k on a second car. Oh well.

That one with the Penskes on it looks awesome, though. They've got pretty drat good suspension on them from the factory, some real racing shocks must be amazing.

If you look around you can find pretty good deals throughout the year. You might have to travel though. I've seen quite a few what appear to be pretty clean cars with 50ish thousand miles or less on them for <$15k. If you're patient and look hard enough you can find something lower mileage that won't break the bank. White might be tough to find in that price range, but I've seen some tan interior ones at pretty good prices too. I still look on occasion because I wouldn't mind having a cheaper second one to do fun things in.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

BlackMK4 posted:

I bought that one :)

I also have an E46 330 ZHP with Bilstein inverted struts, Eibach springs, Ground Control camber plates, big front bar, delrin bushings where needed and new OEM ones everywhere else, etc. This car makes that one feel harsh, overdampened in the front, underdampened in the rear, and slow to turn in.

With that said, I also owned a 91 318iS with the entire Ground Control catalog and a bunch of other poo poo. I loved it. I love my E46. The S2000 does not make me feel like I'm driving one of the BMWs, I'm not worried about it breaking (you know what I'm talking about.), it doesn't make any weird noises or vibrations. At all. This is a new feeling.

I know you did, and I'm super jealous lol. It looks like an amazing car. I went and looked at a white one and I was shocked when I got back into my e30 that I didn't totally hate the BMW. I totally expected to hate it.

fknlo posted:

If you look around you can find pretty good deals throughout the year. You might have to travel though. I've seen quite a few what appear to be pretty clean cars with 50ish thousand miles or less on them for <$15k. If you're patient and look hard enough you can find something lower mileage that won't break the bank. White might be tough to find in that price range, but I've seen some tan interior ones at pretty good prices too. I still look on occasion because I wouldn't mind having a cheaper second one to do fun things in.

Yeah, I'll just have to keep my eyes open. I'm rebuilding the motor in the e30 for now, since it needs it. It dynoed at 112hp the other day :smith:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I wanted to run 17x9 +48 RPF1s all around because I love how they look but I don't really want to pull the front fenders. Further research lead me to find that the TSW Nurburgrings on my car are one of they very few 17x9 wheels that clear the big Stoptech calipers, but also clear 255/40s on completely untouched stock fenders. Welp. It would appear this was was set up to actually be competitive in STR. Maybe I'll try the PF01 in 17x9 +60 square.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 11, 2017

GioSPL
Apr 5, 2017

Ask me about spending 10BUX to play with GOONS on a dead game!
I'm looking at several cars including the S2K, but most of those i can find for reasonable prices and without tacky riced mods are all over 120/140k miles. Is this too much for the S2K's chassis? i'm hearing these cars are pretty reliable, but still i'm guessing after 100k you start to feel the chassis and motor wear. anywhere specific to S2Ks i should look for wear?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzy8wPPfMW8

That car has 165k miles. It's not an issue if the car has been taken care of.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

GioSPL posted:

I'm looking at several cars including the S2K, but most of those i can find for reasonable prices and without tacky riced mods are all over 120/140k miles. Is this too much for the S2K's chassis? i'm hearing these cars are pretty reliable, but still i'm guessing after 100k you start to feel the chassis and motor wear. anywhere specific to S2Ks i should look for wear?

S2000s wear incredibly well, which is part of the reason they hold value. If you're looking for specific items that commonly wear, look for ticking timing chain tensioners, check for oil starvation issues, and specifically for AP1 engines, the valve retainers can crack if the engine was mechanically overrevved from a mis-shift.

Also the seat bolsters wear out but that's easy to address. That and the soft top are typically worn out in older examples if they haven't been maintained.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 11, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I went over the car, time to figure out how exactly all this poo poo fits together in reality

Front:
Digressive comp, linear rebound
VS-BP comp stack
VS-FM reb stack
7" 850lb/in springs
Karcepts front swaybar, unknown bar size, one step off full stiff
12.25" center to fender

Rear:
Digressive comp, linear rebound
VS-BP comp stack
VS-E reb stack
Speedway hollow .095 wall rear swaybar set to one step off full soft
7" 500lb/in springs
12" center to fender

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It is pretty low. I don't know the motion ratios for that car off the top of my head but a set of softer springs and a bit more ride height might be good.