Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Athas. It’s a desert world being perpetually punished for overthrowing the gods centuries ago. Life is short and cheap. All anyone can do is make the best of it, and cling to whatever provides them hope. People can't even turn to their gods for comfort, as none exist on Athas - presumably because they are dead.

The party has come together after answering a plea for assistance from a man named Jihae. He claims to be a cleric of the god Inaxav, the God of Water, Peace and Wisdom – which no one on Athas has encountered in what seems like eons. Jihae claims that after centuries of researching in secret, he and his colleagues have possibly stumbled upon a magnificent discovery – the gods may not be dead after all! They may simply have turned their gaze from Athas eons ago, but this gaze may be returned. If this were to work, life could grow verdant and rich as it did in the days before the ancient wars that drove away the gods.

This discovery has opened up a world of possibilities, and Jihae and his colleagues need the assistance of a few good people (a truly rare commodity on Athas) to put this discovery to good use. Maybe you can be the ones to breathe some life into this dying desert world!

About the Setting

Mad Max + DnD :black101:
See my next post for a more detailed breakdown!

About your DM

I am familiar with D&D, however I have never DM'd before. I've never seen anyone play this setting before, but I really wanted to try it out. Hopefully we can all kick back, relax, and have some fun exploring a desert wasteland together!

Character Creation
See my next post - it's entirely dedicated to this and the setting.

House Rules
  • Because of how the campaign setting works, arcane casters can (and probably should be) be reskinned into psionics. Be aware that there are some conditions to this. See my post on the setting for a more detailed explanation or ask me via PM or posting.
  • If your character is a divine caster you MUST clear it with the DM, preferably via PM to keep the thread tidy. *In this setting this does not include druids since they derive their magic from nature, not gods* (A way around this is to serve an element – not a god)
  • If something seems odd about character design, mechanics, etc., it’s because of the setting. Please refer to my post explaining the setting, or ask me for clarification.

Gameplay
  • We will be doing PbP here, starting at level 1 with a party of 4-6. I’m aiming for roughly a 3 day turnaround
  • Stats are standard array or point buy
  • You may take a free feat at first level that you meet prerequisites for.
  • You may take max starting gold for your class instead of the starting package if you want.
  • Leveling up will be episodic as opposed to XP based. I’ll let you know when we are leveling up.
  • We will use Hero points instead of Inspiration
  • You may choose one psionic cantrip from this list

Hero Points:
Each character may have a maximum of 2 Hero Points. You recover 1 Hero Point at each long rest. You can spend your hero point whenever you make an attack roll, ability check or saving throw. You may spend the point after the roll is made but before its results are applied. Spending a hero point allows you to roll 1d6 and add it to the d20, possibly turning a failure into a success. You may only spend 1 hero point per roll. In addition, whenever a character fails a death saving throw, you may spend one hero point to turn the failure into a success. (This is modified from a campaign I follow)

Regarding Magic:
  • In Dark Sun, magic saps energy and life force from the world, literally destroying it. It is possible to cast spells while preserving the world, but spells cast while defiling the world are more powerful—at a price to the land and your allies.
  • By default, spells are cast preserving
  • Defiling: Should you choose not to preserve while casting, your spell is cast as though it were cast with a spell slot one level higher, without expending the higher slot (e.g. a level 3 spell is cast as though it were using a level 4 slot, though only a level 3 slot is consumed.) You may do this even if you cannot normally cast spells of that level. You also receive advantage on your spell attack roll, if applicable. There are consequences to defiling however; defiling magic saps the energy of your allies and destroys the earth – as in the ground under and around you is rendered permanently infertile. In addition, all allies within 100 feet are wracked with terrible physical pain, giving them disadvantage on their next roll, even if they would otherwise have advantage.

I will be capping new submissions on Wednesday, March 16th, and changes to those submissions on Friday, March 18th.

In your submission, please answer why your character answered the plea for help.

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
I am using Dark Sun Campaign Setting – if players want to access it (buy it, or :filez:), they are more than welcome, however it will mostly be providing flavor as we are using 5e mechanics. Just as a blanket statement: these descriptions will be a bit vague, but if you need more information please feel free to ask me!

What is Dark Sun?

Dark Sun is a campaign setting for the Dungeons & Dragons roleplaying game. Set on the desert world of Athas, Dark Sun is about the struggle for survival.
Nine city-states cling to life in the Tablelands. Until recently, they were ruled by powerful Sorcerer-Kings, both tyrants and protectors. Now, only five remain; the other cities are cast into chaos and violent strife. Soon, the desert may swallow them, as it has so many times before. The wastes are riddled with the ruins of cities long dead.
It is a world where magic drains the very essence of life. Ancient wars have left vast swaths of the planet sterile; even now, druids fight a losing battle to preserve the environment. To practice magic is to tempt death at the hands of the mob, yet the cities themselves are ruled by the most powerful of defilers. (from athas.org)

That made no sense.

Well yeah, I guess not. Here’s the cliff notes from the campaign setting (p4 in the setting book):

1. The entire world is pretty much the Sahara. It’s pretty loving hot on Athas (100F by midmorning, to be precise). There’s no rain and only a few oases and forests here and there. The world wasn’t always like this, though. On your adventures, you’ll see ruins of the way things used to be – broken, ancent bridges, the remains of grand temples, dried up former waterways, etc.

2. Athas is basically if an entire planet was a Mad Max movie. Life is pretty brutal. One always has to watch out for slavers, raiders, and who knows what else. Naturally, things are worse if you’re a slave. You may die toiling for a brutal master, or in a bloody combat spectacle.

3. None of your weapons will be made of steel. More likely, they will be made of bone or wood – same as your armor. Seeing a metal item of armor or weapon is pretty unlikely in your lifetime.

4. (Here is why I suggested reskinning arcane magic!) The use of arcane magic in Ye Olden Dayes of Athas is the reason why the world is a wasteland. In this world, the power for arcane magic is derived from the living world. If you cast an arcane spell, the plants around you will wither into ashes, the soil around you is completely infertile forever, and the people around you will be wracked with pain. So why do it? Because arcane magic is more powerful and much easier than being careful – though with care, one can use arcane magic without further loving up the planet. Because of this, most folks aren’t big fans of sorcerers, wizards, or other magical folks. Which brings us to my next point…

5. The city-states that DO exist are ruled by sorcerer kings that practice the “loving the earth up” variety of magic. They’ve been in power for centuries, and nobody remembers a time when they weren’t. Some of them think they’re gods, some claim to serve gods. Most are pretty oppressive and vary in how they oppress people.

6. (Here is why there’s a rule about divine characters!)The gods are gone. This is the other reason the world is a wasteland. Long ago, the world was green and lush. But then people hosed it up and drove the gods out. Now it’s…not. As a result, there are no clerics, paladins, or any sense of religion. You can still see crumbling shrines and temples, though nobody alive knows what they’re for. In lieu of actual divine influence, psionics have become very common (to the point that even some of the local fauna can use them too). Shamans and druids rely on more primal forces, such as the elements.

7. Speaking of the local fauna – don’t expect your average bears, wolves, and lions. You need to be far tougher than that to survive on Athas.

8. Forget everything you know about the races of D&D. On Athas, Elves are nomads who are usually herding animals, raiding caravans, peddling their wares (or stealing them). Halflings like to hunt and kill trespassers. And eat them. Also, there is a race of giant talking bugs.

Sounds like a lovely place. Who lives here?

A great question! Here are some examples to help you write your characters and get a sense of the folks you may meet along the way! (p9 in the setting):

-Athasian Minstrel: Desert Bards

-Dune Trader: Desert Merchants

-Elemental Priest: Kind of like clerics, but more primal. They probably worship something to do with nature, and are pretty important to rural villagers and nomad tribes. Some are healers/shamans, some are assassins, and others are warriors bolstered by primal elements. Sorcerer-kings don’t like them too much.

-Gladiator :hist101: : Exactly what it says on the tin. Prized gladiators live a pretty great life, relatively speaking. They’re considered slaves, but are granted a pretty significant amount of liberties. Although, some people voluntarily become gladiators for the money and the glory (and the killing)

-Noble adept: Rich folks who have had the time and luxury of training in their chosen interests.

-Primal guardian: Sort of like the priests, only they draw from what life is left on athas (forests, oases, etc).

-Templar: The police of the city-states who are allowed to use defiling magic at will. Like cops, some are good and some are crooked. Some want to overthrow the sorcerer-kings, even. In a few odd cases, they serve as “priests” to said kings, even though there are no gods.

-Veiled Alliance: A group of people that protects arcane casters by teaching them how to NOT kill the earth when casting magic.

-Wasteland nomad: Desert wanderers.

-Wilder: People who are gifted in psionics with no formal training, usually poor people who cannot afford it.

Races:

(If you have access to the campaign setting, we will not be using all of the races since I am using 5e and the mechanics don’t all translate well)

Standard 5e races exist, however they’re a little bit different…

Dragonborn – The result of some experimenting by ancient sorcerer-kings, they live in tight-knight clans that have their own citadels or towers, usually functioning as mercenaries, sorcerers, and slave traders. Well known for being calculating, sly and kinda back-stabby. They are very loyal to each other and take vendettas very seriously. Good businessmen.

Dwarf – don’t have their own lands and live amongst other races. Dwarves have a rich history and culture, and typically work as miners or artisans. Dwarven cities were marvelous wonders in ancient times, and dwarves have kept their history alive through sagas and tales

Gnomes – what gnomes? no gnomes here.

Elf – typically nomads who do not stick around one place very long. Each city-state hosts a branch of the Elven Market where elves sell their wares (often cheap poo poo stolen from other people, however they have a pretty great selection of items). Elven tribes can walk approximately 40 miles per day due to their naturally amazing endurance. Others think of elves as lazy and deceitful, which isn’t entirely untrue. Elves often avoid drudgery or hard work, and tend to live in the now. Elves will happily trick or deceive anyone who isn’t a member of their tribe, though they honor their word in business deals until a deal is too good to pass up. However, elves a typically good and loyal friends…if you can make friends with one.

(There are no half-orcs, but they’re being reskinned as…)
Goliaths (Half-Giants) – offspring created by sorcerer kings seeking to create minions. Most are serving in armies or functioning as hired thugs or mercenaries. Tribal relations are often contentious, and huge feuds can erupt over ancient slights. Shamans and druids are influential in the tribes and serve as peacemakers and advisors. Often a goliath will leave their enemies behind to seek new opportunities, hoping to return to the tribe to show up their enemies with treasure and captives. Tend to be moody and short tempered.

Half-Elf – live pretty difficult lives, being discriminated by both elves and humans. Elves will often dispose of mixed offspring out of shame, and humans distrust them. They tend to live as loners, or invent assertive personalities and get along well with unrelated races.

Halfling – from a mysterious and legendary jungle in the Ringing Mountains. Halflings are brave and cunning and feared for their savagery. It’s said they’re the oldest race in the world, and retreated to the mountains when dark magic took hold of the world. They are spiritual people and are connected to the natural world – the most connected of any of the races. Halflings are very communal and do not consider themselves individuals – rather they are part of a race, and thus cannot betray each other. Halflings view all creatures (including humanoids) as sources of sustenance.

Humans – Most humans live in city-states, but are kept illiterate and uninformed of their pasts by sorcerer-kings. Humans only know the tales told in their communities and the propaganda told to them by the sorcerer kings, painting them as heroes who saved Athas from destruction.

Tiefling – descended from humans who bargained with dark powers in order to survive. Tieflings are remorseless raiders who take no prisoners and leave no survivors. They are considered to be death incarnate. Most function as enforcers, gladiators, assassins, and so on. Many believe they carry a blood debt because of their ancestor’s bargains and feel it must be paid within their lifetime, often feeling that each person they kill reduces their own debt. Others assume it cannot ever be paid and live a wild, debauched lifestyle. Still others can ascend in the ranks of Templars, or even become nobility.

That can't be all.

It's not, but this post is meant to be a bit of a quick start guide to characters and the setting. If you need more detailed information, let me know and I will be happy to answer!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dark Sun owns bones. I'll think up a character concept and post it in the next couple days.

What are you going to be doing about psionics?

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Drone posted:

Dark Sun owns bones. I'll think up a character concept and post it in the next couple days.

What are you going to be doing about psionics?

You can pick an arcane class and reskin it if you want.

You can also give the new psionic class a shot if you want as well. It's only semi-official at the moment, but if you want to borrow something from it, I'll allow it.

Or a little of column A and a little of column B. I don't want to stifle anyone's creativity!

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
Gentle Leviathan
Precious few in the world of Athas have the luxury of such things as hopes and dreams. Practicality demands focus on more important matters, and more often than not, the only 'important thing' on the list is surviving for another few days. In the heart of the Tablelands, stretching over a hundred thousand square miles of little more than barren desert, arid badlands, and intermittent patches of mud, there is no such thing as mercy.

There is, however, ingenuity. The laws of nature dictate survival of the fittest deep within the Tablelands, and although the brave and foolhardy often seek to test themselves against the land, it is common for the brave and the unwise to find themselves falling prey to the local fauna: particularly, the pack lords.

The genasi child never knew her parents ...or anyone, really. Not for a long time, anyway. That was probably for the best, given that she had been sold into slavery as a newborn, and was en route in a caravan to one of the city-states to be auctioned off when fate intervened. 'Fate' being a subjective term. When you're a slaver, you probably shouldn't skimp on muscle to help you traverse the wasteland. Bad things can happen. Like a pack of a dozen hungry jackals descending upon you in the middle of the night, tearing you and your entire inventory apart like confetti. Most of your inventory, anyway.

That's where the ingenuity comes in. In the world of Athas, it isn't just the sentient races that struggle to survive, it's everything, even a pack of jackals. You don't need to be a genius, or even sentient, really, to realize that something that is currently in the process of creating water from thin air isn't necessarily a thing you should kill during the course of your bloody rampage. Maybe that's 'fate', or maybe it's evolution. Maybe it's just blind luck. One way or another, though, it's how a young genasi ended up being raised by the pack lord of a tribe of giant, bloodthirsty, wasteland traveling hyena.

That was a while ago. Fifteen years? Maybe thirty. It's hard to tell how old you are when you only learned about the concept of a calendar a few weeks ago. Correction, a few years ago. Remembering the terminology isn't the easiest either, truth be told. The pack is scattered at this point, likely to be dead within the year. There was safety in numbers, most of the time. Not always, though. They had a good run, but eventually everything meets its match in the Tablelands. Their end came at the point of a flint-tipped arrow: or more accurately, a few hundred of them. Later, she learned they were called 'elves'. Previously, she knew they were called 'food'. It was all a misunderstanding, and one she didn't particularly know how to process.

Her pack lord had been slain, which left her without an advocate among the pack. Even if she were to seek out the remnants of her brothers and sisters, would they accept her? Possibly. Probably, even. But how could she look them in the eye, knowing she did nothing to intervene when death came for them? She had frozen in terror as the pointy-eared creatures emerged from the dunes, surrounding them and screaming something she couldn't understand in their unnatural tongue. The slaughter began almost immediately, from hundreds of feet away. What she couldn't understand was why they didn't end her with her pack. She was, after all, weaker than the rest. Wasn't that the way of things? Shouldn't it have been the way of things?

They captured her, as far as she understood it at the time. She assumed they planned to eat her. That was their right, all things considered. It never came, though. Like her pack lord before them, they saw her as a source of water, and made a place for her in their pack. That she could understand. There was a sensibility to it. In time they taught her one of their unnatural tongues, and once she could understand, they tried to rewrite history. She was not a prisoner, but a valued member of the tribe. They did not want her to leave, but understood that she felt out of place, being of a different species. How could she stay? These people killed her family. Ate her family in front of her, the very same night. She understood the fairness of their actions, but she could never be one of them. Would never want to be one of them.

She never took any vengeance upon them, of course. That wasn't the way of the wastes, nor was it really the way of her pack. They had ambushed them fair and square, butchering them for meat and blood that they needed to survive. Her pack had done the same to them countless times, and it was inevitable that the tide would turn one day. In a way, it was even beautiful.

Wandering the wastes alone is a dangerous choice in life. Even when one has their immediate needs taken care of, with sufficient nutrition and a deep understanding of the terrain, there are countless dangers above, upon, and beneath the sands. A chance encounter with a crazed old man has led her towards something new, perhaps even something important. Or perhaps not. While she does not necessarily understand his cause, she does recognize that his words have done much to draw others to him. Believing in the words of a man raised among men is not the easiest thing for her, but she understands the makings of a new and powerful pack when she sees one. She has journeyed alone long enough, and has no desire to tempt fate by wandering the wastes alone for another day.

When the call to arms comes, she will answer, because others will answer. And when the pack is formed, she will be there, as she always was, and as she always should have been. She is the Gentle Leviathan of the wastes, and this is her purpose.
pre:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Name:		Gentle Leviathan				Alignment:	True Neutral
Race:		Water Genasi					Background:	Wasteland Soul
Class:		Druid (1)					Size:		Medium

STR		 8 (-1) [ 8 base]		[0]		INT		10 (--)	[10 base]		[2]
DEX		14 (+2)	[14 base]		[7]		WIS		16 (+3)	[15 base + 1 racial]	[9]
CON		16 (+3)	[14 base + 2 racial]	[7]		CHA		10 (--)	[10 base]		[2]

HP		11 	[8 druid + 3 ability]			AC		16	[ 2 ability + 12 armor + 2 shield]
Speed		30'	[30 racial]				Initiative	+2	[ 2 ability]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Race:		Water Genasi
		• +2 Constitution / +1 Wisdom
		• Language proficiency (common)
		• Language proficiency (primordial)
		• Acid resistance
		   > Gain resistance to acid damage.
		• Amphibious
		   > Gain the ability to breathe air and water.
		• Swim
		   > Gain a swimming speed of 30 feet.
		• Call to the Wave
		   > Gain the Shape Water cantrip.
		   > At 3rd level, gain the ability to cast the Create or Destroy Water spell as a 2nd-level spell once
		     with this trait, regaining the ability to cast it this way upon finishing a long rest.

Background:	Wasteland soul
		• Skill proficiency (stealth)
		• Skill proficiency (survival)
		• Language proficiency (elven)
		• Tool proficiency (leatherworker’s tools)
		• Feature: Wasteland secrets
		  > You know the secret patterns and flow to the wasteland and can find passages through the desert sprawl
                    that others would miss.  When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between
                    any two locations in the wasteland twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Class:	Druid
		• Skill proficiency (animal handling)
		• Skill proficiency (perception)
		• Language proficiency (druidic)
		• Tool proficiency (herbalism kit)

Spellcasting
		• Cantrips		(2)
		• Prepared spells	(4)						[1 Druid + 3 Ability]
		• Spell slots
		    Lv. 1		(2)
		• Spellcasting focus
		• Ritual casting
		  You can cast a druid spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared.

Feats:	Sentinel
		• When you hit a creature with an opportunity attack, its speed becomes 0' for the rest of the turn.
		• Creatures within 5' of you provoke opportunity attacks from you even if they take the Disengage action.
		• When a creature within 5' of you makes an attack against a target other than you (and that target doesn’t
		  have this feat), you can use your reaction to make a melee weapon attack against the attacking creature.
Spellcasting:
Cantrips
   Thought projection			[Psionic]		[Athas]
   Shape water				[Transmutation]		[Water Genasi]
   Control flames			[Transmutation]		[Druid 1-1]
   Mold earth				[Transmutation]		[Druid 1-2]
Skills:
Athletics		- 1		---		STR	[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Acrobatics		+ 2		---		DEX	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Sleight of hand		+ 2		---		DEX	[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Stealth			+ 4		Background	DEX	[2 proficiency + 2 ability]
Knowledge
   (arcana)		---		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (history)		---		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (investigation)	---		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (nature)		---		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
   (religion)		---		---		INT	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Animal handling		+ 5		Druid		WIS	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Insight			+ 3		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 3 ability]
Medicine		+ 3		---		WIS	[0 proficiency + 3 ability]
Perception		+ 5		Druid		WIS	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Survival		+ 5		Background	WIS	[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Deception		---		---		CHA	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Intimidation		---		---		CHA	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Performance		---		---		CHA	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]
Persuasion		---		---		CHA	[0 proficiency + 0 ability]

Arms			Club / Dagger / Dart / Javelin / Mace / Quarterstaff / Scimitar / Sickle / Sling / Spear
Armor			Light / Medium / Shield
Tools			Herbalism Kit / Leatherworker's Tools
Vehicles		---

Saves:
Strength		- 1		---			[0 proficiency - 1 ability]
Dexterity		+ 2		---			[0 proficiency + 2 ability]
Constitution		+ 3		---			[0 proficiency + 3 ability]
Intelligence		+ 2		Druid			[2 proficiency + 0 ability]
Wisdom			+ 5		Druid			[2 proficiency + 3 ability]
Charisma		+ 0		---			[0 proficiency + 0 ability]

Languages:		4					[2 racial + 1 background + 1 class]
   Standard            (2):		Common / Elven
   Exotic              (2):		Druidic / Primordial
Inventory:
Arms
Sling				[x 4]   (     .4 gp)		 --    lbs.		1d4 bludgeoning
  Sling bullets			[x50]   (     .1 gp)		  3.75 lbs.

Armor and clothing
Mekillot hide armor			(   10   gp)		 12    lbs.
Hardened mekillot scale shield		(   10   gp)		  6    lbs.
Hyena fang necklace			(    1   gp)		 --    lbs.		Druidic totem
Backpack				(    2   gp)		  5    lbs.		30 lbs. capacity
  Leatherworker's tools			(    5   gp)		  5    lbs.
  Flask				[x25]	(     .5 gp)		 25    lbs.		25 pint / 3.12 gallon capacity
  Currency				(    1   gp)		 --    lbs.

Animal companions
 Mastiff			[x 2]	(   50   gp)		 --    lbs.
					-----------		----------
					    80   gp		 56.75 lbs.
					-----------		----------
TLDR:
I am a water genasi druid that was raised by a pack of giant hyena. The pack was later killed by elves, who 'rescued' me, from their point of view.

Personality: Quiet and unassuming, the Gentle Leviathan prefers to follow a pack leader's direction, as this is how she was raised.
Ideal: The sentient races are clearly a part of nature, yet obviously separate from it. If I could make them understand, they would be better for it.
Bond: The pack must work together to survive. We can survive alone, but we should not strive for it.
Flaw: Nature must be allowed to run its course. Mercy is unnatural.

[Character block, for my reference later:]
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Gentle Leviathan > 11 / 11 HP > 16 AC >

:words:

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Passive: Perception (15) / Investigation (10) / Survival (15) / Concentration / Stealth
Limited: Hit Dice (1/1d8) / Hero Dice (2/2d6) / Bullets (x50)
Cantrip: Shape Water / Mold Earth / Control Flames / Thought Projection
Ritual: Speak With Animals / ???
[2/2] Lv. 1: Animal Friendship / ???
Journal

Waador fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 20, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Interest post, gonna be making a CG Barbarian Caravan Guard.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Waador posted:

I will likely apply a water genasi cleric (or druid) of water named Liquid Love. Details forthcoming this weekend.
Do aquatic elves exist in this setting?

There isn't really much that's "aquatic" about Athas. Though you could be an elf that worships water, in whatever limited forms it exists.

Genasi are ok though.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Interest posting!! I'm probably gonna post a Fire focused Elemental (Light) Cleric at some point in the next couple days.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Artas the Quick

Life is harsh. Especially for a half-elf. Elves tend to kill half-elves at birth, and humans don't really trust them. So each half-elf that lives among humans has to find their own way of fitting in. From a young age Artas wanted to be liked, he wanted to be popular, he wanted to be known. And he found he had a quick hand and a winning smile. So he took to the gladiator arenas, willingly. Many of his fellow gladiators are slaves, but Artas works for the fame, the recognition, and the other perks of being a successful and well liked gladiator. He found he was good working in tandem with another gladiator, and how to work the crowd.

Artas has begun to make a name for himself, as Artas the Quick, but it isn't enough. So when the call goes out for adventurers to find some clue to bringing back the god of water he thought, well this will make me famous. And so he signed up.

pre:
Name: Artas the Quick
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Rogue
Level: 1
XP: 0/300

HP: 10
AC: 14
Hero Point: 2
Init: +8
Proficiency: +2

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Background: Gladiator
Languages: Common, Elvish, Thieves' Cant, Tyrian
Size: Medium
Speed: 30ft

STR: 10 (+0)
DEX: 16 (+3)
CON: 14 (+2)
INT: 10 (+0)
WIS: 10 (+0)
CHA: 16 (+3)

Skills
Acrobatics (+5), Athletics (+4), Insight (+2), Intimidate (+5), Investigation (+2), Perception (+2), Performance (+5), Persuasion (+7)

Passive Investigation 12                Passive Perception 12

Tools
Bone Flute (+5), Disguise Kit (+5), Thieves Tools (+5)

Weapons
Simple Weapons, Hand Crossbow, Longsword, Rapier, Shortsword

Armor
Light Armor

Saves
Dexterity (+5), Intelligence (+2)

Personality:
Traits: Whenever I come to a new place, I collect local rumors and spread gossip.
Ideals: People: I like seeing the smiles on people's faces when I perform. That's all that matters. (Neutral)
Bonds: I idolize a hero of the old tales and measure my deeds against that person's.
Flaws: I'll do anything to win fame and renown.

Racial Traits
Half-Elf (+2 Charisma and +1 to two other ability scores of my choice)

Skill Versatility:
   I gain proficiency in two skills of my choice.

Class Traits

Rogue, level 1:
◆ Expertise (Rogue 1, PHB 96) [with two skills]
   I gain expertise with two skills/thieves' tools I am proficient with; two more at 6th level
◆ Sneak Attack (Rogue 1, PHB 96) [1d6]
   Once per turn, I can add damage to finesse/ranged attack if I have adv.
   I don't need adv. if a conscious ally is within 5 ft of the target and I don't have disadv.
◆ Thieves' Cant (Rogue 1, PHB 96)
   I know the secret rogue language that I can use to convey messages inconspicuously

Feats:
Alert
Always on the lookout for danger, you gain the
following benefits:
• You gain a +5 bonus to initiative.
• You can’t be surprised while you are conscious.
• Other creatures don’t gain advantage on attack rolls
against you as a result of being hidden from you.

Equipment
Backpack, with:
- Bedroll
- Mess kit
- Tinderbox
- Torches (10)
- Rations, days of (10)
- Waterskin
- Hempen rope, feet of (50')
- Thieves' tools
Costume
Favor of an admirer
Belt pouch (with coins 15g)
Inexpensive, unusual weapon
Leather armor
Shortswords (2)
Daggers (2) 

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Haffanu was contacted and hired by Jihae for being the best value elven guide and bounty hunter. There was very little pay up front, and much promised on completion. The risk was too high for a seasoned, more expensive guide, but the potential reward is more than enough to convince one who others say has hit her ceiling. That's just an attempt to get her to go back to her tribe and play nursemaid. Luck played a part in netting her first big kill--a monstrosity that had sent many to their own healers--but claiming that's all it was?
Nonsense. Time to prove everyone wrong until they learn to accept reality.

quote:

Haffanu
Elf/Wood Elf, Bounty Hunger Ranger/Deep Night Stalker 1
Bounty Hunter,True Neutral
Armor Class 18
Hit Points 11
Speed 35 ft.
STR
10 (0)
DEX
18 (+4)
CON
13 (+1)
INT
13 (+1)
WIS
14 (+2)
CHA
9 (-1)
Proficiency Bonus+2
Skills Acrobatics +6, Investigation +3, Medicine +4, Perception +4, Stealth +6, Survival +4
Senses passive Perception 14
Languages elf, common, thieves' cant
Actions

Whip. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 (STR) or +6 (DEX - finesse) to hit, reach 10 ft. Hit: 1d4 (STR) or 1d4 +4 (DEX - finesse) slashing damage.
Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, range 150/600 ft. Hit: 1d8 +4 piercing damage.
Dart. Ranged Weapon Attack: +6 (DEX) or +2 (STR - finesse) to hit, range 20/60 ft. Hit: 1d4 +4 (DEX) or 1d4 (STR - finesse) piercing damage.

Athlete. You have undergone extensive physical training to gain the following benefits: • Increase your Strength or Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20. • When you are prone, standing up uses only 5 feet of your movement. • Climbing doesn’t halve your speed. • You can make a running long jump or a running high jump after moving only 5 feet on foot, rather than 10 feet.

Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed and magic can't put you to sleep

Trance. Elves don't need to sleep. Instead, they meditate deeply, remaining semiconscious, for 4 hours a day. (The Common word for such meditation is 'trance. ') While meditating, you can dream after a fashion; such dreams are actually mental exercises that have become re exive through years of practice. After resting in this way, you gain the same bene t that a human does from 8 hours of sleep.

Darkvision. Accustomed to twilit forests and the night sky, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.

Mask of the Wild. You can attempt to hide even when you are only lightly obcured by foliage, heavy rain, falling snow, mist, and other natural phenomena

Ear to the Ground.You are in frequent contact with people in the segment of society that your chosen quarries move through. These people might be associated with the criminal underworld, the rough-and-tumble folk of the streets, or members of high society. This connection comes in the form of a contact in any city you visit, a person who provides information about the people and places of the local area.

Body Equilibrium. You know how to shift your weight from step to step, staying atop a tricky surface. As a bonus action, during your move, you gain advantage on Acrobatics checks to balance, and do not sink when moving over soft or brittle terrain, such as dust, silt, mud, snow, or thin ice.

Favored Enemy. Beginning at 1st level, you have significant experience studying, tracking, hunting, and even talking to a certain type of enemy.
Choose a type of favored enemy: aberrations, beasts, celestials, constructs, dragons, elementals, fey, fiends, giants, monstrosities, oozes, plants, or undead. Alternatively, you can select two races of humanoid (such as gnolls and orcs) as favored enemies [HUMANS AND ELVES].
You have advantage on Wisdom (Survival) checks to track your favored enemies, as well as on Intelligence checks to recall information about them.
When you gain this feature, you also learn one language of your choice that is spoken by your favored enemies, if they speak one at all[THIEVES' CANT].
You choose one additional favored enemy, as well as an associated language, at 6th and 14th level. As you gain levels, your choices should reflect the types of monsters you have encountered on your adventures.

Natural Explorer. You are particularly familiar with one type of natural environment and are adept at traveling and surviving in such regions. Choose one type of favored terrain: arctic, coast, desert, forest, grassland, mountain, or swamp. When you make an Intelligence or Wisdom check related to your favored terrain, your proficiency bonus is doubled if you are using a skill that you're proficient in.
While traveling for an hour or more in your favored terrain, you gain the following benefits:
* Difficult terrain doesn't slow your group's travel.
* Your group can't become lost except by magical means.
* Even when you are engaged in another activity while traveling (such as foraging, navigating, or tracking), you remain alert to danger.
* If you are traveling alone, you can move stealthily at a normal pace.
* When you forage, you find twice as much food as you normally would.
* While tracking other creatures, you also learn their exact number, their sizes, and how long ago they passed through the area. You choose additional favored terrain types at 6th and 10th level.

Gear. studded leather, shield, long bow, 100 arrows, whip, net, 20 darts, sling, 40 bullets, draft horse, pack saddle, thieves' tools, 50ft hempen rope, 2 30gallon barrels, waterskin
Trinket. A vest with one hundred tiny pockets
Money. 6s2c
Weight. 58/150lbs

horse Gear. 2 30gallon barrels, pack saddle
horse Weight. 155/540lbs

Personality Trait. The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it or the risks are too high.
Ideal. Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them (freedom: chaos).
Bond. I will become the best Bounty Hunter that ever lived.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 22, 2016

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
OMG dark sun :black101:

I don't have time to dedicate but give me something awesome to read!

Here's the old DS thread if anyone wants background info or art - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3196218

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
I haven't played Dark Sun since the 2E version in like the mid '90s. Should be fun. I'm thinking of an Elf nomad, maybe a druid/elemental priest -- or maybe not; let's see where Inspiration takes me!

A couple of questions first, though:
Old School Dark Sun had characters starting at 3rd level on account of how dangerous the environment is. Are you sure you want everyone to start at level 1, or have you considered the slightly-more-advanced option?

You initially state that characters start with 2 Hero Points, but then at level up characters get 5 + 1/2 level (rounded which way?) -- do you mean 1 + 1/2 level, or something else?

Are there specific mechanical effects that go along with the fluff for each of the races/classes, or should we just incorporate that into our individual builds? For example, the idea of elves being able to run forever across the scorching desert sands -- is there some racial ability tied to that bit of fluff, or if we want to have that should we just get Athlete or a similar feat? Similarly with the Athas-specific "classes"; it's probably not too hard to build to one of those archetypes with standard classes + backgrounds -- or do you have other specific mechanics in mind for these?

Finally, how about Psionics? Will everybody get some kind of wild talent, or is that only for "spellcasters"?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Melchiresa posted:

There isn't really much that's "aquatic" about Athas. Though you could be an elf that worships water, in whatever limited forms it exists.

Genasi are ok though.

Cool. I was mostly thinking of it from the perspective of being an aquatic elf who is absolutely furious with the current state of affairs on Athas, in that his native environment no longer even exists.
The ability to breathe water is kind of a wasted gimmick on Athas though so I might just flavour a wood elf as being 'descended from' aquatic elves, let me think about it.

I would also second most of TBN's queries.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Waador posted:

Cool. I was mostly thinking of it from the perspective of being an aquatic elf who is absolutely furious with the current state of affairs on Athas, in that his native environment no longer even exists.
The ability to breathe water is kind of a wasted gimmick on Athas though so I might just flavour a wood elf as being 'descended from' aquatic elves, let me think about it.

I would also second most of TBN's queries.

Make your own Silt Elf!

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Slept on it and realized I should ask whether there are actually horses or camels or anything in Dark Sun. Otherwise it looks like an erdland is basically the same as the draft horse I have except also a dino-chocobo.
Some kind of combination of :yoshi: and :parrot: I gather. So, do I get a draft horse or that thing, and is that thing what I think it is?

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

TychoBrahesNose posted:

I haven't played Dark Sun since the 2E version in like the mid '90s. Should be fun. I'm thinking of an Elf nomad, maybe a druid/elemental priest -- or maybe not; let's see where Inspiration takes me!

A couple of questions first, though:
Old School Dark Sun had characters starting at 3rd level on account of how dangerous the environment is. Are you sure you want everyone to start at level 1, or have you considered the slightly-more-advanced option?

You initially state that characters start with 2 Hero Points, but then at level up characters get 5 + 1/2 level (rounded which way?) -- do you mean 1 + 1/2 level, or something else?

Are there specific mechanical effects that go along with the fluff for each of the races/classes, or should we just incorporate that into our individual builds? For example, the idea of elves being able to run forever across the scorching desert sands -- is there some racial ability tied to that bit of fluff, or if we want to have that should we just get Athlete or a similar feat? Similarly with the Athas-specific "classes"; it's probably not too hard to build to one of those archetypes with standard classes + backgrounds -- or do you have other specific mechanics in mind for these?

Finally, how about Psionics? Will everybody get some kind of wild talent, or is that only for "spellcasters"?

I'm a little embarrassed I didn't think of these!

I'll have some answers later this evening after I get off work.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

How are you on Thri-Kreen PC's? I'm still thinking about character ideas.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Not using them at the moment, since I couldn't get 5e mechanics to work quite right with them (or half dwarves). I can be open to it if you can make them work, since it'd be pretty awesome to be a giant cricket/mantis thing.

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

I don't have a stake in this situation, but I cobbled together a thing for Thri-kreen that isn't as silly as the homebrew on on the wiki.

Thri-kreen: always proficient in stealth, double proficiency to hide with camouflage (as elf Keen Senses and dwarf Stonecunning), 4hrs torpor, +1 ac (both as Warforged), interact with objects twice instead of once per turn without having to use an action (homebrew for the multi arms thing), 35ft speed (as elf), and +2 one stat +1 another, probably dex and wis (as most races).

e; Also I don't see why elves' being able to run across the desert is a racial bonus instead of a background perk, since there could be some lazy completely city dwelling elf and they definitely shouldn't have the endurance perk. They would have the Urchin or whatever their background's perk instead of the Outlander one.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 8, 2016

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
No horses in dark sun (if dm is sticking to canon) but crodlu are the yoshi bird mounts, kank are giant ants, both are basically horses. Mekillot are lizard-elephants.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Ja'eel, LG Human Outlander Fire Cleric(Light) 1

(I'm on the LN side of LG)

Character Sheet

I come from a small tribe in the Western Hinterlands. My people, we’re small in number, about 50. There’s nothing special about us. Not much at least. The one thing we’ve been blessed with is a knack for finding good water and good materials for fires. We’re a herding people, and I thank the land every day for our stock.

For years I have led my people and served as an intermediary between my people and the all-encompassing, ever-giving elements, for we have no respite from them in this harsh world, and yet we would have no respite without them either. For my people, I keep the sun cool, keep the night warm, keep the flames going and keep the water flowing. I keep the livestock alive and disease at bay. I worship the elements because they are what allow us to live, and what cause us to die. And for that, they love me. They revere me, call me leader. I let them. I keep them alive, why shouldn’t I keep them on the right path too? They’re my flock, much as our stock is ours. Beyond taming the elements, the rest of my job is simple. When someone is thirsty, I call upon the elements to provide it, and if they can provide no more, make sure that it is shared. When we have a thief, I make sure they are punished. Harshly. When outsiders raid us, I call upon the full fury of raw fire to make them meet their doom.

Now, Gods. Why I’m here. Gods… I know the gods are dead. Everyone does. They can’t be alive, could they? Not with the world like this! They wouldn’t let us. No god would. The gods are dead and there’s nothing for us but the earth beneath our feet, the fire keeping us warm at night, the water sustaining us, and above all, the relentless sun above our heads.

But I’ve always wondered, staring into the flame late at night… what if the gods aren’t dead? What if there’s still something behind the fire keeping us warm, beyond our sun, beneath the earth. I wonder if they’re still there. What if we’ve done something horribly wrong? What if they’re punishing us for destroying our own world? Letting us suffer? Torturing us, just to prove a point? I wonder If we can talk to the gods, repent… if we have a shot at repairing the world. When I heard about you, it sounded like a ray of hope, that someday, some way, our world could get better. That’s why I did the unthinkable. Why I left my tribe. Why I left them without an intermediary, without a leader. Because maybe, just maybe, by doing this I’ll make the world better for them.

Late at night, I sit, staring at the flames, and I wonder… if the gods are dead… why aren’t we?

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

ritorix posted:

No horses in dark sun (if dm is sticking to canon) but crodlu are the yoshi bird mounts, kank are giant ants, both are basically horses. Mekillot are lizard-elephants.

I don't know much about Dark Sun but as a setting question for the DM, are we just going to use Monster Manual analogues to various creatures? Basically "well horses and brown bears don't exist but use their stats for sand bears and sand horses." Or is there a detailed with-stats-and-CR Athas monster list somewhere?

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013
Expressing my interest for this. I'll try to dream up a character in the coming days.

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009

Tazoc Ichtaca, Halfing Monk

My name is Tazoc Ichtaca. Though it is not merely a name, it is also a title. 'Tazoc,' for Man, and 'Ichtaca' for Exile. Thus, Tazoc Ichtaca: The Man in Exile. Each of these names given unto my People is powerful, rooted in myth and tradition. To understand the People, you must understand the Stories that give them their titles.

--

The Story of Tazoc is one of tragedy, but also of hope.
He was the First, created by Nature to defend her bounty, the trees, the animals, the rivers, streams, and lakes, all of her creation. For a time, there was no need for his services: life was peaceful, and Nature and Tazoc were content to live in harmony. He hunted, fished, ate, slept, coexisted peacefully with nature alone.

It could not last.
There were Outsiders, others who invaded Nature's territory and took what they wished without returning it. They poached animals, they drank from the streams until they dried up, they cut down the trees for wood and paper. It was an injustice that Tazoc would not tolerate. He hunted them down, one by one, settlement by settlement.

But even burning with indignant rage and on a quest for justice, he could not win alone. At least, not quickly.
By the time the Outsiders were dead or repelled, Nature wept to see what had become of her creation. The land was barren, the water dry, the animals warped and twisted into creatures of nightmare.

Tazoc felt a profound loss unlike any he had ever felt before. He did not know what to do.
Nature gave him a command: do not weep for what has been lost, Tazoc. Find it within yourself to do what you must to repent.

Tazoc thought on Nature's command for a long time. He went to the Ringing Mountains. As he thought about what to do, he walked around the largest mountain.
It was a long walk, but Tazoc suddenly found within himself a strength he had never felt before. He knew what to do. He walked, endlessly, tirelessly around the mountain.

For each time he walked around the mountain, Nature gave him a gift.
A brother, a sister, a friend. A tree, fully grown, an animal sprung from the barren earth.

Tazoc walked without eating, sleeping, drinking.
He walked until his legs gave out, and he was forced to crawl.
He crawled until his knees could not support his weight, and he dragged himself forward.

The People were created from Tazoc's willing sacrifice, our forests the result of Nature's generosity.
Every man takes his name, for Tazoc was the First, and we all strive to meet his example.

--

Tazoc Ichtaca was a soldier in service of the People, as they call themselves. Even in the forests around the Ringing Mountains, the expeditions and scouts from the city-states find their way.

Athas is a place that needs those jungles, for game, lumber, the pure waters of the rivers and lakes that populate the jungles.
The People's Stories, their myths, feature these outsiders as figures of almost pure evil that the People must defeat in order to appease Nature. Over time, these stories have become imprinted on the People, and so they take this sacred duty very seriously.

Working together in pairs or teams, the soldiers seem unstoppable, seemingly attacking from behind every tree, down from every branch.
With spear, fist, sling, even with the aid of the animals, these soldiers rid their jungles of invaders.

His exile was self-imposed, in a sense.
The call for help from a Water Cleric reached the People. How many of these messages had they previously received and ignored? How long could they stay in their jungles, hoping that another figure will be born like Tazoc, who gave the People life and hope?

It was time for someone to leave, to take action in order to change their fate, create a Story worthy of Tazoc, the First of the People.
In so doing, he took the name Tazoc Ichtaca, the Man in Exile. He will return with the promise of a new world, a world that Nature will be proud to watch over.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 8, 2016

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
I have a bit of downtime today at work, so I'll try to answer a few things real quick:

TychoBrahesNose:
1: I'm sticking with with starting everyone at level 1. I'll be sure to scale monsters and such appropriately so that it's still a challenge.
2: I'm an idiot and wrote that wrong. You get 2 max, get back 1 per long rest. Leveling doesn't regain the points. I'll fix that in the OP
3: RE: Specific mechanics - just incorporate it into your builds.
4: You can choose a non-offensive cantrip, since psionics are a thing. I'll throw up a list later when I have more time.

Slydingdoor:

I like your Thri-kreen build! If someone wants to use it, they can go for it. I'm all for diversity, and that includes bipedal bugs.

Waador:

Yes, there is an Athas specific monster manual full of delightful creatures. I will be using them and making them 5e friendly.

ps hello Eberron campaign buddies :kimchi:

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Melchiresa posted:

3: RE: Specific mechanics - just incorporate it into your builds.

By this do you mean there's no new/special mechanics at play for races/bgs/etc, and to just use the standard ones for your builds (with maybe some tweaks with DM approval)? Or are you talking about building the dune-running/etc into your build specially/inherently?

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Look Around You posted:

By this do you mean there's no new/special mechanics at play for races/bgs/etc, and to just use the standard ones for your builds (with maybe some tweaks with DM approval)? Or are you talking about building the dune-running/etc into your build specially/inherently?

That first part is correct. If you want to have your Sand Elf be a super dune runner, you can use the Outlander background, or whatever other way you want to incorporate athletics as a skill (for example).

ETA: Just wanted to let everyone know I added a psionics cantrip list link to the OP!

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 9, 2016

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

slydingdoor posted:

I don't have a stake in this situation, but I cobbled together a thing for Thri-kreen that isn't as silly as the homebrew on on the wiki.

Thri-kreen: always proficient in stealth, double proficiency to hide with camouflage (as elf Keen Senses and dwarf Stonecunning), 4hrs torpor, +1 ac (both as Warforged), interact with objects twice instead of once per turn without having to use an action (homebrew for the multi arms thing), 35ft speed (as elf), and +2 one stat +1 another, probably dex and wis (as most races).

I'd also throw in the Dual Wielding feat or even Multiattack on top of two Interactions per turn, along with Proficiency in the Chatchka and Gythka. In theory they also have some type of venom as part of the racial abilities, though that seems less crucial for the fluff of the race (and also overpowered if you're adding it on top of everything else). With these additional abilities, I'd maybe drop the inherent proficiency in stealth or double proficiency to hide.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

TychoBrahesNose posted:

I'd also throw in the Dual Wielding feat or even Multiattack on top of two Interactions per turn, along with Proficiency in the Chatchka and Gythka. In theory they also have some type of venom as part of the racial abilities, though that seems less crucial for the fluff of the race (and also overpowered if you're adding it on top of everything else). With these additional abilities, I'd maybe drop the inherent proficiency in stealth or double proficiency to hide.

Multiattack seems like a lot to me. You're literally doubling someone's DPR just as a base racial feature. Trading Dual Wielding for one or two of the things on that list may be fair though, since it's just a feat anyway. The proficiency to Chatchka and Gythka may (or may not) be irrelevant depending on whether Melchiresa converts them over, though that shouldn't be hard to do.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011

Look Around You posted:

Multiattack seems like a lot to me. You're literally doubling someone's DPR just as a base racial feature.

Where's the Level Adjustment mechanic when you really need it? Oh right, this is 5E...

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Eh, multiattack is pretty overpowered, the only other race to get a bonus action attack is a razorclaw shifter, and they only get it as a 1/rest 'rage' and get very little else so it's high value. Thri-kreen racial weapons should probably just be reskinned existing weapons, like a javelin and a glaive/reskinned twin scimitars, because there are no exotic weapons in 5e. If it's that inherent to their culture to use those weapons--as much as bows for elves and hammers for dwarves--then sure, that works. No non-variant-human race gets a feat, and that's near all humans get.

In the Monster Manual, the venom paralyzes, which is pretty overpowered. But the reason they have in the setting is a plant that's part of their diet. An adventurer outside of the clutch or pack or community or whatnot would probably not have regular access to this plant.

The stealth thing seems more representative of the race, because it's a physical characteristic: they all have carapaces that blend in with their surroundings. It's so characteristic that it's also in the 5e Monster Manual entry for them, but in that they just get advantage because monsters don't have transparent proficiency bonuses. No other race gets advantage to any skill, and conditional double proficiency is the strongest form of a skill bonus.

slydingdoor fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 11, 2016

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug

Melchiresa posted:

ETA: Just wanted to let everyone know I added a psionics cantrip list link to the OP!
As a quick clarification, how does activation of these psionic powers work? Probably need to label whether some of these are actions or bonus actions, as they aren't all uniformly clear in that regard.

As well, for my own purposes, would a druid be able to activate psionic talents in wild shape form? Druids are restricted in wild shape in the PHB as follows: You can’t cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast."

They appear to take actions and/or bonus actions, but don't explicitly have verbal, somatic, or material components to them (which is consistent with how psionics worked in 3.5e). It would probably depend on whether they are viewed as 'spells' and therefore blanket barred from use while in wild shape form, or if they are viewed as abilities that do not require hands, in which case they might fly through.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

Waador posted:

As a quick clarification, how does activation of these psionic powers work? Probably need to label whether some of these are actions or bonus actions, as they aren't all uniformly clear in that regard.

As well, for my own purposes, would a druid be able to activate psionic talents in wild shape form? Druids are restricted in wild shape in the PHB as follows: You can’t cast spells, and your ability to speak or take any action that requires hands is limited to the capabilities of your beast form. Transforming doesn’t break your concentration on a spell you’ve already cast, however, or prevent you from taking actions that are part of a spell, such as call lightning, that you’ve already cast."

They appear to take actions and/or bonus actions, but don't explicitly have verbal, somatic, or material components to them (which is consistent with how psionics worked in 3.5e). It would probably depend on whether they are viewed as 'spells' and therefore blanket barred from use while in wild shape form, or if they are viewed as abilities that do not require hands, in which case they might fly through.

I'll throw it onto the google doc (I could have sworn I did, oops), but all of the cantrips are bonus actions.

Regarding activation - flavor it up however you like, since they don't explicitly have V/S/M components. I'm sticking with the description that cantrips act as spells, though. Sorry!

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

e: This is kind of an all over the place mess, I'll repost it when I'm done tidying it.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Mar 10, 2016

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I have edited in my character background and the rough character sheet into my post earlier in the thread. Let me know if you have any questions or comments. I should be able to update for the final statistics and other missing pieces later this week, but that's the core of the idea.

TychoBrahesNose
May 24, 2011
Further questions regarding my Elven Elemental Priest that is currently in development...
I'm trying to decide between Silt and Earth as my primary element, and some more information might make my decision easier:
1. Some earlier versions focus on priests of just the four primary elements (Air, Earth, Fire, Water), while others include the paraelemental (Magma, Rain, Sun, Silt) priests too. Are all eight options available, or just the primary four?
2. If Silt is an option, will we actually be anywhere near the silt "oceans" or "lakes", or will we be pretty much on solid ground the entire time? If you don't want to give away plot details that's fine, but I don't want to build a character whose main focus turns out to be pretty useless given the environment we'll be in.
3. If Silt passes questions 1 and 2, is it nevertheless too "evil" of a domain for someone ostensibly on a mission to make the world healthy again? I figure the nomadic tribes (and especially the Elves) would have plenty of reason to seek power over the Silt, though "trying not to be killed by it" is definitely a very different motivation from "trying to spread its influence far and wide". The former is perhaps better captured by being a straight-up Earth Priest defending himself and his people by opposing the creeping growth of the Silt, rather than a priest who embraces its power as a means of limiting its influence -- though the latter could also be interesting to play, if it fits the ethos of the campaign.

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.
Just letting everyone know - I haven't quite decided the specifics about what I'll do about Thri-kreen characters, but I should have an answer for you all by the weekend.

Bug PCs for everyone!

ETA: Answers to questions I literally just saw.

TchoBrahesNose posted:

Further questions regarding my Elven Elemental Priest that is currently in development...
I'm trying to decide between Silt and Earth as my primary element, and some more information might make my decision easier:
1. Some earlier versions focus on priests of just the four primary elements (Air, Earth, Fire, Water), while others include the paraelemental (Magma, Rain, Sun, Silt) priests too. Are all eight options available, or just the primary four?
Sure, we can go with all eight.

TchoBrahesNose posted:

2. If Silt is an option, will we actually be anywhere near the silt "oceans" or "lakes", or will we be pretty much on solid ground the entire time? If you don't want to give away plot details that's fine, but I don't want to build a character whose main focus turns out to be pretty useless given the environment we'll be in.
I wasn't planning to spend a super significant time near the silt, to be really honest.

TchoBrahesNose posted:

3. If Silt passes questions 1 and 2, is it nevertheless too "evil" of a domain for someone ostensibly on a mission to make the world healthy again? I figure the nomadic tribes (and especially the Elves) would have plenty of reason to seek power over the Silt, though "trying not to be killed by it" is definitely a very different motivation from "trying to spread its influence far and wide". The former is perhaps better captured by being a straight-up Earth Priest defending himself and his people by opposing the creeping growth of the Silt, rather than a priest who embraces its power as a means of limiting its influence -- though the latter could also be interesting to play, if it fits the ethos of the campaign.

I don't terribly mind "evil" domains/characters, so long as their motivations align with the party's goals. That being said, I don't expect Silt to play a huge role in the plot. It will probably be present at some point, but I don't have plans to have it be pivotal.

Melchiresa fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 10, 2016

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Tara's early years are mostly a mystery to her, she has vague recollections of growing up among a loving family; her mother and father? Some lower officials who were absent from her life. The other presence in her life was that of an ever stalwart guardian whispering promises to her as she played alone, offering encouragement when she was afraid, and promising her to fufill her desires in exchange for a trifle.

Tara remembers making a promise of some sort in her childhood the details of which evade her thoughts, but she did know one thing; when the raiders came she alone was left unharmed. The fact that she wasn't injured was of little solace however, through a series of humiliatingly bad displays of domestic servitude and she was shipped off cheaply to the pits, a fortunate occorance in her case as fighting seemed to be the one thing she excelled at.

m

Life wasn't too bad living as a gladiator, there are plenty of good fights to be had, decent accommodations for the successful fighters, and hey! Sometimes you get to kill a prick that's been bothering you for the last few months. Tara would however find out that sometimes? You're the one who's supposed to die.

In recent years fans of gladiatorial combat have come to know and love The Malus, a brutal combatant who always put on a good show; the average member of the populace never quite knew why she never appeared again after that last battle, she had done so well. The richer attendees certainly knew about her forced retirement however, Tara had been told she was to take a fall, something she would normally have no problem with, but after learning who her opponent was couldn't bear the thought of it.

Three days prior to her scheduled fight Tara began to raise a fuss, The Crimson Blade, as her opponent was known in the arena, was known to finish off all of his opponents regardless of the stated lethality of the current fight. Tara made it very clear that she would not go down quietly, her owners in turn made sure she would; Tara's tongue was removed to ensure her silence. There was a solid assumption made that Tara as, what they assumed was, an illiterate slave wouldn't be able to tell anyone of what had happened and in any case there was unlikely to be anyone who cared.

Come the day of the battle Tara put on a good show as she always did, her opponent not suspicious in the least at he was expecting her showmanship to stay in the forefront, a quick flurry of blows by The Crimson Blade deftly tossing Tara's weapon to the side and setting himself up for the finishing blow. What he hadn't been expecting was for Tara's shield to smash his nose in, a quick yank of her arm and Tara thrust forward with one of The Crimson Blade's daggers into his throat.

Leaving the arena to the applause of the crowds, a grim smile across her face, Tara was quickly apprehended and brought to her cell, all of the amenities she had earned were quickly stripped from the room and her she was locked inside. Well aware of what denying her masters their wishes would mean for her, Tara began to plot her escape.

Two days into her confinement a decision had been made to dispose of Tara. Expecting the worst for her disobedience she sat meekly in the corner of her emptied chamber awaiting the arrival of the guards. Tara almost laughed when her escort arrived, a single man in light armor; some poncy noble who'd likely bribed his way there to be the one with the honor of bringing The Malus to the execution stand.

The man hadn't been expecting Tara to ram the broken crystalline door knob of her chambers off into his face, but what was done was done. Rifling through the man's corpse Tara relieved him of his sizable coin purse and burst off at a sprint through the corridors, never stopping until she had reached the limits of the city.

Using the decent sum of coin she had stolen from the dead noble, Tara managed to bribe her way into a merchant's caravan despite the news of her disgrace. She traveled at first with the group with a near sense of relief for a time, but paranoia dug its hooks in deeply and before long she took flight again, splitting off on her own to avoid the obvious betrayal that might come from someone in the caravan plotting to give her up for a bounty.

It has been nearly a year since Tara's original escape and she continues to travel bewildered that no one has caught her yet. At her last stop rumors began to flow as she handed in a bundle of halfling scalps for bounty; a man name Jihae was claiming to be the cleric of a "god", Tara joined the group in their amusement for a spell before retreating back to her belongings. She knew there had been gods ages ago who had all died, but what if that weren't the case? She had been preternaturally lucky to escape the notice of slavers and bounty hunters, or perhaps she just overestimated her own notoriety.

Tara couldn't help herself; the merest inkling of faith had been established and she would see it through to the end. Gathering her goods and replenishing her stock where she could, Tara took off to find this "Jihae" and would know one way or another if something truly could be coaxed back into looking over the people of Athas.

pre:
Spreadsheet Character Sheet +Level Plan
Name:            Tara "The Malus" Gessart
Race:            Human (Variant)
Class:           Fighter (1)
Alignment:       Mad Max
Ability:         Str: 14 Dex: 9 Con: 13 Int: 13 Wis: 8 Cha: 15   
Modifiers:       Racial: +1 Con +1 Cha 
                 Feat:   +1 Str
Ability+Mods:    Str: 15 Dex: 9 Con: 14 Int: 13 Wis: 8 Cha: 16   
Height:          6'0"
Weight:          160lbs [280 with carried gear]
Proficiency:     +2

Skills
 Race-           Arcana [+3]
 Class-          Intimidation [+5] + Athletics [+4]
 Background-     Performance [+5] + Deception [+5]

Proficiency
 Weapons-        Simple + Martial
 Armor-          All armor + Shields
 Saves-          Strength + Constitution
 Languages-      Elven(Racial) + Halfling (Background)                          
 Tools-          Land Vehicles(Background)

Feats
 Racial-         Heavy Armor Master   

Increase Strength by 1 to a cap of 20
 Reduce non-magic weapon damage by 3.

Bonus-          Mounted Combatant

Advantage on Melee attacks against creatures smaller than mount.
 Can redirect attacks against mount to self.
 Mount takes half damage on failed dex saves and no damage on success.

Class Features
 Fighter 1-      Second Wind- Heal 1d10+fighter level per short rest.
 Fighter 1-      Fighting Style: Close Quarters Shooter

No disadvantage on ranged attacks from within 5' of target.
 Ignore half and three quarter cover against targets within 30'
 +1 bonus to ranged attack rolls

Background:      Gladiator(Custom)

Personality-    I never spoke much before my captivity, 
                 but now I communicate primarily in grunts or gestures.

Personality-    I'm rather slow to warm up to others,  being made to fight 
                 to the death with everyone in your social circle will do that to you.

Ideal-          In life as in war, the stronger force wins.

Bond-           Something has been watching over me since I was a child, 
                 and I intend on finding out what.

Flaw-           I would do anything to prevent my recapture.

Feature-        Bad Reputation 

No matter where you go, people are afraid of you due to your reputation. 
When you are in a civilized settlement, you can get away with minor criminal 
offenses, such as refusing to pay for food at a tavern or breaking down doors 
at a local shop, since most people will not report your activity to the authorities.	

Spells	
[Psionic] 
Cantrips-        Project Thoughts
[Warlock
[Wizard]

Inventory
 Starting Coin:  200gp[Fighter Maxed]
 Coin:           11.4gp
 On Person:      120/225lbs    
 Weapon:         Longsword [d20+4, 1d8+2 slashing] 15gp, 3lbs
 Armor:          Bonemail [16ac disadvantage to stealth] 75gp, 55lbs
 Offhand:        Shield [+2 ac] 10gp, 6lbs

Backpack:       [Explorer's Pack] 10gp 5lb
                 Bedroll 7lb, Messkit 1lb, Tinderbox 1lb, 10x 
                 Torch 10lb, Waterskin 5lb, 50' rope 10lb
                 Healer's Kit 5gp, 3lb, 
                 Signal Whistle .05gp
                 5x chalk .05gp, 
                 Arcane Focus 10gp, 1lb
                 Grappling Hook 2gp, 4lb
                 Clothes (Travelers) 2gp, 4lbs
                 Crystal Door Knob Trinket

Cart:           1660/2100lb [With Tara on Cart] Pulled by MuleErdlu 8gp
                 Cart 15gp, 200lbs
                 30 days Feed 1.5gp, 300lbs
                 2 x 40 gallon barrel 4gp, 140lb
                 80 gallons water 16gp, 680lbs
                 10 rations from explorer's kit 20lbs
                 30 additional days rations 15gp, 60lbs

Mechanics Chat:
Going to be playing a defensively oriented fiend pact warlock who takes a few levels of wizard along the way to dip into necromancy focus so I can keep myself rolling in thp and light healing. Fighter at level one to unlock armor and a fighting style.

I imagine as Tara will be coming into her casting as being a person capable of only making guttural sounds with her mouth that her spell casting will be much more unpleasant sounding than a proper wizard chant :v:.

Tara is going full on warlock without re-flavoring, she made a pact with one of the stowaway devils hidden in Athas in her childhood and sold her soul to the thing for some faint measure of power that she'll come into during play. In character I intend on playing up the fact that she only vaguely remembers the devil from her childhood and leaving he mind naively open to the fact that this "God" Jihae is going on about might be watching over her/the group in some way.

Not sure if we're going to be seriously tracking weight/water use, but in case we are there's all that information above. I don't know what water cost would be like, but I left myself a bit of cash to fill up my traveling barrels if we do need to spend for it and can shuffle my items around if I need more gold for it.

Thread Posts

Tara "The Malus" Gessart
HP: 12/12 AC: 18 Hero Points: 2/2 HD: 1d10(+2 con)

The post goes here.

Spells
Initiative: -1 Passive Perception: 9
Spell Save: DC 13 Spell Attack(Melee/Ranged): +5/+6
Weapon Attack: Longsword- 1d20+4 for 1d8+2 slashing
Cantrips: Project Thoughts
Class: Second Wind(1d10+1 Healing as a bonus action, short rest recharge)
Effects: Heavy Armor: Disadvantage on stealth checks.
H.A.M: Reduce non-magical bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing weapon damage by 3
Mounted Combatant: Can re-target attacks against mount to self. Mount has evasion.

quote:

The OOC goes here.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 18, 2016

Waador
Sep 11, 2001

Smashin' down the light.
Pillbug
I am working on a few draft backgrounds, modified from the core PHB to better fit the setting. Can you let me know your thoughts on these ones, in terms of whether you think they might work, or if you'd prefer any changes? Haven't really picked one as yet but just trying to gauge what the options might be.

Option #1 posted:

Template Source: Shelter of the Faithful (PHB pg. 127)
Background: Ruathar
Also known as "elf-friend" or "star-friend," a ruathar is a person of some other race who has earned the special friendship of the elven folk. While many individuals who render the elf people some notable service are known as elf-friends, a ruathar is truly blessed - the recipient of a powerful magical ritual that infuses them with the real and lasting blessing of the elf race. The elves extend the invitation to become ruathars to very few individuals indeed, but those so honored have a home among the elf people for the rest of their days if they so desire.

Feature: Word of Friendship
You learn a short magical phrase that identifies you as a ruathar. While anyone can learn to mouth the words of the phrase, only ruathars are taught the magical key that makes the phrase more than just a few words in Elven. This is a sonic, language-dependent effect. The word of friendship does not influence the hearer's mind in any way, but all elves know that only ruathars are taught it. Elves addressed in such a fashion generally begin with an attitude of friendly or helpful toward you, unless you are obviously engaged in an evil act.

Option #2 posted:

Template Source: Urchin (PHB pg. 141)
Background: Wasteland Soul
You were raised by wild animals throughout your childhood, and taken in by a tribe of elven nomads during your adolescence. The wasteland is all that you have ever known, and reading the sands has become second-nature to you as a result. Your unique perspective on the wasteland allows you to traverse and interact with it in a manner foreign to those who learned its ways with the safety of a walled city to shield them from its harshest realities.

Feature: City Wasteland Secrets
You know the secret patterns and flow to cities the wasteland and can find passages through the urban desert sprawl that others would miss.
When you are not in combat, you (and companions you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city wasteland twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Option #3 posted:

Background: Feral Child
As a result of being raised by wild animals, you have learned to use your five senses to survive in a manner utterly foreign to those who wall themselves off from the world.

Feature: Scent Recall
Your sense of smell was finely tuned during your years in the wild. You can discern and recognize particularly subtle differences between scents, and can identify familiar odors just as humans do familiar sights.

A creature with this ability can follow tracks by smell, and is able to track its prey when following a trail by sight and sound alone might otherwise be impossible. Creatures tracking by scent ignore the effects of surface conditions and poor visibility. Water, particularly running water, ruins a trail for air-breathing creatures. Water-breathing creatures that have the scent ability, however, can use it in the water easily.

In either case based on the context of the background (raised by wolves, trained by elves), it would grant the following:
[2] Skill Proficiencies: Stealth, Survival
[1] Language Proficiencies: Elven
[1] Tool Proficiencies: ???

Might swap the tool for a second language, haven't really decided yet, admittedly. I likely have one question on that, being what tool kit would be used to make scale/shell armor? I.e. a shell breastplate or scale half-plate? Is that leatherworker's tools, or is that smith's tools?

As well, draft statistic block is below. Will insert it into the final sheet later this weekend.
pre:
STR		 8 (-1) [ 8 base]		[0]		INT		10 (--)	[10 base]		[2]
DEX		14 (+2)	[14 base]		[7]		WIS		16 (+3)	[15 base + 1 racial]	[9]
CON		16 (+3)	[14 base + 2 racial]	[7]		CHA		10 (--)	[10 base]		[2]
Additionally, it appears my starting gear will be as follows:
pre:
+80  gp = Starting Gold (druid maximum, 2d4 x10 gp)
-10  gp = Hide armor (mekillot hide)			 12    lbs.
-10  gp = Shield (hardened mekillot leather)		  6    lbs.
- .5 gp = Sling (x4) and sling bullets (x50)		  3.75 lbs.
- 1  gp = Druidic totem					  -    lbs.

- 2  gp = Backpack (30 lb. capacity)			  5    lbs.
- .5 gp = > Flask (x25) [25 pints / 3.12 gallons]	 25    lbs.
- 5  gp = > Leatherworker's tools			  5    lbs.

-25  gp = Mastiff (Monster Manual pg. 332)
-25  gp = Mastiff (Monster Manual pg. 332)
---
= 1  gp remaining = my lucky ceramic piece

Waador fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melchiresa
Jun 21, 2006

Nice guy.
Tries hard.
Loves hot dogs The Game.

For your backgrounds - I'm torn between 2 or 3! 3 makes me think of the little feral kid from Thunderdome :3:

As far as scale/shell armor, I'll go with leatherworker's tools.

And your Mastiff is most definitely welcome in this party :kimchi:

• Locked thread