Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
obviously everything is determined, but because the determination is so complicated and essentially impossible to know, functionally it isn't determined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

poopbutt

but enough about keane

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I agree with keane

I am only posting though to subscribe to the thread since it's easier to do it through SALR than activating javascript and then reloading the page and then clicking the star

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I am not happy. my stomach hurts but I am also about to go for a run and I lost my headband so my forehead is going to get cold.

however I found my rosary (I lost it when I moved, or so I thought), so tonight I will pray with it, so I have that to which I will look forward.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Max posted:

What are the beads made out of?

dark wood, and the crucifix is thin and silver. it was given to me by one of my best friends from high school during high school after she returned from a trip to rome (it is blessed by Papa Benny himself).

ok I am putting my shoes on and walking out the door talk to you cool cats and dogs later!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

ok I am putting my shoes on and walking out the door talk to you cool cats and dogs later!

gently caress me.

gently caress me.

oh my god gently caress me.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

gently caress me.

gently caress me.

oh my god gently caress me.

hello ok so I had two 1/2 cups of coffee today waiting for my scooter to get fixed and 2 1/2 cups less than that of water, and so when I went running today I nearly passed out from dehydration. whoops!! I then took a shower and immediately went to pub trivia with my friends (4th place!), and now I am back home and ready for chill hanging out.

I also had two (2) pints of beer before my food came woo (the food was a hazlenut veggie burger with tomato jam, I get it every week and part of me wants to try something else but it's seriously so good)

also ##extend

also ##lovevote cckeane, ##lovevote bottleknight, ##lovevote asiina, ##lovevote quidnose :3:, ##lovevote meinberg, and though he's not in the game, ##lovevote ixtlilton for holding me accountable for running today (even if in practice I died irl for the second day in a row)

also storytime: during pub trivia there's lightning rounds where you come up to the quizmaster and whoever can write the answer to his question first wins a $5 coupon for dinner. I am the representative for my team who does these questions, and having done it every week for months now I've come to recognize most of the regulars. (one of them is actually a friend's ex-boyfriend from college [the same friend who got me the rosary!], which is especially weird since we're on the wrong coast. I did a massive double take when I saw him wearing a baseball cap from my alma mater.)

Anyway, there is this one regular - we will call her Cathy - the night I first recognized her from previous weeks was the night she got all six lightning rounds in a row, a few times beating me by a split second. she was super snotty about it too! From then on she was my Rival; I'd see her every week and ostensibly we did the lightning rounds for the coupons, but in truth it became about one-upping each other, with raspberries for the loser.

but as familiarity often does, we got to talking and sharing stories, learning more about each other, where we're from, what we do. I met the rest of her team (her boyfriend is from my home state!) and she met the rest of mine. eventually the rivalry softened to playful competition, and a few weeks ago we started an "intelligence exchange" where we each trade for an answer the other didn't know. finally the trading turned into full sharing of answers, and as of tonight we have agreed to merge our two teams and become unstoppable trivia juggernauts.

new friend get!

:beerpal:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

also ##extend

apparently there were rules to extending

##extend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X11n9UewhYg

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Quidnose posted:

:siren: A BOON HAS APPEARED :siren:

Between now and 12AM PST we have entered the funk zone!

If six videos deemed to be funky fresh are submitted before 12AM, a second boon shall appear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXv37PFcAQ

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

my family's first dog was a lab named Flo, and the second was a retriever named Rosie. we got both dogs either before I was born or very shortly after, and they died when I was still too young to understand why.

But the third was a bichon named Brigette. We got her when I was 11 when she was something like a week old. She very quickly became as much a part of the family as anyone else. She was fussy and neurotic and would bark for hours when we all left the house. she had a really tiny trachea so she would often get so excited she would get out of breath and hack and cough. She peed and pooped in the house more regularly than she should have (we only left her alone in the house for about 4 hours in the middle of the day and yet). she broke her leg when she was very young and had to have staples put on her thigh to help it heal, and so she learned how to pee by lifting up her leg (which confused man and dog alike). we never brushed her so her hair would form these thick white mats. when I went off to college she was very sad, but whenever I'd come home she would be so happy she'd literally pee herself (the first time this happened I wasn't expecting it, so it was all over my arms and chest). she would do this thing where, if I ever had the door to my room closed, she'd run up and scratch and bark at it. I'd open my door and she'd rush in, circle the floor a few times, then jump onto my bed. She'd lie there for a few minutes, then get down and leave, but if I ever closed the door again she'd repeat the process. she occasionally slept on my bed, but she didn't like being hugged, so always at the foot.

she was my best friend for a decade.

she had some kind of sudden heart failure at 10 years old and passed away. it was a week before my college graduation. it was very rude.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Quidnose posted:

NEW FRIEND GETS ARE LIVE
the only mafia person I have met irl, indeed the only one I had any desire to meet at all, was Captain Charles Tiberius Keane.

People often wonder why I am so neurotic about my personal identity with internet people, and why I make up elaborate (and often contradictory) personas to avoid piecing together a picture of who I am. Partially it's because I think it's funny, and partially it's because I like seeing how information travels through communities and how certain ideas ebb and flow (for instance most people use "she" for me these days, which normally it would last a few months before "he" comes back in vogue but "she" has sustained itself for a while now, which is interesting).

But the main reason is because I was once part of another internet community, during my tumultuous adolescence, and I got really intensely close to them. I met them (online) before I had fully come out of my shell socially, and for a while they were essentially my only friends (and my closest ones for even longer than that). I would come home from school and immediately log onto IRC (if I hadn't let my computer idle all day anyway!). I would stay up until the wee AM hours just sitting in front of my computer talking to them, neglecting homework, real life friends, my own family. the community was large enough and there were enough of them in enough places across the world that at any hour of the day there'd always be a few new people to talk to, and I didn't want to ever sign off because they were my only friends, why would I want to leave them?

It was super unhealthy, and being a basement dwelling shut-in made the few relationships I did make irl that much harder to sustain. what made it even worse though was how many of them were also broken, toxic people (many of them in their 20s and 30s). Probably the worst was a faux-literati and child-hungry pedophile who had a fascination for me and my internet S/O (we were like 13 or 14 at the time). he was a real piece of work.

I had a really nasty nervous breakdown my junior year of high school, and a huge part of it was realizing how totally messed up this lifestyle was for almost every aspect of my life and how it was destroying me from the inside out. being an emotional and broken teenager I lashed out at them, as if it was their faults, and they very reasonably lashed back, and I very angrily ragequit from the entire community and unplugged myself from the internet for a few months. I began the process of slowly and tedious rebuilding my entire life from the ground up, crawling and clawing myself out of the pit I had dug for myself, inch by painful inch. by the end of senior year I was finally at a good place emotionally, mentally, socially, academically, and spiritually, and I graduated high school vowing to never become part of an internet community ever again.

:v:

many of you seem great. don't get me wrong! you seem like totally swell people who aren't child-hungry pedophiles or emotionally-manipulative monsters. honest.

But CCKeane is just something else.

He is such a genuinely kind human being; I honestly can't recall him ever saying anything bad about anyone in our community (who didn't have it coming). He has a really solid head on his shoulders, too: he used to work for a place that was (not even technically) breaking the law, and he agonized over what to do about it. IIRC in the end he quit, got a new job, and anonymously reported his old employers to the (FBI?). It was really flipping noble. And he's so funny! He played in some game recently where he was vanilla town but pretended to be a spooky ghost the entire time, never breaking character, and I was just absolutely dying irl. And I was the mod!!! He is unambiguously my favorite person in this community of ours, and a few years ago, when I was visiting friends in NYC, he offered to hang out with me for an evening. I want to say I deliberated for a long time, debating whether it was worth bringing internet people back into my heart by having them actually meet me, see me, speak with me. I want to say that.

But I didn't! I didn't even hesitate. "Yes, definitely, I would love to meet with you."

We got pizza and beer and cocktails. He is everything in real life he is online, perhaps even better. So many people have met him and can testify to how truly awesome he is. He is definitely the best of us, living proof that wholly wonderful human being exist in the world and can excel in it.

In conclusion, I knew some hosed up people in my youth and they messed me the heck up for years to come. But Keane? Well, Keane, he's not just a piece of work.

He's a work of art.

:vapes:

...or so I want you to believe. vOv

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

Aww, Ecco's story is so nice and thoughtful, and mine is just about wanting to troll poor poke.

I have been bested!

I liked yours the most so far! I hope it wins!!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

I was going to be LITERALLY GRUMPY IRL if nobody posted that one.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

EccoRaven posted:

however I found my rosary (I lost it when I moved, or so I thought), so tonight I will pray with it, so I have that to which I will look forward.
this has been a gamechanger for my prayer life, I am genuinely very happy I found it. I initially would count on the joints of my fingers but that's super boring and awkward, and there is something truly elegant and meditative about actual beads.

one final story from ecco t. raven for tonight!

so every night before going to bed I pray the compline, a series of catholic prayers which are part of the larger Liturgy of the Hours (also called the Divine Office). They were first developed in the 4th century AD by hermits and they have been a hallmark of the faithful ever since. I got into the habit of praying the hours after spending a time living and working with Franciscan monks and nuns, since they (as well as priests and deacons) are obligated to pray the major hours every day.

The compline is my favorite hour because the final benediction is "may the all-powerful Lord grant us a restful night and a peaceful death," which is pretty hardcore (though to be fair the Latin translates better as "perfect end," which is still quite nice). After the benediction the last thing you do is recite a Marian antiphon; I've been alternating each night between Ave Maria and Salve Regina, which is okay, but I always wanted to incorporate the best Marian prayer-style - the rosary - into that system. And now I finally can! It is really neat.

When you pray the rosary you're supposed to meditate on the mysteries of the Gospel, like the Nativity or the Crucifixion, but I really don't. It's pretty selfish but I usually think about myself. I review my day, the things I had said and done, the things I didn't say or didn't do. I think about the times when I felt like the right thing to do was clear but I couldn't get myself to do it through laziness or selfishness or envy; the times I snapped at people or ignored them for no reason other than because I was irritable or frustrated at something else; the times I've failed to see Christ in strangers, in the homeless, even in my friends and family. Recently I've also been praying for a friend who especially needs it.

It's a very peaceful and humbling experience, but until today it's mostly been a "if I have the time/motivation" thing. finding my beads after having them missing for a year is really just marvelous and I am excited to see what new depths of catholic guilt I can bring myself to in the coming days and weeks.

:catholic:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I lied one more post: I just realized my long friendship story above is TOTALLY MOOT since cckeane is an actual player in this game HAHA WHOOPS WELP GOOD WORK ASIINA YOU WIN

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

chaoslord posted:

Good morning :sun:

good morning mr. slord how are you!

:guitar:

anon narco I have two things for you, a comment and a question, which would you like first?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
##hatevote betrayer

:getout:

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I don't believe you. If you're really Ben Franklin, you should know some really easy questions about yourself right?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

I drink quite a lot, but probably, yes.

ok would you like some chocolate before we begin?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

What a treat! However I am sure that our brave fighting men would appreciate it far more, as it is unlikely to spoil.

interesting!

mr. franklin are you nearsighted or farsighted?

chaoslord posted:

I am doing well, thanks. The wife and I are not moving to Chicago after all and then a job offer I am very interested in came my way so everything is coming up chaoslord right now. How are you?

chicago is a good town! one of my personas lives there, I assume he and/or she enjoys it muchly, though you'll need the thickest, warmest coast you can afford.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

I'm both nearsighted and farsighted! As such I invented the bifocals to assist me in my daily duties!

HMMMMMM

Who is the king of Prussia?

The King of Austria?

The King of Hungary?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

During what time period, friend? I certainly don't know who today's King of Austria is.

How about the year you spent the summer in Philadelphia at a certain convention!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Ecco I am back and will take your comment and question in that order

okay!

comment:

I hope you are having a lovely day!

question:

are you having a lovely day?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

The King of Prussia is Fredrick William the second!

The ruler of Hungary and Austria is Joseph the second, the holy Roman emperor!

who's the king of england??!!

BottleKnight posted:

Ecco I'm very glad you came out of your shell to write such a lovely story.

raaaaah I hate all of you you are all smelly dorks who eat poop and whose faces are butts and your words are poop and you are so hungry for poop you eat your own words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
okay it checks out.

one final question though sir, do you remember what you said to James Madison when you were briskly walking to the Convention on July 4th, 1787?

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

No I was drunk.

FRAUD!!

My friends, I have finally done it. I have exposed this man as the fraud he is!

He is not the real Benjamin Franklin!
  • On the fourth of July, 1787, the convention began a three day break for the holiday.
  • Ben Franklin was the oldest member of the convention at 81, and had to be wheeled in each day as he was infirm.
  • On 4th July he attended a church service, proposed by Edmund Randolph as a compromise for Franklin who wanted daily prayers at the convention!

But your commitment to Mr. Franklin is commendable. He was an American hero and patriot, and there is no better man to emulate than that.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I dunno I am not a scholar, I assume some a lot and others a little.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
yessssssss

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I think the best way to decide if we'd rather play a game or hang out is to vote out the only person who doesn't want to hang out.

pretty easy if you ask me.

Doktor Per posted:

I dyed my hair purple today and people stopped complimenting my hair immediately :(

time to dye it back!!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
##hang out

dumb.

vote out betrayer before he does more dumb things in the future i m o

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I do not understand these references.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

Elvis has left the building.

if you wrote this yourself I'd be tickled pink

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
now don't be mum's the word, spill the beans!

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

Curiosity killed that cat Ecco, are you sure you want to hear it straight from the horse's mouth?

I think I'm picking up what you're putting down.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

BottleKnight posted:

While I was initially looking at an idiom list
way to screw the pooch at the eleventh hour. :(

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'm going to saw some logs, we'll table this for now.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
##hatevote betrayer

##vote betrayer

##lovevote asiina

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
let's do as a town what the mod is unwilling or unable to do.

let's win one for the gipper.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
let's test that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hey betrayer vote for yourself and let's see if public executions are a mechanic in this game. if we wind up voting you out of the game successfully I promise to consider treating this as a mafia game in the future.

• Locked thread