Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PirVtiJuvDs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIp56pSrTGE

https://www.battlerite.com/

Announced today after a few days of build up with an ARG, the Bloodline Champions 2 sequel, Battlerite, has been announced. We don't really know anything about it, except for the fact that Ravener, Igniter, Ranid Assassin, and Spearmaster have all gotten face-lifts and are back for round 2.

Presumably this is an attempt to cull the medallions/gems/talents/etc that made their way into the game in an attempt to make more money for Funcom, but again, no way to know for sure until more details come out. For now, sign up for the beta, sit back, and day dream about BLC 2 getting everything the first game deserved without Funcom at the wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Bloodline Champions is dead

Long live Bloodline Champions

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Down for this.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

oops messed up thread tag, someone fix it

Also, more details people have found from observing the abilities listed on the website:

Classes are down to 6 abilities, from 7. EX abilities might be gone? Trances still exist. Ultimates are more powerful.

The energy orb still appears on the arena map, so that still exists, but all the minor ways to consume energy may be gone. Hopefully EX abilities make it, but I couldn't give less of a poo poo about medallions.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

The goat Simulator guys are helping fund this

https://twitter.com/AntonWestbergh/status/707200292983611392

Additionally,

quote:

"We're not sharing the sum [of the investment from Coffee Stain]. But the game has a total budget of 20 million SEK [~2.3 million USD], including marketing for the launch later this year" says Richard Frisegård, CEO of Stunlock Studios with 25 employees in Skövde.

Launch later this year means the beta will probably start sooner rather than later!

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Cool, it seemed like they just gave up on actually caring about the game despite bringing it back

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

koolkal posted:

Cool, it seemed like they just gave up on actually caring about the game despite bringing it back

What indicates this to you?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

koolkal posted:

if you're talking about blc 1, the game was pretty hosed from all the forced changes to give it the league of legends frito model with talents, runes, gems, etc. when they 'brought it back' they just said they'd be hosting it and giving it minimal support since they were working on a new title. apparently, this is it

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I played this in starcraft 2 custom maps, it sucked balls. It was like future dota 2 that tried to be cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

of course it sucked, you played it in starcraft 2 custom maps

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
COOL

quote:

including marketing

THANK CHRIST

I hope this turns out well.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I played this in starcraft 2 custom maps, it sucked balls. It was like future dota 2 that tried to be cool.

nice. i tried diablo 2 in starcraft 2 custom maps as well as transformers adn neither one seemed to work well in the engine??

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Holy poo poo I'm so excited for this. BLC is an incredible game, really hope this is as good + catches on.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
BLC loving owned. It's a shame it never really did good.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh cool, BC was one of, like, two MOBAlikes I could stand.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

OK I actually looked at the media and I've changed my mind. The original game had a cool, tribal look about it, this is just imitating that exaggerated, TF2-lite that Overwatch, Battleborn, etc are going for.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mordja posted:

BLC was basically nothing at all like a DotA game, though.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the plus side, people are playing BLC again because of the announcement so it doesn't take an hour to find a match anymore :yayclod:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
If you want to play blc join the battlerite discord chat.

I signed up for the beta on day 1. I loved blc a lot, sad that they're making ultimates more impactful and with fewer abilities, but I'm sure I'll still play it a ton of it controls the same and plays as fast as blc did. Here's hoping for 3v3

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
BLC pre-F2P-izing was loving fantastic and it's a shame it didn't catch on. I don't know how they can make money off it, but I hope this go-around works out for them.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

K8.0 posted:

BLC pre-F2P-izing was loving fantastic and it's a shame it didn't catch on.

They really should have released it on Steam before going full League of Legends on it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

K8.0 posted:

BLC pre-F2P-izing was loving fantastic and it's a shame it didn't catch on. I don't know how they can make money off it, but I hope this go-around works out for them.

My guess is they'll go the Dota 2 route, characters are free but the cosmetic poo poo is what you pay for. That seems like the stuff most people prefer over the League model where any new character is overpowered and only available to people who shelled the money to buy it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unfunny Poster posted:

My guess is they'll go the Dota 2 route, characters are free but the cosmetic poo poo is what you pay for. That seems like the stuff most people prefer over the League model where any new character is overpowered and only available to people who shelled the money to buy it.
tbh it feels like most new league champs release undertuned, not overtuned

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

tbh it feels like most new league champs release undertuned, not overtuned

I don't play League so maybe, but I remember that being an issue people complained about a lot about that model.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
GDC started and... well, not much happened. They have a booth for press to play but there wasn't any stream or anything. One guy confirmed that there's an Astronomer character though, so that's pretty neat if you like bad garbage heroes

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
haha, I said that just as some info drops in discord:

8 bloodlines in alpha build, based off BLC characters:

Melee (wasn't clear which were tanks): Ravener, Spearmaster, Vanguard, Ranid
Ranged: Igniter, Gunner
Healer: Astronomer, Probably Alchemist but maybe Dryad

Main competitive mode is 2v2, no 3v3 currently.

EX moves are confirmed

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 17, 2016

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

oh man i like 5/8 of those. thats pretty cool. (ranid spearmaster and astro are meh).

Metal Warden please ;_;

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Please come back to me, psychopomp. :qq:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also apparently there are mounts (????). This doesn't make a lot of sense to me since they're emphasizing 2v2 (there isn't even 3v3 in the alpha) and they'd have to make the maps big to make mounts a thing at all, especially since they can't be used in combat. Seems like a monetization option first and foremost but we'll see

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Munsun posted:

Please come back to me, psychopomp. :qq:

her too. and sentinel. and harbinger. and blood priest. but not thorn or nomad, thanks.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Also apparently there are mounts (????). This doesn't make a lot of sense to me since they're emphasizing 2v2 (there isn't even 3v3 in the alpha) and they'd have to make the maps big to make mounts a thing at all, especially since they can't be used in combat. Seems like a monetization option first and foremost but we'll see

mounts like HotS? that's pretty strange. Are they trying to push the objective-based modes that were 5v5 in the original? I can see them just putting 2v2 in the alpha because it's just supposed to be a taste / demonstration, but yea...

is there any gameplay footage anywhere? dying to see how it looks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

burger time posted:

mounts like HotS? that's pretty strange. Are they trying to push the objective-based modes that were 5v5 in the original? I can see them just putting 2v2 in the alpha because it's just supposed to be a taste / demonstration, but yea...

is there any gameplay footage anywhere? dying to see how it looks.

Unknown on both counts. i think they want 2v2 to be the primary (perhaps only at first, even in retail) format for a few reasons, but the biggest is probably splitting the queue. Someone mentioned in discord that BLC had 3 servers, US West, US East, and EU. For most of the game's life it never had more than 600-800 players online, and that's across servers. EU had more people generally ~2:1, so that's about 400-500 players in EU at a time during the game's best days, and that was split over two queues, with lots of those players already in matches or idling/afk. This made matchmaking a nightmare in a game where you had such huge skill discrepancies.

I definitely would prefer 3v3 but not splitting the queue and making it easier to just grab a friend and go are both issues I'm sure they're considering. I assume healers will also be less healer-y in that case since healers in 2v2 could easily lead to continuous overtimes

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

burger time posted:

her too. and sentinel. and harbinger. and blood priest. but not thorn or nomad, thanks.

I'll accept the death of thorn if they bring back guardian the pinball wizard.

3v3 definitely felt like the "right" size for BLC, I never played 2v2 if I had a choice. One hopes that the new game has some changes to the mechanics that make 2v2 more palatable.

Oh no, now that I put both of those things in the same post, I realize you can't have guardian pinballing around unless she has two teammates. Oh no :ohdear:

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 17, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Piping hot Screenshot

Pictured left to right: Alchemist, Astro, Vanguard (PEEP THAT BLOCK MECHANIC WE DRYAD NOW), Gunner

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Looks pretty gross, but BLC was never much of a looker to begin with.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's also literal alpha footage, I'd take it more as a general design aesthetic than a finished image. But yeah BLC was already fairly dated graphically when it came out even if the style itself was super cool. Made it easy to get those sweet, sweet fps tho

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFVNvw2uxs8

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

Piping hot Screenshot

Pictured left to right: Alchemist, Astro, Vanguard (PEEP THAT BLOCK MECHANIC WE DRYAD NOW), Gunner

I can dig it.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

wait so it's the same premise and designs but the engine is being rebuilt?

whatever i really loved this game and will totally play it more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

cams posted:

wait so it's the same premise and designs but the engine is being rebuilt?

whatever i really loved this game and will totally play it more

there's some more major changes (6 abilities instead of 7, and a purge of medallions/traits [i hope] being the biggest ones I feel) but mostly yes. certainly the same design direction of no-rng fast combat. you can see the current speed of play in the background of that interview video if you look hard enough, and it seems similarly paced as well.

mostly I think they just wanted to rebrand and get that sweet, sweet goat simulator capital flowing

• Locked thread