Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

DracoArgentum posted:

From the research I've done it seems lake Titicaca is pretty out of the way and not worth more than a day, but it's easily paired with Colca canyon and the Nazca lines.

Unfortunately for planning, the times that Google gives to drive between places is an incredible underestimate on time, at least if you're taking buses. Like I see Google Maps says Cusco–Nasca is a 11.5 hour drive. You won't get there in less than 15 unless your bus driver goes through two grams of coke while he's driving (he might).

Titicaca, Colca Canyon, and Cusco are only vaguely in the same vicinity as each other. Arequipa to Cusco is ~10 hours, Puno to Cusco is about 7 hours, and Puno to Arequipa is also around 7 hours. Nasca lines are a good 16–18 hour bus ride from Cusco. You can check the times on Cruz Del Sur's website (major Peruvian bus company). Estimate that your bus can and likely will arrive 5% to 15% late.

Since you're tight on time, there are some budget flight carriers you might look into. I flew from Cusco to Lima in November for instance, which was like $70 one-way and so much better than a 24 hour bus ride I can't even describe it. I flew with Aero Services Executive which is some sketchy rear end carrier that doesn't even have its own website as far as I can tell. It's a lot cheaper than StarPeru and I did not die, so there's my recommendation. Peru Hop / HopOnHopOff is a huge ripoff, it's almost offensive how much they charge for their routes. Flying is significantly cheaper than their near-scam-level tourist buses.

If you like good food, SPEND TIME IN LIMA. Lima is nice, it's great for 2-3 full days. Don't listen to people who tell you to not go there, they probably have never been or only went 10-15+ years ago. Stay in Miraflores district. There is so much good food, and it's so (relatively) cheap. Eat at La Mar. If you REALLY care about good food, reserve at Central ( http://centralrestaurante.com.pe/en/ ) now. Like actually literally reserver right now, it books up 3 months in advance. Expect to pay like $130 pp. Other high end restaurants are more like $25pp (like La Mar).

If you decide to go to Nasca, also check out Huacachina and you might spend a day or so in Pisco too.

Thinking about it I guess you're either committed to spending the ~10 days you have in Machu Picchu / Titicaca / Colca Canyon / Arequipa, or spending it in Machu Picchu / Cusco / Lima / Huacachina / Nasca / Pisco. I would not try to do all of those destinations in 12 days. I REALLY recommend Lima, you're already spending time in there, don't skip it. Spend at least 2 nights (inc. 1 full day) there.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread