Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

safetyStanddown posted:

Same for that awful tequila beer Occulto. Got six pack, threw one out, gave away five.

This poo poo is just ungodly. It smells like straight loving cologne. I don't even think it's actually beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I bought two six packs of Occulto, it wasn't bad.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I bought this poo poo at a discount store on a whim cause it was 99 cents and looked like cleaning fluid. It turned my poop dark blue for two days. Not even green, but like it had been painted blue inside of me

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Cage posted:

I bought two six packs of Occulto, it wasn't bad.

You don't drink Occulto because you LIKE it. What you like is holding something the police will wrestle you for.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Aztec posted:

You don't drink Occulto because you LIKE it. What you like is holding something the police will wrestle you for.

Occulto man that is the stiff coal. A real ankle drunk

om nom nom has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Jul 5, 2016

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
I think Occulto was made by someone who has never actually tasted tequila. It honestly tastes like Budweiser mixed with Kool Aid.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I don't really drink alcohol, but I like kombucha. Today I spotted a bottle of kombucha on the menu at a burger place. Think it was from "the boochery" or some stupid poo poo. It was 7% ABV, which is bizarrely high, but obviously I didn't think twice.

Tasted like kombucha...with a little bit of vodka added. Does that sound good? Because it tasted loving terrible. It was also 22 ounces, so it was a lot of terrible.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

nocal posted:

I don't really drink alcohol, but I like kombucha.

I didn't know anybody actually liked kombucha, I thought that people just drank it because of snake oil wellness.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

I didn't know anybody actually liked kombucha, I thought that people just drank it because of snake oil wellness.

Some of the flavored ones are really good imo. I especially like the kinds with chia seeds.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i love to drink hot piss and lukewarm piss, but frozen piss is for nerds and children

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
As someone who grew up in a household where kombucha was brewed regularly, I will never understand the appeal of buying bottled kombucha.
Do people just not understand wtf it is and where it comes from? I would never trust someone, much less some faceless corporation, to be like "here, drink this live fermented mushroom tea, it's totally safe."
Granted it's all probably fake, in order to comply with FDA regs, but even then, what's the point?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

safetyStanddown posted:

As someone who grew up in a household where kombucha was brewed regularly, I will never understand the appeal of buying bottled kombucha.
Do people just not understand wtf it is and where it comes from? I would never trust someone, much less some faceless corporation, to be like "here, drink this live fermented mushroom tea, it's totally safe."
Granted it's all probably fake, in order to comply with FDA regs, but even then, what's the point?

I'm pretty sure I'd trust a faceless corporation more than anyone else, because at least, in theory, they have some federal oversight and shouldn't be able to sell anything downright poisonous/harmful.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Modern Gillette razors and blades of any kind.

Just hilariously overpriced garbage from a monopoly company that tells you you need a vibrating Fusion Pro Glide with five blades and flexball technology or else you're a sissy boy. If you can't shave with a no-nonsense single blade (or maybe a double blade since they've been around for a while) razor, then you can't really shave yourself. Men had been shaving that way for millennia up to the late '90s when the Mach III came out (also the same time that gels came out which displaced creams and soaps), and then suddenly Gillette started with the whole "YOU NEED THIS BOGUS poo poo NOW FOR A BETTER SHAVE" and people have bought into that poo poo ever since, making Gillette the monopoly it is today. I will admit I used a complimentary Mach III in 1998 to try it out. Used it until the cartridges it came with ran out, then I went right back to my safety razor. Safety razors are the tits, and the blades are super cheap. Hell, even the cheap throwaway Bics are miles above what Gillette has to offer. Sometimes I like to use a Bic Sensitive razor when I'm feeling adventurous and super cheap.

Also, I think it's bogus that women's razors are the same exact make and model as the men's razor, except they're pink and sold for a dollar more. That's complete bullshit. gently caress Gillette.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

Also, I think it's bogus that women's razors are the same exact make and model as the men's razor, except they're pink and sold for a dollar more. That's complete bullshit. gently caress Gillette.

Can you not just buy the men's one?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Only reason I use them is because my mom always gives me a year's worth for Christmas. It's basically the reverse of hair gel "for men".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You Are A Elf posted:

Just hilariously overpriced garbage from a monopoly company that tells you you need a vibrating Fusion Pro Glide with five blades and flexball technology or else you're a sissy boy. If you can't shave with a no-nonsense single blade (or maybe a double blade since they've been around for a while) razor, then you can't really shave yourself. Men had been shaving that way for millennia up to the late '90s when the Mach III came out (also the same time that gels came out which displaced creams and soaps), and then suddenly Gillette started with the whole "YOU NEED THIS BOGUS poo poo NOW FOR A BETTER SHAVE" and people have bought into that poo poo ever since, making Gillette the monopoly it is today. I will admit I used a complimentary Mach III in 1998 to try it out. Used it until the cartridges it came with ran out, then I went right back to my safety razor. Safety razors are the tits, and the blades are super cheap. Hell, even the cheap throwaway Bics are miles above what Gillette has to offer. Sometimes I like to use a Bic Sensitive razor when I'm feeling adventurous and super cheap.

You call them a monopoly and then talk about their competition in the same post.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

safetyStanddown posted:

I read an article that said the only danger from kombucha consumption comes from home brewers who gently caress up the process. IIRC there are no records of people getting sick from store-bought kombucha

Either way, it's just the current health food fad. :shrug:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Spalec posted:

Can you not just buy the men's one?

I'm a dude and do buy the men's ones. I've just been with girlfriends and my sister when they buy razors, and they end up spending a dollar more for a pink or purple razor. It's horseshit.

Aphrodite posted:

You call them a monopoly and then talk about their competition in the same post.

Yeah, so? We not allowed to do that? I mentioned I use a Bic razor sometimes. That's talking competition?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

I believe the idea behind these razors is that they made shaving faster and easier, with less cups and creams and brushes. So when razor companies are arguing about a 'better shave' its in comparison to other razors designed with this in mind.

You Are A Elf posted:

Yeah, so? We not allowed to do that? I mentioned I use a Bic razor sometimes. That's talking competition?
No I believe hes saying Gilette doesnt have a 'monopoly' as you claim when in the same breath you name its competitor.

Blackchamber has a new favorite as of 03:35 on Jul 18, 2016

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Blackchamber posted:

I believe the idea behind these razors is that they made shaving faster and easier, with less cups and creams and brushes. So when razor companies are arguing about a 'better shave' its in comparison to other razors designed with this in mind.

Yeah, I'm not and can't be mad at razor companies for new innovations and ideas, and if people want to buy it, more power to them. Two blades is the most I'll do, but Mach IIIs and other triple blade razors aren't bad, either, I guess (I won't use them, though). Four and five blades is where I draw the line as snake oil, and the prices for 3/4/5 blade refills are just out-loving-rageous. It's why people online are rediscovering safety razors and soaps and creams with brushes again, and you can get a much closer shave with old stuff than new. It's much cheaper in the long run, too, and better for the environment.

Blackchamber posted:

No I believe hes saying Gilette doesnt have a 'monopoly' as you claim when in the same breath you name its competitor.

Oops. meant to say oligopoly (sorry Aphrodite), but Gillette is still eye-level and dominating on the shelves.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

I dunno man I see Schick stuff just as often as I do Gillette :shrug:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

You Are A Elf posted:

I will admit I used a complimentary Mach III in 1998 to try it out. Used it until the cartridges it came with ran out, then I went right back to my safety razor. Safety razors are the tits, and the blades are super cheap. Hell, even the cheap throwaway Bics are miles above what Gillette has to offer. Sometimes I like to use a Bic Sensitive razor when I'm feeling adventurous and super cheap.

We get it, you're a tough guy who was the first to discover how much cooler it is to use safety razors.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I never said I was a tough guy who used safety razors "before they were cool," but hey, think what you wanna think, my dude.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have owned and used a safety razor, and I have been shaved with a straight razor. Who cares? The fancy razors are more expensive, but they're also easier. You always pay for convenience, always.

After years of back and forth with different ways to shave I like me some nice canned shaving cream and a disposable four blade store brand razor. That's good enough for me. I do enjoy the whole ritual with the soap and the badger brush and stuff, but eh. Who are you to tell me I'm wrong?

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

cheerfullydrab posted:

Who are you to tell me I'm wrong?

Y'all come to the wrong neighborhood son, this is PYF

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I like the blade on top of the Gillette fusion for getting the area between my nose and mustache and, quarterly, my barely there but still noticable if you look close unibrow. I suppose I could do that with a straight razor, but I also have a full beard and just shave my upper cheeks and neck and do some various clean up/shaping once a week or so. Spending $35 for 12 cartidges every other year to fuel my fancy razor shaving habit doesn't exactly break the bank.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You need to understand that the guy is right, safety razor shaving definitely does the job and, after a heavy start-up cost, buying blades is extremely inexpensive. Also you can get blades even at your regular drugstore. I've seen them in a suburban Rite-Aid. The point is, so what? I don't need another thing to feel bad about not doing and neither does anyone else. Also, who does that guy think he is?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I once bought a straight razor. I intended to kill myself with it but then I felt better, so I sold it on craigslist for a profit instead.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Guy Mann posted:

I like the fruit ones because they're somewhat similar to fruit lambics and I really like those.

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

all this talk about razors and y'all seem to have forgotten that (among others) a rifle company makes electric razors.

that said i got a Remington 4550 years ago and the piece of poo poo never held a charge and it got glitchy which is not a useful property for a razor of any kind.

yes i know it's not the same company

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You know, you can just use regular shaving cream with a safety razor, and once you get used to using one, it's the same or faster than a multi-blade cartridge razor.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

om nom nom posted:

I like the blade on top of the Gillette fusion for getting the area between my nose and mustache and, quarterly, my barely there but still noticable if you look close unibrow. I suppose I could do that with a straight razor, but I also have a full beard and just shave my upper cheeks and neck and do some various clean up/shaping once a week or so. Spending $35 for 12 cartidges every other year to fuel my fancy razor shaving habit doesn't exactly break the bank.

Hello my shaving twin.

Wet shaving is totally overrated and it's resurgence is entirely due to pasty nerds desperate for something masculine that doesn't involve breaking a sweat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Twitch posted:

You know, you can just use regular shaving cream with a safety razor, and once you get used to using one, it's the same or faster than a multi-blade cartridge razor.

Maybe in actual razor to face time, but you're not accounting for the prep time.

A lot of those multi-blades are made for dry shaving. With a safety razor first you need to get that cream ready, get your brush, and make 18 posts on the internet about how much quicker and more efficient your razor is.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I like 3-blade razors and Gillette Fusions because they give me a great shave and don't cut the poo poo out of my face. Not sure what You Are A Elf is being such a bitchman about. :shrug:

Having said that, I normally use a Philips Norelco rotary shaver with the lotion dispenser these days. It doesn't give you as close a shave as a regular razor, but it's a hell of a lot easier and doesn't have any risk of cutting whatsoever.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

FFT posted:

i got a Remington 4550 years ago and the piece of poo poo never held a charge and it got glitchy which is not a useful property for a razor of any kind.

Same, except mine's a Braun beard trimmer. It's a 50/50 game whether or not the drat thing works even when it's plugged in.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

om nom nom posted:

I have about the same shaving routine as you. I briefly considered a safety razor but like you said, the gillete cartridges last forever if you're only trimming once or twice a week. Someone just got me a Harry's razor as a gift and so far it's just as good as the Gillette. The cartridges are way cheaper too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing about the crazy Gillette razors with 5 blades and what have you is that they give an amazing, flawless shave the first one or two times I use them, but then become dull and worse than a 1 or 2 blade throw-away razor afterwards.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Not sure what You Are A Elf is being such a bitchman about. :shrug:

Sorry about posting one of my least favorite products in the "post your least favorite products" thread, I guess :rolleyes:

No one's bitching, son. Whether you use a Fusion or Mach III or a straight razor or a beard trimmer or an electric shaver or a weed whacker or a steak knife duct taped to a oversized butt plug, I don't care. Use what you like.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

You Are A Elf posted:

You guys want an indestructible coffee maker and aren't too snooty with the coffee? Get yourself a vintage Corning Ware or Revere Ware stove-top percolator. Not only are they built to last, but there is something honestly beautiful about an old percolator sitting on the stove top watching it percolate. I've got an 8 cup (for when guests are over) and a 4 cup (for myself) Revere Ware that are both probably 60 years old and still look like new. Makes a good cup of coffee, too.

gently caress percolators, a French Press makes coffee you can drink, not super burned bitter shitsludge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jesus just grow a beard, I haven't had to deal with all that razor bullshit in years.

One time there was this Gillette promo lady on the street giving out free samples and I joked "come on, do I look like I could use one" and she was like "yeah you do." Cheeky.

(Now that I think about it, I didn't see what exactly they gave out. Surely if you hand out free razor blades on the street that's not going to end well.)

• Locked thread