Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I haven't touched a razor in like a decade. Just buy the top of the line braun electric one every couple years and you're set, no shaving cream, no beard. You don't even have to clean it, it does that for you.

Don't get one of those norelco ones with the triple head though. Those things suck rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

gently caress almost all brands of US bread. Including certain brands of pita. If I wanted cake I'd eat cake goddammit.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Skype. How has nothing been able to wholly replace this poo poo service? It can never decide whether to show contacts alphabetically or by most recent. If it is lagging (often), it obscures a 10% of the screen with an unclosable window. If it fails to open, it shows you this terrible, animated crying emoji that just annoys you more. You have to sign out, then when you select close it it says "are you sure you want to quit skype?" Naw I just want to idle on the sign out screen a few hours.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Jesus just grow a beard, I haven't had to deal with all that razor bullshit in years.
You don't shave your neck?

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Skype. You have to sign out, then when you select close it it says "are you sure you want to quit skype?" Naw I just want to idle on the sign out screen a few hours.
You can just quit in one step, but you have to do it from the system tray icon, not from anywhere within the program. It's dumb.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

KiteAuraan posted:

gently caress almost all brands of US bread. Including certain brands of pita. If I wanted cake I'd eat cake goddammit.

...and yet if you suggest to most Americans that their bread is awful and bread in name only, they get all upset and defensive.

Tofu Terry
Oct 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Skype. How has nothing been able to wholly replace this poo poo service? It can never decide whether to show contacts alphabetically or by most recent. If it is lagging (often), it obscures a 10% of the screen with an unclosable window. If it fails to open, it shows you this terrible, animated crying emoji that just annoys you more. You have to sign out, then when you select close it it says "are you sure you want to quit skype?" Naw I just want to idle on the sign out screen a few hours.

The only decent alternative to skype I've seen so far is Discord, but that's about it. Even then Discord is a little weird to figure out at first (set up more like IRC channels than private message based).

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

88h88 posted:

...and yet if you suggest to most Americans that their bread is awful and bread in name only, they get all upset and defensive.

Hey, jerk, quit insulting one of our proudest and oldest HFCS delivery systems :argh:

awesomekittens
Jan 26, 2007
oh my god dinosaur

Ytlaya posted:

The thing about the crazy Gillette razors with 5 blades and what have you is that they give an amazing, flawless shave the first one or two times I use them, but then become dull and worse than a 1 or 2 blade throw-away razor afterwards.

I think it's because a lot of what causes dullness is water corrosion. The 3-5 blade razors can be difficult to dry off after you shave so they go dull faster. If you make sure to dry off your razor blades thoroughly after you shave (sometimes I even use a blow dryer), they'll last way longer.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tiggum posted:

You don't shave your neck?

I don't know about My Lovely Horse, but I've stopped bothering with shaving a neat neckline, my natural beard growth stops right around my Adam's apple anyway, and I like to keep my beard full and bushy. I guess if you're going for a short trimmed beard, or you're some kind of mutant freak who can't grow anything other than a patchy neckbeard, you should definitely shave it.

You shouldn't really shave a razor-sharp neckline anyway, you gotta fade that poo poo. Most people carve it way too high.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 18:46 on Jul 19, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The scene from Ghostbusters were Louis Tully is hosting a party only he's talking about to maximize your shaving routine to save pennies a day.

88h88 posted:

People being incredibly snooty about how a spoonful of sugar is going to corrupt their precious bodily fluids and swearing that they can sense the toxic corn particles radiating from the plebian grocery stores is pretty insufferable, yes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I like that this thread is only five pages long and we've already got at least two distinct issues people are bickering about. Good job OP.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Murphy Brownback posted:

I haven't touched a razor in like a decade. Just buy the top of the line braun electric one every couple years and you're set, no shaving cream, no beard. You don't even have to clean it, it does that for you.

Don't get one of those norelco ones with the triple head though. Those things suck rear end.

Or just, you know, quit shaving. I just have a beard. It's pretty great. Granted the drat thing gets dirty and I have to clean it every day but y'know.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Titus Sardonicus posted:

Well, to be fair, everyone who rides a Harley spends as much on Harley merch as they do on their actual bikes.

This isn't actually true, for the record. Most Harley riders make fun of those same guys - weekenders/doctors/lawyers who are trying to not feel like they sold out to white-bread, upper middle class, missionary-sex-only existence by buying "a hawg" which they will eventually sell after it sits in their garage unridden for a year and is 2 years old with <1000 miles on it.

Those are the guys who you see decked out head to toe in black and orange and bars and shields. This is also the demographic who buys the really ridiculous Harley items - the "class ring", the cologne, etc. I can't fault Harley for making money off those dudes. If they're dumb enough to buy it, why not sell it to them?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Or just, you know, quit shaving. I just have a beard. It's pretty great. Granted the drat thing gets dirty and I have to clean it every day but y'know.

This is terrible advice for a large portion of guys out there. More often than not beards look unkempt and gross no matter how much you "groom" them. I guess if you live somewhere like Portland it's part of the uniform but telling everybody to grow one is like telling everyone to wear skinny jeans. Not everyone can pull it off without looking ridiculous.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

most of the new drinks at gas stations are loving awful these days. I keep trying trendy cool looking drinks and they taste like piss, which I'm usually into

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Harelys are loud, vibrating, oil leaking lovely bikes, so good job looking down on the " weekend riders".

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Harelys are loud, vibrating, oil leaking lovely bikes, so good job looking down on the " weekend riders".

Mine is none of that except loud. Harleys had a lovely reputation (and deservedly so) for many years. Not so much over the last 8-9. I have a 2014 I bought new and it's by far the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, and I've owned Hondas, Yamahas and even an hand-built chopper.

v :) v

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
While we're all hating on bread, I for one am not happy how every bacon roll and burger in London now comes in a bloody brioche bun. The old ways are best!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

I once bought a slap chop type mincer because I use a lot of onions in my cooking and hate chopping them.

It sucked at chopping stuff, it didn't rotate properly after each press so I ended up having to chop stuff to an even size with a knife and it was impossible to clean properly. I think mine was branded Metaltex, but Zyliss and the Slap chop™ use the same basic design.

Later I bought an Alligator onion chopper and that thing can chop stuff into nice evenly sized bits all day long. It's also really good for making evenly sized fries.

Jasper Tin Neck has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Jul 20, 2016

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

HaB posted:

Mine is none of that except loud. Harleys had a lovely reputation (and deservedly so) for many years. Not so much over the last 8-9. I have a 2014 I bought new and it's by far the most comfortable bike I have ever owned, and I've owned Hondas, Yamahas and even an hand-built chopper.

v :) v

Well, awesome then. They finally got off their rear end and improved their designs. As it was, you might as well have been riding a John Deere tractor. Both in loudness, and just plain roughness.
Hell, the way it was made, it couldn't NOT leak oil.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

HaB posted:

This isn't actually true, for the record. [...] I can't fault Harley for making money off those dudes. If they're dumb enough to buy it, why not sell it to them?

Yeah, I know, it just seems like the vast, vast majority of people I saw on Harleys were like that. Maybe it just depends on where you are, because since moving to New York, I've seen a good deal more people who just happen to ride Harleys without being walking billboards. I actually saw a couple of groups of legit, patched motorcycle club members here too, something I never saw in NEOhio. I totally agree with you on your last point too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

I once bought a slap chop type mincer because I use a lot of onions in my cooking and hate chopping them.

It sucked at chopping stuff, it didn't rotate properly after each press so I ended up having to chop stuff to an even size with a knife and it was impossible to clean properly. I think mine was branded Metaltex, but Zyliss and the Slap chop™ use the same basic design.

Later I bought an Alligator onion chopper and that thing can chop stuff into nice evenly sized bits all day long. It's also really good for making evenly sized fries.

I just buy sliced onions in bags from the supermarket now because :effort:

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Yeah, I feel like Harley riders automatically get an unfair shake. I grew up the son of the president of chapter of a Harley only MC and have been working on and building custom bikes since I was a kid. My first bike, an early ´85 sporty was literally garbage but I loved it an kept it alive for way too long. My 2012 Dyna with fuel infection doesn't need any love or attention and runs better than my Ford truck or my Girlfriends Nissan. They've gotten a lot better but credit card bikers that watched a few episodes of Sons of Anarchy still run me the wrong way.

Edit: I should add I saw a lot less of them up in Boston with the much shorter riding season than I do now in Texas. But I still regularly get questioned on gigs for riding my bike in a "storm".

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Pringles in australia recently changed manufacturing location from... wherever, to malaysia. The new chips are around 2/3rds the size they were originally, go stale faster, and cost just as much for a 134g packet as a 150g packet did.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

So do Harley dealerships sell the loving insanely loud bikes (I'm talking ones you can't even hear anything else but it if you're in like a half mile range) or is it something added aftermarket?

Why the hell does anyone think they're cool with the loud bikes? I can understand other car/bike modifications, no matter how tacky/stupid but the bikes are a mystery to me as to why they think they're cool with them

I don't know noise laws but I don't see things like this being legal...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The super loud pipes are aftermarket, but dealerships will happily charge you a premium for them and install them for you on your brand-new HogŪ.

The reason a lot of people like loud pipes on their bikes is because they want them to sound more "manly", because making noise is a lizard brain macho thing. And of course, a lot of people also like to justify it with "loud pipes save lives" bullshit.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

88h88 posted:

If I lived in the US I'd have to bake all the bread myself.

Wait, I already do that, or nearly so. (This is in part a cost-cutting measure; I have three sons and they're only going to eat more and more as they grow.)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Groke posted:

If I lived in the US I'd have to bake all the bread myself.

Wait, I already do that, or nearly so. (This is in part a cost-cutting measure; I have three sons and they're only going to eat more and more as they grow.)

People are so weird about American bread and cheese, like it's impossible to realize we have actual bakeries and cheese makers and it's not just wonder bread and kraft singles

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Aesop Poprock posted:

People are so weird about American bread and cheese, like it's impossible to realize we have actual bakeries and cheese makers and it's not just wonder bread and kraft singles

This got me idly wondering what percentage of the US population live within convenient shopping distance of a decent bakery.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

A lot of grocery stores have bakeries in them or in a nearby and they make decent bread.

The us has really excellent cheese. Thinking otherwise is just wrong.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I am quite willing to believe that my experience from living in a small town in Kentucky in 1989/1990 is not necessarily representative of the US as a whole. In many respects, including the availability of various food products.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

88h88 posted:

Aesop Poprock posted:

People are also weird about American beer, as if Bud and Bud Lite are the only beers available here. We have plenty of decent, good, and great breweries here, just like anywhere else.

edit: re: the "American bread = cake" comment, as someone who has had American bread, European bread, American cake, and European cake, I will say that this is a WILD exaggeration. American bread is definitely too laden with sugar/HFCS, but to compare it to cake is just ridiculous.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The "American bread" thing is the dumbest stereotype that a surprising number of people actually believe. As has already been pointed out, if you've been to just one actual grocery store like a Publix or even walmart supercenter, you'd know can get just as much freshly baked bread that is more or less identical in quality to the european grocery store bread. The fact that so many americans still make fun of it makes me question whether they've ever been shopping, or if they have, why they are lying and pretending like all you can get is wonderbread. Yes they sell more of it in the US than elsewhere, but you don't have to buy it, there's "actual" bread just a few steps away.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Murphy Brownback posted:

The "American bread" thing is the dumbest stereotype that a surprising number of people actually believe. As has already been pointed out, if you've been to just one actual grocery store like a Publix or even walmart supercenter, you'd know can get just as much freshly baked bread that is more or less identical in quality to the european grocery store bread.

My experience disagrees with this. Out of all the in - supermarket - bakeries I've been to in the Chicago burb's only two have had bread comparable to a basic European supermarket bakery. The overly sweet, weak flavour, styrofoam texture and spongy crust has been universal. Freshly baked doesn't automatically mean good when the recipe sucks.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Well that's just because Illinois is a laughable shithole of a state.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Saw these in a convenience store, didn't buy them

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Can I post something that I used to hate?

Motorola products. Anything. I worked at a T-Mobile call center between 2004 and 2008 and at LEAST half the calls we got were because Motorola phones were the most cheaply made, slow pieces of garbage there was. Everyone wanted a loving RAZR because it had a stupid loving name and looked like poo poo. I got in trouble with work because I would actively try to dissuade customers from buying it. There were thirty other loving phones that were half as expensive as the RAZR and would last eight times as long and why why why DON'T BUY THIS loving PHONE.

One day some Motorola people came to the call center to tell us about some new bullshit they were making and they gave us all these weird candy dispensers that looked like phones. The girl sitting next to me pushed the button on it and the entire thing came apart like it was spring-loaded to destroy itself. Very indicative of a Motorola product.

To be fair, I don't know much about the cell phone industry now or Motorola. Maybe they got their poo poo together.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I loved my razr. I decided to try out the SLVR when it came out and hated it, that thing sucked and every time I had to use it I was wishing I had my razr back.

Those are the only two motorola products I remember actively using though. To me they were alwyas just "that company that made the razr and sometimes my cable modem".

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Saw these in a convenience store, didn't buy them

They must be making some kind of desperate bid for relevance, because I saw these at a Target today.

I cannot even begin to fathom what was passing through the head of the executive who decided that pressed chocolate dust and uncomfortably chewy red-flavored goop would pair well with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Murphy Brownback posted:

I loved my razr. I decided to try out the SLVR when it came out and hated it, that thing sucked and every time I had to use it I was wishing I had my razr back.

Those are the only two motorola products I remember actively using though. To me they were alwyas just "that company that made the razr and sometimes my cable modem".

Incorrect. Your RAZR sucked. It was slow, the buttons malfunctioned, sometimes the phone would erase itself, it would melt if left out in the sun for two minutes, the battery life was nil, the camera barely functioned, the sound quality was rear end, the reception was terrible, sometimes half the screen would turn black and probably never return, and the little hidden sticker that's supposed to indicate water damage would always be tripped so your warranty was void no matter what.

Maybe you were the exception?

Everything else Motorola made -- the SLVR, the CRZR, the AIDS, the NAZI, they were all equally terrible. I just hate the RAZR especially because of its popularity. Then again, if the RAZR was never made, then twenty million people wouldn't have had to call T-Mobile to bitch about their broken phone and I probably wouldn't have had a job.

• Locked thread