Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

John Murdoch posted:

In the case of blind-boxed collectibles, gambling has already entered the equation.

Also the entire recent scandal surrounding CSGO skins/TF2 hats/etc. being illegal gambling that targets kids, since it tickles both that collector urge since there's rarity involved and the gambling urge since there's an actual dollar value attached to it and a cottage industry built around turning those items and their Steambux into real money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Dreddout posted:

I live in the US and I just import the Novamin stuff. I have noticed it works a lot better than any of our domestic brands.

Where did you order it from?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dreddout posted:

I live in the US and I just import the Novamin stuff. I have noticed it works a lot better than any of our domestic brands.

Where from?
I have poopy butt teeth and need as much help as I can get.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Where from?
I have poopy butt teeth and need as much help as I can get.

I ordered it off of Amazon.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Canadian Amazon, I presume. And read the description to make sure it contains NovaMin, or you might just get the US approved poo poo.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
American Amazon has it. Just from a third party seller.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Zero One posted:

I did this. Though I haven't experienced anything amazing, best I can tell.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zero One posted:

I am not seeing it at all. Just vastly overpriced rates. Link?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

nocal posted:

I did this. Though I haven't experienced anything amazing, best I can tell.

I've got sensitive teeth, and I have noticed it works really well for them. Better than our brands that are specifically for sensitive teeth.

I suffer from demineralization though, which is what Novamin claims to treat so YMMV. It could also be placebo, but I'm happy with it. :shrug:

Inzombiac posted:

I am not seeing it at all. Just vastly overpriced rates. Link?

Here's some for 7.44 It comes from the UK so you have to wait about a month before you actually receive it.

I buy it in packs of 4 for about 22.00 USD, then I buy another pack when I get to my last tube.

I never worry about running out and one purchase lasts me the better part of a year.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

So I'm on a weekend trip and saw a comic store advertised and was like, sure, checking that out.

Might as well have called it the FuncoPop store.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

My Lovely Horse posted:

So I'm on a weekend trip and saw a comic store advertised and was like, sure, checking that out.

Might as well have called it the FuncoPop store.

Both chains of video game retailers in Australia are cannibalising store space to sell these drat things, as if we don't have enough problems buying video games already. It sucks. :(

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

AlphaKretin posted:

Both chains of video game retailers in Australia are cannibalising store space to sell these drat things, as if we don't have enough problems buying video games already. It sucks. :(

Not to mention EB Games (read: gamestop) has another store just for selling collectables and about a quarter of the shop is filled with those crappy things.

treiz01
Jan 2, 2008

There is little that makes me happier than taking drugs. Perhaps administering them, designing and carrying out experiments that bend the plane of what we consider reality.

Intoluene posted:

Not to mention EB Games (read: gamestop) has another store just for selling collectables and about a quarter of the shop is filled with those crappy things.

A quarter? You lucky devil. At my local EB Games, the walls are totally covered in these drat bigheads.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

treiz01 posted:

A quarter? You lucky devil. At my local EB Games, the walls are totally covered in these drat bigheads.

It's ridiculous how much real estate those stupid figures get in both EB Games and Zing. Clearly they're selling well but gently caress me, they're not even interesting anymore.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I don't get those Funko things - they don't even look like what they're supposed to be. They're like baby versions of fictional characters for autistic people.

In the Ghostbusters remake thread there was a great bit when people realised that the Paul Feig Funko doll:

Was just this body:

With a repaint of loving Chris Hemsworth funko's head:

Collectable!!!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Lmao who the hell buys a crappy plastic doll of a film/tv director

WHO BUYS THIS STUFF

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Frankston posted:

Lmao who the hell buys a crappy plastic doll of a film/tv director

WHO BUYS THIS STUFF

Same people who bought beanie babies I figure.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

AlphaKretin posted:

It's because physical media in general is dying and also killing off the used games market in the process, while people who absolutely have to have a little plastic disc can do pre-orders with day-one delivery on Amazon and then trade it back in to their used game program for way more than GameStop offers. Blockbuster went through something similar in its final years where it started dedicating more floor space to selling movie posters and collectible merch as the market for physical movie rentals moved to Netflix and Redbox cannibalized their remaining market.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

They could just sell that exact same doll in a kingsmen branded box

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

I don't get those Funko things - they don't even look like what they're supposed to be. They're like baby versions of fictional characters for autistic people.

In the Ghostbusters remake thread there was a great bit when people realised that the Paul Feig Funko doll:

Was just this body:

Collectable!!!

Sentient Data posted:

They could just sell that exact same doll in a kingsmen branded box

I found out that there's actually a whole custom Funko figurine scene almost entirely because so many of the figurines are already just the same few different base parts mixed and matched.

late_stage_capitalism.png

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Crossposting from the Companies That Are Circling The Drain thread:

Andorra posted:

The other day I went into the local Hastings for what was probably the last time before it closes for good, and it was mostly empty aside from the hundreds of unwanted Funko Pop figurines lining the walls. A disappointing end to one of my favorite stores.

So maybe those hideous things aren't doing so hot after all?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

You Are A Elf posted:

Crossposting from the Companies That Are Circling The Drain thread:

So maybe those hideous things aren't doing so hot after all?

I see those stupid things everywhere but I don't know a single person that's bought one.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The 7-11 by me has had a bunch of them behind the register for like a year now. It doesn't look like a single one has been sold

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I see those stupid things everywhere but I don't know a single person that's bought one.

I was given one by a friend, and I think she was gifted it!

Funkopop will circulate unwanted for all eternity.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gorilla Salad posted:

Was just this body:

Collectable!!!

Eh, toy companies do this all the time, but not only do they reuse parts, they'll sometimes just repaint an existing figure a different color.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
Lol just lol if y'all think Funko Pops don't sell. From what I can tell the market is slowing but for every person that's baffled by their existence, you have people like a friend of mine (a gamer grrl GameStop manager) who owns literally hundreds of them.

I have the golden girls ones because gently caress your, the golden girls rule

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Funko Pops are pretty dull, but I was given a Howard the Duck one and I love it, because it's just so god damned odd and because Howard is the best.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It's going to be amusing finding storage units full of these things in 20 years.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The "what will future archaologists think" gag is kinda played out, but seriously.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jack In The Box tacos are food but only by the most technical definitions.
Like, why did they even try? Taco Bell is gross as hell but at least it is taco flavored.

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Inzombiac posted:

Like, why did they even try? Taco Bell is gross as hell but at least it is taco flavored.

You're only supposed to eat them when you're wasted dude

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I used to eat the party boxes from Taco Bell by myself every now and then, in my late teens. I'm not sure that they were 12-packs back then. I thought it was 10. Which is still shameful. :(
I'm better now.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Zahi posted:

You're only supposed to eat them when you're wasted dude

I've never been so high that they were appealing and I once ate three Little Ceaser's smothered in those tons of whipped cream.
With a side of 3D Doritos.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I had never heard of funko pop before this thread. Although I've apparently been living under a rock, I'm kind of glad of it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

I've never been so high that they were appealing and I once ate three Little Ceaser's smothered in those tons of whipped cream.
With a side of 3D Doritos.

I... you ate what, exactly?

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

Davros1 posted:

Eh, toy companies do this all the time, but not only do they reuse parts, they'll sometimes just repaint an existing figure a different color.

Mego did that back in the 70s when they came out with the KISS dolls. Paul Stanley's head was actually Daryl "The Captain" Dragon's from Captain and Tennille because those dolls didn't sell very well and they had a ton of them laying around. They just added the poofy hair and facepaint.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

WescottF1 posted:

Mego did that back in the 70s when they came out with the KISS dolls. Paul Stanley's head was actually Daryl "The Captain" Dragon's from Captain and Tennille because those dolls didn't sell very well and they had a ton of them laying around. They just added the poofy hair and facepaint.

:captainpop:

I first noticed this as a kid when I bought some GI Joe - Street Fighter II figurines. I owned Guile & Balrog and they both resembled characters that my brother had. To be honest, it's not surprising they reused the Cobra boxing trainer molds for a guy inspired by Mike Tyson. It is pretty ridiculous that those Street Fighter toys also had a set of firearms. Give the boxing dude a bazooka and two rifles? Uh, okay...

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Sep 12, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

It took me awhile to realize why I found their ad graphics so unappealing but it's the cheese. They put kraft-singles-looking sliced cheese on a taco. What the heck. I've never actually had one so maybe they're amazing but I kind of doubt it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aesop Poprock posted:

I... you ate what, exactly?

Tubs*
It was Cool Whip but I couldn't think of the name. Yeah, I used to smoke a lot of pot and would just mash whatever food I had together in the name of "science".

This is how I found that Barq's root beer and chocolate milk is sweet, sweet ambrosia and I devised a recipe for bachelor chow that ended up being very filling and healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Look out Bobcat In A Box, now there's a subscription crate service dedicated entirely to sending you postcards and bookmarks.

• Locked thread