Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The '660' in this image referes to engine displacement while the 12 means it has 4 valves per cylinder :getin:

1990 Honda Acty Street G kei van, 10 ft long, 6 feet tall and 4.5 feet wide, and among the elite of Hondas as it can go to all the cool parties the NSX is invited to by virtue of having it's engine just in front of the rear wheels. It's 26 years old, registered, legal, insured and real dang awesome to drive around smugly. I bought it from Japanese Classics because they have a stellar reputation (mostly from importing and selling Skylines) and because they did all the hard work of actually importing it. Buying from them is like buying any other car, you get a title and the keys and you go on your merry way. Them being in Virginia and me being in Florida (and my unwillingness to drive from there to here in a tiny van on US highways) meant I had it shipped. The hardest part about this whole process was securing insurance and getting it off the truck. Insurance was tough because you give them the VIN and they wait for the rest of the digits and you don't have any more and they get confused. Going through specialty vehicle insurance like Hagerty doesn't work because this van is neither worth at least $10k nor is special enough (only the VW Bus is considered a cool enough van for 'insurance'). In the end, like most things, it's all about who you know. We called up a local independent insurance agent and she ended up securing reasonable insurance through Progressive of all places with the upshot that I don't have to store the van in a locked garage. I was fighting the bureaucracy of the systems insurance companies use, not policies themselves.

As you can see from this picture the space between the wheels of this thing rubs on the inside rails of the tray on the truck trailer.

You can see here that the 'tray' aspect of that part of the trailer is only where the van sat during transit. To get it in there it has to drive on flat parts where there is no tray and the risk of a wheel falling into the space between the tracks is extremely high. To get it off you have to reverse but it can't easily get grip because you are riding on the inside edges of the tracks where it is smooth metal, and you are so close to falling in that you have to balance gunning it over the hump of the real wheels on the trailer without slowing down enough to send your rear wheel spinning, falling in the center of the track, and not destroying the clutch in the process. It wasn't fun.

Three cylinders and not-even 40 horsepower for all your van needs

I have no idea what that last picture says! Lucky for me James Danko has provided a factory repair manual for the Honda Acty in English for us westerners that can't understand the true language of the JDM.
As for driving one of these around in the USA, it's great. Squeeze through most areas, park anywhere no matter how badly the silver alert double parked, and haul anything you want as long as it isn't any longer than 6 feet and isn't heavier than 440 pounds. You also get a ton of attention including one man who came up:
Him: "Is this from overseas?"
Me: "Yeah, it's a Japanese import"
Him: "HAH! Good luck!" in an old-white-dude-so-sure-it-is-still-1965 sort of way
me: :confused:

It's both larger and smaller than you think it is. It's turning radius has got to be within 15 feet and driving from the right hand side is actually not as difficult as I thought it would be, you quickly acclimate. The Acty has such good visibility that I haven't found any sort of turn I was making difficult or hard. It has no gusto (especially with my other car being a Golf R) but you find yourself at speed soon enough. The transmission is smooth and kinda fun to whip through the gears which is good because you take 90 degree turns in third gear most of the time. Everything is so simple and it's so small that I can roll down all 4 windows while sitting in the drivers seat. I'm a little over 5'9" and I am toward the upper end of how tall you can be and still comfortably drive this. It has A/C as well that works, although once you turn it on you make twice as much noise at idle that you were with it off. Parts aren't nearly as hard as you'd think either because they are all really small, Acty's were really popular in Japan and here in the USA quite a few people use the pickup version as farm vehicles. This is good because if I ever want to put 15 inch super swampers and a lift kit on my van I know where to go. Also, try not to get hit as you are more like a highly-visible motorcycle rather than an actual car.

I paid $6350 total for the van itself (the sales page is still up here with a 'sold' badge on it) and doing business with Japanese Classics was a pleasure. As soon as Autozam AZ-1s start becoming legal to import here in the US I'll be hitting them up again.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The old man probably meant "good luck" as in good luck when you get T boned/rear ended by a dumbass tourist.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I'm in Japan right now and seeing all these dinky vans and Kei trucks is making me very sad about the lack of options for light trucks/van in North America.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I loved looking at all the Actys when I was in Japan. They just seem so happy as they bustle between eight and two hundred Japanese workers around the city.

Inexplicably they have more front legroom and probably more crumple zone than a HiAce.

Can't wait until the Daihatsu Tanto becomes legal for import here. Now that's a box.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

leica posted:

The old man probably meant "good luck" as in good luck when you get T boned/rear ended by a dumbass tourist.

What if I told you he was wearing a 'Trump' hat, would this change your mind?

TWSS posted:

I'm in Japan right now and seeing all these dinky vans and Kei trucks is making me very sad about the lack of options for light trucks/van in North America.

There are van options now at least, in so much as light compared to what we used to get with the NV200 plus whatever that little Chevy van is. Really though you should just import a tiny truck if you want, there are already a bunch over here.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 11, 2016

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That cluster looks like an EF Civic and CB Accord got blackout drunk and had regrettable relations. :allears:

Nice find. Kinda curious how you get to the engine for repairs though?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Haha, nice!

I visited a fairly remote cluster of Islands called Batanes (kinda midway between Taiwan and the Philippines) last year. We were driven around in something similar to that, only 4000% more ratty. Sliding door didn't close properly, so I pointed that out to the guide. No worries, he'd fix it! Which he did, by tying it open with a piece of string.

I bet you could fit half an IKEA in the back of that.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If the wheels aren't zero offset you could have reversed them for more track width during shipping :haw:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:whatup:

I love it, small vans are awesome.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Do you chain that down in a hurricane so it doesn't blow away?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
You'd think using a CBR-1000 engine or the detuned F3 out of the 999 on the kai cars would be a no-brainer for honda.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

TEAH SYAG posted:

You'd think using a CBR-1000 engine or the detuned F3 out of the 999 on the kai cars would be a no-brainer for honda.

Kei cars have very strict size/displacement limits. So they won't do it from the factory. But anyone brave enough to do so on their own. Yes please.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
So the foot well is a crumple zone? Stay safe man cuz good god.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Oh man this thing is in such good condition. God bless Japan.

How much fun is it to drive? I imagine just sitting in the thing would make you smile... :3:

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013

The 4WD pickup version

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

D'awwwww :3:

Reminds me a bit of these, which are all over Romania

It's just a Dacia 1300 with the back chopped out and replaced with a teeny flatbed. The Dacia 1300 is in turn basically just a Renault 12. Tiny little thing. I think those are 13" wheels.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

some texas redneck posted:

That cluster looks like an EF Civic and CB Accord got blackout drunk and had regrettable relations. :allears:

Nice find. Kinda curious how you get to the engine for repairs though?

Like this normally, lift the carpet and unscrew 4 bolts and it's yours

Elephanthead posted:

Do you chain that down in a hurricane so it doesn't blow away?
I hope to never take it over the Sunshine Skyway during a storm so it shouldn't blow away.

astrollinthepork posted:

So the foot well is a crumple zone? Stay safe man cuz good god.

The crumple zone is actually 'your knees'

88h88 posted:

Oh man this thing is in such good condition. God bless Japan.

How much fun is it to drive? I imagine just sitting in the thing would make you smile... :3:

It's a very happy car. Starts right up and it's like it wants to get you where you need to go ASAP, it's just that it can't help but be slow because it has no power. It's a weird experience driving it, you sit just as high as your average CUV but you have this panoramic window where everyone can see you, like you are on display when you drive it. It's a real serious vehicle in performance just that everything is small. I'm completely enamored with this silly little van.

wildemere posted:

The 4WD pickup version
Yesss so good. I don't know about hanging what seems like a not-insignificant amount of weight over the front like that though.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cugir8ZhGHs

buddy had one at uni, was the sickest thing in the universe stoppies for days son

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
I parked next to an NSX this morning at the local cars and coffee but the NSX owner didn't understand why :saddowns:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I love that thing.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL_T4Lr0uu8&hd=1

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

A part of the draw for this was seeing that video. He's incorrect about the radiator though, that is the AC condenser under the van, the radiator is in front like any other car. Also the spare tire isn't behind the engine it's in front :sperg: Him not being comfortable driving it just proves he's a big weenie.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've driven them extensively, and the only thing I didn't like is there is no power, obviously. But it's to a point where it makes it unpleasant, and in the states I can't imagine dealing with it, but hey it's a quirky cool little car have fun with it just don't be taking it on the interstate or anything :v:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

A part of the draw for this was seeing that video. He's incorrect about the radiator though, that is the AC condenser under the van, the radiator is in front like any other car. Also the spare tire isn't behind the engine it's in front :sperg: Him not being comfortable driving it just proves he's a big weenie.

Yeah, unfortunately he seems to have become less funny and more weenie-ey as of late. His earlier videos were hilarious. Not so much anymore.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Glad it's not just me thinking the same. He seems to be spending a lot of time building up that Falcon which is to be honest, boring as gently caress because he's just not that funny when it's not been written down in advance.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KakerMix posted:

I parked next to an NSX this morning at the local cars and coffee but the NSX owner didn't understand why :saddowns:

That's hilarious, shame on NSX guy for not getting the joke and rolling with it.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Oh God, the good Kei cars are starting to become legal to import. I'm going to be smeared under someone's Suburban when I get my Suzuki Cappuccino, but I will love every second of owning that tiny, tiny car.
How does it feel to sit in a Kei car? I've also always wanted a Mighty Boy, but I'm 6'3". With the Cappuccino, I figure that worst comes to worst, I can get a smaller steering wheel and take off the top like this, but Mighty Boys don't get that luxury

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Depends how wide you are as to whether you'll fit or not, your head will be an inch off the roof and your entrance and exit in the car will be less than graceful but you should fit, just. If you're a wider man then a tiny car may be the motivation to lose a few lbs if only so it'll get up to speed quicker considering they're 63/64hp...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Clicked the thread expecting a NSX, this is so much cooler. Awesome little van thing

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Door Frame posted:

Oh God, the good Kei cars are starting to become legal to import. I'm going to be smeared under someone's Suburban when I get my Suzuki Cappuccino, but I will love every second of owning that tiny, tiny car.
How does it feel to sit in a Kei car? I've also always wanted a Mighty Boy, but I'm 6'3". With the Cappuccino, I figure that worst comes to worst, I can get a smaller steering wheel and take off the top like this, but Mighty Boys don't get that luxury

Specifically with this van I'd feel that 6'3" would really be pushing it but I'm only 5'9" so what do I know. Sitting in this feels like sitting in a cross between the 82 Tercel I had and the E250 Ford van I drove for work years ago. Everything is solid feeling, everything is mechanical and it all feels tough and commercial, just tiny. In this you sit as high as you would in a CRV or something similar but you also have this giant (in context) windshield that displays you to the world. I would have to imagine that a Cappuccino or Beat would be fundamentally different as in this I don't worry about being seen, just being hit. I'm still enamored with this van. Also the "JDM BRO" types are totally cool with this stupid van too, I have so many Nissan 240Xs fist pumping when they spot me.

In a bit more than a year I'm going to be trying my hardest getting an Autozam AZ-1, being in Florida I know if I can get one here now I could register it in the less-than-federally-legal way as there is an R34 Skyline driving around town but I want to be legal beagle. I'm just worried about the cost jumping since there were less than five thousand of these things made. I too await death by Suburban.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I know exactly what you mean, I had a windstar for years and also drove my buddy's CRX for a while, so it's a total crapshoot if I will even fit my legs under the dash of an older one. I wish there was somewhere to just test drive a Kei...

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Him: "HAH! Good luck!" in an old-white-dude-so-sure-it-is-still-1965 sort of way
me: :confused:

As a guy who had a RHD subaru in north america, he probably is accurately wishing you good luck on sourcing any used parts for this thing.

Neat vehicle though and it looks like it's not your daily driver which is perfect.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I know exactly what you mean, I had a windstar for years and also drove my buddy's CRX for a while, so it's a total crapshoot if I will even fit my legs under the dash of an older one. I wish there was somewhere to just test drive a Kei...

I think the official 'will I fit?' test is to acquire a cardboard box for a washing machine and then sit inside it. If you're comfortable then you will be in a kei car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Changed out the pads and front rotors, now it stops straight and true without any shudder

Changed the wheels up. Took the wheel covers off, plasti-dipped the black steel wheels with many new coats of black, got some new 'H' center caps and new lug nuts.

Had to order those little H center caps from Japan and convince Osamu that I was sure they would fit. They come with the silver steel wheels but never the black ones.

Put on new tires, changed the oil and air filter (which are pricey since I have to order them from Japan). Lucky for me modern Honda oil filters fit this so that's all good.
I've been dailying this for a month and I just think it's fantastic. Runs great, sips gas, cruises beautifully at 65 and just loves to run. I've gotten extremely used to being tiny, in squeezing through areas that others can't go (usually related to turning right on red, parking lot gently caress ups etc) and swimming in all lanes. If you want to get noticed get a kei van. This gets more looks and interest than any other car I've ever seen. VW Van bros adore it too. Fist pumps from JDM ricer types, 'omg so cute' from college-age girls, confusion from lifted bro truck guys and endless smiles from everyone else. Young guys especially just seem to love it. I'd suggest a tiny van for everyone.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Where did the rotors come from?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Where did the rotors come from?

http://yokohamamotors.net/store/page61.html

A place that got started shipping parts to US service men who brought their Japanese cars with them when they went back home. This is also the place that wrote the English factory repair manual for the Acty too. It makes something like this a lot more enticing as well because I could share a lot of parts. The little center caps from the wheels came from jp-carparts.com which happens to be a way for an English-speaker living in the United States like myself to be able to order OEM factory Honda parts from Japan itself. I originally looked at getting new OEM aluminum wheels that were available for these new but the are 390 bucks a piece. New OEM wheel covers like the ones I have are 83 dollars a piece, so I passed on those.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 22, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Give Amayama a try; I have gotten all kinds of JDM part numbers from there before in Canada. I assume they would also ship to America.

They are also often the cheapest vendor for many USDM part numbers of Toyotas, way below dealer cost - but they didn't have anything for my Civic, so maybe Honda USDM coverage is poor.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Give Amayama a try; I have gotten all kinds of JDM part numbers from there before in Canada. I assume they would also ship to America.

They are also often the cheapest vendor for many USDM part numbers of Toyotas, way below dealer cost - but they didn't have anything for my Civic, so maybe Honda USDM coverage is poor.

Woah hey yeah these guys are pretty inexpensive compared to the places I've checked before. I'd like to re-do the suspension here in a bit as well and with Amayama I can do it cheaper than what I was looking at before. Many thanks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I am so very jealous of your tiny van. 3 cylinder supremacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

I am so very jealous of your tiny van.

Agreed. Honda had the right idea in the late '80s / early '90s. Then dumb design/safety choices happened.

• Locked thread