Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
at first you're like 5ghz coz 5 is at least 2 times as big as 2.5 but then you realise hertz is 1/time so 5gjz is a cheat code for "smaller and "definitely weaker" and I guess what k al trying to ask is why my new modem has both and what is better and why are you worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
5ghz is much better in developed areas with neighbors and public utilities and stuff, so you're probably fine using either

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enabled both to get the benefits of both urban and rural degeneration

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

echinopsis posted:

I enabled both to get the benefits of both urban and rural degeneration

i hate to point this out but you didn't remember to put the word megathread in your thread title so i'm afraid it's doomed :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
5ghz isn't weaker. it can have the same amplitude as the 2.5ghz signal, and would also be radiating more power

5ghz is more oscillations per second, and as a result has a shorter wavelength

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
watch quiggy come in and correct me and make me feel like a drat fool

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no, you're exactly right

if congestion is a non issue, 5.8 is better for interior areas or long point to point links. its attenuated less by concrete and walls but will generally have shorter point to point distance in open areas. the flip side of this is an antenna of a given size will have much higher gain at 5ghz than 2.4, and the beam will be narrower and the link ends up being better

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

please don't use 2.4 if you don't have to support 2.4 clients

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

please don't use 2.4 if you don't have to support 2.4 clients

loving wii u

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

angry_keebler posted:

i hate to point this out but you didn't remember to put the word megathread in your thread title so i'm afraid it's doomed :(

lol u are probe but this thread isnt

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

4.20ghz

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

angry_keebler posted:

lol @ graph being too thin-skinned to let this pass

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I use 2.4 in my crowded wireless space powered at 100% on channel 7 (40 MHz spread though)

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
2.5. Lower number = better. e.g. the iPhone 4S

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I use 2.4 in my crowded wireless space powered at 100% on channel 7 (40 MHz spread though)

:supaburn:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

A Pinball Wizard posted:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so I have this wifi AP with boith 2.4 and 5 giggies and an extender with both 2.4 and 5 giggies

the devices would want me to have different SSIDs for each band on each device but I have given all 4 networks the same SSID

mainly because I want people who visit to not have to enter different wifi passowrds etc depending on where they are on my property

but is there a thing where like if 2.4 is called "house" and 5 is called "house5" then the device does it automatically?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
me
https://i.imgur.com/ShUIjpn.gifv
enjoying electromagnetic waves

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it wont save the pass across ssid's (but different APs with the exact same ssid and pass will work). if you want them to be good across the property and you're running dual band, have them connect to each once, and then they're good.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
righto. the only other thing I've done is forced the channel and kept them different between APs

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

just how much property do you claim to have

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just over 1/4 acre

its square ish shape with this massive cionstruction of wood metal and brick causing interference in the middle

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah thats called your "house" echi

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I think 5GHz is actually worse at traveling through concrete and wood and structure. Any given object is more wavelengths to pass through.

It is way better where I am because there are like 70 2.4GHz APs here and only 1 or 2 5GHz ones.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Which is why we will have 802.11ad at 60Ghz for short distance wireless TV and 802.11ah at 900Mhz for long distance IoT.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah thats called your "house" echi

thats what they want you to think

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

MrMoo posted:

Which is why we will have 802.11ad at 60Ghz for short distance wireless TV and 802.11ah at 900Mhz for long distance IoT.

No, we have 802.11ad at 60ghz because unbound oxygen in the air readilly attenuates it, allowing you to pack more devices in per square whatever

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I had no end of misery using a TP Link range extender. Kept forgetting it's settings and poo poo. Ended up getting the uber wire cutter router netgear nighthawk and decommissioning the extender and have been much MUCH happier. I get its signal literally across the street. A+

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

more vibrations per second is better op

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
They both move at the speed of light in atmosphere (or walls or whatever as applies) op

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GenericOverusedName posted:

They both move at the speed of light in atmosphere (or walls or whatever as applies) op

and yet they aren't equal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

more vibrations per second is better op

thats what she said, but was wrong about

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

A Pinball Wizard posted:

lol @ crazylittle white knighting the terribad yospos ik

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~
my internet box has 2.4g's and 5g's and the SSIDs are different but the keys are the same

it also has guest SSIDs (2.4 and 5) and i use a different key on that

its fine no complaints

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:getin:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

oval office AND PASTE posted:

my internet box has 2.4g's and 5g's and the SSIDs are different but the keys are the same

it also has guest SSIDs (2.4 and 5) and i use a different key on that

its fine no complaints

you force guests to have to deal with two SSIDs? cruel but effective

CUNT AND PASTE
Aug 15, 2004

~see my amazon wishlistu~

echinopsis posted:

you force guests to have to deal with two SSIDs? cruel but effective

"pick the 5g and if it sucks try the 2.4g, same password" and literally no one has had to roll over to 2.4g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

make sure to put 2.4ghz on the wider 40mhz band to gently caress with your neighbours

• Locked thread