Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ducecannon
Feb 4, 2010
What is Darkfall Online?
Darkfall is a full loot, pvp centered MMOFPS that was released in 2009 and shut down in 2012 by Aventurine. The game population floundered because due to a lack of management and development, among other issues. The game that was closed in 2012 was far more polished and fun than the one that most experienced and dropped in 2009.

A successor, Darkfall: Unholy Wars, was released shortly after the original Darkfall closed down. It aimed to be a simpler, more approachable and polished Darkfall. It was trash.

After years of the community begging Aventurine to bring back the original, Aventurine showed it's class and management prowess by simultaneously licensing the game to two companies. Work has already begun on these two, separate iterations of Darkfall with different goals: “New Dawn” by Ub3rgames and “Rise of Agon” by Big Picture Games.

Darkfall: New Dawn (DnD) will be an iteration of Darkfall that will focus on empire building and regional conflict. There will be local banking, a focus on racial gameplay, and a lack of instant travel. Players will be able to set up watch towers and extended walls around their cities to claim and tax territory; empire building will be incentivized. The playerbase for DnD seems to be the silent majority of players who tried and left the original Darkfall because of various complaints ranging from bad character progression to a 'lack of sand in the box'.

Darkfall: Rise of Agon (RoA) will effectively be a second launching of Darkfall Online. Very little is expected to be changed, as their playerbase is mostly comprised of people who didn't see anything wrong with the original Darkfall. They have a subforum titled Memory Lane where they call themselves 'Vets'.

About Darkfall:
The World:
The central continent of Agon is arranged like a hexagon with each race getting a sixth of the map. There are four medium sized islands in the corners of the map, each representing an element, along with countless smaller islands.
Races:
Darkfall has six races that are allied into three factions. Most races are generic fantasy races. The Alfar are antisocial and hate everybody, the 'Fantasy Three' and the remaining beast races form their own alliances, respectively.
The Alfar of Nagast: Short, angry Dark Elves. They have the smallest hit box and the smallest reach for melee. Alfar land (Nagast) looks nasty with giant mushrooms everywhere, the cities are underground and have giant acid pits that new players fall into while others laugh at them as they slowly die.
The Humans of Mercia: Humans in a medieval forest. Neat.
The Mirdain of the Forest Republic: Elves in a magical forest. Cool.
The Dwarves of Dvergheim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEm0AjTbsac
The Mahirim of the Tribelands: A race of lanky wolf people. They have the largest hit box, the furthest reach, the most health, and a tiny bonus to speed. The Tribelands look like a sparse forest in autumn, quite nice.
The Followers of Ymgarl: Orks that live next to a volcano, constantly throwing things into it. In Orklands, half the trees you'll be gathering wood from will be partially on fire. Expect to fall into a hidden gorge and die.
Classes: There are no classes, everybody plays a hybrid. Utilizing all your skills appropriately makes for a really high skill ceiling and interesting combat. DnD wants to implement a specification system that allows players to forgo access to some things in order to be instantly viable in others while RoA considers this heresy.
Clans and Solo Play: Eve Online rules in play here: Don't play alone. You can't farm everything yourself, and you can't stand up for yourself by yourself. DnD hopes to implement more solo friendly material like scheduled territory capture quests to kickstart public racial PvP and an Eve-like contracts system.
Housing and Holdings:
You can own and rent holdings that range from small cottages to large keeps. You can rent them out, allowing others to use your house as a bind stone to recall to. You can even furnish them with such things as smashable doors and slot machines.
Technology:
Aventurine once had some competent people, but they quit a while ago. However, they left their mark by creating a game engine that is still the best at what it does: letting scrubs combat-loot in a 200 man siege. Several hundred man fights were common shortly after release. The shadow system is pretty good too.

Why you should play Darkfall: New Dawn:
The “New Dawn” iteration of Darkfall: 3rd Time's the Charm will bring in a lot of Eve online features that goons will be familiar with such as local banking, territory control, and rifters. Ub3rgames puts out weekly updates on their progress and posts a lot in their forums, answering most questions and spurring discussion. They have thought through why Darkfall Online failed and are actively working to design past that.

I mean, it's a seven year old game where you run around stabbing people and knocking them up in the air with fireballs. What else should I say?

Goon Clans:
Awful Company was the Alfar clan in the original Darkfall. I wasn't in Awful Company and I can't speak on their behalf, but I think that if all goons race-stacked Alfar we could effectively hold all cities in Alfarlands. We could run the game like goonswarm did in Eve: branching out, wrecking people's stuff, and looting their bodies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1XdqnxTQwE

Release Date:

The game is expected to begin 'beta' (partial features implemented) within a month or two and be released early 2017.

More info
"Darkfall New Dawn in a Nutshell"
http://darkfallnewdawn.com/new-dawn-in-a-nutshell/

"Road to Release" - Weekly update by the developers on game development progress. Usually comes out each Monday.
http://darkfallnewdawn.com/news/

Ducecannon fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The game failed because it tried to recapture pre-trammel UO, which only worked because there were no alternatives back in 1997. Now these hardcore as gently caress PVP MMOs only cater to idiots who think that it'll be great and trolls. The idiots are gone within a month, then it becomes a game of the trolls trolling the other trolls to see who leaves first out of boredom, frustration or a dead community (this is the most likely scenario).

That being said, I'll play for that first month experience lol

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 11, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Ducecannon posted:

I think that if all goons race-stacked Alfar we could effectively hold all cities in Alfarlands. [/video]

With only like three people playing this will never happen.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wowzers

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

jabro posted:

With only like three people playing this will never happen.

I played Darkfall at launch and yeah I'm not seeing any possibility of the remaining goons playing the...third attempt? At this MMO. So everyone will be split between the two copies of the same game, which makes no loving sense at all to do, and it will be a contest to see which version lasts two months and which one lasts just the first month.

Fly Like Nimbus
Jun 17, 2015

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I'm also an idiot

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fly Like Nimbus posted:

I'm also an idiot

since you play MMOs you fit right in

Uncle Spriggly
Jan 29, 2009
I'm an avid swimming enthusiast and liked watching my character swim for hundreds of hours to barely raise my stats. Make Darkfall great again.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The game failed because it tried to recapture pre-trammel UO, which only worked because there were no alternatives back in 1997. Now these hardcore as gently caress PVP MMOs only cater to idiots who think that it'll be great and trolls. The idiots are gone within a month, then it becomes a game of the trolls trolling the other trolls to see who leaves first out of boredom, frustration or a dead community (this is the most likely scenario).

This happens in every PvP-centric MMO. Trying to combine MMO style progression with fighting other players only works when it's a sideshow to the main game.
e: Or if you audience is people with autism like Eve.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Defiance Industries posted:

This happens in every PvP-centric MMO. Trying to combine MMO style progression with fighting other players only works when it's a sideshow to the main game.
e: Or if you audience is people with autism like Eve.

I thought the story of Eve PVP was that all the pubbies sucked rear end at it?

Is there even a single PVP based MMO that has a decent population?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

Albion's founder pack sales have been going incredibly well from what I've heard.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Tenzarin posted:

its just eve

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Tenzarin posted:

the story of eve is everyone stopped caring after 2009, but the dream of uniting goons everywhere to another pvp mmo lives on.

Ducecannon
Feb 4, 2010

Freakazoid_ posted:

the story of eve is everyone stopped caring after 2009, but the dream of uniting goons everywhere to another pvp mmo lives on.

I still dream that dream.

I think that this game, if it gets popular enough, may fit that bill. It's got all of the same essential components as Eve and may function as the next autism simulator. Also, the dev team is really good at communicating: they've been putting out updates every week on Monday and they communicate a lot on their forums. The game is really aged, but I still think there won't be anything like it on the market on release.

On their last news release on the 8th, they got the client running so they can bug test it and put out an inDev test gameplay video:
http://darkfallnewdawn.com/2016-03-08-road-to-release-4/

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Ducecannon posted:

I think that this game, if it gets popular enough, may fit that bill.

But it won't because people have paid for the same game twice, and most of us don't care to pay for a third on top of a $15 subscription fee.

Ducecannon
Feb 4, 2010

But it won't because people have paid for the same game twice, and most of us don't care to pay for a third on top of a $15 subscription fee.

You could easily be right, but DFO and DFUW came out years ago. There are a large amount of former players who plan on returning and new players might be enticed into the game.

Although this is a minor technicality: Aventurine never charged DFO players for the mess than was called DFUW, only subscription charges. Still, being charged twice (DFO and DFND) for the same game is bullshit regardless. This is covered under the "Business Model" dropdown on the "New Dawn in a Nutshell" page: http://darkfallnewdawn.com/new-dawn-in-a-nutshell/

I remain cautiously optimistic. I want to play this game again. I just hope people here consider it, register for alpha/beta, etc.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You are legit stupid if you're going to play Darkfall again in TYOOL 2016.

Sorry that's sort of unfair. Now if you're going to pay for it again.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Orv posted:

You are legit stupid if you're going to play Darkfall again in TYOOL 2016.

Sorry that's sort of unfair. Now if you're going to pay for it again.

ill play darkfall again in 2016. but i wont pay for it cause you are right

Fly Like Nimbus
Jun 17, 2015

I wish it was Darkfall that got remade ever year instead of call of doody

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

The hosed part about darkfall is if they added a skill limit and made the grind tolerable it would have been a decent game. Instead they changed every possible thing but those.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ducecannon posted:

More info
"Darkfall New Dawn in a Nutshell"
http://darkfallnewdawn.com/new-dawn-in-a-nutshell/

Subscription model spotted. Already failed before it's off the ground, ooh well. That entire pricing model just completely turned me off this.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Last Darkfall thread title was better.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Subscription model spotted. Already failed before it's off the ground, ooh well. That entire pricing model just completely turned me off this.

I wish more games did the $30/year like Chronicles of Elyria or even experimented with a $5 subscription fee, I think that could do quite well.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Dark fall: New Subscription

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016
Open beta started today, is anyone playing?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

i logged in and killed some goblins. then i logged out

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Blazing Zero posted:

i logged in and killed some goblins. then i logged out

Should I DL this Bad Game?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
no

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Was Darkfall really seven years ago? It's crazy how rapidly we'll all be dead, left only to play horrible games with 212 players online until the reaper comes (or don't, how the gently caress could splitting a dead fanbase in half work for another attempt at reviving a bad game?)

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The guild leader has spoken! :shittypop:

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Played for a bit and tried to kill goblins in elf lands. None of the Goblins would spawn for me. Will try again later.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

extra stout posted:

Was Darkfall really seven years ago? It's crazy how rapidly we'll all be dead, left only to play horrible games with 212 players online until the reaper comes

P much

FormerFatty
Jul 18, 2006
I couldnt imagine playing darkfall again... that grind tho :(

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ

FormerFatty posted:

I couldnt imagine playing darkfall again... that grind tho :(

Grinding is my drug. I need the feeling of wasting my time.
I think I will start on a private Ragnarok Online server again and hopefully it will get wiped after a month.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
I'm actually having some amount of fun with this, especially for the price of free -- I was a huge Ultima junkie though. Supposedly the beta servers are going to be up for like 9 months?

Rocking a dwarf right now. Have a sizable crew migrating to the game and starting to do dungeons and stuff.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Oh yeah, this third attempt at an unpopular, anachronistic game for spergs is gonna be a huge hit!

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

ok I played it yesterday for the first time and it was awesome. The world is alive and the've already added some quality of life additions like a weapon bar where you can bind hotbars and skills/spells to specific weapons.

Here is a nice Feature / Roadmap list on the official forums:
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,579.0.html

The hype is real! Anyone here whos gonna play it for real?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

kibato posted:

ok I played it yesterday for the first time and it was awesome. The world is alive and the've already added some quality of life additions like a weapon bar where you can bind hotbars and skills/spells to specific weapons.

Here is a nice Feature / Roadmap list on the official forums:
https://forums.darkfallnewdawn.com/index.php/topic,579.0.html

The hype is real! Anyone here whos gonna play it for real?

"A motivation for a lot of the changes we'll be working on is to give individuals a reason to be online and have selfish ways for them to need other players. An MMO should be on your mind everyday, at work, in transport, while speaking to your loved ones, in those minutes before sleep and especially when wondering what to do with your free time."

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

extra stout posted:

"A motivation for a lot of the changes we'll be working on is to give individuals a reason to be online and have selfish ways for them to need other players. An MMO should be on your mind everyday, at work, in transport, while speaking to your loved ones, in those minutes before sleep and especially when wondering what to do with your free time."

Lol

Also this game is still lovely and grindy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

Jimlit posted:

Lol

Also this game is still lovely and grindy.

have you played it or do you just repeat what others are saying?

• Locked thread