Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Don't grind dark roast so I don't need to clean my burrs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Just try making 1.5L instead of 1.7L and see if you like the taste.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Please remember brew temperature is different from kettle temperature

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

mediaphage posted:

correct which is why i explicitly mentioned americano water in my post

i find that if i add anything above 80 or so it really changes the flavour profile of the coffee (whether it's an actual effect or just something to do wrt tastebud interactions i can't say)

That's really neat, there's a theory going around the Serious Coffee People that there's a range of temperatures that make coffee nasty, like from 80-93°C, which is why the classic low-temp Aeropress recipe actually works quite well.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Your standard cup is 500mL?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

shoeberto posted:

I want to buy a french press. Is there any particularly well regarded one?

Ideal specs:
* not plastic
* dishwasher safe
* can do a few cups at a time
* well insulated

Hard mode: I'm trying to buy less from Amazon so ideally I can pick it up from somewhere else.

You want the insulated ones from Espro

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

shoeberto posted:

Nice rec man, thanks.

Enjoy, it's hard to grok when you look at the description but once your start using it it's a revelation.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

MononcQc posted:

made my first Chemex coffee. Was smooth & good, but maybe not strong enough. Gonna have to try a bit finer grounds.

Add a bit more coffee instead if you want stronger.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

fisting by many posted:

yeah that makes sense. I got concerned since a lot of sites said you want 91-96 and I thought "oh no my kettle doesn't go that hot". i'm near sea level. maybe it's cooling a lot while I'm fiddling with the thermometer.

food scale is essential!

When's the last time you calibrated your thermometer?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

I swear there's an astonishing number of 50-year old Gaggias still trucking. Unkillable things. Sometimes I feel I should jump into the classifieds and pick one up.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Upon inspection, I may need to check out estate sales for the really old ones, they've all probably only ever had one owner since 1967.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

restaurants tear open a premeasured pack of Sysco coffee and dump it into an industrial coffee maker with a regular filter. The only secret of the industrial coffee machine is that it has a hot water resiviour that always has the water immediately available at the ideal temperature

drinking the coffee out of a heavy very thick white mug helps too. getting some dinner style coffee mugs will probably be your biggest improvement

Big wide shallow baskets and a good showerhead are basically the secret weapon of commercial batch coffee brewing. That and an extremely even grind with the big roller mills that are only worth having at the packaging factory.

Basically that super-smooth coffee isn't something you'll get at home, and will never be super fresh anyway. Freshly roasted and ground coffee at home will have way more complex and interesting flavour but it's hard to get it as "smooth" or sweet and evenly brewed.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

lousy hat posted:

my office like 20 years ago just had multi-warmer Bunn brewers in the break rooms. best office coffee I’ve ever had, especially if you made it fresh

They're not cheap but you can get those in a "small office" size that works for home.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

i think it was originally a refurb baratza but then my neighbor borrowed it (and appears to have put wet coffee beans through it??? there was a hard cake of bean mud on the inside when she returned it and it didn't work anymore) and now it grinds so badly that there's dust and big 2mm^2 chunks of beans in the same grind.

Yeah she broke your grinder.

E: it's probably the burr carrier which is a quick and easy fix, or it's the lower adjuster which is much more of a son of a gun to swap

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

sad to report i’m off coffee to alleviate my heart palps, please keep me in your thoughts

Rip in peace. May you find tasty decaf in these trying times.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

i hate the term “french press” for cafetière, it sounds like a euphemism for a low-key sexual assault on a crowded train

Cafetière just means coffeemaker, my Jesus. It's helpful to have a more specific term.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Cheap machines, as a last step, force the coffee through a pinhole to guarantee some resistance to the pump and to artificially whip up the coffee to fake crema, regardless of how lovely the grind was or how old the coffee is.

This results in fake, insipid "crema" made of frothed coffee, and soggy pucks. You're going to have soggy pucks, since the operation of your machine is different from the ones where a dry puck is desirable.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Really good coffee has got to be the most affordable luxury there is, and if you aren't buying it from assholes, it makes growing it way more sustainable when you pay more.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

It's bedtime in a couple hours, so by god I'm going to make a decaf. It cost me 20$CA for the 12oz bag, and tastes great.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Quote/=edit

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

oh man my poo poo's already complex enough. also am i inadvertently brewing uncut crack?

20g bean
30g bloom
120 first
100 second

That's a p strong cup Jonny. I usually do 15 or 16g bean for that recipe

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Nobody Interesting posted:

what i was told, at least aboot Canadian mcdonalds is that they ended up switching to Tim Horton's supplier when Tim Horton's decided to cheap out and serve only poo poo coffee, so modern mcd has olden tyme Timmies

This is the coffee industry scuttlebutt yes.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

making some tea in my v60

This will confuse the hell out of the mods, well done

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

post hole digger posted:

I tried that once before, only once, and didnt think the end product tasted nearly as good as doing two separate pulls of the aeropress. i could have just added too much water though. i also usually make my own aeropress pulls very strong compared to drip (11:1 ratio of water to beans, usually 20g beans to 220g water)

There's less solvent per gram of coffee so to get the same extraction you need to compensate with longer extraction or more agitation.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

woke up very late today; 9 minutes before i should have been in the office. no time to make coffee. had an a&w coff (obligatory reminder im in Canada so it's not bad a&w). it was fine.

Buddy stopped by work yesterday cause he's off his construction job with an injury. He brought coffee from Tim's and I didn't partake, but he also brought Timbits which really hit the spot!!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

SimonSays posted:

Buddy stopped by work yesterday cause he's off his construction job with an injury. He brought coffee from Tim's and I didn't partake, but he also brought Timbits which really hit the spot!!

Before I get probed, I was already drinking a coffee at the time.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

How did they know!??

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Decon posted:

Who else here is a big ol espresso snob? I've gotta lil' baby Breville Duo-Temp Pro which is far from the biggest, meanest home espresso machine out there, but god drat does it make the K-cups at work taste like cigarettes by comparison.

Such a snob I won't even drink it cause it's not good enough :smug:

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Shoot, I might just go ahead and make an afternoon coffee.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Update: successfully made an afternoon Chemex

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

HamAdams posted:

question for you goons: i have a french press already that i use all the time and love, absolutely no complaints. i was given an aeropress for christmas and i’m debating if i wanna keep it or return it. is there some killer feature of it that i’m not aware of that makes it a significant upgrade over the french press?

It's self cleaning and makes a filtered cup of coffee. It also weighs nothing and is unbreakable, but maybe you never travel.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Pour one out for my Chemex, did not survive an encounter with a moving cat.

Happily I'd already drunk the coffee.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

akadajet posted:

percolated coffee tastes loving awful, how the gently caress was that ever a thing?

When your coffee is commodity-grade and cheap, which was how Americans liked it in the 20th century, it doesn't much matter how you brew it, it's going to taste pretty bland.

However! You can definitely brew better or worse with a percolator. It's a different vibe, but done well I occasionally enjoy it.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

drip brewers were expensive and complex and only in diners

The automatic siphon (Sunbeam make a rad one) was the higher-quality home brewer of choice.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

akadajet posted:

my grandparents always used a chemex. I thought it was some kind of fancy and expensive thing

Listen buddy, that was 65 of Canada's own dollars I spent replacing the fucker today, ok? I'll call it fancy and I'll feel like a princeling when I'm using it (i used it this afternoon, it was a fine half-decaf).

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

I offered an afternoon cup to a colleague and was mortified to find I'd almost run out of coffee.

I reneged on my offer but had a nice half-cup myself. I'm a monster.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Making an aeropress at work right now

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

any canadians here got a lead on a replacement aeropress filter cap? ordering one direct from them is about the same price as a whole new kit because of the shipping :(

Eight Ounce Coffee is the main distributor in Canada. Might still be cheaper to get a whole aeropress

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

yippee cahier posted:

get that cart up to $75 with random coffee accessories and beans to get free shipping.

Get you a deluxe mug or two, it makes morning coffee so choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Podima posted:

my hot water comes from a zojirushi hot water dispenser, so I've been just slowly rotating the v60 as i dispense water (on the "slow" setting) - seems pretty needs suiting

i also swirl after each set of pours or do a quick spoon stir if i have one handy

poo poo, that's probably what Hario designed it for.