Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

finally finishing off these awful trader joes beans

condolences, I made the mistake of buying tj beans twice (i figured the first bag must be a fluke); i threw the second bag in the garbage after making two cups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i was trying their darker roasts and i might as well have been stewing tree bark harvested after a forest fire. gave up on them after that but good to know they have some decent stuff.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

eyein' those beans. what roaster is that and how do you like it? been thinking about getting back into roasting my own but i used to use a gas grill with a homemade rotating drum and now i'm apartment living and don't have the space or inclination for that sort of thing.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, moisture, oxygen, and time are what gently caress roasted coffee. being vac-packed and stored in a freezer (assuming itís properly cold and not hovering around 0C) i wouldnít be surprised if itís still decent.

made a serious error and ran out of beans myself this morning. having a strong cup of chai instead. i should try adding cardamom to coffee sometime...

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

every day i use it reinforces that my espresso machine is the best thing i've ever bought for myself :coffeepal:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

ccs: first espresso of the year is good :coffeepal:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

:yeah:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

sippin' a caffŤ mocha 'cause i needed an afternoon pick-me-up and also wanted something a little sweet. very nice on a foggy, drizzly day

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

im trying to do this too. if i don't pay attention i'll haphazardly drink a whole pot and vibrate through the day

honestly one of the reasons i switched to aeropress and espresso. if i can only make small batches at a time i'm less likely to spend the afternoon sweating and vibrating in my chair while seeing the face of god

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

group gasket in my espresso machine was so hard and cracked that i was able to snap it into little pieces with my hands. no idea how it wasn't just spraying me with near boiling water everywhere every time i threw the lever

now replaced with a fancy new silicon gasket, may it deliver me many a cuppa :coffeepal:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K_sahfbdfI

i'm making espresso and learning basic a/v editing so roll that beautiful* bean footage

* bean footage may be blurry and terribly framed

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

sippin' a cappuccino and nibblin' a cookie

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

havin' coffee, making it a
https://i.imgur.com/fFNa8I7.mp4

Nomnom Cookie posted:

which one is coffee snobbier

if you have to ask...

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

our $5,000 fancy office coffee maker made lovely coffee so i don't miss it
and people never cleaned the espresso machine

home coffee best coffee :coffeepal:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

convert coffee to computer touching

a vicious cycle

the things we do for coffee

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

sleep time is good

coffee is what lets me face the rest of it all :coffeepal:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i stared at the ceiling/inside of my eyelids for six hours before deciding that sleep just wasn't happening and got up and made some coffee

https://i.imgur.com/amOsz2k.mp4

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

fisting by many posted:

havin a cube coffee

it's like iced coffee except the ice is made of more coffee

poo poo, now i gotta freeze my cold brew so i can put cold brew ice cubes in my cold brew

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

they're great 'cause you get to see how you hosed up the layering on cappuccinos and such

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

nature is healing

when i eventually get around to looking for a new job i'm gonna have to be sure to get as much wfh as i can get so i can get decent fuckin' coffee

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

this is why you maintain a strategic bean reserve

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

RustyKnight posted:

Monday coffee, tastes good but few more hours of sleep would be better

the faustian bargain

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

"Would you like to sleep?"

yes

"well I didn't expect that have some coffee"

at 5pm :getin:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

main issue with coldbrew is that it requires a lot of coffee (tho it also makes a concentrate so it balances out a bit, if not fully)

graph posted:

i didnt drink coffee today

MODS?!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

also yeah you're not gonna beat good ol' ice for cooling. water has some of the best heat capacity of any substance you're gonna want to put in your drink and melting it takes 80 times as much energy as raising the same amount of liquid water by a single degree.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

aeropresses are great and immersion brewing is the best thing next to espresso and skillful pour-over with good beans

and if you travel the drat thing is neigh indestructible and makes better coffee than you'll find pretty much anywhere outside your home

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

5:20pm update - still havenít had a coffee

mods?!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

fisting by many posted:

need coffee but can't grind because baby is sleeping

maybe I should get an emergency hand grinder

a decent handgrinder is pretty good for knocking out a cup or two of coffee without the noise

a big fluffy towel around an electric grinder also works to muffle the noise pretty well, i've found

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i wish my milk foaming/art skills were that good, drat

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

espresso grind is pretty dang fine and not all grinders will be able to achieve it (even with a "turkish" setting). the puck should be pretty dang firm after tamping but it's not a rock. iirc the typical advice is around 15-20lbs of pressure which is substantial but on the very edge of really "putting your weight into it"

what problem are you actually experiencing? quick/gushing flow? no flow?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

puck for espresso should basically be one of these (maybe a little less frangible)

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

graph posted:

i simply scoop the coffee out of the container

mods?!

accidentally bought a bag of "french roast" instead of what i normally get and this poo poo is so charred i can't grind it fine enough for espresso it's just a gusher every time

into the freezer for emergency french/aeropress i guess

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

quarantinethepast posted:

I've developed the opinion that if a coffee doesn't taste good drinking it black and straight, it's not worth drinking at all. Forget about sugar or creamer.

:same:

i mean i still primarily drink cappuccinos because black coffee destroys my stomach and i like a nice sweetened cold brew on a hot summer day but my tolerance for bad coffee has plummeted over the years and if it needs a bunch of sugar and milk to be palatable i ain't botherin'

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

a macchiato is nice when you want another cuppa but don't want a full cappuccino or a straight shot

hope everyone had a good coffee this morning :coffeepal:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

post hole digger posted:

I'm drinking a cup of coffee.