Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

havin' a cofe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

really enjoying the morning cof

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What price range are you looking at? Generally for espresso you want consistent finer grinds which requires expensive burrs.

this

also espresso roast is going to vary between beans and roasters to be whatever makes the best tasting espresso tbqh

i assume you mean for grinding dark and oilier beans?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

2nd cofe

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

actionjackson posted:

is posting about tea allowed

got some looseleaf black tea, white tea, and herbal tea

I'm going to get a super fancy electric tea kettle where you can set the temperature

no

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

obviously yes. i recommend the oxo gooseneck. itís got a good design and is very easy to use. i assume they sell it there but i donít know. canít say enough good thing about it.

the breville works but is slower because itís a larger quantity of water

plus with goosenecks you can easily do pourovers making this post thread appropriate

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I'm getting this one

https://www.zwilling.com/us/zwilling-enfinigy-cool-touch-kettle-pro-53101-500/53101-500-0.html

it's gotta look sharp if it's going to sit on the countertop most of the time

obviously you could use it for coffee if you want to get one of those pour over filters you put on top of your mug

Is there an actual tea thread somewhere

nah this is a bad kettle for pourovers because a gooseneck kettle provides a constant rate stream regardless of what angle you pour it in along with better control. looks ok though i guess.

youíre not interested in that so it doesnít matter i assume tho. six temperature settings are probably enough for tea although i do like having the flexibility of anything up to 100įC

thereís a thread in gws but gently caress the haters this is a dirty hot water thread for all comers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

2 me irl 4 me irl

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ansible Adams posted:

I use a barazata encore and an aeropress to make coffee every day op

one of the best grind to dollar ratios

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lmao jesus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shoeberto posted:

Just one more sleep until coffee! :allears:

eff that havin one right now

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i have been cold brewing canadian breakfast tea in the fridge over night lately and itís delightful. strength without bitterness.

more on thread topic however

cofe1

cofe 2

cofe 3

we ran out of beans yesterday so since i woke up too early i roasted this morning. i try to avoid that since coffee is never as good on the first day but this bean is unusually drinkable immediately after roasting. with that said the flavour has already improved by this point and tomorrow itíll be excellent.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ansible Adams posted:

I am ready for a decent drip machine but dont have anywhere to put it in this tiny lil apartment of mine.

when you're ready, good options include the breville precision brewer, a bonavita, or a moccamaster

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

if this is a work thing and you donít want to deal with brewing stuff the answer is to get a nespresso. they make totally reasonable coffee if you insist on getting a discrete coffee unit device. most other pod things are awful.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

man getting good at home coffee makes me despise getting coffee out. like i make better pizza than most places but i donít getting pizza if youíre out with friends or whatever. but the delta between bad and good coffee is so vast it just makes me think about what i could be having instead

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

nah caffeine doesnít affect me much whether i have it or not. i drink it explicitly because i think it tastes good

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

RustyKnight posted:

every time I drink coffee outside of home I just drown it in milk and sugar tbh

personally iím not too into sweetened coffee but i do like some cream now and again

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i will drink starbucks from time to time. or have, itís been well over a year at this point. but i stick to iced stuff on hot days and ignore all their fancy reserve and clover poo poo because itís all way over roasted.

if i had to buy their beans because i was someplace with no roasters i wouldnt be too upset with the maroon guatemala bag. but thatís it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

they just do it on their clover machines which iím sorry but do impress me. also any reserve beans ive ever bought have been roasted insanely dark and the prices are obscene. simply not worth it over their normal coffee imo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

lord funk posted:

one thing i'll admit is that milk drinkers probably have a better experience with starbucks. charred beans are okay if you froth in a bunch of sweet whole milk

but i like my coffee like i like my coffee: black

yeah i donít know but just hearing the orders when iím there makes it seem like black canít be a huge majority of their orders. i like some cream in my morning coffee but if iím getting a bux in the summers i tend to stick to black iced americanos.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

looking forward to tomorrow morning's cup :coffee:

i had three shots at 8pm after my run and i'm totally ready for bed now (i am aware that's probably about equal to a cup of brew)

even when i don't have any caffeine for weeks at a time, all i get from drinking too much is a headache or stomachache. where is this magical wakefulness people talk about

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I seem to have hit a late morning slump. Only enough beans left for one coffee. Do I have it before exercise or after exercise?

probably too late now but after imo as a reward and potentially also so you don't have to poop midworkout

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

solution: don't drink too much

well yes i try to avoid that

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Midjack posted:

that was me up until a few years ago then megadoses gave me headaches and somewhat abruptly after that started caffeine after 9pm meant i wasn't sleeping that night. enjoy it, but keep that in the back of your head if you start having trouble falling asleep.

i don't sleep too well anyway, though that doesn't change whether i've had caffeine that month or not. it's just never affected me much at all.

still, it's something i keep an eye on

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

get a refurb base breville unit and use ground beans. works great!

this is not a bad way to go but the solenoid valve is prone to failure ime.

op i know this is not necessarily what you want to hear but i would look for a deal on a gaggia classic/pro. they are not cheap but you can often find refurb, used or sales for a good deal (which is why i bring it up as even if you donít want to get one now iíd keep an eye out). it will last forevvvvvvver. then later on get a capresso with as suggested preground beans or honestly just use your cheap grinder in the interim. itís not as good as a purpose built but itís way better than say starbucks.

also a reasonable affordable option depending on how often you want espresso is to get a nespresso. and if you mostly drink americanos or donít necessarily require the crema or the super intensity of a straight espresso shot, an aeropress is a solid, low-cost choice

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

If you go nespresso don't be suckered in by the reusable pods idea, they are a pain and never really work properly.

tbh i think that would defeat the point of the system even if they worked ok

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I appreciate the info; that sorta thing is possible for me, ...I just want hope to get something near it without so much money

something that breaks in a year isnít worth it, so I know I gotta spend big if I get a real espresso machine. it would get used multiple times daily

I have an aeropress and kinda hate it. Iíve had nespresso a lot and donít really enjoy that either

yeah i mean itís hard to figure out where the right spend is. we have had a super automatic and itís fine but itís a pain in terms of figuring out when something goes wrong, so i donít really ever recommend those. the real question imo is the quality delta between the really cheap (but ďrealĒ) espresso machines youíll see from rando brands someplace like walmart vs entry level aficionado machines like the breville vs high quality (but still ďcheapĒ compared to what a lot of coffee nerds try to push) like the gaggia classic pro. but $450 usd is a big ask!!

anyway discounting the grinder for the moment iím not sure thereís a huge difference once you hit a certain level in terms of flavour but you probably do get a big difference in terms of durability and ease of repair. you also get more differentiation in terms of steam but i literally never use the steam wand on any machine really.

haha too bad about the aeropress. i like it but it is kind of a pain. cheap though!

out of curiosity what did you not like about the nespresso? (no judgment we all have our likes) i find the capsules to be pretty varied in terms of how much i like it. certainly as good as the basic superautomatics you find at small restaurants and the like.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

minivanmegafun posted:

hey coffee snobs

i'm also a coffee snob and have a baratza encore and a variable bonavita gooseneck kettle and a chemex and an aeropress and a vacpot and a v60

i really like coffee, coffee is good

i also just started on new ~*~*~* brain meds *~*~*~*~ and lots of caffeine and them don't work well!

what decaf beans are worthwhile, should i just hit up my local intelligentsia and give that a try

you might have good luck with that. i find that even most good roasters put out what i'd consider really subpar decaf beans, and most way overroast them in an attempt to get some flavour. if you're up for doing your own roasting you can get really great decaf green beans in (it's not like your local roast is decaffing them themselves). there are a few mail-order companies you can try, but i can't recommend any since i mostly just roast my own and haven't tried them.

with all that said, i do buy a bag of level ground decaf from time-to-time when i run out. it's good enough, or at least the stuff i have had, that i consider it reasonable coffee, not merely "good-for-decaf" coffee.

they're a canadian company and do all the standard feel-good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/LEVEL-GROUND-Jitter-Ground-Coffee/dp/B00V69MEJ4

edit: just noticed that's a link to pre-ground stuff. assuming you're in the us, their beans may be available elsewhere, so worth getting if you see imo, as it's a good decaf.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 19, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I've had most of my enjoyable moka pot roasts with the cafe bustelo bricks they sold at aldi. I still haven't figured out the magic grind size required for moka pot and always end up with bad coffee.

you may just like using robusta in it then

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

americanoing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

first drink: americano with the tanzanians...almost out and i should really finish roasting the other beans i have before i buy another bag, regrettably

second drink: cold brew canadian breakfast tea blend from a local shoppe

i wish the decaf beans would hurry up and get here, i want to do a cold brew decaf as temperatures start to rise

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Ethiopian coffee is lovely. Though I've only had it from a cafetiŤre, guess it may be too light for espresso.

you can make great espresso from basically any region. also, thereís a lot of variation within specific areas that we typically associate with coffee, which can make an impact, especially vis-ŗ-vis things like elevation

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

got my drip filter machine out at the weekend, been having a pot every morning since. itís making happy gurgles behind me as i type this :)

the happiest sounds

having an americano with a tetch of cream

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cofelevenses

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Ansible Adams posted:

kind of glad i dont have a drip machine becuase i would go thru beans so fast if i did

i go thru much faster thx to espresso tbqh

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

I ended up buying a Robot instead of a Flair. Fancy bean juice incoming.

curious to hear your xp on this, i have been considering getting one for travelling like when we go for an extended holiday with at the inlaws

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

just had a nightcofe

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Just woke up. Time for a coffee

those mugs should come with a chart that lets you calculated the pantone shade of your cofe itself

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

havin a cofe with my buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i'm down, i'd already have the torch, may as well use it for multiple things