Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I bought a manual adjustable coffee grinder. things are about to get serious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

which one did you get

i finally ordered a sette 270wi today, it had been on my mind for a few weeks

I just got this one as I needed a non-super expensive thing (I'm not yet a huge coffee drinker) that also didn't look like rear end if I wanted it to stay on the counter

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Weeks after buying my grinder and finishing some left over pre-ground stuff, I've finally managed (after 3 brewings) to get some very good manually ground french-pressed coffee today.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I'm getting my artisan game alright. Manually ground beans through a french press, for good waste-free daily coffee.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

had two coffees earlier today trying to survive an 8h meeting marathon with 13 people in a small room that got up to 27C

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

went for some french roast today and gently caress it give me the darkest bitterest coffee possible

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I think I perfected my dark roast brewin' game and now it's pretty dang good coffee

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

been having a cold and my sinuses have been dry as hell lately so I've been held away from coffee to prioritize more hydrating drinks and it sucks

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Made my first stovetop espresso / moka pot coffee. Not bad as-is, not great once turned to americano (taste is not super present, but not watery either). Will have to adjust a bit, and I'm sure using a french roast is not ideal either, but it will likely be smoother on the stomach longer term than french press coffee daily.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Moka coffee isn't really espresso, it's stronger than regular coffee but somewhat less so than proper espresso IMO?

yeah. I mean it's not as strong as espresso (too low pressure), but it's still stronger than most other stuff as far as I can tell. I got a 3 cups moka pot and I used roughly half of it for a single cup of americano to compensate. I'll have to play with proportions a bit more, probably a slightly coarser grain and a lower stove temperature to get more of the taste/texture I'm looking for

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

moka pot americano game improving. Yesterday had a lot of strength but fewer particulates than Monday. Today has no apparent particulates and a lot of flavor, but a bit of strength missing. Might be a thing with not having the freshest grind since I was in a bit of a rush. By the week-end I should have a very decent cup going since it's already not bad at all.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Went again with the moka pot coffee americano, but I think I do prefer the french press for the strongest brews. Will probably go back and stick there unless I get heartburn or particularly want an alright espresso.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc posted:

Went again with the moka pot coffee americano, but I think I do prefer the french press for the strongest brews. Will probably go back and stick there unless I get heartburn or particularly want an alright espresso.

trip report: I think I just got bad coffee beans this time around because the french press was way underwhelming and the moka pot was objectively nicer. Better on the stomach as well.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I think I just realized that my moka pot americanos always felt a bit weak because the first thing I did after each brew was try the espresso directly before making the americano, and the taste was strong enough to just dull my taste to what's after.

anyway, having a coffee.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

I make my moka coffee with roughly equal proportion of coffee/hot water and it’s pretty much perfect

Yeah, I'm at roughly 1/4 to 1/3 coffee in this one, but I'm using the darkest french roast I could find (enough that it's just not good with a french press). I'll have to re-gauge everything when I try some actually good coffee that's supposed to have flavours and stuff.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

dark coffee. 'Tis good.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

writing from a coffee shop with some p. good chemex coffee and an almond croissant

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Ended up getting an electric burr grinder since it’s faster than the manual one I posted earlier and makes mrs mononcqc use it too. Also one of our friends started a micro-roasting shop. End result is that through that and a French press this household is now 98% off pods and gets much better coffee for it :toot:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

didn’t think of using the manual grinder for spices. good idea.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Good Sphere posted:

laws of thermodynamics; heat transfer will be the same either way, with the exception of the milk or cream getting warmer after pouring it first. so maybe pouring it afterwards will make your coffee colder, but there's virtually no difference

ok just pour it after

the old English tea debates covered this as well, and in practice the big argument was: the poors have lovely cups so they pour the milk first to avoid too strong of a thermal shock with hot tea that would crack the ceramic or porcelain or whatever material, and the rich can just go hog wild with their quality material and pour the milk last.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

3A

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

french press coffee

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

got a bit of cold brew

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Found out we had year-old low quality pre-ground store bought coffee in the pantry. It smells awful. So I did the reasonable thing and tried making a cup with a moka pot, and the loving thing managed to brew a thing that doesn't taste absolutely awful (like meh suburb restaurant drip maybe).

Moka pots are loving magic at elevating something that a French press would make an awful taste with.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Had some dalgona coffee this morning; this is good stuff.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

drinking some french pressed salvadorian beans

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

just had some french pressed salvadorian coffee

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

having a mcdonalds coffee

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Pardot posted:

better than starbucks

why not tim hortons though?

tim hortons' coffee is loving garbage and has been so for years now. It mostly happened at the same time mcdonalds started doing the McCafe thing, to the point there's countless urban legends that Tim Hortons abandoned their supplier for a new in-house blend and McD went to the old supplier for tim hortons to get a variant and they just swapped.

Mostly Tim Horton's has been on a decades-long downhill slope starting from getting all their pastries done on-site to being shipped from a central kitchen in Ontario, and it accelerated further downwards after being bought by Burger King a few years ago which had two effects; first it had tim hortons switch their menu to "try to put bacon and more beef and make variants out of every meal that nobody ever asked for" culminating with a "steak breakfast wrap and sandwich". There's been a constant attempt to increase margins and there's been a distinct decline in quality.

The second one is that being bought up by a US company removed the sheen of canadiana attached to the brand, even though the ads kept going with "drinking tim hortons is the essence of the canadian experience." This meant that they no longer had the brand loyalty they used to have and would have people paper over defects.

Tim Horton's is freefalling and it is fully deserved

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I do prefer Starbucks to Tim Hortons 'round here.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

this might be heresy but I just got some keurig mcdonald's coffee and it's needs suiting

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

made some dalgona earlier this morning

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Fib posted:

How did you make it?
I tried it several times, doing it by hand I couldn’t make it the right texture and using a little motorised whisk it just coated my entire kitchen with the stuff

Literally picked 1 tbsp of granulated sugar, 1tbsp of instant coffee, and 1tbsp of cold tap water (most recipes advise for 2tbsp of each) and used a motorized hand mixer at its lowest speed for ~4-5 minutes in a small stainless mixing bowl. Then I just transferred it over the wide glass of milk in the pic.

From videos I've seen, doing it by hand can take upwards of 15 minutes of continuous whisking so I decided not to do that. I'd just say to pick a container with higher edges to use with a hand mixer to prevent the mess.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

haveing a weak rear end coffee because I'm not that in the mood for one but if I don't take some caffeine I'm gonna have a withdrawal headache

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

made some moka pot americano (50/50) with older coffee that was starting to be stale.

Always sorta amazed how a moka pot can make subpar grains acceptable (though for fresh stuff it doesn't come close to the french press to get the most out of it).

Starting to be jittery now though because this brew is strong.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hopefully he boils it for at least 10 mins or something

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

drinking some dalgona

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

having a small cold brew on a cold winter day

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

drinking some americano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I don't have pourover-specific coffee equipment (aside from a gooseneck boiler I got as a gift) so I cut the top half of an empty milk carton, jammed it upside down on top of my french press's glass container, put a filter in, then made myself a pourover and the result is v. good.