Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i used to think decaf was pointless but lately i find myself craving something to sip on in the afternoon after i've already got a day-long buzz going from my morning and brunch cup

i understand it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

had one of the most powerful coffees: a double-shot iced latte following a 10-minute power nap

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

been making macchiatos lately

I don't know why adding espresso to milk instead of milk to espresso changes everything but it does

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i dunno what it's like in the us but in korea the starbucks "reserve" (for the locations that had it) was its own little counter and they'd make you a proper glass of coffee, with the carefully weighed grinds and the precisely heated water and all that. you could choose chemex, siphon or regular pour-over and then they'd only let specially certified baristas make it. definitely worth paying an extra dollar.

i lived near a flagship location and once got served by a 3* coffee ambassador. i guess he was one of the highest ranked starbucks baristas in the country. anyway he made a good cuppa.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i will vouch for nespresso making perfectly decent coffee

i only wish it was easier to sample their flavours, they've got like 60 different varieties and 50 of them are only available as 10-packs from the nespresso store

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

been having those single serve pourover things twice a day while quarantining. they're not bad as far as single serve coffees go, just wish they were a little bigger because you can only pour a third of a cup with what you get.

today i broke down and got one of those 1L ice coffees that's half sugar delivered for my afternoon fix :coffeepal:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Midjack posted:

at work we have a bunn brewer and feed it with costco folgers. it's bad but sixty bucks for the whole year, and someone made it worse by dumping a stale can of cafe du monde into it.

the taste was unbelievable and not in a good way.

edit: sixty bucks for the whole year, not per cup

at my old office we paid certainly substantially more for some enterprise coffee called "muldoon's own"

it was the worst i've ever had, including coffee where I've had a mistake brewing it and spilled grounds, or that time I drained the drip tray to see if it was passable for iced coffee (it was)

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

havin a cube coffee

it's like iced coffee except the ice is made of more coffee

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/RussianMemesLtd/status/1402167719970185216

boss makes a dollar, i make a dime :coffeepal:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

bump_fn posted:

in germany if you order an iced coffee they will bring you coffee with some scoops of ice cream

i went to one cafe that had a "german coffee" and i didn't know what it was so they explained it was coffee with ice cream in it so I ordered it

it had an entire *chocolate dipped cone* plopped on top

it was good

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

bought these beans just for the label (also because it was $11/kg). the name is a bit presumptuous, but it could definitely make coffee minister.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I remember the first tweet, I didn't know there was more :stonk:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mediaphage posted:

put grounds in a bowl
add water
sit for a day
drink coffee

i mean it’s basically just slow coffee

it's slow coffee once and instant coffee until the batch runs out

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i've never broken a french press but i've also never had a particularly good cup from one. maybe I never figured out the right size & brew time.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mediaphage posted:

what about it did you find unpalatable?

i found my french press would usually come out bland, and also contain a bit of sludge. if i brewed it for longer it'd be more bitter but still lack discernible flavour. using coarse freshly ground beans and boiling water.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

i have one of these and it does a pretty accurate and consistent grind but it is indeed extremely loud and also it makes a mess

all of this, but i love it

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

made coffee for myself and my wife and she didn't want any

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

i finally acquired a gooseneck jug so that I could attempt a real pour over coffee for the first time in my life

googled some stuff, found wildly different suggestions for grind size, temperatures and pour time, picked a grind at random

had to do some geometry to figure out how much water was in my ice cubes because the tray has multiple sizes and what are you going to do, weigh ice? (yes, that's exactly what you should do. ice is matter. it has mass.)

realized my $15 kettle doesn't actually go to 100C but maybe gets to 91 or 92 if you run it a couple more times after the first auto-shutoff

discovered it's actually quite hard to maintain a 2 minute pour without running out of water, even with the gooseneck

anyway somehow absolutely nailed it, strongest least bitter most flavourful coffee i've ever had that wasn't made by a cafe barista (and better than a few that were)

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

91-92 territory might be normal? since getting 100 would imply measuring the temperature of the steam

if the vessel is open then a lot of heat is leaving via the steam escaping and leaving behind the cooler water to be measured

also if you're not at sea level then the boil temp is lower

yeah that makes sense. I got concerned since a lot of sites said you want 91-96 and I thought "oh no my kettle doesn't go that hot". i'm near sea level. maybe it's cooling a lot while I'm fiddling with the thermometer.

food scale is essential!

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

fart simpson posted:

sometimes but not always. so like, coca cola is 可口可乐 (ke kou ke le) stylized in a similar cursive as the english logo, but tim hortons is just a big TIMS

in korea there is "coca-cola" but also 펩시 (pepsi)

i guess that's weird

another funny thing: all the cosmetic stores like innisfree, etude house, olive young are written and branded in english... except in seoul's touristy insadong area, where those storefronts are in hangeul with a generic font

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

mediaphage posted:

holy poo poo i just made a two shot decaf americano that was frankly just really good coffee?? the roast looks black as sin (but doesn’t taste it) and it’s been ominously cracking about a bean every twenty minutes for hours now

i’ve mentioned this before but i thought some of the fast food branding in france was pretty good. mcdo does a localized french monopoly game. they ran a tour of the states promotion when i was there in college some time ago. i ordered. gently caress. i dunno the mcwyoming? the mcwisconsin? it was a mcnugget except inside was tomatoes and cheese instead of chicken. went with the heineken on the menu lol.

also i dunno if this has changed in the intervening era but the large drink was a whopping 20oz

can you still get a beer at mcdonald's in france because that was the tip top

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

need coffee but can't grind because baby is sleeping

maybe I should get an emergency hand grinder

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

anyone here with first hand decent experiences?

the "starbucks reserve" tends to make a decent hand drip, in my experience.

in general though, if you're not craving 100 grams of sugar, no.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

having a second cup... and it's still morning :twisted:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

my morning coffee came with a poem

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

sage advice from my latest depleted bag of beans

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Lady Radia posted:

ive begun to really appreciate americano's. like an iced coffee but tastier

sometimes i'll start making a coffee and then suddenly i'll feel too lazy to deal with the milk

but there is americano, and everything is okay.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

quarantinethepast posted:

I've developed the opinion that if a coffee doesn't taste good drinking it black and straight, it's not worth drinking at all. Forget about sugar or creamer.

gonna spite you by having a good ol double-double for my second cup

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

MindSet posted:

use like a 1:4 ratio, same gind you use for french press (I have a Niche zero which is for espresso, so for me that's a full rotation backwards past the largest size on the meter, basically the largest grind it can do) steep overnight in the fridge, filter. Dilute what you make with ice water when you drink it because that poo poo is concentrated and will send you to the moon.

I usually do 1:8 and 18hrs and it's okay.

1:4 and 14? sounds interesting. That's a lot of coffee though. But I will give it a try.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

tried the 4:1 cold brew (12.5 hours)

yields a disappointing amount of concentrate after much of the water is absorbed by grounds. mixed 5:2 with water though and it's very full-flavoured and powerful. tastiest batch yet.

i wonder if 6:1 for brewing and 2:1 serving would taste just as good while theoretically yielding more coffee

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Midjack posted:

taking the shortcut path to power and hey it's pride month too!

i prefer the knockoff with a much cooler boss

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

hmm... tweaked my cold brew a bit, went from 30 grind/ 12h to 32 grind/ 13.5h. feels a little less bold and flavourful than the last batch, i wouldn't have thought that slightly larger grind would need much more time to extract. still good though.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

worked outside the house today, remembered to bring a coffee with me

problem is i forgot to bring a second coffee

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

lousy hat posted:

made my first cold brew batch of the summer. ground a bit over a kg of beans, and now I’ve got about 3L of concentrate in the fridge. looking forward to accidentally over-caffeinating myself this week.

also running that many beans through the grinder at once made for a good excuse to clean it so that’s nice.

and i thought I was a madman for making a 500mL batch

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

filling my moka pot dangerously close to the pressure valve. am i going to risk creating a bomb just for an extra 2mL of coffee? yes, obviously.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

it's that time

when the morning coffee has transitioned from "sip and chill" temperature to "drink and work" temperature

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

on my third cup, feeling fine

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

having a cup of hand drip

it feels like cheating how easy it is to make coffee this good

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

ThePopeOfFun posted:

having (less) coffee. even 15g dark roast gives me the jitters, fills brain with all thoughts at once. will use this as an excuse to buy more Onyx beans probbly

if you're not too picky about flavour you can always cut it with decaf

for me part of the relaxation/routine is having a giant mug to sip on. doesn't necessarily have to be loaded with caffeine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

bean bag is empty

both the bean tin and bean hopper are full but empty bean bags still make me nervous :ohdear: