Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

looking to get a burr grinder since according to the internet i've been doing it wrong all this time with a bar grinder for my french press

any recommendations or will any poo poo do the job?
*pouring random coffee into cheap coffee machine* burr grinder? idk, just put your beans in a bag and slam it a bit with a rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

i ran out of coffee and am too lazy to go to store atm so i just mixed leftover coffee with water passed through coffee leftovers

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

bought coffee today

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

akadajet posted:

lol who uses a windows laptop these days?
people who love competently written operating systems

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

Visual GNUdio posted:

Also roasting a rad espresso blend, profile is tight and the whole thing is on autopilot (28 revisions later, but hey it's where I want it to be now)

:eyepop: is that a computer-controlled coffee machine? what's your setup

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

Visual GNUdio posted:

This explains the deal. Laptop is running Artisan for process control which talks to the roaster via USB. Artisan both records sensor data returned from the roaster and controls the heat/fan/drop/stirrer devices on the roaster in response to a profile I've created for the specific bean. It runs mostly automated but I occasionally need to make adjustments using those buttons and sliders. Because Windows owns and supports actual touchscreens instead of emojibars, I do that by mashing my finger on the screen.
:eyepop: this is the first unreasonably expensive thing i actually want, it just screams "owns"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

http://journals.aps.org/pre/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevE.85.046117

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

how??? mine gets super static-y and the grounds just get repelled out everywhere and the cat hair sticks to it like a magnet. i mostly make drip so it's not even a fine grind

spray some water on beans before grinding, this is an air humidity thing

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

yeah, i do one-two sprays on my 20-30g doses with this small (2” tall) spray bottle i got somewhere

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

it's 4pm I'm gonna have an ill advised coffee

it’s 4am here so would it be better or worse advised

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

Midjack posted:

is it the start of your day, or the end?

end, i handed in the proverbial office key earlier today

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

im enjoying april brewer for single coffee cups

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

mediaphage posted:

i bought a $400 returned coffee grinder for $30 (sette 30)

turns out the owner had installed the bottom half of the grinder backwards. works great.

lmao, how does one even gently caress burr placement up like that

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

it’s 4pm and i have, in fact, not had a coffee yet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

5:20pm update - still haven’t had a coffee

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

Podima posted:

they'll make you a mod of yospos at this rate

hell no

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

Zam Wesell posted:

just got myself an aeropress. this thing is awesome.

how fine do you grind your beans when using this? so far I've tried almost-espresso level and closer-to-mocca-master-level, both quite different but still great tasting. seems like you can't go too wrong with this thing

depends on recipe, but for the most common methods (just using it, and the inverted method - which i can personally recommend) you want it medium-fine, kind of like table salt

in general though it’s pretty forgiving so you can gently caress around and 1) make it finer if you don’t feel flavour or 2) make it coasters if it’s hard to push or too punchy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

huh, coffee teabags exist. TIL

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

fart simpson posted:

first time someone gave me one of those i thought it was like a teabag, didnt know the top opened to use it as a pourover. i just steeped it with the closed off cloth bag in hot water for like 5 minutes and thought drat this is the weakest, worst coffee ive ever had

hahahahah :rip:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Christmas coffee best coffee

6pm Christmas coffee, can confirm

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

some rules of thumb for grind size

water temperature, again in really simplified terms - 95c is "standard", but in practice the range is roughly from 80c (very dark roasts) to 99c (very light roasts)

for water weight, you can just set up your pour over on a food scale. keep in mind that there's going to be like 1-3 second lag for a generic kitchen scale, while it registers the increase and stabilizes. also, ideally, don't flood your scale like i did a few months ago :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

mediaphage posted:

i’m sorry, you posted that in the coffee thread

candians drink coffee from bags

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

fart simpson posted:

someone bought me a tim hortons americano the other day, here in china. it was alright i guess.

out of curiosity, do foreign brands get localised in china? for example, in russia they rewrite names into russian

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

interesting, i had incorrectly assumed that everything gets localised

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

fart simpson posted:

i think the brands that were here a long time ago and/or take the market seriously tend to localize their name and logo into chinese, but the brands that are just trying to make a quick buck dont

e: also english is seen as more "cool" than chinese so some of the high end brands like prada and rolex are probably deliberately not localizing to play into that cool/exclusive image of being in english

ee also had that “cool” factor, but what it results in is random use of english words that make you look like an utter dunce, e.g., lame kids drink apple “juice” but you drink apple fresh

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

the last one hasn’t, large drinks in most of european fast food ive had don’t exceed 500ml

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

mediaphage posted:

in the states that's smaller than a medium, the large is often 900mL, some chains will go bigger.

i know, i briefly lived in puerto rico. my first american large cup was a 1.75l monstrosity at firehouse subs. it was made out of plastic, because paper would’ve not held that much liquid. that same time and place was my first encounter with a coca cola freestyle machine (at the time i had no idea those exist). im fairly sure i had like a gallon of soda right there, and walked back home with a full cup

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

i don’t think ive ever seen ground coffee sold in a form factor other than a vacuum brick

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

No coffee cans in Latvia?

only instant coffee comes in cans, stuff out of such a bottom of the barrel that it’s even made locally

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

mediaphage posted:

ah, i would wager the primary form of home coffee purchase in the us and canada is in this sort of form factor:

designed for standard cheap drip machines

i see, that’s entirely different from how stuff is here

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

anyone here with first hand decent experiences?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

US$575 lmao

I got my refurb Breville at a place on Bloor St for like CAN$150

mediaphage is right, that is pretty much the cheapest home espresso machine one should spend money on. it’s not a cheap affair - but also it’s not really that essential to have espresso at home

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

imo below gaggia you can come quite close by just spending a few afternoons with a $30 aeropress, it can get you a fairly good fauxpresso

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

between a decent filtered coffee and an espresso crime imo choice is straightforward :shrug: most machines in "cheaper than gaggia" segment can't even muster necessary water pressure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

mediaphage posted:

the brevilles do make a good shot. but they’re more prone to failure, harder to repair, and literally impossible to modify if you want to add features.

i have a breville and like it too but the gaggia is better and will last longer.

i’ve already had to replace the solenoid on the breville once; the line is prone to failure on them

if that’s all you can afford they’re obviously the best option. but if someone can pay the gaggia is very good and will get you very close to machines costing several times the price.

the one sage (what they’re called here) machine that i know is really nice in its price category is dual boiler, but that’s like triple the bambino plus/gaggia classic pro, quadruple basic bambino. since a lot of people itt live in na, used gcp in minor disrepair will likely undercut anything breville sells (their cheapest machine here is 350 euro), while losing, imo, only given heavy milk stonk consumption

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

but yeah my comment was targeting what i see on local shelves, which is an occasional random manufacturer 200 euro semi auto that’s probably going to fall apart at 9 bar water pressure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

fisting by many posted:

the "starbucks reserve" tends to make a decent hand drip, in my experience.

in general though, if you're not craving 100 grams of sugar, no.

i don’t think there’s a single starbucks in 2 country radius from me. i was wondering about an espresso machine called “decent”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

that said, i have special snowflake taste according to modern sensibilities, so ive been ordering everything vaguely hopeful i can find. basically, i hate sour coffee but can perfectly tolerate a bitter cup, which is precisely the opposite of what 3rd wave coffee people value. we have some genuinely good local roasters here in latvia, but all they sell is yigracheffe, acacia, and geisha, and my coffee taste is like “hungover italian on a wednesday morning, 1974, colourised”

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

i have a few more bookmarks to try, but at the moment i have one okay option from, unsurprisingly, italy, but the only “wow this is great” coffee for 2021 for me was a seasonal espresso blend that’s out of stock. at least i know which cultivars/farming process i should pay more attention to now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 14, 2013

fisting by many posted:

in general though, if you're not craving 100 grams of sugar, no.

btw this reminded me of my first visit to starbucks, on a scientific conference in puerto rico. i accidentally ordered extra large ice cream float that was 1800 kcal (checked later), thought i ordered coffee, and couldn’t figure out for 5 minutes how to drink it, since i had only been given a straw and i was dead convinced it’s just a cup of ice cream

i wonder how deluded did i come off to people in the goon slack i frequented at the time, hysterically posting photos from starbucks at 7am eastern and asking stuff like “so guys, uhm, where are table spoons traditionally kept in smaller starbucks cafes”