Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my grinder and coffee machine are on opposite ends of the counter since one needs to be refilled with water each time and the other strongly dislikes water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

haven’t had a full pour scenario but there have been some splashes occasionally and figured it was better safe than sorry

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

if you’re thinking of getting a metal aeropress filter it’s nice as something to try out on days when you want a chewy coffee with more fines, similar to a French press. but if you’re deciding which metal filter to get then they seem to all be the same

I used to have two metal aeropress filters with different hole sizes, now I can only find one of them and suspect that I inadvertently threw the other one away a week or two ago with a puck disposal. but I couldn’t tell any difference between them anyway so whatever

also cleanup with a metal filter is annoying because it means you need to take this hot piece of metal off your puck before tossing the puck

anyway those are my metal aeropress filter tips cya

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

nah, there are at least two designs, the “able” which is a solid disk with holes, and the “kaffeologie” which is a mesh of metal wires

the able disc puts up more resistance but admits more grit, and the mesh is easier to push and only admits the finest of fines

I like the kaffeologie better but I use the able at my parents’ pretty often

oh I just meant the two different hole sizes for the able filters, didn’t know there were others. between the two able options I hadn’t seen any diff, in any case

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol is 48 United States Dollars a normal price for the kaffeologie filter or is it just regular amazon gouge

the able ones I got were like $5 each

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

are there espresso machines where the head is just heated directly, as opposed to the cargo-culted commercial style ones that circulate heated water

seems like that’d be a lot faster to warm up and more reliable, especially for home use

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a whole central business district???

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

baratza sette 270wi

sure it’s 3x the price of those other grinders and is also kinda loud but you never need to measure your beans again

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

psiox posted:

love an aeropress, make sure to experiment with inverted brewing methods

epic thissery, I only do inverted because I’d rather have a closed container to mix in and prefer not needing to worry about scraping the filter paper when stirring

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

spreading out the beans: set the grinder to 50g instead of 60

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i have a stainless carafe where the hole in the top is too small for my hand to fit through, so over the last year or so it's had a slowly darkening interior from all the coffee stains/residue

after some trial and error, turns out the correct way to clean it is to dump some powdered dishwasher soap into it, then fill it with water and let it soak overnight, then scrub the inside a bit with a dish brush then rinse it a ton to make sure the soap is washed out

tried the same thing with vinegar as well as liquid dish soap and neither of them worked. apparently needs to be powdered for some reason

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i don’t hate the environment enough to use pods

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

why are some beans staticy when i grind them and others not??

seems to differ a lot on brand, thinking some of them do something to reduce the static, maybe its just adding a bit of moisture idk

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ugh these beans taste like cardboard, at least this bag is only 500g so should be done with it in a week or so

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

qsvui posted:

do any of you put honey in your coffee

honey in nz is like bbq sauce in kansas city, you'd never have known there were so many types but then you go to the supermarket and there's a whole section for them

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

condiments in contrast

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

the grinder measures its output to a tenth of a gram and it was totally worth paying extra to not do it myself every morning

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

ccs: definitely not getting a good cup

grind setting is as close as it gets on a hario hand grinder

hario v60

water boiling a f

beans excellent

i even know whatthe end result should be and what i get is flat and thin tasting with not much sweetness or flavor

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

All of them bread machines?

rice bread, liquid bread, thermos bread, etc

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i have a little hand grinder that i used in the office for 14g aeropress doses, back when we were going to an office. it was actually pretty pleasant and i usually beat the tea kettle heating up

but grinding out a whole 60g with a hand grinder for a pot of coffee in the morning would be a real pita

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i have been known to chew on a bean occasionally

it's actually a p accurate way to preview how the coffee is gonna taste

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

lol dear lord if you're hiking then just make some ziploc instant directly in the jetboil and save a couple kilos across the drip coffee setup, hand grinder, kettle, mugs, filters, and doilies. then get a portable filter to fill the space with

also i guarantee they're just dumping the grounds/filters at the campsite

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

or perhaps do whatever you want because you're the one carrying the pack?

oh yeah sure

except for the part you omitted: dumping the grounds and filters

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

RustyKnight posted:

tell me you are joking. Anyway here's the method if somebody doesn't know:

i do this, except noscale420 and rather than holding the cup on there, i just flip it over over the cup so that any drops fall into the cup

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ive been passively wanting a fancy rocket espresso machine for a while but the fancy rocket espresso machine store has been backordered for the model i want since march

can't really afford it at the moment so it's probably for the best

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

President Beep posted:

i’m gonna have to wait until i get to the office and then it’s gonna be the nasty poo poo out of the drip machine

prodigy - funky poo poo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

also have a sette and it's very loud, but the open burr design with no chute in the way probably has a lot to do with that. i've put a folded tea towel under mine and that seems to make it a bit quieter, probably from not transferring as much vibration to the countertop

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

actionjackson posted:

I can't believe all the crazy poo poo people do to make their coffee taste like slightly better, I just use a $30 mr coffee and a $20 grinder from target

the sette 270w measures the beans as it grinds them, idk if the end result tastes any different but not having to measure them myself is p deece

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

jetboil and ziplock bag of instant coffee

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

my technivorm is 1450W apparently

but it's got a pretty beefy heater in it, similar to this:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

anything built-in is automatically 2x-5x what it would cost otherwise

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

I have no idea but tbh it's probably American honey that's made from corn syrup and boiled up pigs feet.

its this

same with maple syrup

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fyi dark beers like stouts, porters, dark ales/ipas, or dark lagers (dunkel) are dark because the grain had been roasted more before brewing

so may be getting similar roasted flavor to coffee from that

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Zam Wesell posted:

how big of a difference would it make to switch from a regular ol' moccamaster to something like an aeropress? i've got a grinder, weight, water cooker etc. should just try it i guess, not like it's an expensive item

it'll taste pretty different, i think the pressure from pushing the water through makes it different? even if it's nowhere near espresso pressure and just amounts to the resistance of the filter

having to go through the whole process for every cup may get annoying tho but i still do it every so often

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

91-92 territory might be normal? since getting 100 would imply measuring the temperature of the steam

if the vessel is open then a lot of heat is leaving via the steam escaping and leaving behind the cooler water to be measured

also if you're not at sea level then the boil temp is lower

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i use a "bullet" travel cup without the lid. it loses enough heat to the interior metal layer and to steam convection that it's drinkable pretty quickly, but then continues to be reasonably warm for a while after that

specifically this customized one in 12oz size - they label it a 'keep cup' but it's actually one of these. actual keepcups meanwhile lose all their heat to the thick glass instantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Visual GNUdio posted:

reminding y`all coffee scrubs to step up ur fuckin game

have you found a way to quiet the 270wi because good lord

part of the problem may be that i'm running it for 60g in one go