Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
good morning it's coffee time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
ran out of beans, ordered some beans, picking up beans in the morning.

excellent catte

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
convert computer touching to money

convert money to beans

convert beans to coffee

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
been using Trader Joe’s instant cold brew as “need caffeine in under a minute” coffee and it’s... okay. looking forward to ramping up my cold brew production once late spring hits and it starts getting hot

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

shoeberto posted:

It's a 2 pot Sunday

this is an excellent idea

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

PokeJoe posted:

zojirushi mug keeps my coffee far too hot for far too long :thumbsup:

zojirushi mug is extremely pro, keeps it terrifyingly hot

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
turning my morning carafe leftovers into afternoon iced coffee

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
patching on a Saturday morning sucks, it is made somewhat bearable by coffee and a breakfast sandwich

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
temps finally getting warm enough for cold brew coffee on the reg. got 5 lbs of beans incoming, gonna be a cold brew panic attack couple of weeks

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
time to filter the cold brew

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is that the toddy?

I’d tried one or two cold brew setups (not the Toddy) and they were okay but I wanted to make a bunch at a time. I’d been steeping the coffee in a stock pot, doing a coarse straining with cheesecloth, and running it through coffee filters to clean it up but that was an all-evening affair.

my undergrad experience bombing out of biochemistry did at least remind me of vacuum filtering. I finally found a cheap vacuum pump and suitably large flask along with a two-part

mediaphage posted:

büchner? büchner? büchner?
funnel that was easy to clean in the dishwasher. it takes an hour or so and some counter space to do the filtering but it takes way less time and now I’ve got 3L of concentrate. I still do the initial strain with cheesecloth or some dedicated cheap kitchen towels and usually still have to decant off of some silt that settles overnight.

PokeJoe posted:

nice vacuum flask

for me to poop on :twisted:
nooooo :gonk:

lousy hat fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 21, 2021

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
going out of town for the weekend and trying to figure out how precious to be about my coffee situation for two mornings

probably not very, tbh

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

mediaphage posted:

if you’re not going to have coffee equipment where you go, the starbucks vias are expensive but definitely the best instants imo

vias are a solid choice for sure, especially for quick morning in-room coffing

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
might just throw a quart of my cold brew in a cooler for the drive then the room fridge tbh

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
I really want a good electric grinder but also a soundproofed box for it to live in

\/ \/ \/ that does look super nice, will keep an eye on it in case the US plug availability ever overlaps with having $700 available to fulfill my desire for excellent fresh grinding

or if I just turn into a going all-out espresso guy

lousy hat fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 9, 2021

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
when it’s cold out I really enjoy the ritual of my chemex-alike pourover, but right now i love my big pitcher of cold brew concentrate. like 30 seconds from “think I’ll have a coffee” to “I have coffee”

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
radiators are warm, coffee is hot and good, not so bad even if I do have to work today

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
went to my local roaster, got some beans and a lovely cafe au lait

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
accidentally broke my bodum pourover chemex-alike while washing it :(

now I have the oxo brew 8-cup maker and it’s pretty needs-suiting. :)

I had a good time fussing over the old one but it’s nice to push a button and get good coffee, especially first thing in the morning.

given recent experience, the thermal carafe is extremely nice

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
it’s wild how differently people’s bodies react to caffeine. my partner drinks one cola a day and that’s their only caffeine. but if they can’t get it, whanging headaches ensue. meanwhile I spent decades ingesting tons of caffeine instead of getting actual ADD meds and if I don’t have caffeine for a day or two it’s nbd

at least it was last time I tried. I should probably see if that’s still true

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
two cups of coffee down, thinking about a third

hand-grinding a pot’s worth of beans every day isn’t the *worst* but I may have to see if I’ve got a socket driver that fits the crankshaft on the skerton, just in case

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
i'm about to set up a coffee subscription with my local roaster. we used to be real close and running over there early before work wasn't a big deal, but now they're at least half an hour away so a day or two in the mail is fine

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
haveing a coffee :morning:

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
having a coffee right now. coffee good.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

mediaphage posted:

the point of instant for me is convenience when i can't make coffee and there's like never a time when i can't make coffee but have access to a freezer

I keep starbucks via and trader joe's instant cold brew on hand for camping/emergencies, but this is basically my attitude. If it's not shelf-stable then why would I want it

should just go for the bripe lifestyle tbh

edit: just checked and I'm too out of shape to be a real briper

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
bripe is legit the funniest and dumbest coffee thing I’ve seen… maybe ever and I have a hard time believing any success they have is because of anything other than people being absolute rubes (and the ecosystem of youtube/review shills)

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

ORganic whole beans and
TAKE mine without cream and
SLAM down some coffee from
UGANDA

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
afternoon pot of coffee, let’s find out if I regret this

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
made coffee, drank coffee. descaling the machine for tomorrow’s coffee.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
my office like 20 years ago just had multi-warmer Bunn brewers in the break rooms. best office coffee I’ve ever had, especially if you made it fresh

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
spent almost a week at in-laws with only bad Keurig for coffee.
home now and my first pot of good coffee is very welcome

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
i started making a cold brew yesterday but then forgot to actually drink it before 5pm so I put it in the fridge and I’m having it now. it’s tasty

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
rainy Saturday morning coff with the last of my beans, new ones should get here today :synthy:

might do some grilling later if the rain stops

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

post hole digger posted:

out of coffee. L

RIP, sending bean soup vibes

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
made my first cold brew batch of the summer. ground a bit over a kg of beans, and now I’ve got about 3L of concentrate in the fridge. looking forward to accidentally over-caffeinating myself this week.

also running that many beans through the grinder at once made for a good excuse to clean it so that’s nice.

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
yesterday: had coffee, got laid off

today: got bagels, having coffee, got a job interview this afternoon

bonus that it's a remote gig so terrible office coffee wouldn't be a concern

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

Midjack posted:

good luck!

thanks! through some friend-nepotism and serendipity I, uh… actually got an offer letter? it’s not a glamorous kind of dev job but it would pay better than the startup I was working at before and seems less stressful.

gonna celebrate with some cold brew tomorrow morning. :toot:

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
had some leftover yesterday coffee from the fridge. still coffee and still good

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

dioxazine posted:

had cold brew this morning. might finish it off this afternoon and make another batch

I’ve been procrastinating on making another big batch of cold brew for like a week. this post and being reduced to Trader Joe’s instant cold brew have kicked my rear end into gear

ty coffee friend :coffee:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry

dioxazine posted:

best wishes for your cold brew to turn out wonderful :coffeepal:

it did!