Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

whats the least effort way for me to consistently make cups of coffee that arent complete poo poo like the stuff i drink at work

i dont drink coffee at home often but if i have a guest over that likes coffee i wanna be able to easily make them a cup that isn't garbage

im leaning toward keurig + keeping some beans in the freezer that i grind as needed and fill a keurig cup with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i already have an electric kettle

do i have to get one that can do 200 degrees instead of 212 or is the extra 12 degrees of boiling water really going to ruin the coffee taste

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

duTrieux. posted:

no you're fine, the button ranges on that one are just because making a kettle that lets you get down to individual degrees is apparently either really hard or really expensive

ok cool, god bless

George posted:

don't serve them instant coffee, just have a coffee pot and keep some good beans in an airtight container (not the freezer)

god bless as well

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

bugs are good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Syncopated posted:

much like milk in coffee

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fart simpson posted:

maine is bad

my favorite recent shaggerism was him making fun of florida for all the old people and then someone pointed out maine has the oldest population of any state

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i made some pseudoespresso in my moka pot after dinner

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

Hazelnut is good coffee

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

double ohm seven posted:

is gevalia actually a thing outside of sweden?!

yeah you can buy it in any grocery store in the us

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

double ohm seven posted:

oh wow. i had no idea. here it's like second tier scrub coffee. it's made in the home town of my wife, guess what we drink every time we visit her parents?

ive never seen like, an advertisement for it or anything so im not sure how popular it is

but at least in the dc area you see it even in the lovely grocery stores

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Visual GNUdio posted:

My roaster is a POS that does a pretty bad job of cooling the beans post-roast so I ginned up this horrible contraption

gettin ridgid looking at your setup :jackbud:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

or you could just buy beans from a local coffee roaster

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

japan owns

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

lol if late night coffee has any effect on you being able to sleep

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

haveing morning coffee

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i drank a lot of nespresso at work today

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol @ coffee snobbery

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

made coffee, drinking coffee

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

drinking coffee while watching it snow out my window :coffee:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Fayez Butts posted:

OK I've got 3 questions:

Why are your stairs made out of granite

Why is there an outlet in your granite stairs

Why are you making coffee on your stairs

lol

also lol that they make electric kettles with those stupid little thin spigots

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Er, you want a gooseneck kettle for pour over

i can pour hot water out of a non stupid looking overpriced kettle onto my ground beans in my french press just fine :smug:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Serious smug from a dude asking about buying a Keurig a few months ago

All brew methods (that use fresh beans) are beautiful

my smugness was sarcastic

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sniep posted:

real brands like starbucks

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hi yospos coffee thread, i am too lazy to go back 100 pages

i cannot make coffee at home that is “smooth” like you get at a fine restaurant. it’s always a little too sour or a little too bitter when i play with ratios or grind size

i have a deece coffee machine (i think?): https://www.melitta.co.uk/products/coffee-machines/filter-coffee-machines/aroma-signature-deluxe-filter-coffee-machine-black/

i descale/decalcify the machine whenever the light comes on and tells me to (only has happened twice in 3+ years, we have soft water here)

i buy whole beans and grind them, I’ve played with every possible grind size in the range for normal brewing with a machine: https://www.bestcoffee.guide/pages/wilfa-svart-grinders

ive tried cheaper beans, and I’ve tried more expensive beans that can be traced back to the farm of origin, the more expensive beans did not taste any better than the cheaper beans to me

i just want a smooth cup of copy, help me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

also im drinking a cup of coffee right now, it was free at a hotel, ive had worse

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MindSet posted:

does that thing have a water temperature setting? i haven't had a machine at home in 10 years but temperature is super important, and most machines end up steeping the beans in 100C or hotter and that's a great way to get a bitter dishraggy overextraction.

Hard to go wrong with a v60 and a gooseneck for controlling all the variables.

it has the “European coffee association approved” sticker or whatever is called and i believe part of getting that certification is being able to brew at the consistent temperature whatever the coffee nerds say coffee needs to be brewed at is

PokeJoe posted:

restaurants tear open a premeasured pack of Sysco coffee and dump it into an industrial coffee maker with a regular filter. The only secret of the industrial coffee machine is that it has a hot water resiviour that always has the water immediately available at the ideal temperature

drinking the coffee out of a heavy very thick white mug helps too. getting some dinner style coffee mugs will probably be your biggest improvement

the last restaurant i was at where i thought “drat this was a good cup of coffee” was a relatively small independent Peruvian joint with (supposedly) fancy Peruvian beans and when i asked what machine they had they said just a regular rear end coffee machine, which made me think maybe the beans make all the difference but it didn’t when I bought several higher end ones

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

follow the coffee anus to the idea cuppa :coffee:

this chart is awesome, thank you. i will print it and keep experimenting with it as a guide

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

I'm telling you get the diner mug. "Victor" is the kind you're looking for

i will try that too!

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im drinking lovely old preground coffee because i haven’t bought any beans in weeks

still ok

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i just drank 3 cups of coffee :coffee:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theadder posted:

i ate a pineapple

mods please

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/jerrysaltz/status/1538167050840973314?s=20&t=kvdUN-Evtp4xY6jf_JRdiA

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my partner made the pot today, as usual i'll drink 80% of it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

my partner made the pot today, as usual i'll drink 80% of it

i made the pot today, still gonna drink 80% of it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theadder posted:

some coffee

that’s what we’re talking about my friend

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i just drank 3ish cups of coffee after returning from vacation, feels good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

drinking two big cups of coffee

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i drank an americano made from an off-brand nespresso capsule as my single cup today, please forgive me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

talkin bout one of these bad boys. is it good? has the DMV turned my brain to mush? does it matter? should i go through the trash to look for a better number?

im the "Int'l Coffee" section as if "regular" coffee drinks are "native" to the US

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

fisting by many posted:

new espresso machine came. it's not expensive -- was like $125 -- but makes a pretty good shot, I think.

still have to play around and find the right grind. first attempt there tasted great but poured a little quicker than expected and left a watery puck. I guess if it tastes fine it doesn't matter but I think I can do better.

wilfa makes good poo poo for the money, i have one of their basic grinders

good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Captain Foo posted:

had a coffee today

same