Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Im going to head to Iceland for a week at the end of March. Can I use American Express easily there and how far out should I plan any activities I want to do? Are there any activities that I NEED to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I used my AMEX to book hotels, other than that it's not really accepted outside of high end restaurants and retail. You'll need a Visa or MC if you plan on relying on credit card for everyday expense.

March is a bit of an awkward month because it's still early for the tourist season. It's still quite cold and it'll be cloudy most days. Expect snow. Jokulsarlon ice lagoon is A++ but they don't open for tours until May typically because of the ice pack. With that said I would still go if you're into photography and that area is pretty picturesque in general.

Other than that I need a better idea of your interests. Are you staying only in Reykjavik or are you traveling around? Do you have a car? What's your budget? Etc.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 12, 2016

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Have a hotel in Reykjavik and was hoping to do tours from there Not overly concerned about a budget. If I absolutely need a car I can rent one. Was looking to go hiking/ice climbing.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Well, the thing is that Reykjavik is a solid rear end drive from a lot of the cooler stuff (for reference it's a 4 1/2-5 hour drive to Jokulsarlon). Sure you can do a bus tour of the golden circle, but you're just going through the paces with a bunch of other people. If you want to linger at a particular spot, oh well sorry the tour is continuing.

If you're locked into Reykjavik I would at least rent a car for a couple days. Golden Circle I would do on my own and I would also try to hit Thingvellir. Especially if you're looking to do some hiking. Another thing you can look into would be a glacier tour where you throw on some cramp-on's and get guided up a glacier. There's a ton of tour operators, pretty sure a few of them will do pickups from Reykjavik. Again, not sure if they're running yet because it's still early in the season, but most of them have an online presence so you can look them up.

The Blue Lagoon is a touristy spa/lagoon, but I think it's worth it. Lounge around all day in the hot springs, drink a few beers, it's a pretty relaxing experience. Also there's plenty of buses that run between there and Reykjavik.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Ah that makes sense. I was trying to avoid driving in the winter in another country but renting a car for a couple days sounds like it would be best. I really wanted to do a glacier hike, will be checking around for that on Monday.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

This is the company I used, they were pretty good. They also do jeep tours/snowmobiling if that's more your speed.

Driving will be fine provided you have an AWD/4WD vehicle. Its one main road around the entirety of Iceland with small roads breaking off to attractions. Most towns are one main street with a few residentials. Ask for a GPS and you'll be fine. The F roads will be closed, but you probably don't want to mess with those anyway since your rental company will be mad as hell.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 12, 2016

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Yeah it doesn't look too bad.

Just need to find a pair of insulated hiking boots I guess. Anything else in particular I need to bring or think of? Do most places provide equipment, snowshoes, helmets, whatever?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Bring waterproof outer layers, everything else is provided with those tours. Personally I didn't bring snow pants because I thought they were too bulky to lug around. A waterproof pant will do just fine on the glacier walk.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I have a lighter snow pant I use for snowboarding on warmer days but I brought an even lighter shell as well. Did not get a chance to find insulated hiking boots so I will either have to buy there or deal without. Extremely excited about this now, will post on how it goes when I'm done.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I didn't wear insulated hiking boots, just make sure they're waterproof and you should be fine.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any advice for someone that will be in Reykjavik in mid-June?

I'm looking for high cool factor. I don't want to fly there to shop or see some mundane bullshit.

Driving is fine, costs aren't a huge deal but I don't want to go home broke.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Seriously, I can't recommend Jokulsarlon, Thingvellir, and Skaftafell enough. Grab a car at KEF and drive east. Reykjavik is interesting for two days tops.

June will be a good time to go but expect tourist hordes around the golden circle (Geysir, Gulfoss, Kerio, Strokkur).

It'll be day light late into the evening which takes some getting used to, but every hotel I was in had blackout shades. Load up on breakfast as it's probably going to be your most filling meal of the day.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Seriously, I can't recommend Jokulsarlon, Thingvellir, and Skaftafell enough. Grab a car at KEF and drive east. Reykjavik is interesting for two days tops.

June will be a good time to go but expect tourist hordes around the golden circle (Geysir, Gulfoss, Kerio, Strokkur).

It'll be day light late into the evening which takes some getting used to, but every hotel I was in had blackout shades. Load up on breakfast as it's probably going to be your most filling meal of the day.

Sweet. I will have more questions as I start to find stuff and places to explore. Thanks very much.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Trip Advisor is a really great resource around Iceland, especially for finding some out of the way places. There's quite a few waterfalls that are absolutely gorgeous but there's no advertisement or indication that they're there, just a dirt road and a small lot.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I'm already doing a ton of research for a future trip to Iceland and glad this thread exists!

Who has experience renting a camper and driving it around for like a week or two? Biggest thing I'm wondering about is using a cigarette plug/power inverter since I've read some reviews that sound like they're set up so they run off the primary battery, meaning they'd only be available while driving. That'd be a huge dealbreaker for me :(

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The best thing about my trip to Iceland back in 2006 was that we arrived from a harbor in the eastern fjord area, rather than Reykjavik, since we took a ferry from Denmark. Reykjavik really is in the most boring area of the country and the parts you really want to see are mostly in the east.

The closest really cool stuff to Reykjavik are the snaefellsnes peninsula and that other big peninsula in the northwest that I've forgotten the name of.

Really the best way to go to Iceland is to do a big ring road tour by car.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
If you like birds and are going when the puffins are there you absolutely need to do the detour to Latrabjarg.

We had hundreds of puffins essentially all to ourselves, there were like two other people that showed up in the eight hours or so that we just sat by the cliffs hanging out with birbs. It's basically like this up the whole side of the cliff face, and they let you get to within about 10 feet of them if you're nice about it.

Puffins by Hannah, on Flickr

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

HookShot posted:

If you like birds and are going when the puffins are there you absolutely need to do the detour to Latrabjarg.

We had hundreds of puffins essentially all to ourselves, there were like two other people that showed up in the eight hours or so that we just sat by the cliffs hanging out with birbs. It's basically like this up the whole side of the cliff face, and they let you get to within about 10 feet of them if you're nice about it.

Puffins by Hannah, on Flickr

Dyrhólaey in the south is the same way, Puffins everywhere in the summer.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Had a pretty successful week. Have one more day tomorrow but nothing planned so probably grab food and kick back around Reykjavik, check out a museum or two.

All of Whips advice has been spot on. Got in early Saturday and wandered around Reykjavik before crashing at the hotel. Partied with some Irish chicks that night. Got up a little late Sunday and grabbed a rental car and went on a northern lights tour, got to see them and get that out of the way. Monday was a drive out to Snaefellsjokull and a hike. Tuesday was a partial drive around Thingvellir and down toward Skogafoss. Wednesday we explored a bit more around the Golden Circle and then hit up the Blue Lagoon. Thursday was probably the best day even if it was just a drive to Jokulsarlon and back. Skaftafell, Jokulsarlon and the country was just amazing. Today we did went snorkeling in Safila.

So I didn't really plan well or know what I was doing and wasted a bunch of time and opportunity. It's also a little tricky with the transition from winter to summer. Spend a day in Reykjavik, grab a car and head east. Keep an eye on the weather, Iceland has a page dedicated to the northern lights you can keep an eye on to figure out when and where to go. Skip a tour and just go in the car.

There are a couple things you should get tours for simply due to local knowledge, safety and equipment. Glacier tours, snorkeling or scuba diving, caves. Also try to get reservations at the Blue Lagoon when you are going to be in Reykjavik. Just go for the cheap option, the fancy stuff just gives you a locker and a towel and robe you will lose in 5 minutes. Also schedule any other tours you want to take as they can fill up quickly.

Driving around is actually one of the most enjoyable things just because there's so much to see and the countryside is amazing. Make sure to stop at whatever roadside local restaurant you see for usually all you can eat lamb stew and bread. The bread is also amazing as it always tastes like it was just baked and is never sourdough.

That's all I can think of, I could have saved a bunch of money and done more if I had planned it a little better but I'm pretty happy with it all things considered. Very worth it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah the lamb stew is incredibly good. There's a big rest stop/store/hotel by Geysir with a cafeteria type in it, I remember it being really good.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The gas station across from the hotel at Skaftafell makes the best hamburgers.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The gas station in Vik makes incredible hamburgers too, though that could also be because we were exhausted from a day of hiking.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Lightpole I meant to ask if you found the hot dog hut near the port. I forgot to mention it when you were asking questions but the hot dogs are ridiculous. They were in a red hut named Bæjarins Beztu Pylsur.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It's still there but they have all sorts of construction on the blocks next to it. There were huge lines at all times except early in the morning. Icelanders love their hotdogs!

Also found an awesome bakery that has no indication outside or on the Internet that it exists. I was just lucky enough to walk by when there were fresh rolls in the window and a line out the door. It looked like it had been ransacked by gluten vampires or something, there weren't many options and another line of people waiting for the next batch to come out. I got lucky because within the hour everything was gone.

We usually skipped American food for Icelandic if possible. Breakfast was usually bread, cheese and some meat. Maybe an egg and skyr. They don't understand omelets. It also takes a lot of effort to find anything before about 1100.

I am so ready to go home to not 32F with the most vicious wind I've ever experienced. Even AK in the winter didn't feel as cold.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Those hot dogs were the most overrated food I have ever eaten.

Like they're not bad but there's nothing special about them at all.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hey to each their own, it's just a hot dog after all. I just found them to be enjoyable and a cheap lunch in an expensive city. :shrug:

We always did breakfast at our hotel or BnB, but yeah most poo poo doesn't open early and it closes early. Good luck finding an open grocery store after 6 that isn't a gas station.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, the price definitely couldn't be beat, and they were a decent lunch.

It was just that I had like 50 different people go OH MY GOD THEYRE THE BEST HOT DOG EVER THEY WILL RUIN YOU FOR EVERY SINGLE OTHER HOT DOG FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE and then I had one and I was like ??????

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
They were just hot dogs. Cheap. Most of the stuff I've had has been pretty high quality or made with some effort so I haven't had too much that was bad.

The coffee has been really good. The worst part was always only having enough time for one cup before having to rush off.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

There was a sick coffee shop down by the water in this little shopping district, I'd have to look at a map to remember the name. Had phenomenal coffee and cake.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Is there anything in the center of the country that's worth seeing, or if we go through the center will we be missing out on cooler stuff we could be doing along the coast?

And if we don't have any reason to go through the center, is there any need for a 4x4 to access any cool sites?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Driving through the center is going to require a 4x4 and a rental company that isn't opposed to you going on the F roads. It's all mountainous dirt roads.

A 4x4 isn't really necessary if you're going during the summer, the main road is well maintained. In the fall/winter I would say it's encouraged just given the likelihood of snowy roads. The F roads aren't open in the winter.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Driving through the center is going to require a 4x4 and a rental company that isn't opposed to you going on the F roads. It's all mountainous dirt roads.

A 4x4 isn't really necessary if you're going during the summer, the main road is well maintained. In the fall/winter I would say it's encouraged just given the likelihood of snowy roads. The F roads aren't open in the winter.

I'm going in June. Is there any reason to actually take the interior F-roads though? Wikitravel doesn't even have a single highlight listed in the center of the country. I wasn't sure if 4x4s were needed for the F-roads that are more external / closer to the ring road. It seems like fun driving, but if I'm only there for 10 days then driving over the center of the country seems like I'd probably miss out on something else that's cooler.

Presumably most rental companies that rent large 4x4s allow you to take them on the F-roads... otherwise a 4x4 seems kind of pointless?

Edit: Oh, I found a flyer from some rental car company. Some F-roads are marked as OK and others are "not recommended" whatever that means (at least with whatever company this flyer is from).

Saladman fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 6, 2016

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Yeah the roads each company will be ok with you traveling on varies company to company. Some will tell you not at all, others will require you buy additional insurance, and others will limit you to certain roads. I never got out there, the roads were still closed when I went, but from what I've read and heard its absolutely beautiful and the driving is a lot of fun if you're into off roading.

Most of the good stuff is accessible from the main road so you're not necessarily missing anything by not doing it. But if you have the opportunity I'd certainly consider it just for the sake of having done it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Well, just got our tickets. Hurray, looking forward to it. I've been wanting to go to Iceland for forever.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

If you're coming in on a red eye the Blue Lagoon is a good first stop. Think they open at 9 or 10, something like that. Good place to recharge after a flight before you head off to where you're going.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
What he said. You are probably getting in in the 5-7 range and check in is around 1400 so getting the Blue Lagoon and that peninsula out of the way is a good start. You can also check out Reykjavik, grab food and see the sights and museums.

We ran around in a Chevy Spark, no F road access but it's transitioning to spring and there are still winter conditions. We didn't have a problem for the most part. If you get off the main road, the smaller country roads can be a mix of asphalt and gravel with large potholes everywhere so if you intend to get off the main highway get the chip insurance.

Aside from Reykjavik cops aren't very common, we saw one heading in to Vik and he didn't bother pulling anyone over, just flashed his lights if people were going too fast. They have speed cameras, most of the ones we saw were on the way to Snaefellsjokull. There was one on 1 to Jokulsarlon closer to Reykjavik so I think we spent most of the trip going 90 or so.

If you really want to get to the Highlands I think there might be some multi day tours that might be the way to go or at least consider.

I would base the decision off of time, if you have time to do the whole exterior with some days left over I would check it out, otherwise don't worry too much about it.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I got a speed camera ticket in the tunnel driving to Borgarnes :henget:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
That's a total trap! They put whatever grade they want on their roads and that thing feels like it's going straight down. Got lucky on that one, gotta be going within 10-20 km of the speed limit so you can slow if you see the camera sign.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

lightpole posted:

What he said. You are probably getting in in the 5-7 range and check in is around 1400 so getting the Blue Lagoon and that peninsula out of the way is a good start. You can also check out Reykjavik, grab food and see the sights and museums.

I'm coming from Europe, so I get in at midnight, which is 2 am my time—awesome. I don't know why nearly all flight times to Iceland are so awful. The only flights I saw that got in at reasonable hours were massively much more expensive, and it's not like Iceland is all that far from Europe. I think the direct flight is like 4 hours. My departure back is at 12:45 am too, which would be kind of OK, except that I have to transfer in Dusseldorf 3 hours and 15 minutes later (ffffff going to work later that same day is not going to be awesome).

We have 9 full days + the day of arrival. The person I'm meeting up with arrives at 8am, 8 hours after me. Have to start looking into itinerary ideas and cars now. Thanks for the suggestions.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Have any of y'all driven through the interior, and do you have a rental agency you'd recommend that has a good policy for that? It looks like it'd probably take about 10-12 hours to drive from south to north—going at a leisurely pace and stopping for photographs—if Google maps' driving time for the interior F-roads is even realistic (it estimates 45 kph, or 7 hours for 325 km). The east of the country looks pretty dull (relatively to the rest of the country) and worth a solid skip, especially compared to driving across the interior. A lot of the 4x4s I see for renting though are the pointless SUVs for Americans who like big cars, and not so many trucks with high clearance that are actually good the near-offroads driving of the F-roads. Like, a Ford Escape is going to drown in the first river it sees. A wrangler looks a lot more reasonable.

The Gallimard guide I have has the saddest highlights for the east that I've seen in any guidebook ever. The east has five photos, compared to like 15 for every other region. Theyr'e (a–b) for the most unremarkable waterfall and forest I've seen in my life in Hallormsstaarskógur (c) for a collection of dull rocks from Petra Sveinsdóttir, and (d–e) two for sunbathing on what may be the world's worst sunbathing beaches outside of Antarctica.

E: Also is there any way to check when and which F-roads are open? https://www.road.is helpfully tells you to call them in Iceland. Is that really the only way? I see that it varies a lot when the interior roads actually open — some people say early June, some early July — and we'd be looking to head north across the country probably around June 24.

Edit 2: I found this, so looks like I will just barely be out of luck, unless global warming in the last 5 years has done wonders. I don't imagine anyone knows what this year's snowfall was like in the interior of Iceland compared to the norm?

Saladman fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Apr 8, 2016

• Locked thread