Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

:siren:Now out on Steam!:siren:

What is Salt and Sanctuary?

Salt and Sanctuary is a Dark Souls-inspired 2D metroidvania developed by Ska Studios, who you may or may not recognize for their well-received XBLA platformers Charlie Murder and The Dishwater series. It has a wonderfully somber aesthetic and aside from the iffy-character design the art style looks fantastic. It also wears its Dark Souls inspirations on its sleeve, having straight analogues to the bonfire, covenant, and Estus flask systems.

If you want more than that there is an excellent video preview (of a year old build, mind) by VaatiVidya that covers the basics of the game without spoiling too much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLkHA-W8KFA

Notable Features
  • Two player local co-op (with online co-op being something that the developers may look into in the future but is by no means guaranteed).
  • Asynchronous online features such as leaving messages for other players and viewing other players' deaths.
  • Eight starting classes to choose from.
  • A massive skill tree to advance along as you build your character.
  • Seven "creeds" to join and have empower you.
  • Over 600 items total (of which about 100 are weapons spread across sixteen different categories).

Release Information
This game is for PS4, Vita, and PC. PS4 version released on March 16th thanks to a timed exclusivity deal with Sony, with the Steam version having just been released on May 17th. Vita version is not yet out but is cross-buy with PS4.

Screenshots

Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2h-SHL64Gw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTT9tsG1suE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyRLnXUoMHs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPQWYbmq3QE

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Until/if I make a proper post, just use the wiki if you're looking for more specific mechanical information. It's decent enough.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 17, 2016

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I like dark souls and a 2D dark souls could be cool but visually this game looks awful. I don't like looking at it :(

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Overbite posted:

I like dark souls and a 2D dark souls could be cool but visually this game looks awful. I don't like looking at it :(

SKA's games have always looked like spray-painted graffiti on a cinderblock wall and they're very much a love it or hate it thing, yeah. I'm interested in seeing how it'll work with the added visual complexity of this game - the Dishwasher had fairly simple models and Charlie Murder was basically animated notebook doodles.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I didn't really get into The Dishwasher, but people are already streaming this game on twitch and it looks pretty good.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
I am so looking forward to this game, really need something to help tide me over till DS3.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Considering all the PSN/eBay deals have been going around, I'm sitting on like 250 worth of credit now. I might get this, but I'll wait for some on hands impressions from you guys.

So cautiously optimistic.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Overbite posted:

The faces in this game look so stupid that they nearly ruined any interest I had in the game. The rest looks decently better at least but I still find it very much like the edgy 13 year old punk rock style you saw all over newgrounds back in the day. Charlie Murder was a huge step up but still. That said, stupid base art style aside these guys always make fun games and I'm looking forward to this once I hear a few impressions. If there's one thing I always like in their games it's their love of slashy squishy violence. It's nice.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I like everything I've heard about this game and pre-ordered it despite almost never pre-ordering anything (outside of Souls games).

If this sucks I guess I'll never pre-order anything again.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

EC posted:

I like everything I've heard about this game and pre-ordered it despite almost never pre-ordering anything (outside of Souls games).

If this sucks I guess I'll never pre-order anything again.

I've gone hollow from the wait for dark souls 3 and also preordered this despite hating the artstyle.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Any word on how the coop works? Its local ya but who does your coop buddy get to be? Just a random smo or do they get to pick classes and junk?

Edit: vvvv Ah neat, thanks Geno.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 14, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cainer posted:

Any word on how the coop works? Its local ya but who does your coop buddy get to be? Just a random smo or do they get to pick classes and junk?

From Reddit:

quote:

S&S is a great game for co-op, but, like Dark Souls, the option isn't quite as easy as pressing X on controller 2. You have to prove your worth.

Player 2 needs to create a character and save on their own PSN account.
Player 1 starts the game and beats the first boss.
Player 1 gets a key from the boss which unlocks a path heading east.
Head east into the Bandit's Pass sanctuary, where you'll pick up the "Sellsword Idol"
Make an offering of the Sellsword at this sanctuary or the first one, then talk to the sellsword to begin co-op.

After that, it is as easy as pressing X on controller 2.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Ska studios rules and i'm excited to play this with my brother. We played all three of the other games, the ones that looked like they were drawn by a teenager and were completely rad. I bet this game is gonna have a badass chef boss.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm in. This is preorder-able aka midnight Eastern release?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Says so on the store page

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Do I want this? I kind of want this.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
we all know that Slashy Souls is the superior side-scrolling souls-like game here

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I've been looking forward to this game for awhile now, but now that it's about to come out I feel instinct cautioning me, so I too shall join the line of people waiting for first-hand impressions.

Kilometers Davis posted:

The faces in this game look so stupid that they nearly ruined any interest I had in the game. The rest looks decently better at least but I still find it very much like the edgy 13 year old punk rock style you saw all over newgrounds back in the day. Charlie Murder was a huge step up but still. That said, stupid base art style aside these guys always make fun games and I'm looking forward to this once I hear a few impressions. If there's one thing I always like in their games it's their love of slashy squishy violence. It's nice.

Thank you for articulating this, there really is something irritating about how the faces and characters in general look here, and a "Newgrounds" style is absolutely appropriate. If the gameplay is good then fine, I suppose. We'll see.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's been so long that anything was said about this, I thought it turned into Death's Gambit or something. Huh.

I love the contrast of rather pretty looking scenery and some dork with an MSPainted face.

Overbite posted:

Are you talking about the faces or are you looking at a different game? :confused:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Mar 14, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean the characters are bad enough to pretty much sink the entire aesthetic. Gameplay looks sweet though so I'm down.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

LobosJr is currently streaming this game and doing pretty well at it. Might be worth checking out if you're on the fence.

https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its out

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Hell ya, time to use my frying pan to cleanse the evils of this world!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

do rolls not change at 50% equip load

seems like no, but movement speed is faster all around below 50?

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 15, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh man, at the first boss and THE SALT IS REAL!

grrrr!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feenix posted:

Oh man, at the first boss and THE SALT IS REAL!

grrrr!

shield helps a lot when he speeds up

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

lets hang out posted:

shield helps a lot when he speeds up

It's funny how in all these Souls-y games I automatically just assume that shields are useless against bosses. I just always do. Thanks for the advice. I beat him without the shield but I should've tried that.

So let me ask if anyone knows. I rolled a knight. My knight rolled (evaded) like crap.my encumbrance was fairly high.
I put on lighter rogue gear. I roll better. The only stat that changed was my equip weight. I didn't see where my armor stat was worse.

Looking in wrong place? Something I am missing?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This game has designed levels, no procedurally generated nonsense, right?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Feenix posted:

It's funny how in all these Souls-y games I automatically just assume that shields are useless against bosses. I just always do. Thanks for the advice. I beat him without the shield but I should've tried that.

So let me ask if anyone knows. I rolled a knight. My knight rolled (evaded) like crap.my encumbrance was fairly high.
I put on lighter rogue gear. I roll better. The only stat that changed was my equip weight. I didn't see where my armor stat was worse.

Looking in wrong place? Something I am missing?

open the menu and then hit r2 to change the left panel to show your defense values

Sakurazuka posted:

This game has designed levels, no procedurally generated nonsense, right?

that's right

e: found a secret door i opened with the circle button so i guess run around mashing circle on everything

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 15, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm still not entirely sure how focus bar and endurance bar interact together. Also, what is even the difference of what covenant you pick?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
I couldn't help myself, I bought it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the flanged mace has unique attacks if you hold up while hitting square and triangle. none of the other weapons i've found do that

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If anyone started out as a hunter if you shoot your crossbow after you attack with your primary you do a backstep quickshot

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

lets hang out posted:

the flanged mace has unique attacks if you hold up while hitting square and triangle. none of the other weapons i've found do that

I noticed some weapon have different attack strings if you hold down while mashing square.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the game doesn't explain it so when you turn in quests to a leader npc and they offer you a reward, it's something that's going to get refilled every time you rest at a sanctuary like your healing flasks

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I found another covenant so don't get too attached to the starting three

EDIT: oh it's in the OP

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 15, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I wish I could play this right now. drat classes! :argh:

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Genocyber posted:

I wish I could play this right now. drat classes! :argh:

I didn't realize I was going to be out of town for two days for work when I preordered it. :(

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just got to the first boss and the gameplay loop is exactly like souls. This will be a great game to scratch that souls itch until DS3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I guess the underlying influences are Maple Story characters in a Dark Souls world?

those faces, goddamn

• Locked thread