Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

funny how faces are the prime complaint when the human characters in most dark souls games are beyond the loving ugliest in almost any current gen game, so I guess this really is a true-to-form 2D adaptation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Man I'm stuck. I've killed four bosses, and received the ability to use the totems that are everywhere, which grants access to The Storm Castle and some secret areas here and there. But I feel like there must be somewhere else I should go first because my dude dies almost instantly to everything in there and can barely nick the enemies. Anyone got any hints on where to look next? Boss wise I've already killed The Sodden Knight, The Queen of Smiles, The Mad Alchemist, and The False Jester. I also found the Kraekan Cyclops but he seems to be meant for later in the game and also maybe optional since I can approach him from both entry points?

Also this game is good and very much 2D Dark Souls. I'm wearing light armor for fast rolls and using what is essentially the Zweihander. Got equivalents for estus, pine resins, homeward bones, all of it.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 15, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Souls games you're mostly staring at the back of a helmet

Mine always look pretty anyway though

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB

Bugblatter posted:

Man I'm stuck. I've killed four bosses, and received the ability to use the totems that are everywhere, which grants access to The Storm Castle and some secret areas here and there. But I feel like there must be somewhere else I should go first because my dude dies almost instantly to everything in there and can barely nick the enemies. Anyone got any hints on where to look next? Boss wise I've already killed The Sodden Knight, The Queen of Smiles, The Mad Alchemist, and The False Jester. I also found the Kraekan Cyclops but he seems to be meant for later in the game and also maybe optional since I can approach him from both entry points?

Also this game is good and very much 2D Dark Souls. I'm wearing light armor for fast rolls and using what is essentially the Zweihander. Got equivalents for estus, pine resins, homeward bones, all of it.

I'm pretty sure this is the only way to go where you are and the difficulty spike is crazy. I got to the boss by just running from almost all the enemies and I'm having a lot of trouble with it at level 36.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

funny how faces are the prime complaint when the human characters in most dark souls games are beyond the loving ugliest in almost any current gen game, so I guess this really is a true-to-form 2D adaptation

Bang a helmet on your souls characters and it's grand.
I assume you can do the same in this.

I do wanna try this in co-op but it has to be the PC version which I feel is gonna be out after DS3 comes out.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

AllisonByProxy posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the only way to go where you are and the difficulty spike is crazy. I got to the boss by just running from almost all the enemies and I'm having a lot of trouble with it at level 36.

36? Whaaa? I am level 14 I think.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Thief mask is 20 minutes in if you're that bothered by your ninja turtle face

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

lets hang out posted:

Thief mask is 20 minutes in if you're that bothered by your ninja turtle face

You can find a jack o'lantern to wear before the second boss which is of course way better.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
anybody managed to beat that prologue boss yet?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How does leveling work with COOP? Do you both just get 1/2 the XP?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Golden Goat posted:

Bang a helmet on your souls characters and it's grand.
I assume you can do the same in this.

I do wanna try this in co-op but it has to be the PC version which I feel is gonna be out after DS3 comes out.

They said June earliest, because of their agreement with Sony.

I don't get the complaint about faces but it's prolly because I know Ska studio's stuff. That said, I feel like everything else about the game is absolutely gorgeous.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I didn't know this was gonna be on PS4 wa tha faaaa

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm guessing much like Souls, if I'm getting my poo poo pushed in at the Bandit area I should probably head to Village of Smiles instead. Yea?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Feenix posted:

I'm guessing much like Souls, if I'm getting my poo poo pushed in at the Bandit area I should probably head to Village of Smiles instead. Yea?

Yes, smiles seems to be next.

Does anyone know where to get a drat rank 2 sword?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

It's gonna be rough waiting for the PC version of this.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pladdicus posted:

Does anyone know where to get a drat rank 2 sword?

You can transmute a weapon using a boss's ashes at an alchemist but I'm four bosses in and have yet to find a rank 2 or higher weapon of any type off the ground or an enemy.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Storm castle is my current roadblock too. I've done everything else I can find - the boss at the bottom of the sunken keep or whatever it was Giant guy with sword was super easy, for the guy who wasn't sure if he should fight him yet.

After you've upgraded a weapon once (first place i've found to do it was the Woodwraith shrine) the second time you want to upgrade it, at least for my thief, there is more than one upgrade path. Press up/down on the screen and it'll change - in my case, from a poison dagger to a purely attack damage one.

Really enjoying the game so far.

Also parry seems really strong. I don't do damage with mine, but I kill things instantly instead. It also seems to randomly kill other enemies on screen besides the one I'm riposting.

I can't seem to progress "Leader" quests in my sanctuary, and also does anyone know what the 3 graph style bars are underneath your level on the HUD? Unless they're just for show.

Thievery fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 15, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Those 3 bars under your level look like they match the colors of your stats in the menu. It's like a simple indicator of your build for I dunno, videos and screenshots I guess.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Lakbay posted:

You can transmute a weapon using a boss's ashes at an alchemist but I'm four bosses in and have yet to find a rank 2 or higher weapon of any type off the ground or an enemy.

Yes! I ended up doing this, thank you! :D! Wish I'd known earlier, lot of bosses were insanely tricky with my awful damage.

lets hang out posted:

Those 3 bars under your level look like they match the colors of your stats in the menu. It's like a simple indicator of your build for I dunno, videos and screenshots I guess.

I noticed this too it's cool.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am a veteran of all Souls games. Somehow this one is proving (at least initially) more difficult.)

I'm rocking a Polearm and Knight starter Shield and am Level 7. I get just past that trap in the beginning of Village of Smiles and the slow moving knight monster with the shield just obliterates me.

Tips?

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Feenix posted:

I am a veteran of all Souls games. Somehow this one is proving (at least initially) more difficult.)

I'm rocking a Polearm and Knight starter Shield and am Level 7. I get just past that trap in the beginning of Village of Smiles and the slow moving knight monster with the shield just obliterates me.

Tips?

I found the easier route was to take out the first dog, and let the knight trigger the trap .

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Feenix posted:

Tips?

Parry him, he doesn't respawn either. Parry, counter, knock him a few times when he's on the ground, counter again (it gives you another chance), roll away if he's able to attack.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
EDIT: Maybe, I should refresh pages before posting-

Oh, pointless "try rolling" messages, how have I missed thee.

Feenix posted:

Tips?

In true DS Bigass Knight fashion, he's very easy to parry.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 15, 2016

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Fat Samurai posted:

Is this a Souls thing? I never got much into Dark or Demon but been loving Bloodborne and this game.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

If you're having trouble parrying the knights you can try breaking their guard for the same effect. If spears can't do it maybe swap to a mace just for them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fat Samurai posted:

In true DS Bigass Knight fashion, he's very easy to parry.

Really? I'm having a fairly hard time with the parry timing on him and am instead just getting my poo poo pushed in.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

mrEkli posted:

Is this a Souls thing? I never got much into Dark or Demon but been loving Bloodborne and this game.

Depending on the game, it's "Try Jumping", "Try Rolling" or "Tongue But Hole"

Feenix posted:

Really? I'm having a fairly hard time with the parry timing on him and am instead just getting my poo poo pushed in.
I'm parrying the first horizontal slash. He uses the overhead chop when he's far away, I think.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Fat Samurai posted:

Depending on the game, it's "Try Jumping", "Try Rolling" or "Tongue But Hole"

Oh I remember seeing the try jumping. Are you able to make messages in this game? Where is the item to do so? Also a shame you could see ghosts but not online MP.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Does upgrading weapons at the blacksmith actually do anything? It says on the upgrade screen it'll increase damage (in my case on a dagger) from 6 to 11 but after upgrading, the base damage stays the same.

For the next upgrade level, it also tells me it'll upgrade it from 6 - 11.

I can't help feeling it's not actually doing anything.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

mrEkli posted:

Oh I remember seeing the try jumping. Are you able to make messages in this game? Where is the item to do so? Also a shame you could see ghosts but not online MP.

I picked up a "Journey Bottle" or something like that a bit before the first boss.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
That knight is causing me to stagger and then doing massive damage. That is mainly my problem. Blocking is ineffectual, it would seem. (for me.)

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

That knight is like the brick trolls from Bloodborne in that their only purpose seems to be parry practice.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Those bottles really bum me out. "Praise the dark soul!" Like, I'm all for being proud of your inspiration, but come on.
And the level up tree scares me. I don't want to go back to ff10 mama please mama I'll be good mama

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Bogart posted:

Those bottles really bum me out. "Praise the dark soul!" Like, I'm all for being proud of your inspiration, but come on.
And the level up tree scares me. I don't want to go back to ff10 mama please mama I'll be good mama

You could join a different creed. Some pray and level up to statues and junk.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm following the old gods, I think? The crazy man said I was a pilgrim and I was like, ok.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Of course after posting I beat the guy (ledge drop heavy attacks) Man I found a great sword in a hidden area. I had to unequip some weight but gently caress me it is nice.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok now that I am sort of figuring out the pace and feel of Dark Souls but in 2D, I am doing better. That said, I think I do have some legitimate grievances with how they hide traps and rising-from-the-ground zombies in such a washed out world. It's hard to make anything out, even being careful.

[edit] Also am I missing the place where it tells me WHY I cannot equip something? I get a red X through the item but the description and stats are not indicative of why I cannot.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Instead of stat requirements and just cold putting souls into stat boosts, all that poo poo, including armor and weapon proficiency, is unlocked in the skill tree. It's one of the only things that keeps it from being a 2D souls game entirely, which is strange because it feels really stupid so far.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can I leave notes yet?

AGGH this loving tree-branch part can suck my immortal dick. I fall to my death for the goddamn DUMBEST reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

Speaking of the soul tree thing, I just discovered you can put multiple points (up to 5) in the stat increasing nodes. I unlocked level 5 assassin at level 27ish but since my dagger is only level 2 I may as well have boosted all these other stats first.

Has anyone who isn't a dagger user had any luck with upgrading weapons at the blacksmith? I feel like if they actually increased the damage like they say they should this game would be way easier.

Just beat the Storm Castle boss anyway.

• Locked thread