Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

EC posted:

I like everything I've heard about this game and pre-ordered it despite almost never pre-ordering anything (outside of Souls games).

If this sucks I guess I'll never pre-order anything again.

I've gone hollow from the wait for dark souls 3 and also preordered this despite hating the artstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Says so on the store page

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
If anyone started out as a hunter if you shoot your crossbow after you attack with your primary you do a backstep quickshot

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I found another covenant so don't get too attached to the starting three

EDIT: oh it's in the OP

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 15, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pladdicus posted:

Does anyone know where to get a drat rank 2 sword?

You can transmute a weapon using a boss's ashes at an alchemist but I'm four bosses in and have yet to find a rank 2 or higher weapon of any type off the ground or an enemy.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The level 3 marksman skill seems to be bugged and I cannot learn it even when I have the required amount of pearls.

Also wondering if upgrading is bugged since my weapons do similar damage no matter what

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zaggitz posted:

I keep finding a bunch of really sick level 2+ heavy armor sets.

I'm spec'd in light armor :negative:

This is me at the moment fortunately I found a katana to go with my japanese assassin gear

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

LawfulWaffle posted:

And if they weren't over a pit of death, which you can be kicked into while waiting for the breakable platforms to return. I'm interested in the more exotic weapon classes. I found one called a Greatscissor, and while I think it's part of the sword tree, none of the skills mention scissors. Same deal with the Sword Whips, probably fit under whips but do I need sword skills to use it also?

At first I was okay with not having a map and trying to keep the layout of the world in my head, like I do with most souls games. But once I started getting brands I really wished there was something in-game to help me remember what places I should return to.

You can use sword whips with just points in swords, same with the scissors, I also found a gunblade.

EDIT: I parried a knight off his horse

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 16, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Thievery posted:

I seem to find loads of heavy armour but not much light stuff, best so far is rank 1 assassin gear.

I finally found rank 4 light armor between the Dome and Ziggurat but the game seems to have a boner for heavy armor.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Flytrap posted:

Maybe the creators were annoyed by how heavy armor was always useless in Souls games and overcompensated for their game.

I mean heck, (ring spoiler) there's a ring that just ups your roll speed, nullifying a good part of the penalty of wearing too much heavy armor.

Granted, I've found heavy sets so heavy that my character can't move

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What's (late game boss)The Coveted weak to? My class 3 poleaxe and reaper do 0.5% of the healthbar per hit.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Gyoru posted:

Strong against slash and weak against arcane/strike (blunt).

Thanks, I made a rank 4 reaper and I got lucky and won. Will keep it in mind for future playthroughs

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Who was that guy stuck at Witch of the Lake? I'm you now :(

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

holy poo poo poison is crazy. stone roots 4 life

Is there different kinds of poison like toxic/poison in dark souls? I poisoned the witch of the lake but by the time the poison wore off it only did about 1% of her healthbar.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Now that I've beaten the game, I can say that rank 5 light armor is a terrible investment because the two tier 5 sets that exist for light armor are just there for dress up and the best light armor in the game is a class 4 you can get about midgame.

Also you're probably not going to get a class 5 weapon unless you're in NG+ (with one exception)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How did you people get 100k for upgrades? My salt count was never that high and I don't think I fought a boss that gave that much (even the final boss doesn't give that much salt)

Maybe I just suck :(

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Genocyber posted:

Well, they're not worthless, but they are considerably less effective compared to the bigger weapons. E.g. with a sword I had upgraded a few times it took me a good 30 or so hits to take down a big regular enemy in Storm Castle, with a great hammer I picked up it took like 6 or 7. Buffs help a lot, though, and are very much your friend when it comes to the quicker weapons.

Spears/Polaxes/Reapers are pretty weak too. I guess you have reach and speed but the stamina consumption is pretty high. Spears doubly so because the moveset is bad against all the flying enemies (though this is a problem with spears in SotN Castlevanias too)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Megasabin posted:

Have you been running a spear/reaper/poleaxe character? I had heard the scythes were pretty strong.

Scythes have a really good moveset but their damage is kinda lacking. I got to the end game with a scythe character but gave up because I hit a roadblock with a boss. One of the endgame bosses that's resistant to slash was a nightmare with my tier 4 scythe

Mid to end-game has the same problem as Dark Souls 2 at launch where strike damage was king except replace strike damage with Great-weapons

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 18, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I can't get past the Spindlebeasts because I suck at dodging/jumping but I think you can use the Pitchwoods to skip like half the game if you wanted to. Not that's a good idea since sequence breaking provides no benefits unless you're a speedrunner.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Megasabin posted:

That's super disappointing. Did you try applying any damage buffing items? Everyone is talking about using hammers and great swords in this thread, so is it basically hammers/2 handed swords or bust in the late game?

The damage is still bad even after applying buffs. It's Great-weapons or bust. I mean the fast weapons are usable but it's a lot more painful than just smacking a boss with a giant hammer.

Digirat posted:

I started with the devara creed because I have no idea what the differences are, I am using halberds/swords/ranged weapons/light armor. Thematically it seems like my creed is going to have more to do with prayers than things I care about, but I don't know. Would another one suit me better?

Devara gets really good health potions and holy resin if you do the leader quests and my first character whom I beat the game with was Devara and they were pure melee.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 19, 2016

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Moon Monster posted:

I realized you can do the Ziggurat before Hagar's Cavern and the Mire of Stench. It makes those zones a lot more fun.

If you can get past the Spindlebeasts in Pitchwoods, I think you can skip the entire Red Hall of Cages path since there's no redshift barriers in the end game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Game has a hard on for heavy armor. Half of the light armor sets in the game don't even have matching gloves.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

Top floor of the ziggurat. iirc you'll need the red and blue brands to get there.

You only need the magelight brand to get it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Megasabin posted:

Is there ever a point in summoning an additional leader for the same faction? Or should you be taking a different oath for each stone leader? Also if I swear an oath to a new faction, will I get the leader benefits from the previous faction?

You get a salt bonus which is good if you're farming. There's enough stone leaders to go around but if you want to be safe dump one leader per creed. Nothing caries over when you swear to a new creed, you're an apostate with your old creed and you have to remove your sin with the white lady if you want to go back to your old creed.

On another note I tried a cleric/pistol/whip build and it was pretty painful until I got guardian blade and now it's pretty awesome with damage output almost comparable to Great-weapons + really good survivablility.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The jump to The Forgotten King is the hardest boss in the game for me. I watched a youtube and I still can't do it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Pladdicus posted:

Maybe this will help, I almost never fail now but it doesn't fit easily into words its just something you gotta experiment with. Took me dozens of falls.

From sanctuary go left, drop down until your at the platform above it. Drop to the ledge and dash jump over to the platform down and to the right so that the door is to the left of you, then just jump dash to the right. The trick is to time your dashes.

This is super vague and likely unhelpful.

Unless you mean the boss itself then uh

good luck it's a nightmare. Fight them one on one where you can and focus them down. I go for staff guy first. The trick is to run to the opposite side of the arena and hope they split up a bit to get a few easy hits.

The jump was harder than the boss (beat it first try). Cleric has insane tankiness and heals once you get to class 5.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
They last a few seconds longer for sure, I think they're the same strength as the bought ones.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Regarding the final boss It has the exact same moveset as Allant/Gwyn/Artorias so I'm sure that's completely intentional, can you parry him?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
In NG+ the leader/devotion quests reset but the rewards are added on top of your already existing devotion so you can keep accumulating max potions or whatever

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Finally beat the Husk and...it doesn't even unlock anything...

:negative:

You got a key, explore the area above the boss arena

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Digirat posted:

Without spoiling where it is, is that bag of earth the guy wants a random monster drop or is there a place in the world to pick it up

You pick it up in the world

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
My Castlevania build (whip/cleric/pistol) went from pretty awesome to wet noodle again once i hit the final boss and ng+. I was so excited that I had found a way to make the fast weapons have better damage output and now it's back to slapping bosses for 0.1% of their health bar.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You should probably do a build that uses big twohanded weapons because the damage on fast weapons is lovely at the moment. Only other thing you should know is that your devotion and leader quests reset when you change creed.You can remove nodes on the skill tree with gray pearls so long as they're not a prerequisite (swords 2 require swords 1, etc)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Digirat posted:

Exactly when do fast weapons become bad because I'm at the ruined temple/pitchwoods/floating castle and my sword has had no problem chopping up pretty much everything I've encountered, especially with a holy buff from my creed. I just got a rank 4 halberd too and it's awesome. I haven't died to a boss since the tree of men, although the coveted definitely did take way more hits to die

At that point the enemies get a ton more hp/resistances. I mean you can complete the game it's just that people might become frustrated with how long it takes to kill something. 200 hits with a 1-hand sword vs. 10 with a greatsword.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's harder than bloodborne since the pistol's shot comes out slower than a shield/weapons parry. Also whips can't riposte making the Hunter starting class even more sucky.

You can do a melee attack > shot for a quickshot but I have a hard time getting that combo right before an enemy attacks.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Is the whip any good at all? I like the moveset and kinda wanna do a Castlevania build for my next run.

No, but it's fun! I was able to do OK damage in NG when I maxed out the cleric tree and got Guardian Blade and Divine Blessed Weapon. NG+ on the other hand is a nightmare

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
What's the unique stuff that the Fire and Sky creed give you? I haven't been able to complete the pixel perfect jumping puzzle to get to them

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Duke posted:

Whats in the chest across from the Betrayer guy after you drop down the really long pit? I can't seem to make the jump off the dropping platforms (haven't tried dropping directly onto the chest platform but it seems pretty far)

The only Drowned Tome (final upgrade material for some weapons) in the game unless you beat Unspeakable Deep in the prologue

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Holy crap the Flask of Defilement from the Betrayers covenant is amazing. Lowers defense/resistances of enemies and bosses by ALOT and they melt like butter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

EC posted:

Any advice for end game stuff? I think I'm in the last area but don't want to be moved into NG+ before going through some clean up.

It's REALLY obvious in this game when you're about to be moved to NG+ unlike some of the soulsbornes games so don't worry about that.

NotAnArtist posted:

NG+ Kraeken Wyrm was a slog. Tanking fire with the fire resist shield and single-handing the scharf was slooooooooow going. Also the NG+ Tree of Men seemed to have a ton more HP or damage resist at least during its second phase.

If you can manage it, switch to the Betrayer creed and stock up on flasks of defilement. They almost double or triple the damage bosses take.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 23, 2016

• Locked thread