Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Overbite posted:

I like dark souls and a 2D dark souls could be cool but visually this game looks awful. I don't like looking at it :(

SKA's games have always looked like spray-painted graffiti on a cinderblock wall and they're very much a love it or hate it thing, yeah. I'm interested in seeing how it'll work with the added visual complexity of this game - the Dishwasher had fairly simple models and Charlie Murder was basically animated notebook doodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Was picking Hunter an inadvisable decision? They can't seem to parry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lets hang out posted:

if whips can't do it you could just change to a different weapon or put a shield in your off hand

Haven't got a shield, is the thing. They have a dagger they can block with but I don't know if that's enough to trigger a parry.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Megasabin posted:

You find multiple shields about 20 minutes into the game.

Must have missed them. Currently getting whupped by the Bronze Knight at the entrance to the Village of Smiles.

I'll look down another path for something useful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm at the Castle of Storms and I'm still wearing my basic Hunter's Set. Everything is hurting. Tips?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

poor life choice posted:

Welp. I suddenly really want a spell caster. :stare:

What's the difference between staves and wands? Does anyone bother with a conventional weapon to supplement the spells?

Ugh I also want to try a hunter. Whips and guns sound really fun.

My first build was a Hunter and it didn't go well. It doesn't help that I couldn't find any guns before the Castle of Storms, the default crossbow requires the Kraken Horn to upgrade, and whips seem to be pretty crappy weapons - they don't hit very hard and their scaling distribution moves into a combination of DEX and STR as you upgrade.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
So, don't go around changing your faiths all willy-nilly, because it resets your Devotion as well.

Now I get to spend another half hour grinding Blade Wraith Ribs. Oh, joy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'm glad I bought this game early because that means the Diamond Dust bug is still unpatched.

Why yes I will buy 99 of those at a whopping 0 gold apiece, thank you

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

Finished this tonight, and enjoyed the poo poo out of it. My only complaints are that the last few bosses were pretty easy, and the last few areas were a little simple compared to some of the mid-game content. I'd definitely like to play through it again. I think my character was a little OP by the end of it, with a max upgraded Level 5 Greataxe. Buffing it with holy damage took off huge chunks of boss health with every hit.

I also said gently caress it and didn't bother with a shield from about the mid-point on.

Parrying and shields don't seem to be of much use in this game, mainly because the 2D plane allows for much greater enemy variety and vertical combat than you'd see in the Souls titles - parrying is great and relatively simple when most of your baddie roster just crawls or stomps along the ground and tries to take piece out of you, but S&S has flying critters and sniper critters and angry blobs and lightning ghosts and suits of armor so big they need they own zip code, many of whom like to fight you in groups. It sucks, but a build that's just rolling around with a big-rear end chunk of metal to hit things with is far and away the best one in this game.

I guess it really does stick close to the Souls formula, DEX builds always get shafted.

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Mar 21, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I just transmuted my warhammer to the monstrous mace and it does almost twice as much damage as anything else I own or could transmute my greatsword to, and it's not that much slower. Is there any point to speccing for greatswords at all because greathammers and axes seem so much better in every way.

Damage types, mostly - the game favors Strike damage but it's nice to have something sharp on hand when that doesn't work. Also, greatswords have better reach, faster slashes, and less stamina usage than greathammers, so I prefer them for most bosses.

I just got the Northern Cross greatsword and it's a straight-up copy of the Carnage Scissors from Dishwater: Vampire Smile, it's great. Pair that with the Assassin Set and it's the Dishwasher all over again.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

I'm trying to follow along with the Solaire-buddy quests. I found the questing knight several times (he always seems to be right in the path) and the thief twice (she was kind of hidden the second time) but have yet to see the sorcerer at all. I just beat tree of men. Does he show up later of have I missed him?

The sorcerer shows up way late. All the locations are in the wiki, which I recommend looking up (I've already missed the thief).

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

Two questions. Does your starting class really matter and how many chances do you get to respec?

Starting class affects your beginning equipment set, and with the way the game doles out equipment that can count for a lot early on (pick a STR-based class like Paladin or Knight for an easier time, I went Hunter and regretted it). You get items that allow you to cancel certain nodes on the skill tree for respeccing, but they're few and far between. If you dump all your points into STR instead of DEX then don't expect to be able to reverse that partway through.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feenix posted:

Only thing in this game I am not enjoying (other than a map-wish) is not getting an Amber Idol. Having to farm-run the Gaoler thing in Red Cage is the easiest but has still taken me over an hour.

[ed] So far... with no drop yet.

The Gaoler drop is for chumps, just farm the fat dude outside the Forest Creed sanctuary. It'll still take a while, but the run's way less painful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Running around with a magic staff is a lot of fun, it definitely changes the game a lot. Now it plays kind of like Megaman meets Castlevania in a pretty fun way. I wish there were more spells around; I picked The Three as my starting creed and I got a cool staff that I've upgraded a bit, but no other spells besides fire and lightning. I also can't make the magic sword I want 'cause I can't find any stone alchemists anywhere, but I'm sure one's gonna be in the Castle of Storms someplace.

The first Stone Alchemist is right after getting the jester's brand, just backtrack a bit and use that obelisk.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Internet Friend posted:

I deleted two of them before I realized what happened, so I crashed the game with rings to get them back.

There's another greatsicssor that scales with magic but someone in this thread told me it's worse than the basic one.

The basic greatscissor is the best greatsword and maybe the best weapon in the game stats-wise, I'm surprised it hasn't been nerfed yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

poor life choice posted:

I already got Dragonbreath from the House of Splendor, it owns bones. I ended up throwing in with Fire/Sky because the Betrayer aesthetic is just too hilariously grimdark.

The Order of the Betrayer is unambiguously the best Creed in the game, but it comes at the terrible cost of making you feel like you're standing outside a Hot Topic for all eternity.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Feenix posted:

Any tips on the Dragon boss in the Cave of the Gods or whatever?

Also: I had a Headtaker greataxe but decided it was really slow and stuff so I made a Jaws of Death greatscissor. Was that a solid choice?

Jaws of Death is the best slashing-type weapon in the game, so well done, you.

Abuse the Strong attack whenever possible, it's two hits for the price of one and eats up most anything not strong against Slash.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NT Plus posted:

Pitchwoods are basically making me quit this. These death drops stink of fake difficulty.

Pitchwoods in general and that hellish platforming section in particular are all optional. The path to the boss in the Pitchwoods is almost entirely flat (though it has some nasty enemies on the way) and the only thing waiting at the end of that Megaman gauntlet is a Creed.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NT Plus posted:

:psyduck: Okay I think I missed a brand somewhere. I'm at the fort beyond the beach or whatever and there's a red wall I can't get past. I thought Bitchwoods was where I get that.

Nope, you get the Hardlight brand at the end of the Mire of Stench. Continue past where you fought That Stench Most Foul and there should be a short platforming section that'll drop you down to a little platform sticking out from the wall above the exit. The Brand NPC is there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

NT Plus posted:

I never ran into that boss.

Well, better go run into him then!

The Mire's not that hard to navigate, just keep trying to head up and you'll eventually reach a switch that opens the way to the boss.

• Locked thread